PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft Planning Portable Gaming Device

mor911
01-26-2006, 10:06 AM
In an effort to de-throne the iPod as the "cool gadget to have," Microsoft has put together a team to develope a device that will play music and games. The complexity of the games is undetermined. Will it be an MP3 player with some lo-tech quirky games on it (like the iPod -- That's not a bad thing)? Or will it be competition to the PSP (is a game machine that can play music)? Only time will tell.

BusinessWeek online brings us some insider information on a possible Microsoft branded portable digital media device. Sources inside the company suggest that Microsoft has put together a team that's considering the business end of an initiative to unseat Apple's iPod. Based on previous commentary by Xbox boss Peter Moore, the device would play games alongside music and videos, in an attempt to differentiate it from the multitude of "iPod beaters" (and failers).

http://www.joystiq.com/2006/01/26/microsoft-working-on-plans-for-portable-gaming-device/

After getting trounced for four years in the digital music business by Apple Computer (AAPL), Microsoft (MSFT) finally seems poised to do something about it. BusinessWeek has learned that the software giant is working on plans to develop its own portable digital media device to rival the iPod, rather than just providing technology to partners. Microsoft hasn't decided if it will go ahead. But sources inside the company and at its partners say Microsoft has put together a team that's considering the business end of such an initiative.

http://www.businessweek.com/technology/content/jan2006/tc20060126_148049.htm?campaign_id=rss_tech

http://www.finheaven.com/clear.gif
This isn't a real picture of the device (duh) but I thought it was cool.

UltraDol-Fan
01-26-2006, 10:49 AM
This would be cool news if I was like 10 and still had a place to play portable games. I'll stick with my iPod, that is unless this Microsoft one is super cool :D

(I hold out little hope for coolness, though, becaue M$ screws everything up when they touch it)

Bruzer
01-26-2006, 11:44 AM
dear god better be simple games we dont need 3 systems battling in each department microsoft needs to stick to windows and fix all the problems with it and not worry about competing. I microsoft is going to try to become a monopoly at this rate.

byroan
01-26-2006, 11:48 AM
I have a feeling MS is going to screw this one up.

Bruzer
01-26-2006, 12:28 PM
I dunno about that they got the money to get anyone that would make it a good product. Which they might but with thier money the can advertise the thing like crazy it will most likely take off. damn microsoft. Next they will go into board games and try to take that over.

mor911
01-26-2006, 12:35 PM
I have a feeling MS is going to screw this one up.
If they try to go head to head with the PSP they will fail. The hadheld game market is thick. Between the PSP, the DS, the GBA (all variations) there's too much room to fail in the hand held market. Call Nokia and ask 'em how well the N-Gage is doing :lol:

If they try to make an iPod-ish devide (mp3 player in the end) and make it play some decent games (GBA quality or better) with a decent control scheme, they may find a market.

K-train
01-26-2006, 08:07 PM
If they try to make an iPod-ish devide (mp3 player in the end) and make it play some decent games (GBA quality or better) with a decent control scheme, they may find a market.

That would be :eek:

Phinz420
01-26-2006, 08:22 PM

This is what I was thinking as well. I see Microsoft using this as more of a "multimedia portable device" rather than somthing that hinges directly on gaming. I know the PSP handles movies and MP3s as well, but im sure MS could add its own flavor of applications that would serve well on a portable device. Its pure speculation I know but MS seems to be targeting this multi-media craze more than pure gamers.