PDA

View Full Version : What would you want saban to do if...

Dolfansal
01-26-2006, 07:06 PM
Lets say that cutler goes #3 to tenn like some people are saying.

Would you want to trade up then for Young?

Caps
01-26-2006, 07:13 PM
I'd want to stay where we are.

Motion
01-26-2006, 07:19 PM
Absolutely not.

kitt23
01-26-2006, 07:29 PM
no id take croyle in the 2nd rd. i would draft another need like a OL or defensive back

caneaddict
01-26-2006, 07:43 PM
I would drool and become dlirious if we got Vince Young. However I'm generally against giving up draft picks to move up. Depends on how much it would cost but chances are it would cost about 10 times what I would give (which is a late round pick) to get him.

Our best shot is if Tenn takes Young and then trades Volek to Detroit. The Arizona trades for Pepper without giving up their 1st this year (maybe a mid rounder this year and a 1st or 2nd next year). Then there's a good shot Cutler would fall. But, the odds of us getting Young are just too slim.

phinfan_1
01-26-2006, 07:55 PM
No.....I'd take the best avaliable DB or OT. And if we don't get Hutchinson in FA then I'd take the best avalable G in the 2nd round. And if we don't get a GOOD QB in FA I'd pick a QB in the 3rd.

BigDogsHunt
01-26-2006, 08:09 PM
Well if Cutler goes at #3 and Young is on the board....I absolutely would not trade up to #4 and give the Jets extra draft picks. Never in a gazillion years would I trade in division and give extra picks......I would trade down though:lol: in division or not. Let the Jets draft VY for all I care.

We sit at #16 and take an immediate impact player just like last year.

ckparrothead
01-26-2006, 08:17 PM
The real question is if Young were on the board at #16, would you take him there?

That's a very real possibility.

Caps
01-26-2006, 08:27 PM
The real question is if Young were on the board at #16, would you take him there?

In the unlikely event that Young falls to us, you HAVE to take him. He's very raw, and he wouldn't be able to start for probably a year, but he has more potential than any QB to come along in years. At 16, you've got no choice but to take him.

ckparrothead
01-26-2006, 08:30 PM
Considering Mularkey's success with Kordell Stewart, it would indeed be difficult not to.

SF Dolphin Fan
01-26-2006, 08:35 PM
Young is so intriguing. I know people say he can't throw long, read defenses etc. But he has so much ability, is a winner and a leader. I think he would develop with the coaching staff Miami has in place.

That said, I think it will be too costly in terms of picks to move up. Miami isn't just a qb away although that is a big piece of the puzzle. This draft is loaded and I'd hate to see the Dolphins with just a few picks.

Dolfan_Noles
01-26-2006, 08:41 PM
Young led the nation in passing efficiency, ran all over every defense including an 80 yard TD win when the game was on the line on the road, and showed up in one of the biggest games in college football history. How can there still be questions about this guy? He is complete.

daniel3
01-26-2006, 08:44 PM
That said, I think it will be too costly in terms of picks to move up. Miami isn't just a qb away although that is a big piece of the puzzle. This draft is loaded and I'd hate to see the Dolphins with just a few picks.

Thanks and that applies to any QB in this years draft. Even if we got a Big Ben, its really a stretch to say that him alone is going to take us to the next level. Half our defense could retire in the next two years, so pretty much any draft pick we have for the next few years should be treated like gold.

daniel3
01-26-2006, 08:47 PM
Young led the nation in passing efficiency, ran all over every defense including an 80 yard TD win when the game was on the line on the road, and showed up in one of the biggest games in college football history. How can there still be questions about this guy? He is complete.

You have to understand that any athletic black QB is going to be compared to Michael Vick so thats why people are questioning him so much. He could have threw the ball up in the air, caught it himself, and ran for 99 yards, people would be questioning him. Heck if he did that, he'd be even more suspect, lol, because we all know that NFL players would never allow him to do that! It's not like some of these NFL players aren't the same players who were playing against him in college or anything.

BigDogsHunt
01-26-2006, 09:04 PM
Considering Mularkey's success with Kordell Stewart, it would indeed be difficult not to.

Yes, if VY falls to us at #16, then you do have to take him and Coach him up for NFL speed and tackling power for 3/4 of the first year...give him just enough snaps to make him realize a better/healthier way to play the game at this level and let him loose in year #2.

But his value to high to pass up at #16.

TimeGap
01-26-2006, 09:08 PM
I don't like us trading up, But I wont mind a bit if we traded down. We can use as much picks as we can get.

BigDogsHunt
01-26-2006, 09:10 PM

He is a complete STUD at the college level...no arguments.

But most of what he did at the college level wont have him surviving long in the NFL. I would like him to be around a long time if he was drafted by Miami.

I think he could be coached and taught to improve on his deficencies and he could be a very solid reliable passer and a threat scrambling for gains out of the pocket.

But the speed is so different, the power of tackling so harder, I just want his arm to speak louder than his legs for survival reasons.

ckparrothead
01-26-2006, 09:35 PM
The problem is that he is different from normal QBs. So different that a coordinator is going to have to design a whole new system to take advantage of his talents.

How many coordinators would be willing to do that? How many head coaches have their systems in place and think, I'll be danged if we're going to scrap the system we have been working to build for one guy. It doesn't even have to be that strong a feeling, it just becomes awfully easy to weigh on the one side upheaving everything to bring in Vince Young, vs. on the other side some prospect you may have already been looking at that allows you to keep the status quo.

Not to mention all the teams that feel they HAVE a QB.

Remember what happened to Rodgers last year? Basically because he got snubbed by the 49ers, Dolphins, Browns, and Bucs, he spiraled all the way to #24 because nobody else had thought seriously or prepared themselves for the eventuality that they could draft a QB in the first round. It takes a special commitment to draft a first round QB, even MORE of a specialized commitment to take a Vince Young. Think about it...at this time last year, had anyone between the #10 and #20 area seriously considered and therefore evaluated Aaron Rodgers? No, they all took it for granted that Rodgers was top 5. Taking a QB in the first round was some OTHER team's problem to consider, not theirs.

Similarly, how seriously are the Phins or any team above us evaluating Vince Young at the moment? Don't they all just assume he goes #1 to the Texans, #2 to the Saints, or #3 to the Titans? They probably assume #4 to the Jets too.

All it would take for Vince to be available #16 might be a snub from the Titans in favor of Cutler.

BigDogsHunt
01-26-2006, 10:19 PM
All it would take for Vince to be available #16 might be a snub from the Titans in favor of Cutler.

I would still be concerned over Millen in Detroit picking him at #9 (he is crazy enough to do it).

And if Culpepper is traded to Oak, I wouldnt be surprised to see Minn move up and grap him. Let Brad run the show for a year, and perhaps they feel VY is an upgrade over Dante.

But other than those two...yeah its possible VY could slide to #16 if all the other teams dont plan for the possiblity as you say.

caneaddict
01-26-2006, 11:20 PM
The problem is that he is different from normal QBs. So different that a coordinator is going to have to design a whole new system to take advantage of his talents.

How many coordinators would be willing to do that? How many head coaches have their systems in place and think, I'll be danged if we're going to scrap the system we have been working to build for one guy. It doesn't even have to be that strong a feeling, it just becomes awfully easy to weigh on the one side upheaving everything to bring in Vince Young, vs. on the other side some prospect you may have already been looking at that allows you to keep the status quo.

Not to mention all the teams that feel they HAVE a QB.

Remember what happened to Rodgers last year? Basically because he got snubbed by the 49ers, Dolphins, Browns, and Bucs, he spiraled all the way to #24 because nobody else had thought seriously or prepared themselves for the eventuality that they could draft a QB in the first round. It takes a special commitment to draft a first round QB, even MORE of a specialized commitment to take a Vince Young. Think about it...at this time last year, had anyone between the #10 and #20 area seriously considered and therefore evaluated Aaron Rodgers? No, they all took it for granted that Rodgers was top 5. Taking a QB in the first round was some OTHER team's problem to consider, not theirs.

Similarly, how seriously are the Phins or any team above us evaluating Vince Young at the moment? Don't they all just assume he goes #1 to the Texans, #2 to the Saints, or #3 to the Titans? They probably assume #4 to the Jets too.

You bring up a good point. I had thought about it earlier actually. Sometimes when a player drops below where he was supposed to go, he free falls becasue other teams aren't prepared and haven't done the full evaluation. No matter who is there, you never take a guy you didn't evaluate in the 1st round because teams get worried that there is somehting wrong that others know and that's why he's slipping. Only if you've done a complete evaluation to you feel comfortable taking the guy knowing there's nothing wrong with him.

I've said before, for one of the top 3 QB's to drop to us all that needs to happen is Arizona trades for Pepper without giving Minny this year's 1st (maybe a 2nd this year and a conditional pick next year that can be a 1st) and Detroit picking up or trading for a good veteran. Millen's job's on the line this year so I don't think he wants to count on a rookie. If Tennessee takes a QB then Detroit could trade for Volek who can get the ball vertical the way Millen wants.

If those two things happen then I figured we could have a shot at Cutler but if Cutler goes to Tennessee then suddenly the Raiders come into play because as much as they like Walters and would like to give him a chance to develop before using a high 1st on a QB, it would be real tough for a guy like Al Davis to pass on Vince Young's flash factor.

If Young does fall to us, I would be ecstatic.

PhinSoldia
01-26-2006, 11:44 PM

thats a bigger possibility than most think...and if he is there at sixteen...to the highest bidder he goes

caneaddict
01-26-2006, 11:54 PM
thats a bigger possibility than most think...and if he is there at sixteen...to the highest bidder he goes

if he's there .... to us he goes.

PhinSoldia
01-27-2006, 12:04 AM
if he's there .... to us he goes.

no sir we shall not

Motion
01-27-2006, 07:42 AM
Only if we turn around and trade him.

BALLS DEEP
01-27-2006, 12:42 PM
We need a QB more than any other position. I say do whatever it takes. If he needs to package my dog and wife into it to get the right QB, then go ahead! Whatever it takes. Be assertive.

BALLS DEEP
01-27-2006, 12:43 PM
I'm not saying the above about only Young. It's about whatever QB Saban believes in. Saban is Noah and he's building the ark. Our dreams are on his shoulders!