PDA

View Full Version : Frey admits lying; Oprah apologizes

BAMAPHIN 22
01-26-2006, 07:50 PM
In a stunning switch from dismissive to disgusted, Oprah Winfrey took on one of her chosen authors, James Frey, accusing him on live television of lying about “A Million Little Pieces” and letting down the many fans of his memoir of addiction and recovery.

“I feel duped,” she said Thursday on her syndicated talk show. “But more importantly, I feel that you betrayed millions of readers.”

Frey, who found himself booed in the same Chicago studio where he had been embraced not long ago, acknowledged that he had lied.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/11030647/

SkapePhin
01-26-2006, 08:18 PM
lol owned.

Roman529
01-26-2006, 08:22 PM
Oprah's fault.....she should have checked before pumping his book.

HysterikiLL
01-26-2006, 08:48 PM
All Oprah could think about was ratings. She would've adopted his kids if he was Syrian.

BAMAPHIN 22
01-28-2006, 12:16 AM
I hereby take back every snarky thing I’ve ever said about Oprah Winfrey.With her stunning admission on Thursday’s broadcast of “The Oprah Winfrey Show” that she’d been duped by James Frey, author of the now-disputed “A Million Little Pieces,” she single-handedly restored credibility to the concept of truth in advertising — and in publishing and journalism.
Her precision smackdown of Frey and his editor helped, by extension, to bolster the mission of the nation’s beleaguered ranks of mainstream journalists. And irresistibly, it all made for excellent television. “I left the impression that the truth doesn’t matter, and for that I am deeply sorry,” she said at the top of her live broadcast. “That is not what I believe….and to those who challenged me, you were absolutely right.”

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/11057835/

Scrap
01-28-2006, 08:45 AM
When she said it's "much ado about nothing", she was right. That book has supposedly helped alot of people get their lives together. I don't really care how true it is. I wouldn't be sitting around apologizing to the world, if I was him. I'd say, "If I helped even one person with my book, it was worth the lie". I highly doubt his book is the only one out there with a few lies in it.

Oprah only changed up, as a business move. I thought that was pretty weak.

Metal Panda
01-28-2006, 04:00 PM
Scrap, how much do you think people are going to be helped by a book if facts are grossly misstated? Did you read the smokinggun report? These weren't "minor" details. Readers of the book who were helped by it will probably be hurt by this finding.

He actually passed himself off as a victim in the 1986 train accident in which he wasn't even listed in the police reports.

He made up a story that on a cocaine high he ran down a cop, which police reports contradict.

Dishonesty is not a trait that should ever be praised. If the man did not believe his honest story was not something worth sharing with the masses, he shouldn't have written it. We should not need overdramatized Hollywood-esque slop to make a difference in our lives.

Silverphin
01-28-2006, 04:13 PM
Scrap, how much do you think people are going to be helped by a book if facts are grossly misstated?

Dishonesty is not a trait that should ever be praised.

:yeahthat:

Metal Panda
01-28-2006, 04:14 PM
:yeahthat:
http://www.thesmokinggun.com/jamesfrey/0104061jamesfrey2.html

everyone should read this entire 6 page report before daring to side with this man. These aren't ticky tack details, the guy basically fabricated most of the story.

Fictional stories can inspire people, yes. Not fictional stories that are being passed off as true, as to inspire other people in the same situation.

Essentially Mr. Frey is like Jon Lovitz's character on Seinfeld, who claimed to have cancer but essentially the details revealed it was just "believed" he had it for a while but he didn't really.

Silverphin
01-28-2006, 04:20 PM
This whole book controversy was very new to me. With me being more a Fiction book reader (with the exception of the occasional book report that requires the book to be Non-Fiction), when I heard the whole controversy about it a (few?) month(s) back, I was thinking wow.

I always respected Oprah. Her public verbal ownership of Frey just increased my respect even more.

Now, with me being the Chairman of the Owned Awards, I declare Frey.....

http://www.finheaven.com/clear.gif

Scrap
01-28-2006, 08:04 PM
The book HAS helped people. That's what REALLY matters. Oprah only changed her tune to support her own agenda. Her true feelings were represented in her call to Larry King. The apology was ONLY for business purposes, IMO.

ABrownLamp
01-28-2006, 08:09 PM
When she said it's "much ado about nothing", she was right. That book has supposedly helped alot of people get their lives together. I don't really care how true it is. I wouldn't be sitting around apologizing to the world, if I was him. I'd say, "If I helped even one person with my book, it was worth the lie". I highly doubt his book is the only one out there with a few lies in it.

Oprah only changed up, as a business move. I thought that was pretty weak.

You should be his publicist. That would be a great route.

ABrownLamp
01-28-2006, 08:11 PM
Scrap, how much do you think people are going to be helped by a book if facts are grossly misstated? Did you read the smokinggun report? These weren't "minor" details. Readers of the book who were helped by it will probably be hurt by this finding.

He actually passed himself off as a victim in the 1986 train accident in which he wasn't even listed in the police reports.

He made up a story that on a cocaine high he ran down a cop, which police reports contradict.

Dishonesty is not a trait that should ever be praised. If the man did not believe his honest story was not something worth sharing with the masses, he shouldn't have written it. We should not need overdramatized Hollywood-esque slop to make a difference in our lives.

Who cares, as long as it helps someone? What difference does it make if it is a fiction/non fiction/self help book. If it opens your eyes, it opens your eyes.

Metal Panda
01-29-2006, 12:51 AM
Who cares, as long as it helps someone? What difference does it make if it is a fiction/non fiction/self help book. If it opens your eyes, it opens your eyes.

WHO CARES IF SOMEONE IS HONEST? :rolleyes: Yea, let's throw all accountability out the window from now on.

You're not grasping what I'm saying. Fictional stories can move or help people, yes--if they're billed as such from the getgo. Otherwise it feels like a breach of trust to the reader. This book was deemed nonfiction from the getgo and was largely a lie--read the article. It's not like he said he weighed 164 pounds and really weighed 155. Many of the lies were big.

The book "helped people" because the people were under the impression that the events in the book were, well, ultimately real and thought that since the author had come such a long way, they could too. Do you really think anybody will feel the same way now knowing that much of it is fiction?

Obviously, the author's motive was not helping people. If he wanted to assist anybody he'd either have billed it as a fiction book from the getgo or he would have been completely honest. That he grossly misstated facts to extreme degrees shows that he was only interested in popularity, fame, and money.

How can this book open your eyes if the purpose of the book was to say "Hey, you can save yourself, look how I used to be and look how I am now" when the person who wrote the book invented half the details? I dislike the idea that you're saying dishonesty is ok and then blaming Oprah (whom I admit, the motives may not be the most honest on her end, but still).

I'll go ahead and write a book tomorrow about how I grew up in the ghetto and battled poverty and gang violence and wound up making a success out of myself and became very wealthy, and then in two months, I'll tell everyone I really grew up in a middle class suburb in a family that always had a roof over its head in a decent neighborhood, and I'm sure that will be acceptable because my book helped people and nobody will care that I was a liar all along.

Then again, judging from your post in the other thread, I doubt we'll ever see eye to eye. But your stance on this matter is shameful, in my opinion.

Scrap
01-29-2006, 02:29 PM
WHO CARES IF SOMEONE IS HONEST? :rolleyes: Yea, let's throw all accountability out the window from now on.

You're not grasping what I'm saying. Fictional stories can move or help people, yes--if they're billed as such from the getgo. Otherwise it feels like a breach of trust to the reader. This book was deemed nonfiction from the getgo and was largely a lie--read the article. It's not like he said he weighed 164 pounds and really weighed 155. Many of the lies were big.

The book "helped people" because the people were under the impression that the events in the book were, well, ultimately real and thought that since the author had come such a long way, they could too. Do you really think anybody will feel the same way now knowing that much of it is fiction?

Obviously, the author's motive was not helping people. If he wanted to assist anybody he'd either have billed it as a fiction book from the getgo or he would have been completely honest. That he grossly misstated facts to extreme degrees shows that he was only interested in popularity, fame, and money.

How can this book open your eyes if the purpose of the book was to say "Hey, you can save yourself, look how I used to be and look how I am now" when the person who wrote the book invented half the details? I dislike the idea that you're saying dishonesty is ok and then blaming Oprah (whom I admit, the motives may not be the most honest on her end, but still).

I'll go ahead and write a book tomorrow about how I grew up in the ghetto and battled poverty and gang violence and wound up making a success out of myself and became very wealthy, and then in two months, I'll tell everyone I really grew up in a middle class suburb in a family that always had a roof over its head in a decent neighborhood, and I'm sure that will be acceptable because my book helped people and nobody will care that I was a liar all along.

Then again, judging from your post in the other thread, I doubt we'll ever see eye to eye. But your stance on this matter is shameful, in my opinion.
You should also be mad at EVERY politician out there. They mislead us to get about half the votes they get.

and I'm sure that will be acceptable because my book helped people and nobody will care that I was a liar all along. I'd imagine that the only people complaining about the issue are either those who haven't read his book (and just like to complain), or are worthless cheapskates who were helped by his book, but are just hoping for a refund.

FACT: If you write a book (truth or lie), those who benefit from it should just shut the heck up, and appreciate the book for the lesson it taught them. Those who didn't buy the book, weren't harmed in the first place.

Scrap
01-29-2006, 02:33 PM
Exactly.

ABrownLamp
01-29-2006, 03:19 PM

ITS A BOOK!!!

The philosophy is the same whether it is real or fictional.

But I guess since you feel your opinions on those philosophies would change, everyone's will. Wow that is arrogant! And apparently, you know exactly how and why this book helped people. Do you know this book has sold millions of copies? You do understand that there are going to be quite a few people in those millions that do not think like you? But I guess your opion of the book, its author and the philosophy means that everyone should feel the same. And that absolutely everyone will think like you.

I can point to the televangelists whom, even after getting caught with prostitutes, money laundering and embezzlement still retain an enormous following as an example. People believe in the philosophy.

Not everyone thinks like you. And if one person changed their life because of the book, I don't know how you have an issue with it. And again, IT'S A BOOK!!!! BFD!!!

Scrap
01-29-2006, 05:29 PM
Would the truth have been enough to help so many people ? Probably not.

People want drastic examples.

Metal Panda
01-29-2006, 07:14 PM
You should also be mad at EVERY politician out there. They mislead us to get about half the votes they get.

Non-sequitur, and you're changing the subject. Nobody is talking about politicians here, and I take them to task just as much as I take anybody else.

I'd imagine that the only people complaining about the issue are either those who haven't read his book (and just like to complain), or are worthless cheapskates who were helped by his book, but are just hoping for a refund.

This is the worst example of a "strawman" I've ever seen in my life. You've now used two of the worst devices that one can ever use in an argument. Not doing much to help yourself.

FACT: If you write a book (truth or lie), those who benefit from it should just shut the heck up, and appreciate the book for the lesson it taught them. Those who didn't buy the book, weren't harmed in the first place.

Yea, I'm sure if Christians find out one day (and this may very well happen) that somebody made up the Bible in order to get them to live decent lives, I'm sure they'll feel absolutely great about it.

What you and ABrownLamp aren't understanding is this--when a book is put forth as nonfiction, it is perceived by audiences differently than something clearly billed as fiction. Someone might be moved by the story not because ideas and a moving story were put forth, but because they felt they could identify with the person telling the story and perhaps because they felt if someone that far gone could turn their life around, so could they.

Now, how do you think most of that population would feel if they found out the guy wasn't so far gone to begin with and he made up half of the details?

Not too good, I don't think.

Here's my problem with you and ABrownLamp--you don't believe in accountability. You seem to think dishonesty is no problem, and make excuses for the man who wrote the book.

Metal Panda
01-29-2006, 07:17 PM
Would the truth have been enough to help so many people ? Probably not.

People want drastic examples.

There are plenty of people in the world today, even if they aren't the majority, that don't need overromanticized schlock to learn or be moved by something.

And I don't believe in catering to those that do, because they're the same people that make stuff like Armaggedon box office smashes :/.

Metal Panda
01-29-2006, 07:24 PM
ITS A BOOK!!!

What a compelling point. So what is it you are saying, since it is a book, it should not be held to any standards? That's a nonsensical point if I've ever heard one.

The philosophy is the same whether it is real or fictional.

No it isn't. Again, I am not saying fictional books cannot inspire, but someone draws a much different inspiration from a non-fiction book because (supposedly) the person who wrote the story actually went through it, and you can learn from them. Fiction stories are definitely capable of touching people's lives as well, and people can identify with characters in a story, but one downfall of fiction might be that some people could easily say "Yes, but that's a story...who knows if this would happen in real life".

But all of this is besides the point--either non-fiction or fiction is fine, as long as they are billed as such. Passing off a bunch of lies as non-fiction is not only insulting to the target audience, but did you ever stop to think it's insulting to writers as well? It's hard to sell a book in this day and age, and even harder when some of your peers are lying to increase sales.

But I guess since you feel your opinions on those philosophies would change, everyone's will. Wow that is arrogant!

You're such a hypocrite. One can clearly infer from your past writings that you clearly believe nobody will be affected by the new revelations, which is pretty "arrogant" by your own definition. Hope it feels good being hoist upon your own petard.

And apparently, you know exactly how and why this book helped people. Do you know this book has sold millions of copies? You do understand that there are going to be quite a few people in those millions that do not think like you? But I guess your opion of the book, its author and the philosophy means that everyone should feel the same. And that absolutely everyone will think like you.

I can point to the televangelists whom, even after getting caught with prostitutes, money laundering and embezzlement still retain an enormous following as an example. People believe in the philosophy.

You might want to pick a better example than televangelism, which is one of the more scumworthy fields that exist.

Not everyone thinks like you. And if one person changed their life because of the book, I don't know how you have an issue with it. And again, IT'S A BOOK!!!! BFD!!!

So wait, it's just a book, but people might be changing their lives because of it? Do you not see the cognitive dissonance you're putting forth here?

spydertl79
01-29-2006, 11:43 PM
I admire Oprah immensely, and this only makes me admire her more. ADmitting when you're wrong is something that many people can not do easily, myself included.

Scrap
01-30-2006, 08:05 AM
Newsflash: Mom and Dad lied about Christmas. Let's feel duped, and give back all those gifts. Lies happen all the time, and we don't complain until a guy writes a book ? :sidelol:

So tell me Rob ..... What do you think the view of those who've changed their lives for the better (because of this book) should be ?

Careful now....you don't want to make yourself look like one of those people who end up suing the EMT's who save their lives. (Because they get bruised up a little.) That is how ridiculously I will view any person who benefits by that book, and then ******* about it. Some people just love to complain though.

Scrap
01-30-2006, 08:10 AM
One more thing...The Bible was brought up. IF there are a few lies in the Bible (yet Christians make it to Heaven for living the life the Bible showed them) I highly doubt they (myself included) will be complaining the way most of the Oprah book club people are.

dreday
01-30-2006, 03:04 PM
She sure grilled him good on the show.He looked like a total ******.I guess he'll learn to either lie better or just simply tell the truth.How embarrassing.As for her shes got to protect that "brand".Remember she is a business.

Metal Panda
02-05-2006, 01:38 PM
Newsflash: Mom and Dad lied about Christmas. Let's feel duped, and give back all those gifts. Lies happen all the time, and we don't complain until a guy writes a book ? :sidelol:

This is, quite singlehandedly, the most ignorant assertion I've ever read in my life. "Lying" about Santa Claus and writing a half-concocted phony autobiographical story and passing it off as "non-fiction" are apparently on the same scale of significance, in your eyes.

What next, are you going to compare a bully smashing your sand castle to dropping an atomic bomb?

To quote a poster (working on a masters) on another message board whom I showed this thread to:

"What a wishy-washy lot Americans have turned into! Who cares about, well, anything, as long as it makes people feel good about themselves!"

Metal Panda
02-05-2006, 01:41 PM
One more thing...The Bible was brought up. IF there are a few lies in the Bible (yet Christians make it to Heaven for living the life the Bible showed them) I highly doubt they (myself included) will be complaining the way most of the Oprah book club people are.

What if the lies were more significant, aka, they made up the whole concept of an afterlife?

I've been pitching that the Bible go into the "mythology" section in the bookstore for years anyway.

ABrownLamp
02-05-2006, 02:07 PM
What a compelling point. So what is it you are saying, since it is a book, it should not be held to any standards? That's a nonsensical point if I've ever heard one.

Nah. I'm saying its nothing to get riled up about. Because its a book.
What do you want to do prosecute him? Lock him up? Get over it. Its a book.

But all of this is besides the point--either non-fiction or fiction is fine, as long as they are billed as such. Passing off a bunch of lies as non-fiction is not only insulting to the target audience, but did you ever stop to think it's insulting to writers as well? It's hard to sell a book in this day and age, and even harder when some of your peers are lying to increase sales.

Yep. In no way was I suggesting that he did the right thing. All I'm saying is that its a book. And if it helped someone great. If it didn't life goes on. And if people are upset (especially people like you who didnt even read it) please get over it and find something a bit more important to get upset over.

You're such a hypocrite. One can clearly infer from your past writings that you clearly believe nobody will be affected by the new revelations, which is pretty "arrogant" by your own definition. Hope it feels good being hoist upon your own petard.

LOL. Dude, if someone falls back into a depression or goes back to drugs because they find out the book was fiction, I have no sympathy whatsoever....because that would be pathetic.

So wait, it's just a book, but people might be changing their lives because of it? Do you not see the cognitive dissonance you're putting forth here?

If people change their lives for the better that's great. If someone receeds back into the depths because they find out its fiction, and it changes their lives in that way, then this book was only one of about a million things that was going to push them over the edge. Most people will say what an idiot and move on. Then there are others who go on a tirade about how this book has affected people without knowing a person affected or having read the book. Seriously, find something else to get upset over.

ABrownLamp
02-05-2006, 02:12 PM
This is, quite singlehandedly, the most ignorant assertion I've ever read in my life. "Lying" about Santa Claus and writing a half-concocted phony autobiographical story and passing it off as "non-fiction" are apparently on the same scale of significance, in your eyes.

What next, are you going to compare a bully smashing your sand castle to dropping an atomic bomb?

To quote a poster (working on a masters) on another message board whom I showed this thread to:

"What a wishy-washy lot Americans have turned into! Who cares about, well, anything, as long as it makes people feel good about themselves!"

ppffft...what a hyperbolic analogy.

ABrownLamp
02-05-2006, 02:13 PM
What if the lies were more significant, aka, they made up the whole concept of an afterlife?

I've been pitching that the Bible go into the "mythology" section in the bookstore for years anyway.

Do you think the Religion section would be a more approptiate place, genius?

Rocky Raccoon
02-05-2006, 02:13 PM
Can someone tell me briefly what the book was about and what the lies were?...the link isn't working for me...and I haven't actually heard about it.

ABrownLamp
02-05-2006, 02:18 PM
Can someone tell me briefly what the book was about and what the lies were?...the link isn't working for me...and I haven't actually heard about it.

Some dude wrote that he got arrested a bunch of times, spent time in prison, was a drug addict and saw friends/girlfriends/family die...then saw the light and reformed. He lied. BFD. Buy another book.

Rocky Raccoon
02-05-2006, 02:23 PM
Some dude wrote that he got arrested a bunch of times, spent time in prison, was a drug addict and saw friends/girlfriends/family die...then saw the light and reformed. He lied. BFD. Buy another book.

wow :shakeno:...

thanks for the info man!