PDA

View Full Version : ORLANDO Fin fans! Please help...

TheMageGandalf
01-27-2006, 02:13 PM
OK guys, so my job forces me to relocate ...AGAIN...

First from MIAMI where I could see my Fins whenever I wanted to Tampa and Bucs country garbage...

Then now to Orlando...not Miami like I have requested for over a year now...Orlando...

SO...Whats the deal there with Fin games on TV?

Yes, I know about Direct TV but being that I'll be in an apartment complex odds are I won't be able to get a dish...

How many games are on regular TV during the year out of the 16 compared to Tampa?

In my 2 years here I would say Tampa shows about 8 games a year...more if they are Prime time but basically 8...but as high as 10-12 if there are some Prime Time games.

I know the Jags get the rights up there and since they are AFC, I want to know if I am more screwed now than ever or what?

UCF FinFan
01-27-2006, 02:21 PM
I wouldn't say you are screwed, but I'd definately say be ready to see the Jaugars or the Bucs alot more then our beloved Dolphins. Both those markets are closer so you see alot more of their games. DirectTV is probably the best way to go, but if your apartment doesn't allow it then most of the sports bars have NFL GamePlan so you can watch the games there. Trust me I've been in the same boat now for 3 years....welcome to the neighborhood!

Zounds
01-27-2006, 02:30 PM
You can get a dish in an apartement, just make sure you have a clear line of sight to the south or you cant get one. I had one mounted inside my apt pointing out the window to the south. Worked perfect.

About half the games are televised here. There may be more televised games this year depending on how many primtime games we have, and with the addition of the Thanksgiving Day game vs Detroit.

nydolphinfan
01-27-2006, 02:51 PM
How far a drive it is from Tampa to Miami? I was thinking about moving to Tampa and would like to get season tickets (if possible).

UCFinfan
01-27-2006, 03:08 PM
Say hello to NFL Sunday Ticket or find a good bar. It seemed like we maybe got 6 games.

Orlando-FinsFan
01-27-2006, 03:13 PM
It's definately frustrating. Jacksonville rules the AFC airwaves in Orlando. The Winghouse is a cool place to watch the games. They usually put the Fins on the larger TVs. Either that or the Sunday Ticket is your best alternative.

...and there is always Season Tickets and make the 4 hr. trek for the home games! :)

:dolphins:

Xeus24
01-27-2006, 03:16 PM
Man this was my first Season in Orlando... We get screwed alot.... one we have to hope the Jags are playing at home then we have to hope our game is not on fox... We got screwed alot this year I think there was a span of 4 weeks The game wasnt on TV here. You might get 40 % of the games. I had to go out and Get Direct TV.

NO Direct TV there always Smokey Bones:dolphins:

fishfan34
01-27-2006, 03:17 PM
How far a drive it is from Tampa to Miami? I was thinking about moving to Tampa and would like to get season tickets (if possible).
It's a good 4 to 4 1/2 hour drive... Not to mention you obviously are award of how congested I-95 and the Turnpike get a few hours before game time.. so your best bet would be to stay in Miami the night before the game.. I live in Tampa and I usually go to about 5 games a year and I just stay with my sister in Wellington the night before and then drive down the morning of..

Also, I bought my sister a slingbox for christmas because I know she watches all the games down there.. so during the games I just turn on my lap top and get the signal from her slingbox and watch the Dolphins game that way.. we tried it out the last game of the season against the Patriots and it worked like a charm..

Xeus24
01-27-2006, 03:17 PM
It's definately frustrating. Jacksonville rules the AFC airwaves in Orlando. The Winghouse is a cool place to watch the games. They usually put the Fins on the larger TVs. Either that or the Sunday Ticket is your best alternative.

...and there is always Season Tickets and make the 4 hr. trek for the home games! :)

:dolphins:

Im going to have to try winghouse I always go to smokey bones they have speakers in each table so you can listen to your game while you watch.. But I think I rather see the chicks at Winghouse then Hear Randy Cross.:sidelol:

miamirick
01-27-2006, 03:21 PM
If I were to live in Orlando I would drive down for as many games as I possibly could. At about 80-85 mph its a roughly 3 1/2 to 4 hour drive....not too bad if you asked me.

Also, if thats not feasible, couldn't you at least request an apartment where directv is allowed and if not, heck, request a room with a view of the South-SouthWest sky and do what the other dude in here did.

By the way...did you know that it is illegal for an apartment complex to forbid directv? I read that somewhere..

Roman529
01-27-2006, 03:22 PM
I used to live in Orlando and there are a few sportsbars that pick up every game. If you spend about $10 at a sportsbar x 16 games it comes out to about the same as getting the NFL Ticket....I like sportsbars just because I can watch all the games and keep up with my fantasy football players. You just smell like cigarettes though. :mad:

Finaddict
01-27-2006, 03:27 PM

about six hours.

GreenMachine
01-27-2006, 03:27 PM
I used to live in Orlando and there are a few sportsbars that pick up every game. If you spend about $10 at a sportsbar x 16 games it comes out to about the same as getting the NFL Ticket....I like sportsbars just because I can watch all the games and keep up with my fantasy football players. You just smell like cigarettes though. :mad:

I actually am a bartender at a Smokey Bones here..BTW you can't smoke in restaurants anymore..just bars with little or no food.

We do $6 pitchers of domestic, and $10 buckets of 6..Your own personal speaker, so you can listen to the game you want.

There are usually a bunch of Fin Fans..

And we are the Official restaurant of the Miami Hurricanes...

JPenedo
01-27-2006, 03:30 PM
Yeah, def find a bar. Its where I go when the games arent televised and its a pretty good environment. Whats better then watching a game with a bunch of fin fans? Better then watching alone sometimes.

Roman529
01-27-2006, 03:44 PM
I actually am a bartender at a Smokey Bones here..BTW you can't smoke in restaurants anymore..just bars with little or no food.

We do $6 pitchers of domestic, and $10 buckets of 6..Your own personal speaker, so you can listen to the game you want.

There are usually a bunch of Fin Fans..

And we are the Official restaurant of the Miami Hurricanes...

Great!!! They had an amendment on the ballot here in Colorado to ban smoking in all bars and restaurants but it did not pass. I don't mind putting up with a little smoke as long as it is not when I am eating. :mad: They had a sportsbar in Orlando that I went too that had a big green gator on the outside.....can't think of the name? They have a Steelers bar about a mile from my house where they show all the games and the Steeler games on a 10 foot HD tv that rocks...they have Rolling Rock and Yeunglings specials,,,,the food is great and nice waitresses.....they had over 300 Steeler fans in there last week and it will be stading room only for the SB. We also have a Dolphins bar here with about 20-50 Dolphin fans. :)

bigmiamifan
01-27-2006, 03:56 PM
We normally get about 10 games televised here because we are in the Jags area according to the NFL. However, this past year we only got 6-8 games and many, many, many local fin fans called and complained (like I suggested) so much so that the local channel is taking the number of calls, logging the stats and is going to approach the NFL about getting out of the Jags control and being able to be in the Dolphin market. So, everyone should cross your fingers and definitely CALL avery game that is not televised.

finfan32
01-27-2006, 04:31 PM
orlandos market sucks......even though there are far more dolphins fans here than jags, were in their market, my advice to you: find a bar that you really like. less than half the games are on local tv.

nydolphinfan
01-27-2006, 04:33 PM
Thanks for all the info.

finfan32
01-27-2006, 04:34 PM
We normally get about 10 games televised here because we are in the Jags area according to the NFL. However, this past year we only got 6-8 games and many, many, many local fin fans called and complained (like I suggested) so much so that the local channel is taking the number of calls, logging the stats and is going to approach the NFL about getting out of the Jags control and being able to be in the Dolphin market. So, everyone should cross your fingers and definitely CALL avery game that is not televised.

sorry to burst your bubble, i was talking to my father about the fins/buc fiasco this past year, and hes friends with the director of channel 6 (the station that carries the afc), and he said, that unless the jags move their franchise (which is actually very possible), the dolphins will never have priority in orlando, there is no contract experation, it is an agreement the jags made when the franchise started.

finfan32
01-27-2006, 04:37 PM
Great!!! They had an amendment on the ballot here in Colorado to ban smoking in all bars and restaurants but it did not pass. I don't mind putting up with a little smoke as long as it is not when I am eating. :mad: They had a sportsbar in Orlando that I went too that had a big green gator on the outside.....can't think of the name? They have a Steelers bar about a mile from my house where they show all the games and the Steeler games on a 10 foot HD tv that rocks...they have Rolling Rock and Yeunglings specials,,,,the food is great and nice waitresses.....they had over 300 Steeler fans in there last week and it will be stading room only for the SB. We also have a Dolphins bar here with about 20-50 Dolphin fans. :)

wheres the dolphins bar at? i live in lake mary, i go to a place called mt muggs, the owner is a friend, and hes a huge dolpihins fan, so he has two big screen televisions just for the fins games (plus the other nfl games, on other tv's), and has dolphins memorablia set us, its pretty cool, but i always like to hear of other bars. there are a ton of steelers fans there too.

finfan32
01-27-2006, 04:39 PM
If I were to live in Orlando I would drive down for as many games as I possibly could. At about 80-85 mph its a roughly 3 1/2 to 4 hour drive....not too bad if you asked me.

Also, if thats not feasible, couldn't you at least request an apartment where directv is allowed and if not, heck, request a room with a view of the South-SouthWest sky and do what the other dude in here did.

By the way...did you know that it is illegal for an apartment complex to forbid directv? I read that somewhere..

im a season ticket holder, and i live in north orlando, its much closer than what you said, i make it to the stadium in about 2 1/3 to maybe 3 hours on game day.

Fran2fin
01-27-2006, 06:17 PM
Man this was my first Season in Orlando... We get screwed alot.... one we have to hope the Jags are playing at home then we have to hope our game is not on fox... We got screwed alot this year I think there was a span of 4 weeks The game wasnt on TV here. You might get 40 % of the games. I had to go out and Get Direct TV.

NO Direct TV there always Smokey Bones:dolphins:

yeah, there's always Smoky Bones - good food too .......'05 was the worst....only about 6 games....I e-mailed CBS and asked why 4 weeks in a row we didn't get the Fins 3 0f the 4 were Jags. I told them there were no Jags fans here ....very few ....never had a reply ...since CBS signed a contract withe Jags for last year and they chose Orlando for their secondary source, things have gone down hill for Fin fans....Everyone has written and complained to no avail....Don't know what we will get this year....Mr H needs to contract with a network that wants to show Dolphin games. Wish something would be done....have to wait and see...Direct TV is one answer and there was a list of Orlando Sports Bars listed on Finheaven during last season who definitely show the Dolphins. Will post it if any info comes available......Luckily We got Joe Rose's show on FM radio ...105.9.

ohall
01-27-2006, 06:35 PM

First from MIAMI where I could see my Fins whenever I wanted to Tampa and Bucs country garbage...

Then now to Orlando...not Miami like I have requested for over a year now...Orlando...

Yes, I know about Direct TV but being that I'll be in an apartment complex odds are I won't be able to get a dish...

How many games are on regular TV during the year out of the 16 compared to Tampa?

In my 2 years here I would say Tampa shows about 8 games a year...more if they are Prime time but basically 8...but as high as 10-12 if there are some Prime Time games.

I know the Jags get the rights up there and since they are AFC, I want to know if I am more screwed now than ever or what?

You can see prob watch 8-12 Dolphin games a year in the Orlando area. It all depends on the Jag's schedule however.

UCFinfan
01-27-2006, 06:38 PM
I think that the Winghouse and Beef O'Bradys are the best places to watch the games.

John Biello
01-27-2006, 11:17 PM
bull****. i live 5 mins from universal and drive to every home game. you hop on the turnpinke i leave at 630 am sunday morning and im back by 8pm sunday nite. traffic moves quickyl it takes no more than 3 and as half hours tops. its the 30 dollars in tolls and gas money that sucks, but its def worth it

phinman1
01-28-2006, 12:12 AM
There is a bar right off Lake Ivanhoe that is all Dolphins. It's colors on the outside are orange, aqua, and white. Don't know the name.

UCF_Dolfan
01-28-2006, 12:19 AM
i live in east orlando and it takes me an hour to get back to my hometown on the spacecoast (southeast)....and then there's another 3-4 hour drive to miami.....there's no way you can make it to miami from north orlando in less than 3 hours unless you did 120 the whole way maybe....

as far as the game schedule...everyone is pretty much on the ball....it sucks....i remember a time when we got to see almost every game....

i don't tend to hate......but i HATE the jags.......and no luck on them moving anytime soon...i thought i just read a while back that they renewed their contract with the stadium and the city and will be here at least a few more years.....i hope they move to L.A. or something....freakin jags

John Biello
01-28-2006, 01:09 AM
i do between 75 and 90 the whole way down with traffic. its 225 miles from universla studious to the stadium, i get on i4 off sand lake road and im there in a little over 3 hours

TheMageGandalf
01-28-2006, 03:57 AM
Thanks for all of the great help guys :D .

I've applied for a few positions in Miami, so hopefully, I can tell my current job to shove it and I can move back down to my home town again.

If not, I guess I will have to get a dish and figure out how to mount it on a pole or something because as long as its not mounted on the apartment complex itself, they could care less.

Metal Panda
01-28-2006, 11:19 AM

Orlando, the Jags are the secondary team so anytime the Jags play on the road, Miami is not on television (unless they're playing an NFC team typically then they wind up on Fox and fight with the Bucs for tv).

However, most any sports bar in Orlando has Sunday Ticket and shows Dolphins games. Namely the Kerryman Irish Pub in Longwood (where I always go when it's not on local tv, and it's a blast), and also a bunch more in the Orlando area.

You'll be fine.

Metal Panda
01-28-2006, 11:21 AM
bull****. i live 5 mins from universal and drive to every home game. you hop on the turnpinke i leave at 630 am sunday morning and im back by 8pm sunday nite. traffic moves quickyl it takes no more than 3 and as half hours tops. its the 30 dollars in tolls and gas money that sucks, but its def worth it

yea I live in Longwood and we usually get there much earlier than anticipated every drive (about what you said).

the reason being of course the first 2 and a half hours you're driving on a pretty much empty road.

last time it took me over 4 hours though cuz I got in an accident on the way. the one bummer to having to road trip out there :/

John Biello
01-28-2006, 01:34 PM
that or a flat tire can ruin the trip man, that sucks. im using this offseason to gear up for next year, getting all my tail gate essentials new grill face paint parking pass extra ticket, last year i was a rookie, this year im gonna step my game up. all us orlando guys should shoot down together for one

Metal Panda
01-28-2006, 03:31 PM
that or a flat tire can ruin the trip man, that sucks. im using this offseason to gear up for next year, getting all my tail gate essentials new grill face paint parking pass extra ticket, last year i was a rookie, this year im gonna step my game up. all us orlando guys should shoot down together for one

not a bad idea. my best friend and I go each year. I'm thinking next time, I plan it way in advance, take the following Monday off, go down SATURDAY NIGHT and get a hotel room (that way any mishaps on the way don't cause me to miss 6 minutes of the first quarter <frown>) so we can just either walk or bus down there or something...or drive.

at least I made it this last year, and was rewarded with a 34-10 arsewhooping.