PDA

View Full Version : Expedition Everest!!!!

Nublar7
01-27-2006, 03:31 PM
Just got word that I am heading back down to Florida(tonight) to get an advanced test ride of Expedition Everest at Walt Disney World(It isn't open to the main public yet). It is supposed to be a new breakthrough roller coaster ride. Plus, there is a huge audio-animatronic Yeti that is supposed to be out of this world. When I get back Sunday night I will tell you about my experience and post pictures and video for those who want to see it. Later!

Here is an artist rendering of the mountain:

http://www.finheaven.com/images/imported/2006/01/EverestSmall-1.jpg

ILPhinFan88
01-27-2006, 03:41 PM
Just got word that I am heading back down to Florida(tonight) to get an advanced test ride of Expedition Everest at Walt Disney World(It isn't open to the main public yet). It is supposed to be a new breakthrough roller coaster ride. Plus, there is a huge audio-animatronic Yeti that is supposed to be out of this world. When I get back Sunday night I will tell you about my experience and post pictures and video for those who want to see it. Later!

Here is an artist rendering of the mountain:

http://www.finheaven.com/images/imported/2006/01/EverestSmall-1.jpg

How do you get to ride it early, are you in a Roller Coaster Enthusist Club?

Jt0323
01-27-2006, 03:43 PM
nice, that should be fun! have fun!

HansMojo
01-27-2006, 04:07 PM
Sweet man. We were at Disney this past summer and I got a bunch of pictures of the mountain while under construction. I am so dying to ride that thing and can't wait to hear what you think of it! Everyone in my family is such a Disney freak it's not even funny. We were there for 10 days back in June and it hurt to leave when it was over. :cry: :lol:

Animal Kingdom used to be a 1/2 day park at best, but we really had fun there this last time and that was before Everest. I'm still hoping they'll build Beastly Kingdom as a whole new section of the park some day.

With the Pixar buyout, I think Disney is really going to get back to it's old form in the coming years. It already kind of is and everything I have read about Everest says the attention to detail is amazing. Steve Jobs should be great on Disney's board and with Lasseter heading up Disney Animation as well as being the new Principal Creative Advisor for Walt Disney Imagineering, things are looking rather bright over at the mouse house IMHO.

Have fun man!

GreenMonster
01-27-2006, 04:28 PM
How do you get to ride it early, are you in a Roller Coaster Enthusist Club?

Seriously that rules, should be alot of fun. Did they get rid of the old rail coaster?

Pagan
01-27-2006, 04:30 PM
Nublaqr, PLEASE tell me it'll be open in May! I'm heading back down there then....I've been DYING to ride that thing!

GreenMachine
01-27-2006, 04:34 PM
Disney opened the coaster to it's cast members for a prieview...

I drive "thru" Disney everyday to get to work. I have seen that coaster go from scaffolding to Mountain. You can actually see the peak of the "mountain" from rt 192..It's pretty surreal.

http://www.disneyeverest.com/

HysterikiLL
01-27-2006, 04:39 PM
I was the first ever person to ride the Jurassic Park ride in Disneyland in '96 :D

Nublar7
01-30-2006, 01:05 AM
Alright guys, I am back from my mini trip down to Disney for the Everest ride. It was great! Below is a link to video I took from the ride(it includes the outside of the mountain, some of the line, and the ride itself). As most of you probably know, it is VERY hard to video tape while you are on a fast roller coaster, so some of it is jerky looking. Some things to note before you watch it(if you choose to) is that in the dark are(after you start to go backwards) the train goes up a hill real fast and it creates a strong pull on your body. It is intense.

One last thing, the very last cave the train goes through has the animatronic Yeti. That thing is unbelievable in person and you don't get to see it real well in the video. You can't appreciate the work that was put into him unless you are actually there. As you pass him his big hand swoops down close to the train. By the way, the Yeti is 20 feet tall!!! :eek:

Video: http://rapidshare.de/files/12143744/everest.wmv.html

Also, if you want to see what the Yeti looks like I found some pictures that were online of him. Really clear shots:

http://img82.imageshack.us/img82/1580/yetiwlogo2um.jpg

http://img57.imageshack.us/img57/2626/yetifacewlogo7lb.jpg

Also, you wonder why I got to ride it early? Well, my family(like HansMojo) really like the Disney parks. We usually visit probably twice a year and sometimes even go down just for like 2-3 days. SO, we have annual passes. This weekend was a sneak preview for only people with annual passes.

Pagan, I believe the main grand opening is sometime in April, though people will be able to ride it before then. You will be able to go on it. :)

PS: I rode it six times. :wink:

Roman529
01-30-2006, 01:10 AM
Congrats Nub!!!! I have never been on a rollercoaster. :(

Nublar7
01-30-2006, 01:15 AM
Congrats Nub!!!! I have never been on a rollercoaster. :(
Really? How come? :confused:

d-day
01-30-2006, 01:20 AM
that was awesome nublar - just got done watching it - can't wait to go - i've got a friend coming in april she has that on the list of things to do - cant wait... :dday:

Roman529
01-30-2006, 01:22 AM
Really? How come? :confused:

Scared of heights. :D

Nublar7
01-30-2006, 01:27 AM
that was awesome nublar - just got done watching it - can't wait to go - i've got a friend coming in april she has that on the list of things to do - cant wait... :dday:
The really cool thing is that at parts(like the one at the broken track right before you go backwards) the track behind you actually flips over. So, you go backwards on the same track for a little then you switch over to another track. Same thing happens when you start to go forward in the room with the shadow of the Yeti.

The ride may not go upside down like some roller coaster people might like, but the themeing makes up for it. Best ride at Disney World, imo.

Nublar7
01-30-2006, 01:28 AM
Scared of heights. :D
;) I see. My mom is the same exact way.

Roman529
01-30-2006, 01:30 AM
;) I see. My mom is the same exact way.

I liked the Teacup ride near Epcot Center though. :D

Pagan
01-30-2006, 07:56 AM
Also, you wonder why I got to ride it early? Well, my family(like HansMojo) really like the Disney parks. We usually visit probably twice a year and sometimes even go down just for like 2-3 days. SO, we have annual passes. This weekend was a sneak preview for only people with annual passes.

Pagan, I believe the main grand opening is sometime in April, though people will be able to ride it before then. You will be able to go on it. :)

PS: I rode it six times. :wink:
Believe it or not, even though I'm in NY I have annual passes also, and go down at least twice a year for 9 days each time. I wish I could have gone down this weekend for the test run! GREAT that it'll be open in May when I get there!

The video looks great Nub, and that photo of the Yeti is incredible! MAN I can't wait!!! :rawk:

Nublar7
01-30-2006, 12:16 PM
I liked the Teacup ride near Epcot Center though. :D:lol: Sometimes I get sick on the Teacup ride if we spin it too fast.

Believe it or not, even though I'm in NY I have annual passes also, and go down at least twice a year for 9 days each time. I wish I could have gone down this weekend for the test run! GREAT that it'll be open in May when I get there!

The video looks great Nub, and that photo of the Yeti is incredible! MAN I can't wait!!! :rawk:You wouldn't have believed home many people actually have annual passes. At park opening, the line of annual pass holders for Everest was already over 100 minutes. :eek: It died down a little as the day went on, plus we got fast passes and even stood in the single riders line.

HansMojo
01-30-2006, 05:14 PM

The video looks great Nub, and that photo of the Yeti is incredible! MAN I can't wait!!! :rawk:
I know what you mean man. I have an annual pass myself even though I only go once a year. If you stay on property it pays for itself because of the room discount they give passholders. All the other discounts you get (merchandise, food, etc) are just gravy. AP holder for life! :cooldude:

Pagan
01-30-2006, 05:34 PM
I know what you mean man. I have an annual pass myself even though I only go once a year. If you stay on property it pays for itself because of the room discount they give passholders. All the other discounts you get (merchandise, food, etc) are just gravy. AP holder for life! :cooldude:
I save money hand over foot on every trip I take.

I stay off property at hotels that a friend of mine who works for a tour group down there gets me for her rate. Usually anywhere from $39 to $59 a night. Not crappy ones either. Last trip I was at the Radisson. NICE pool! :D

On top of that I belong to the Disney Dining Experience. $75 a year membership, and you save from 10 to 20% on meals at EVERY Disney restaurant.

Pays for itself in like three nights.

HansMojo
01-30-2006, 05:44 PM

I stay off property at hotels that a friend of mine who works for a tour group down there gets me for her rate. Usually anywhere from $39 to $59 a night. Not crappy ones either. Last trip I was at the Radisson. NICE pool! :D

On top of that I belong to the Disney Dining Experience. $75 a year membership, and you save from 10 to 20% on meals at EVERY Disney restaurant.

Cool man. It's always nice to know someone like that. I used to have a friend that worked for Interval International and so could get us time share weeks for free...but alas those days are over. :boohoo:

Priceline is a great way to save money on off site resorts. Sites like betterbidding.com help you predict which resort you'll get too so it's pretty safe. We've always had very good luck with it, but I've heard horror stories...

Roman529
01-30-2006, 06:16 PM
[QUOTE=Nublar7]:lol: Sometimes I get sick on the Teacup ride if we spin it too fast.

I love speed but just can't take heights...I get vertigo really bad....I probably would be ok on a rollercoaster, until I get to the top of the ride and have to look down. I would love to ride in a F16 though.

TheAnswer385
01-30-2006, 06:22 PM
very cool nubs

Nublar7
02-01-2006, 01:47 AM

The Disney Dining rocks! Like you said, it pays for itself.

We also are safari club members at the Rainforest Cafe. Not only do you get a discount being a member, you basicly get to the front of the waiting list. We went one night, and there were a ton of people waiting to get in. The wait was just over 2 hours. We went up to the front, put our name in, showed them the card and we were sitting down for dinner in just 5 minutes. :)