PDA

View Full Version : Jon Scott OT from Texas Possible Dolphins Target

midwest_phinfan
01-27-2006, 05:35 PM
Senior Bowl Article (http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/features/seniorbowl/reports/south127.html)

"I asked his father Ray about which teams were showing the most interest in his son and he mentioned Kansas City, San Diego and Miami as being the most prominent. Interestingly Nick Saban recruited Jon coming out of high school so he is obviously very familiar with him and Ray would love to see his son play for the Dolphins."

Dphins
01-27-2006, 05:38 PM
I hope we take a look at winston Justice he was elected as a captain in the Senior Bowl by his peers. He is the prototypical LT would never be at 16 if it wasn't for injury.

Scuba Steve 13
01-27-2006, 05:40 PM
Thanks midwest.This guy is a beast and Ot is def. a possibility with are first pick.But would there be a better option than Scott.maybe Mcneil?go fins:dolphins:

ItalianDolFan
01-27-2006, 05:42 PM
McNeil, D'Brickshaw Ferguson...

ckparrothead
01-27-2006, 05:44 PM
I hope we take a look at winston Justice he was elected as a captain in the Senior Bowl by his peers. He is the prototypical LT would never be at 16 if it wasn't for injury.

Umm...Winston Justice isn't in the Senior Bowl chief. He's a junior. Juniors aren't invited to the Senior Bowl...

ABrownLamp
01-27-2006, 05:52 PM
Ouch. Did you just make that Senior Captain stuff up on your own?

Dol-Fan Dupree
01-27-2006, 05:53 PM
McNeil, D'Brickshaw Ferguson...

I love how people fall in love with names

SF Dolphin Fan
01-27-2006, 06:14 PM
I like Scott. He'd be about fourth on my list behind Cutler, Greenway and Huff.

CitizenSnips
01-27-2006, 06:22 PM
The mans a beast, thats for sure. I'd say the safest best for our 1st round pick would be him or Mcneil.

Boomer
01-27-2006, 06:35 PM

Hate to pile on mate, but Justice is a RT.

Scott is a mediocre prospect, a waist bender, an inconsistent lunger who looks good on one play and awful on the next.

PressCoverage
01-27-2006, 06:44 PM
maybe he's talking about the Miami LT guy?

ckparrothead
01-27-2006, 07:07 PM
If you ask me right now, I'm saying that D'Brickashaw Ferguson is the best player in this draft. I scoff at the likes of Reggie Bush and even Matt Leinart compared to Ferguson.

Ferguson may be the best pass protecting prospect I have ever seen at any level of football. The way he is able to blank defensive ends in pass rush by stepping out and up to them rather than step back is incredible. To me he's like the Pudge Rodriguez of football, incredible feet. His ability to meet defensive ends closer to the line helps prevent them from gathering any momentum or speed, and from there his long arms and feet do the rest. He's a very powerful guy too especially for his weight. I look at his underdeveloped chest and upper body and low weight, and I actually see upside not negatives. He's mediocre blocking for the ground game, that is true, but Walter Jones was a bit of a one-trick pony as well and he grew into run blocking. Now look, the Seahawks are in the Super Bowl and everyone can't stop talking about that left side of the offensive line and how Alexander gets tons of yards behind Jones and Hutchinson.

I like Leinart. I'm not a huge Bush fan. I like Hawk and I like Mario Williams. But Ferguson is the only cant-miss perennial pro bowl player in this draft IMO. Leinart's chances are about 50/50.

finfan54
01-27-2006, 07:16 PM

Scott is a mediocre prospect, a waist bender, an inconsistent lunger who looks good on one play and awful on the next.

Just remember this boomer, Houck loves all the Texas OL. He can take mediocrity and turn it into something. Not that I think he is mediocre.

BlueFin
01-27-2006, 07:19 PM
If you ask me right now, I'm saying that D'Brickashaw Ferguson is the best player in this draft. I scoff at the likes of Reggie Bush and even Matt Leinart compared to Ferguson.

Ferguson may be the best pass protecting prospect I have ever seen at any level of football. The way he is able to blank defensive ends in pass rush by stepping out and up to them rather than step back is incredible. To me he's like the Pudge Rodriguez of football, incredible feet. His ability to meet defensive ends closer to the line helps prevent them from gathering any momentum or speed, and from there his long arms and feet do the rest. He's a very powerful guy too especially for his weight. I look at his underdeveloped chest and upper body and low weight, and I actually see upside not negatives. He's mediocre blocking for the ground game, that is true, but Walter Jones was a bit of a one-trick pony as well and he grew into run blocking. Now look, the Seahawks are in the Super Bowl and everyone can't stop talking about that left side of the offensive line and how Alexander gets tons of yards behind Jones and Hutchinson.

I like Leinart. I'm not a huge Bush fan. I like Hawk and I like Mario Williams. But Ferguson is the only cant-miss perennial pro bowl player in this draft IMO. Leinart's chances are about 50/50.

Ferguson is in my opinion the prototype LT to combat the Jason Taylors, Dwight Freeneys and John Abrahams of the NFL.

MiamiDolphins34
01-27-2006, 07:31 PM
Woooooo Nick draft Jon Scott if Cutler is gone.

MiamiDolphins34
01-27-2006, 07:34 PM

Jon Scott mediocre? :eek:

LIQUID24
01-27-2006, 07:36 PM
Jon Scott is a good player, but he's a bit of an underachiever. Nice feet and good athleticism (though nowhere near D'Brick's level), but he has no mean streak whatsoever and gets bullrushed more often than he should. While he rarely (if ever) gave up sacks, he did allow pressure quite a bit. He definitely needs to get stronger and meaner.

Having said that, he IS talented and he'd be a solid pick.... in the 2nd round.

tmny99
01-27-2006, 08:04 PM
I think we need to focus on linemen like Whitworth and McNiel that are realistic.

Regan21286
01-27-2006, 08:40 PM
Senior Bowl Article (http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/features/seniorbowl/reports/south127.html)

"I asked his father Ray about which teams were showing the most interest in his son and he mentioned Kansas City, San Diego and Miami as being the most prominent. Interestingly Nick Saban recruited Jon coming out of high school so he is obviously very familiar with him and Ray would love to see his son play for the Dolphins."

I'd love to see Scott become our franchise LT. If he's around in the 2nd round, I'd take him.

sports24/7
01-27-2006, 08:40 PM
I wouldn't mind Scott in the 2nd or 3rd, but there are much better players there at 16.

Doakle
01-27-2006, 11:25 PM
The same site on their other practice report quoted,

Also, he said the New England Patriots and the Miami Dolphins both love cornerback Richard Marshall, which isn't surprising when you consider that he played for Pat Hill at Fresno St., who is also from that "Bill Belichick Tree" of coaches.

Of course i'm sure they're not the only ones, but below is a link to some video of Marshall

Richard Marshall, CB (http://www.draftshowcase.com/RichardMarshall.wmv)

Danny
01-28-2006, 02:59 AM

I think he's a good player too but I was watching the seniorbowl prectice today and Mark May was saying that he should not be a top 5 pick.....he doesn't think that he's dominating enough for that spot....he said that he didn't compare to Ogden and Munoz and Bosseli cos he's not as great at run blocking.Not that it matters cos he'll be gone before our pick.In all honesty the best lineman I've seen this week is Nick Mangold and I'm hoping we can get him and start him at center and move Hdnot back to guard....I think he's gonna be a probowler.

Ozzy rules!!

HysterikiLL
01-28-2006, 03:46 AM

I'd love to have Scott. I'm actually surprised by your comments Boom because I've watched Scott start for the last four years and have found him to be one of the greater playmakers in a long time for UT. As a whole, I actually like him better than I did Mike Williams when he played for here at Texas. Scott is great at using his size to completely out-muscle defenders and get to the next level. He doesn't have great speed but he is very athletic and nimble for his size. Just my opinion but I would'nt say he's been 'awful' on many plays in his career. I'd be very happy if we got him, I would prefer him to Winston or McNeill, and I would deem Justice more of a bang-or-bust than Scott, but I'd be happy with either of them.

MiamiDolphins34
01-28-2006, 09:20 AM

Of course i'm sure they're not the only ones, but below is a link to some video of Marshall

Cool video.Is he a 1st 2nd 3rd?

PhinKev
01-28-2006, 09:37 AM

It's been a long time since I've said this, but I coudn't agree more. Too bad we are not in a position to get him.

phinfan_1
01-28-2006, 09:42 AM
Cool video.Is he a 1st 2nd 3rd?
He'll be there in the 1st round but not sure if he'll still be there when we pick in the 2nd.

finfan54
01-28-2006, 10:10 AM
For everyone seeing D'Brick and claiming he is the best LT out there, you would not be wrong. But to suggest that others drop way off is overhyping IMO because D'Brick was shown in a one on one situation in a practice situation where he is showing off for scouts. Now, dont get me wrong here, he is the best out there for sure based on what we see. What you dont see is the fact that do you think he will be going up against lesser talent in the NFL? Do you think he is going to put that much effort into every play? I dont think so. He was showing what he can do in a practice atmosphere in a one on one. He showed all the skills you could ask for, but do not go thinking that is what he will be every play against the JT's of the world. A JT could wear his *** down with simple moves and quickness. In other words, you dominate for a time, then the when it counts the most, you let down cus your worn out.

The other side to this is if he ends up with a team with not so good a coach, those skills may drop off. Didnt the Jets just hire Tony Wise? Houck could take any one of these first rounders and turn them into a very good LT or even better than they were before. I would not be dissapointed at all if we got Will Allen or Jon Scott. If houck likes them, he likes them for a reason. The USC championship game they looked great. That to me says something. Part of that is Young bouncing around in the pocket and taking off, but there guys were not doing a whole lot throughout the game. Winston also showed good stuff in that game as well.

MiamiDolphins34
01-28-2006, 10:10 AM
He'll be there in the 1st round but not sure if he'll still be there when we pick in the 2nd.

Ah ok thanx dude.

MiamiDolphins34
01-28-2006, 10:15 AM

Dude,do you have more players videos? Thatd be sweet.

Doakle
01-28-2006, 12:38 PM
Video thread (http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12032)

Doakle
01-28-2006, 12:41 PM
By the way, the play of note in the Richard Marshall video is his open field tackle of Reggie Bush, which one on one is pretty good going.

MiamiDolphins34
01-28-2006, 12:44 PM
By the way, the play of note in the Richard Marshall video is his open field tackle of Reggie Bush, which one on one is pretty good going.

Yea..i noticed it was Bush..good play.

MiamiDolphins34
01-28-2006, 12:45 PM
Video thread (http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12032)

Wooo thanx for the videos buddy :wink:

MiamiDolphins34
01-28-2006, 01:45 PM
Wow hester and reggie mcneal burn tire :eek: Is Mcneal an accurate qb? Cuz all ive seen of him is runs lol.Id draft him in the 4th and if he doesnt pan out as a qb then as a wr.