PDA

View Full Version : Official 2006 Atlanta Braves thread

muscle979
01-27-2006, 06:59 PM
I know I'm not the only Braves fan on this message board. This thread is for everything concerning the Atlanta Braves.

Here's to the 15th straight division title :D .

RWhitney014
01-28-2006, 12:22 AM
And 14th out of 15th failure to win the World Series?

GreenMonster
01-28-2006, 12:49 AM
This thread will flame out like the Braves in the playoffs (low blow_)..

d-day
01-28-2006, 02:38 AM
http://www.finheaven.com/clear.gif

GreenMonster
01-28-2006, 02:40 AM
Chippers been there..

MikeO
01-28-2006, 12:45 PM
And 14th out of 15th failure to win the World Series?

I agree, the Braves will choke. But just "BEING THERE" in the playoffs for all of those years is something to be proud of. How many teams would give their left arm to just make the playoffs once! Let alone some 14, 15 times in a row as a DIVISION CHAMP!!!!!!!

It's funny to knock em as a team that gets there but damn near never wins, but hats off to them. They are a top franchise in this sport and you can't knock them that much.

RWhitney014
01-28-2006, 12:58 PM
I agree, the Braves will choke. But just "BEING THERE" in the playoffs for all of those years is something to be proud of. How many teams would give their left arm to just make the playoffs once! Let alone some 14, 15 times in a row as a DIVISION CHAMP!!!!!!!

It's funny to knock em as a team that gets there but damn near never wins, but hats off to them. They are a top franchise in this sport and you can't knock them that much.

I can't and I won't. But no one else can deny that another team in Atlanta's division has settled for the Wild Card twice and won the whole shabang both times.

muscle979
01-28-2006, 03:58 PM
I can't and I won't. But no one else can deny that another team in Atlanta's division has settled for the Wild Card twice and won the whole shabang both times.

Nobody's knocking the Marlins, they just haven't enjoyed the consistency that Atlanta has. The wildcard system is good for baseball, a team gets hot near the end of the season and they can make something happen even when their division is out of reach. To keep winning and competing in the postseason every year with a fairly modest payroll and constant roster turnover is a pretty amazing thing IMO. I am worried about what's going to happen to the team when Bobby Cox retires.

muscle979
01-28-2006, 04:04 PM

The thing about them "choking" the past couple of seasons is that they weren't really supposed to be there to begin with. For the past couple of seasons all of the sportswriters proclaim that this is the year the Braves will fall. This year they've lost Greg Maddux or Javy Lopez or Tom Glavine or whoever and they don't have the talent anymore to compete with the Phillies, Marlins, or Mets. Maybe they really will go down this season but they've overcome a lot of injuries and adversities the past 2 years to keep winning the division and proving all of the sportswriters wrong.

All of that being said I am still disappointed that they've only won one world series during their 14 year run.

Roman529
01-29-2006, 02:25 AM
I know I'm not the only Braves fan on this message board. This thread is for everything concerning the Atlanta Braves.

Here's to the 15th straight division title :D .

Not this year. Without Leo Mazzoni, your pitching coach, you have no chance.

GO PHILLIES.

Ray Finkle
01-29-2006, 02:34 AM

GO PHILLIES.

The Braves still have Bobby Cox though....

NorthFloridaFin
02-01-2006, 09:03 AM

GO PHILLIES.

If I remember right, we have a pretty good manager by the name of Bobby Cox and a bunch of young players. The Braves farm system is the best in the big leagues, so we will continue to be in the playoffs, year after year, you can count on it. When was the last time Philadelphia was even in the playoffs?

CharlestonPhan
02-01-2006, 10:25 AM

GO PHILLIES.

for what its worth, a few pitchers have come out in the last two years and said that Smoltz retiring will be a bigger blow to the staff as a whole than Mazzonne leaving will. a couple of young guys in particular have said after leaving that coaching from Mazzonne consisted of him saying "try to be more like Smoltzy," (or Maddux, or Glavine when they were there).

CharlestonPhan
02-01-2006, 10:26 AM
http://www.finheaven.com/clear.gif

whoa! suddenly im doing the Tomahawk Chop, but im not using my arms!

Roman529
02-02-2006, 03:12 AM
If I remember right, we have a pretty good manager by the name of Bobby Cox and a bunch of young players. The Braves farm system is the best in the big leagues, so we will continue to be in the playoffs, year after year, you can count on it. When was the last time Philadelphia was even in the playoffs?

The Phillies won the World Series in 1980 and lost the World Series in 1983.....the same amount of World Series that the Braves have won since 1980......ONE.

NorthFloridaFin
02-02-2006, 06:02 PM
The Phillies won the World Series in 1980 and lost the World Series in 1983.....the same amount of World Series that the Braves have won since 1980......ONE.

When the Phillies win 14 Division Titles in a row, then you can try to talk a little smack about my team.:D But until then, at least try and reach the playoffs.

muscle979
02-03-2006, 03:06 PM

When was the last time the Phillies even made the postseason? Underachieving after you win the division every year is one thing but underachieving all season long like the Phillies is something completely different.

TitansFanatic
07-04-2006, 07:50 PM
FOREVER I LOVE ATLANTA!

:) Behind the Cards right now but there's plenty of time for a comeback.

TitansFanatic
07-04-2006, 08:17 PM
Obviously, I did a search and dragged this back up from the depths.

TitansFanatic
07-04-2006, 09:17 PM
Stupid rain delay.

TitansFanatic
07-04-2006, 11:49 PM
I'm sad I'm the only one posting on this thing...

:(

RWhitney014
07-05-2006, 12:04 AM
When the Phillies win 14 Division Titles in a row, then you can try to talk a little smack about my team.:D But until then, at least try and reach the playoffs.

Until you win two World Series...

Well, I don't really need to do this. We're well ahead of you in the standings for now.

The run ends here. GO MARLINS!

Rocky Raccoon
07-05-2006, 12:05 AM

Well, I don't really need to do this. We're well ahead of you in the standings for now.

The Braves will finish the season ahead of the Marlins in the standings

TitansFanatic
07-05-2006, 12:14 AM

I'd like to know your reasoning behind saying "well ahead of you in the standings"...aren't the Marlins only 1.5 ahead of the Braves?

muscle979
07-05-2006, 07:57 PM

I suppose the Marlins will win the division :sidelol: . If the Mets somehow screw things up then Atlanta will be there to win number 15, not Florida.

TitansFanatic
07-09-2006, 06:18 PM
The Braves go into the break on a nice note...winning 3 straight series and pulling within 6 games of the Wild Card.

NorthFloridaFin
07-10-2006, 08:46 AM
The Braves go into the break on a nice note...winning 3 straight series and pulling within 6 games of the Wild Card.

We are playing pretty decent right now. The month of June absolutely killed us though.

muscle979
07-10-2006, 07:55 PM

Also note they've jumped ahead of the Marlins in the standings. They've got a tough series with the Padres after the break though. I don't see them having a shot at the division anymore but a wild card is not unreasonable if they keep up the good play. Who knows, going to the postseason as a wild card might be just what the doctor ordered for them. They'll be playing for their playoff lives the rest of the season so they could pull a houston and go in hot and make some noise.

muscle979
07-10-2006, 07:56 PM
We are playing pretty decent right now. The month of June absolutely killed us though.

You're the first guy I've seen from Appalachicola in a while. I used to shrimp there with my uncle several years ago. I'm from Bay county right down the coast.

NorthFloridaFin
07-11-2006, 06:06 AM
You're the first guy I've seen from Appalachicola in a while. I used to shrimp there with my uncle several years ago. I'm from Bay county right down the coast.

Oh yeah, most of my uncles are shrimpers. I tried my hand at it, but chose Law Enforcement instead.

muscle979
07-11-2006, 06:13 AM
Oh yeah, most of my uncles are shrimpers. I tried my hand at it, but chose Law Enforcement instead.

Sounds like a much more steady job, probably a good choice. I always enjoyed working on the boat though.

NorthFloridaFin
07-11-2006, 08:45 AM
Sounds like a much more steady job, probably a good choice. I always enjoyed working on the boat though.

It's good money during the summer, but I guess I needed some benefits. But getting back to the Braves. It's not hard to see that our division run is over, but if we could sneak in as the wild card for once, it might play in our favor.

I've been real impressed with McCann, they young guy can hit. And if Francour can ever get a little patience at the plate he will be dangerous. Every ball he seems to hit is right on the button.

Do you know more about this rookie pitcher we got that has started off 3-0. He seems to have pretty good movement on his pitches?

NorthFloridaFin
07-15-2006, 05:40 AM
Good win last night, 15-12 over the Padres. Our offense is finally starting to come around. And on another good note, the Mets were on the cover of Sports Illustrated this week.

muscle979
07-15-2006, 10:06 AM
It's good money during the summer, but I guess I needed some benefits. But getting back to the Braves. It's not hard to see that our division run is over, but if we could sneak in as the wild card for once, it might play in our favor.

I've been real impressed with McCann, they young guy can hit. And if Francour can ever get a little patience at the plate he will be dangerous. Every ball he seems to hit is right on the button.

Do you know more about this rookie pitcher we got that has started off 3-0. He seems to have pretty good movement on his pitches?

Yea they're most likely out of the division running, they would have to play lights out the rest of the season and probably sweep the rest of the games vs. the Mets. Not likely. I agree that going in as a wildcard can help them. They won't be able to relax at all this season if they hope to make the playoffs. I think Francoer is starting to improve at the plate with his patience. I love the way he can throw guys out at the plate from rightfield. Runners usually think twice about going for home when he has the ball out there. McCann is going to be their new Javy Lopez. I don't know which pitcher you're talking about honestly. They could use all the help they can get. Hudson's only pitching well every other game it seems. The backup first basement they recently called up, Thorman is his name, he seems pretty solid.

NorthFloridaFin
07-15-2006, 10:49 AM
Yea they're most likely out of the division running, they would have to play lights out the rest of the season and probably sweep the rest of the games vs. the Mets. Not likely. I agree that going in as a wildcard can help them. They won't be able to relax at all this season if they hope to make the playoffs. I think Francoer is starting to improve at the plate with his patience. I love the way he can throw guys out at the plate from rightfield. Runners usually think twice about going for home when he has the ball out there. McCann is going to be their new Javy Lopez. I don't know which pitcher you're talking about honestly. They could use all the help they can get. Hudson's only pitching well every other game it seems. The backup first basement they recently called up, Thorman is his name, he seems pretty solid.

I believe the pitcher's last name is James. He has started off 3-0. We just need serious help in our bullpen, although Paronto seems to be holding his own right now.

phunwin
07-15-2006, 10:56 AM
Good win last night, 15-12 over the Padres. Our offense is finally starting to come around. And on another good note, the Mets were on the cover of Sports Illustrated this week.

Not to come into another thread and talk smack, but I think you guys would need several SI covers, a few broken mirrors, a small army of black cats running amok at Shea Stadium and at least one voodoo shaman to bring about the kind of rotten luck the Mets would need to blow the division at this point.

That said, there's absolutely no way the Braves are legitimately this bad, and the pitching has to improve. I wouldn't count them out for the Wild Card spot. The Braves are like Rasputin; I'll believe they're dead when I see the "z" next to "Atlanta" in the standings that denotes teams eliminated from playoff contention.

NorthFloridaFin
07-15-2006, 11:11 AM
Not to come into another thread and talk smack, but I think you guys would need several SI covers, a few broken mirrors, a small army of black cats running amok at Shea Stadium and at least one voodoo shaman to bring about the kind of rotten luck the Mets would need to blow the division at this point.

That said, there's absolutely no way the Braves are legitimately this bad, and the pitching has to improve. I wouldn't count them out for the Wild Card spot. The Braves are like Rasputin; I'll believe they're dead when I see the "z" next to "Atlanta" in the standings that denotes teams eliminated from playoff contention.

We are really not that bad, just our bullpen has been absolutely horrible this year. We are like 9-21 in 1-run games. And the majority of those losses are because of the bullpen.

Boik14
07-15-2006, 12:13 PM

That said, there's absolutely no way the Braves are legitimately this bad, and the pitching has to improve. I wouldn't count them out for the Wild Card spot. The Braves are like Rasputin; I'll believe they're dead when I see the "z" next to "Atlanta" in the standings that denotes teams eliminated from playoff contention. Well hey, lets leave well enough alone. Im more then content to let the Braves wallow in the misery of their 8-21 june. Oh yeah, the mid 80's are back...you know when the mets were good and atl was a cellar dwellar :cooldude:

FaninPatsyLand
07-15-2006, 12:45 PM
Tim Hudson has been terrible, what happened to the pitcher we saw a couple of years back in the American League?

He sucks now..

muscle979
07-15-2006, 02:03 PM
Well hey, lets leave well enough alone. Im more then content to let the Braves wallow in the misery of their 8-21 june. Oh yeah, the mid 80's are back...you know when the mets were good and atl was a cellar dwellar :cooldude:

2nd place isnt' cellar dwelling. There are still about 9-12 games w/ the Mets left. Those will be the key to whether they can get close to the division again. Probably not, but dont' count out a manager who has sent a 100 win team home in his division before.

muscle979
07-15-2006, 02:04 PM
Tim Hudson has been terrible, what happened to the pitcher we saw a couple of years back in the American League?

He sucks now..

You got that right. What a disappointment he's been. He rarely seems to make it past the 4th inning anymore.

muscle979
07-15-2006, 02:09 PM

You're right, they're not that bad. 7-3 in their last ten. They are hitting well and getting enough pitching to get the job done right now. Chipper's 13 game extra base hitting streak isn't hurting them either. Giles finally figuring out how to get on base is helping them a lot. Plus they still have Smoltz.

FinsNYanksFan13
07-15-2006, 02:27 PM
You got that right. What a disappointment he's been. He rarely seems to make it past the 4th inning anymore.

Tim Hudon's just having a bad year. He'll bounce back next year (if he doesn't turn it around the rest of this year)!

muscle979
07-15-2006, 02:58 PM
Tim Hudon's just having a bad year. He'll bounce back next year (if he doesn't turn it around the rest of this year)!

He has to if they want to make the postseason. They need some others to step up too. Ramirez has been solid so far this month. Smoltz has been himself which is good.

NorthFloridaFin
07-16-2006, 08:05 AM
Another good win last night, 11-3. Smoltz pitched great (7 shutout innings). Andruw hit the longest homerun in Petco history (453 ft).

muscle979
07-16-2006, 08:16 AM
Another good win last night, 11-3. Smoltz pitched great (7 shutout innings). Andruw hit the longest homerun in Petco history (453 ft).

Good, another series win. they can't afford to lose any at this point. Before the break they were saying that how this series went would probably tell a lot about how the rest of the season plays out. Let's hope it's a sign of good things to come.

NorthFloridaFin
07-16-2006, 09:01 AM
Good, another series win. they can't afford to lose any at this point. Before the break they were saying that how this series went would probably tell a lot about how the rest of the season plays out. Let's hope it's a sign of good things to come.

Yeah, we sure can't afford to lose many series if we expect to make to postseason.

muscle979
07-16-2006, 09:14 AM
Yeah, we sure can't afford to lose many series if we expect to make to postseason.

They've got St. Louis again next. The cards aren't slumping anymore either. It will be a big series for them. The biggest though will of course be the Mets series.

FaninPatsyLand
07-16-2006, 11:48 AM

The problem with that statement is he wasn't particularly good in the NL last year either. Not as good as you would expect from a pitcher who was very good in the American League. If the lineups are that much tougher in the AL then you would think his numbers would actually improve by a significant margin jumping over to the NL.

muscle979
07-16-2006, 08:48 PM
Braves sweep the NL west leading Padres on the road. Big sweep for them, now they need to beat the Cardinals again. There's probably nobody in MLB playing as well as Chipper right now. He has been unbelievable the past 3 weeks.

TitansFanatic
07-18-2006, 12:48 AM
Braves continue to score runs by the crap load. 15-3!

Chipper's extra basehit streak ended but still...GO BRAVES!

FinsNYanksFan13
07-18-2006, 09:59 PM
13 runs again tonight for the Braves. Their Bats are ridiculous right now!

TitansFanatic
07-18-2006, 11:21 PM
13 runs again tonight for the Braves. Their Bats are ridiculous right now!

Andruw Jones was insane tonight.

The Braves score 10+ runs for the fifth straight game. The last team do so was the 1930 Yankees.

boltfan219
07-18-2006, 11:57 PM
I cant believe my Padres lost a home series against the braves. I can handle a loss or two, but we had the first game of the series we should have won, the one that went into extra innings. We should of had that one. I stayed up till 3 to watch it and I still cannot believe it. That was a great game.

NorthFloridaFin
07-19-2006, 05:38 AM
Man, our offense is ridiculous right now. 13-5 over the Cardinals last night. Andruw was 5-5 w/ 6 RBI's and McCann had another multi-hit game.

muscle979
07-19-2006, 08:48 AM
Man, our offense is ridiculous right now. 13-5 over the Cardinals last night. Andruw was 5-5 w/ 6 RBI's and McCann had another multi-hit game.

I wonder how long they can keep this up? Their offense has been unstoppable, they've been embarrassing good teams.

NorthFloridaFin
07-19-2006, 11:46 AM
I wonder how long they can keep this up? Their offense has been unstoppable, they've been embarrassing good teams.

I don't know how long they can keep it up, but I'm enjoying it right now. After that long month of June when it didn't feel like we could score any runs, I'll take it. Just keep it up and maybe we can sneak in as the wild-card team with all the momentum.

muscle979
07-19-2006, 11:57 AM
I don't know how long they can keep it up, but I'm enjoying it right now. After that long month of June when it didn't feel like we could score any runs, I'll take it. Just keep it up and maybe we can sneak in as the wild-card team with all the momentum.

They've got a great shot at the wild card right now. Depending on how long they can keep their hot streak going the division may not even be out of the question yet. I believe they still have around 12 head to head games with the Mets left. A great opportunity for them to make up some ground quickly. But the Mets are better than the Padres, Reds, and even the Cardinals right now.

boltfan219
07-19-2006, 12:04 PM
I think the Braves will coninue to play good, kind of like the twins winning streak a few weeks ago.

trate121hb
07-19-2006, 12:19 PM
playing good ball gotta hear it from a coworker all day

NorthFloridaFin
07-20-2006, 09:28 AM
Cards' slowed us down a little bit last night, we lost 8-3. But McCann hit another HR for the 5th straight game. Chipper had another multi-hit game.

muscle979
07-20-2006, 09:33 AM
They can probably handle an occassional loss, as long as they don't lose any series from here on out. If they can win the rest of their series they'll definitely see the postseason.

NorthFloridaFin
07-25-2006, 06:54 PM
4 games out of the wild card. If we keep playing like we've been playing these last couple weeks, we should be alright.

Roman529
07-26-2006, 02:42 PM
Braves got lucky against my Phils last night. :mad: There is still about 60 games left in the season. Plenty of time for many teams to make it as a Wild Card.

muscle979
07-26-2006, 11:18 PM
Braves got lucky against my Phils last night. :mad: There is still about 60 games left in the season. Plenty of time for many teams to make it as a Wild Card.

:lol: Atlanta will make it before Philly does, I guarantee it.

unluckyluciano
07-26-2006, 11:19 PM
Whooooooooa no one told me about this thread. Unlucky Luciano long time braves fan, and hoping they pull something out of their butts this year reporting in haha.

FinsNYanksFan13
07-26-2006, 11:54 PM

The Braves have a chance at the Wild Card. The Phillies on the other hand don't have a shot, sorry to break the bad news to you!

muscle979
07-27-2006, 08:46 AM
Whooooooooa no one told me about this thread. Unlucky Luciano long time braves fan, and hoping they pull something out of their butts this year reporting in haha.

Welcome aboard.

muscle979
07-27-2006, 11:05 AM
Just listened to some guys on ESPN, they were talking about who would win the wild card and didn't even mention any team not in the NL west. The topic was actually which NL West team will win the wild card.
Seems like everybody can't wait to count Atlanta out. I guess that comes with sustained success for so long.