PDA

View Full Version : Children's Height and Intelligence Linked

BAMAPHIN 22
01-28-2006, 12:29 AM
When it comes to intelligence tests, children who are short for their age seem to do worse than their taller friends, Reuters reports of a new study from the Karolinska Institute in Stockholm, Sweden.

The study: Information was recorded on more than 1,400 children born in 1970 in Great Britain, including their height at 22 months and 5 years of age. At age 10, all completed a standard test of mental acuity.

The results: The shorter the child's height at age 5, the poorer he or she performed on the test at age 10, no matter the child's birth weight or family income. The implication is that slower childhood growth is associated with lower intelligence. Why? It could be that environmental factors, such as a stressful home life, have a negative effect on both early childhood growth and mental development. "Childhood stress can slow growth significantly," lead study author Dr. Scott Montgomery told Reuters Health. There is evidence that long-term stress, such as that caused when parents argue frequently or divorce, can cause a child's growth to be impaired by affecting the body's production of a growth hormone. Some children--and by no means all--are shorter than they should be because of this. At the same time, such stress can influence the development of brain regions that are involved in memory and learning, according to Montgomery.

http://cnn.netscape.cnn.com/news/package.jsp?floc=ns-tos-toda-h-02&name=fte/shortkids/shortkids

maddendude
01-28-2006, 03:31 AM
I didnt read the paragraph, but...

Kids who are older are smarter than younger kids. When I say "smart" I mean "capacity to learn". Its the reason why they recommend AP classes to juniors and seniors and not freshman. Its why: if ur a high school student trying to take a college class, u must be 16 years old.

Think about how u used to be last year...when I think about that, I think, wow I was totally oblvious to everything.

in conclusion: my arguement is, it FEELs that way.

darkmistress
01-28-2006, 05:12 AM
:rofl3: these "studies" crack me up

Mindwarp
01-28-2006, 08:55 AM
both my kids are taller then others there age.. I have to say though my daughter has always been way more advanced then pther kids her age. My son who is taller then she was at the age he is now is while still ahead of the curve, is not were she was. maybe they should do a study on tall girls vs tall boys.

K-train
01-28-2006, 10:37 AM
hmm, I thought it was the other way.

FinaciousOne
01-28-2006, 11:47 AM
hmm, I thought it was the other way.

You must be short. :D

So by that study, Shaq should be able to father geniuses better that Einstein?

There are so many variables that contribute to both the genetic potential for height and intelligience and the reaching of that potential. To make conclusions concerning such a small study when there are so many variables would be "short" sighted. :wink:

Science has not even begun to quantify the known effects of such variables as nutrition, physical execise, reduced oxygen intake and effects of environmental chemicals on reaching one's growth potential, whether it be height or intelligence.

Their conclusion could just as easily been, "Tall people have less stress in their households than shorter people." or "there's a correlation between having the genetic potential for height and reaching it." :goof:

What if they had a family with 4 kids and the shortest was the smartest? :confused:

Miamian
01-28-2006, 04:48 PM
Besides that taller kids are going to be more popular and more dominant. Is it any wonder that they would perform better?

ABrownLamp
01-28-2006, 05:19 PM
Besides that taller kids are going to be more popular and more dominant. Is it any wonder that they would perform better?

WTF?

Miamian
01-28-2006, 05:48 PM
WTF?
It's the nature vs. nurture argument.

K-train
01-28-2006, 06:50 PM
WTF?

It sucks being short.

ABrownLamp
01-28-2006, 07:16 PM
It's the nature vs. nurture argument.

Ya but being tall doesnt equate to popularity. Nerds are tall. Many people are tall. In fact, there are many more tall people than short people

ABrownLamp
01-28-2006, 07:17 PM
It sucks being short.

Tell me about it...5'8 - 5'9" here.

edit: who am I kidding. 5'8" :(

Buddwalk
01-28-2006, 07:55 PM
Tell me about it...5'8 - 5'9" here.

edit: who am I kidding. 5'8" :(]

I'd kill to be 5''8, budds only 5''6 :refuse:

ABrownLamp
01-28-2006, 08:03 PM
]

I'd kill to be 5''8, budds only 5''6 :refuse:

I was 5'7" when I graduated high school.

I started working out at 18 only becuase I was afraid it would stunt my growth if I started earler. I grew immediately when I started working out, both up and out. I suggest going that route as soon as you turn 18.

miamikid92
01-29-2006, 12:37 AM

thats not true like the most popular kids in my grade are short..im 5'5 and im not popular :lol:

Miamian
01-29-2006, 03:42 AM
Ya but being tall doesnt equate to popularity. Nerds are tall. Many people are tall. In fact, there are many more tall people than short people
But statistically speaking..., I can only relate what a sociology professor once said on the subject.