PDA

View Full Version : Merged: Senior Bowl Players' Analysis

Miami_Dolphins
01-28-2006, 07:40 PM
I saw the senior bowl game thread, but this is really just my personal overview of the players, and who miami should look at.,

Oh, and please forgive me for not getting all the names right, i tried to keep mental notes while at a relatives house, nothings perfect, ut im sure you'll understand who i mean.\

DJ Shockley looks terrible, his stock is plummeting. His throws were everywhere, and he was very immobile.

Jay Cutler looked pretty bad, imo. He made some crap descisions, ran instead of scambline and looking for an open man, horrible 2 minute drill, got picked in the endzone.

Marcus Mcneill is http://www.finheaven.com/images/imported/2006/01/wfcensored-1.gifing awesome, that catch ruled. He's big, looks pretty slim, and he's got a lot of talent. Extremely good pick if we get him 2nd round.

Croyle looked pretty good, and from what i heard, he looked good in practice too. Definately a QB i'd look out for, Maybe another consideration for Qb.

Will Blackmon has looked pretty decent, but i didnt see much

Michael Robinson is a great running QB, but i think he should convert to WR. Fast, can get away form tacklers, and hes pretty big.

I like Tye Hill, he looks pretty good, his stock is dramatically rising.
Definately a corner miami should look at.

Continuing to watch Jay Cutler, he excessively scrambles, he threw a TD there, but on the same drive he got lucky, and someone dropped a pick. Not worth a first rounder, and i think he's a reach with the 16th pick, but with some practice he could be good. Still dont think hes worth the 16th pick.

Take it for what it's worth, ust my opinions.

Nappy Roots
01-28-2006, 07:43 PM
Marcus Mcneill is http://www.finheaven.com/images/imported/2006/01/wfcensored-1.gifing awesome, that catch ruled. He's big, looks pretty slim, and he's got a lot of talent. Extremely good pick if we get him 2nd round.

gezz, i didnt know catching a ball as a OLineman can get you so much love. did you not see the beginning of that play when he got destroyed off the line and let his guy go right by for the pressure and hit on the QB?

phinfan13
01-28-2006, 07:44 PM
I saw the senior bowl game thread, but this is really just my personal overview of the players, and who miami should look at.,

Oh, and please forgive me for not getting all the names right, i tried to keep mental notes while at a relatives house, nothings perfect, ut im sure you'll understand who i mean.\

DJ Shockley looks terrible, his stock is plummeting. His throws were everywhere, and he was very immobile.

Jay Cutler looked pretty bad, imo. He made some crap descisions, ran instead of scambline and looking for an open man, horrible 2 minute drill, got picked in the endzone.

Croyle looked pretty good, and from what i heard, he looked good in practice too. Definately a QB i'd look out for, Maybe another consideration for Qb.

Michael Robinson is a great running QB, but i think he should convert to WR. Fast, can get away form tacklers, and hes pretty big.

Continuing to watch Jay Cutler, he excessively scrambles, he threw a TD there, but on the same drive he got lucky, and someone dropped a pick. Not worth a first rounder, and i think he's a reach with the 16th pick, but with some practice he could be good. Still dont think hes worth the 16th pick.

I agree with your analysis and would like to add that none of the QBs that are playing today are worth a first round pick.

Miami_Dolphins
01-28-2006, 07:45 PM
gezz, i didnt know catching a ball as a OLineman can get you so much love. did you not see the beginning of that play when he got destroyed off the line and let his guy go right by for the pressure and hit on the QB?

Hey bud, get the bug out of your butt and lighten up...it was a JOKE.

:lol: :wink:

In_Flames
01-28-2006, 07:56 PM
I'd be extremely pleased if we can somehow land Croyle in the 2nd...:D

btw you gotta love how they were calling Cutler's release "Marino-esque"...too bad he'll be gone in the top 10, my guess to Detroit if NYJ pass on him...

infiltrateib
01-28-2006, 07:59 PM
I'm pretty confident that Meuller and Saban can come up with a talented QB.

Huff or Justice are my current wish list. I'd take Cutler if he's there, but I don't think he will be. If he isn't, either of those two guys would float my boat.

G-Force
01-28-2006, 08:00 PM
I'd rather get Whitehurst with a 3rd or late second. What I would love to see is our first go to SD for Rivers or Brees.

infiltrateib
01-28-2006, 08:01 PM
I'd rather get Whitehurst with a 3rd or late second. What I would love to see is our first go to SD for Rivers or Brees.

I'd make that trade in a heartbeat, but I don't think either's up for sale. Brees has the injury, and Rivers is still on the rookie contract. I think Brees gets signed long-term, and Rivers is traded late in the offseason or right before the deadline.

oodolphins
01-28-2006, 08:03 PM
I'd be extremely pleased if we can somehow land Croyle in the 2nd...:D

btw you gotta love how they were calling Cutler's release "Marino-esque"...too bad he'll be gone in the top 10...

I agree. I thought Croyle looked good. He needs to pack on some weight IMO. I also thought Whitehurst looked impressive. His first drive he was 5/5 with a TD. I am not saying these guys are the answer, but I would draft Croyle in the second rd.

I know we have no chance, but D'Brick Furgeson looked AWESOME. I would love to get this kid. He seemed very nice and articulate during his interview.

I am a big CANES fan, but Winston didn't look good at all. I know he had a serious injury, but he didn't do anything to help himself.

Well, those are my thoughts. Yours?

I CAN'T WAIT FOR THE DRAFT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :dolphins:

Miami_Dolphins
01-28-2006, 08:04 PM
I personally think our best options are croyle, jacobs, or rivers. I good apporach is to send our first and a player for rivers, and then take ncneill or tye hill in the 2nd

inFINSible
01-28-2006, 08:05 PM
I like Whitehurst.....I saw him play a few times and thought he had great poise and leadership qualities....he looked like he could wing it pretty well, but, that's about the extent of my scouting on him.....

he did LOOK like a QB....know what I mean?

neuce
01-28-2006, 08:07 PM
I just don't see this love for Brodie Croyle that some posters have. I don't have anything personal against the guy but I do not think he will ever be a starting NFL qb.

I hope the Dolphins do not draft Croyle.

Miami_Dolphins
01-28-2006, 08:08 PM
here we go, ill rank the players that we can get at each of our need posistions

Quarterback
1.Croyle
2.Jacobs
3.Hackney
4.Cutler

Cornerback
1.Ko Simpson
2. Tye Hill
3. Will Blackmon

Linemen
1. Jon Scott
2. the USC linemen...im drawing a blank on the name

finfan54
01-28-2006, 08:09 PM

I liked Croyle but I wanted to see more Whitehurst who I thought was good. Cutler has the skills no doubt. The pick in the endzone was just a great play by Griffin, who i think is a very good player who can play CB/S. you cannot judge everything on these games. Every one is talking Dbrickshaw as great but even he made mistakes and got used on that one play.

In the end, I think cutler could still be ours at 16 if teams pass on him. Croyle in the second round is probably more feasable. If Saban ends up likeing Whitelhurts more then maybe he takes a LT first, a S/CB second, and Whitehurst later. But who really knows? There is no consistancy in these games cus they go in for two rounds and come out.

Miami_Dolphins
01-28-2006, 08:09 PM
I just don't see this love for Brodie Croyle that some posters have. I don't have anything personal against the guy but I do not think he will ever be a starting NFL qb.

I hope the Dolphins do not draft Croyle.

Hes worht the 2nd rounder. He's got a lot of talent, but the lack of a deep ball will draw miami away.

In_Flames
01-28-2006, 08:10 PM
we could possibly land either Huff or Jimmy Williams with our 1st...which im hoping for....

infiltrateib
I think Winston Justice is a really, really strong selection.

I saw an interview with him where he discussed his "incident" that all the draftniks will be talking about, and he seemed very sincere when he apologized and said it was a prank and he needed to take things more seriously (toy gun).

He's certainly raw, and scouts talk about his rust from his year off, but he shows the potential to be a dominating LT. He could come in and play either LT or RT for us. Carey + Justice could be a really exciting young bookend combo (with Carey better suited for LT than RT, it will help to let Justice develop as a RT).

I think he's there when we pick, and if it were me, I'd take a long look.

unifiedtheory

Quarterback
1.Croyle
2.Jacobs
3.Hackney
4.Cutler

Cornerback
1.Ko Simpson
2. Tye Hill
3. Will Blackmon

Linemen
1. Jon Scott

You lost me when you ranked Jacobs higher then Cutler.

Cutler is a top 10 pick...Jacobs is a 4th-5th round clipboard holder.

finfan54

Quarterback
1.Croyle
2.Jacobs
3.Hackney
4.Cutler

Cornerback
1.Ko Simpson
2. Tye Hill
3. Will Blackmon

Linemen
1. Jon Scott

I want absolutely nothing to do with Hackney.

G-Force
01-28-2006, 08:11 PM
I'd make that trade in a heartbeat, but I don't think either's up for sale. Brees has the injury, and Rivers is still on the rookie contract. I think Brees gets signed long-term, and Rivers is traded late in the offseason or right before the deadline.Yeah you never know though. I think their will be a quality qb in the later rounds like Whitehurst in the 3rd for example. I would like to get someone to develope like that and have a veteran next year than to risk a high pick for someone without much more potential than him. He is a coaches son and has worked through 3 or 4 differant OC's at Clemson and always seems to persavere. Croyle has had injuries and Cutler didn't impress me as much as Whitehusrt has watching him for four years. Thats just me though and I leave it to Saban to take the risks if necessary.

finfan54
01-28-2006, 08:11 PM

I betcha Cutler ends up holding a clipboard as well. Nothing against Cutler but the NFL is not exactly a place where a QB comes right in and lights it up.

inFINSible
01-28-2006, 08:12 PM
What about McNiel...is that his name? Reggie.....I've heard some good stuff about him this week....

Miami_Dolphins
01-28-2006, 08:13 PM

I strongly disagree. Everyone is raving over cutler, i see a QB who never hesistates to run, instead of standing in there, taking the hit, and complteing the 20 yard pass.

Jacobs is a more talented player than cutler. He's raw, but with the right coaching, he can easily be a better player than cutler could dream of

Winbaby#23
01-28-2006, 08:14 PM

Cutler is a top 10 pick...Jacobs is a 4th-5th round clipboard holder.:sidelol: :sidelol:

finfan54
01-28-2006, 08:15 PM
I think Winston Justice is a really, really strong selection.

I saw an interview with him where he discussed his "incident" that all the draftniks will be talking about, and he seemed very sincere when he apologized and said it was a prank and he needed to take things more seriously (toy gun).

He's certainly raw, and scouts talk about his rust from his year off, but he shows the potential to be a dominating LT. He could come in and play either LT or RT for us. Carey + Justice could be a really exciting young bookend combo (with Carey better suited for LT than RT, it will help to let Justice develop as a RT).

I think he's there when we pick, and if it were me, I'd take a long look.

i could go for this:

1.Winston Justice LT/RT
2. Cedric Griffin CB/S
3. Brodie Croyle/whitehurst
4. a Guard

In_Flames
01-28-2006, 08:16 PM
IMO Jacobs is more of a project, he should have went back to school this year and come out next draft....I have him ranked however behind Cutler and Croyle for sure, then its a tossup...

Miami_Dolphins
1. Ko Simpson, S/CB
2. Marques McNeill, G
3. Omar Jacobs, QB/Croyle, QB
4. Jacobs/Croyle

Miami_Dolphins
IMO Jacobs is more of a project, he should have went back to school this year and come out next draft....I have him ranked however behind Cutler and Croyle for sure, then its a tossup...

Manuel Wright was a project too. You can take on these projects when you have coaches like we do,.

cowtowndick
01-28-2006, 08:17 PM
Quarterback
1.Croyle
2.Jacobs
3.Hackney
4.Cutler

you're kidding, right?

Dors156
Impressed me:

Charlie whitehurst
he has great arm strength.hes accurate and has great mechanics.the best foot work of all the QB's there.

Brodie Croyle
he really stood out to me.i thought he wasnt a good QB because i saw him against auburn and he got dominated and i thought that florida game was a fluke.He could throw the ball deep and accurate like the throw to moss.he was accurate over the middle and made good decisions except for his int.he showed a good sign of brilliance when tamba halli came and brought him down and he held onto the ball.

Dissapointed me:

Jay Cutler
i saw good arm strength and a nice quick release out of him but he has the worst footwork of all the QB's.i think people overhyped him a little bit but i think he will bounce back.but the play i was dissapointed in was his int.he didnt throw the ball so he could lead the reciever to the right he threw it right at the reciver and griffin i believe it was made a nice play.

D.J. Shockly
i thought if he was drafted somewhere he would be a steal after watching the sugar bowl but he couldnt throw the ball what soever.was to all over the place in the pocket.

Darell Hackney
he just could not simply throw the ball near his recievers.he was bad out there and really needs to do well at the combine for him to be even drafted near the first day.

I dont even know what to say about Michael Robinson because i dont even know if hes a quarterback or a wide reciever but i think he could be a good QB.

Your thoughts?

finfan54
What about McNiel...is that his name? Reggie.....I've heard some good stuff about him this week....

I didnt see him, there were points during the game that I missed. I am not even sure who you are talking about but like you i heard his name passed around. I think the only Mcniel to talk about is the Georgia T (or is it Auburn?)

G-Force
01-28-2006, 08:19 PM
LOL. Where's the TO lovers saying what about Marcus Vick?

sports24/7
01-28-2006, 08:20 PM
Overall Cutler didn't have a great day, but didn't do anything to hurt himself and still might have helped solidify himself as a top 10 pick. He made some nice throws on that first drive, but also made some bad ones. The pick wasn't a great pass, but it was a very nice play by the DB. The TD he threw though was very impressive. I know it was a short throw, but it was an absolute bullet. There are alot of NFL QBs right now that can't make that throw. He needs some work, but IMO he is still well worth trading up to get.

fishypete
01-28-2006, 08:21 PM
Croyle is the QB of the game....he showed great arm strength...and accuracy....especially for a guy who only weighs 200 lbs....Croyle has a great coach who has taught him what it takes to play in the NFL. I have him rated higher than Cutler.

Miami_Dolphins
you're kidding, right?

Maybe the rankings are a little messed up, but Jacobs is definately better than cutler.

Nappy Roots
Maybe the rankings are a little messed up, but Jacobs is definately better than cutler.

:sidelol:

this is a joke to right?

good one

Miami_Dolphins
01-28-2006, 08:22 PM
Overall Cutler didn't have a great day, but didn't do anything to hurt himself and still might have helped solidify himself as a top 10 pick. He made some nice throws on that first drive, but also made some bad ones. The pick wasn't a great pass, but it was a very nice play by the DB. The TD he threw though was very impressive. I know it was a short throw, but it was an absolute bullet. There are alot of NFL QBs right now that can't make that throw. He needs some work, but IMO he is still well worth trading up to get.

It was a 7 yard route in the gut of a 250 pound TE...a LOT of NFL Qbs could have made that throw...even feeley could have

cowtowndick
I strongly disagree. Everyone is raving over cutler, i see a QB who never hesistates to run, instead of standing in there, taking the hit, and complteing the 20 yard pass.

Jacobs is a more talented player than cutler. He's raw, but with the right coaching, he can easily be a better player than cutler could dream of

i like jacobs, but i think you're off a bit. he's not better than cutler. the guy i don't get is croyle - watched the senior bowl (second half only), didn't see him do a thing other than nearly get ripped in half by dvoracek and watson. didn't see him complete a pass worth talking about. most notable thing he did was run to the wrong sidelines.

In_Flames
Cutler top 10, Jacobs 4th rounder/maybe 3rd if he's lucky....nuff said

Agua
If Cutler is a "top 10" pick, he must be a hell of a lot better than what he showed today.

Miami_Dolphins

this is a joke to right?

good one

No, Im not joking.

Nappy Roots
If Cutler is a "top 10" pick, he must be a hell of a lot better than what he showed today.

he is.

motioncityhifi
01-28-2006, 08:23 PM

:sidelol::sidelol::sidelol::sidelol:

Nappy Roots
01-28-2006, 08:23 PM
No, Im not joking.

:sidelol: :sidelol: :sidelol:

come on, stop it guy!!

:sidelol: :sidelol: :sidelol:

In_Flames
01-28-2006, 08:26 PM
Cutler will go either 4th overall to the Jets, 6th overall to the Raiders, 9th overall to the Lions, or 10th to the Cards...he's not making it past the top 10..no way

Miami_Dolphins
Cutler top 10, Jacobs 4th rounder....nuff said

1998 NFL draft:

Ryan leaf, top 10, Brian Griese 3rd round.

I know griese isint the perfect example, but hes a hellofalot better than leaf was.

cowtowndick
It was a 7 yard route in the gut of a 250 pound TE...a LOT of NFL Qbs could have made that throw...even feeley could have

it wasn't necessarily who was on the end of the pass (and by the way, it was derek hagan, wr), it was the release and velocity. no hitch in the throw, it was just gone. unless everyone, including the guys calling the game, saw a different game, the rankings going into the draft are leinhart, young, cutler (top three), croyle, jacobs, whitehurst (next three). i guess, more than anything, this is just something no one is going to agree upon.

finfan54
01-28-2006, 08:28 PM
You cant take too much from these games. Look at Philip Rivers in this game last year and now everyone in the league is questioning him now. Cutler is ranked higher because he is prototypical size and has the skills needed and played very well on a crappy team compared to the rest of the league. I do think the overhype on cutler will come to a halt and believe it or not, he could be available to us at 16, but that will depend on other players stocks rising and teams going for those players instead. Croyle's prob is that he is an injury risk and the weight, as said before. Saban would not care about this fact if we draft him 2nd round and on. More likely 3rd. Whitehurst I believe scored some points today too and may actually have less ?

Miami_Dolphins
01-28-2006, 08:29 PM
I watched cutler, and he didnt look like someone i trust. I would rathe rhave omar jocobs and someone like jonothan scott, thanks.

Nappy Roots
01-28-2006, 08:30 PM
I watched cutler, and he didnt look like someone i trust. I would rathe rhave omar jocobs and someone like jonothan scott, thanks.

ok, what games did you watch?

finfan54
01-28-2006, 08:32 PM
Cutler will go either 4th overall to the Jets, 6th overall to the Raiders, 9th overall to the Lions, or 10th to the Cards...he's not making it past the top 10..no way

Unless Norv Turner likes Croyle and drafts him in the third round. This is the other thing we need to watch out for, other teams may want to pass on Cutler and go for Croyle/Whitehurst later when they pick before us again later! Lions may not want to invest their 1st rounder in a guy who would either sit for one year or get pummeled right out of the gates.

cowtowndick
01-28-2006, 08:34 PM
You guys can laugh all you want, it just shows how narrow minded you all are. Once we dont get cutler, you'll all be ready to riot. When cutler is an average QB, and miami gets a guy that headlines this franchise for years, you'll all look pretty stupid.

if we don't get cutler, it will be because he's gone in the top ten. if he's there at #16, i'd be shocked if we didn't take him. i'm pretty sure whomever we end up drafting will enjoy a good measure of success, given that the franchise is on the upswing and saban will make sure he's surrounded with talent. i guess those of us that like the idea of drafting cutler are looking for a qb that has big upside, a guy that can carry a team (if necessary), big arm. a pro. croyle may be a great choice in the third round, but he'll never be that kinda guy. so i guess it depends upon what kind of qb you are looking for - a franchise guy, or a caretaker type, like we've had for a very long time now. i'm sure whomever we draft will be fine, because i have a great deal of faith in saban/mueller, but it would be nice to have a qb that strikes fear into the heart of defenses again. the only thing that will scare defenses about croyle is the fact that they might kill him.

Miami_Dolphins
"I don't get it. You're saying that all players taken in the middle rounds will be better than highly projected picks? :confused:

If you want to make a case for a top ten bust such as Leaf, make one for Peyton Manning."

Listen bud, the guy who i quoted and said that to claimed that cutler was better because hes projected to go top 10, and jacobs is a projected 3-4th rounder. Alright? It has nothing to do with me saying all late round picks will be better than the early ones....so stop changing my words and read the posts, ok? Thanks.

HysterikiLL
IMO, I wouldn't at all be surprised to see Croyle or Whitehurst sneak into the first round/early second. With great combines and team workouts, some teams may jump, forcing other teams to reach for them in order to get them.

G-Force
01-28-2006, 08:35 PM
You cant take too much from these games. Look at Philip Rivers in this game last year and now everyone in the league is questioning him now. Cutler is ranked higher because he is prototypical size and has the skills needed and played very well on a crappy team compared to the rest of the league. I do think the overhype on cutler will come to a halt and believe it or not, he could be available to us at 16, but that will depend on other players stocks rising and teams going for those players instead. Croyle's prob is that he is an injury risk and the weight, as said before. Saban would not care about this fact if we draft him 2nd round and on. More likely 3rd. Whitehurst I believe scored some points today too and may actually have less ?None of these guys is better than Phillip. He is stuck behind a pro bowler and has'nt got his shot. None and I mean none of the players you saw today or the two you didn't is anywhere near Rivers. Yes I mean Leinart and Young.

cowtowndick
01-28-2006, 08:36 PM
...the thing i liked about cutler was how pissed he looked when someone dropped a catchable ball. reminded me of someone...

HysterikiLL
01-28-2006, 08:37 PM
I'd trade our 1st for Rivers in a heart beat.

sports24/7
It was a 7 yard route in the gut of a 202 lb WR that was fired into traffic and was in the reciever's chest before you even realized he threw the ball. If you watch it again you will see that it was not as easy as he made it look.

finfan54
The guy who will steal the show and be worth all the marbles is Invincible Young. you watch. the dude will take over the NFL and create yet another evolution of the game. We do not want this guy to go to the Jets. Thats all I know for sure.

G-Force
01-28-2006, 08:40 PM
The guy who will steal the show and be worth all the marbles is Invincible Young. you watch. the dude will take over the NFL and create yet another evolution of the game. We do not want this guy to go to the Jets. Thats all I know for sure.He will be like Vick more than likely. He will set the league on fire and after a couple of injuries he will wilt to mediocracy IMO.

fishypete
01-28-2006, 08:46 PM
IMO, I wouldn't at all be surprised to see Croyle or Whitehurst sneak into the first round/early second. With great combines and team workouts, some teams may jump, forcing other teams to reach for them in order to get them.

Especially when the air out of Cutlers bubble starts to leak more than it is now.

phinfanNY08
01-28-2006, 08:49 PM

i dont think you can accurately think any player did well or not in this game. didn't phil rivers get mvp a few years ago and is still riding the bench. i think the game is just an idea for coaches to see the players at full speed. i think the main thing is the combine. thats why ronnie landed before caddy because caddy didnt have a good combine as well as ronnie did.

G-Force
01-28-2006, 08:54 PM
i dont think you can accurately think any player did well or not in this game. didn't phil rivers get mvp a few years ago and is still riding the bench. i think the game is just an idea for coaches to see the players at full speed. i think the main thing is the combine. thats why ronnie landed before caddy because caddy didnt have a good combine as well as ronnie did.Riding the bench behind a probowler. Phillip didn't have the job to lose and if he ever got it a probowler will be on the bench behind him. Why do you people implie he is a bust? Every coach, scout, and people with any knowledge of football will tell you Phillip will be a star when he gets a chance.

Martel
01-28-2006, 08:56 PM
I just hope Michael Robinson is there at 16. QB of the future.

In_Flames
01-28-2006, 08:57 PM

:lol: :sidelol:

daniel3
01-28-2006, 08:59 PM
Cutler showed why he the #3 QB prospect :/. Also I hope Miami doesn't touch any other QB until the 3rd round if we cant get Cutler (so no Croyle in 2nd round, I sorta cringed everytime I saw he was about to be hit). Saban is looking towards the future at the QB position, but it doesn't seem like he's in desparation mode yet. Lets not get crazy here.

fishypete
01-28-2006, 09:01 PM
Cutler showed why he the #3 QB prospect :/. Also I hope Miami doesn't touch any other QB until the 3rd round if we cant get Cutler (so no Croyle in 2nd round, I sorta cringed everytime I saw he was about to be hit). Saban is looking towards the future at the QB position, but it doesn't seem like he's in desparation mode yet. Lets not get crazy here.

How did he show that? By throwing that dumb interception? What was he 7 for 15...maybe 70yds?

daniel3
01-28-2006, 09:11 PM
How did he show that? By throwing that dumb interception? What was he 7 for 15...maybe 70yds?

He was 6 of 19 according to ESPN and until the end he really didn't do much of anything (well on the drive just before he got intercepted he was doing ok, but sorta went downhill from there). One would hope a top 10 pick could muster a better game, especially given the somewhat above average (though somewhat impressive at times) practices. I can't even blame it on line performance either because he did get some good cover on a number of plays.

PhinGeneral
01-28-2006, 09:31 PM

God I hope that's sarcasm. But he will be there at #16. And probably in the 5th round, too.

PhinGeneral
01-28-2006, 09:33 PM
I wouldn't get too carried away about what happened in the game. In fact, many NFL personnel people leave town before the game is even played. It's the practices and interviews they are most concerned with.

The game basically serves as a last chance for guys who might need it.

fishypete
01-28-2006, 09:39 PM
I wouldn't get too carried away about what happened in the game. In fact, many NFL personnel people leave town before the game is even played. It's the practices and interviews they are most concerned with.

The game basically serves as a last chance for guys who might need it.

Don't discount the game....while the GM's and scouts aren't there...they watch the game and get the game film. Rivers rose up from ashes to the top...because of what he did in the game. Practices are important...but the NFL plays games.

PhinGeneral
01-28-2006, 09:45 PM
Don't discount the game....while the GM's and scouts aren't there...they watch the game and get the game film. Rivers rose up from ashes to the top...because of what he did in the game. Practices are important...but the NFL plays games.

I didn't say I discounted what happens. I just said people shouldn't get carried away with it. Rivers stock rose some because of his performance, but he didn't rise up from the ashes. In fact he had been MVP in every bowl game he had played in up to that point.

I also realize that the scouts will watch the game on tape. But they'll also watch the real games these players played in, which will hold a lot more weight than a thrown together all-star game.

Silverphin
01-28-2006, 10:30 PM
I liked Croyle but I wanted to see more Whitehurst who I thought was good. Cutler has the skills no doubt. The pick in the endzone was just a great play by Griffin, who i think is a very good player who can play CB/S. you cannot judge everything on these games. Every one is talking Dbrickshaw as great but even he made mistakes and got used on that one play.

In the end, I think cutler could still be ours at 16 if teams pass on him. Croyle in the second round is probably more feasable. If Saban ends up likeing Whitelhurts more then maybe he takes a LT first, a S/CB second, and Whitehurst later. But who really knows? There is no consistancy in these games cus they go in for two rounds and come out.

I was waiting for that (mainly because my no cable/satellite *** couldn't watch the Senior Bowl).

DolfanDaveInATX
01-28-2006, 10:50 PM

Isn't Hackney that short :fatman: kid from some hyphenated school?

SackArtist
01-29-2006, 12:09 AM
It was a 7 yard route in the gut of a 202 lb WR that was fired into traffic and was in the reciever's chest before you even realized he threw the ball. If you watch it again you will see that it was not as easy as he made it look.

I think you're looking into it too much. Cutler isn't as good as you think. The route his WR ran on that TD was the same route his WRs always run. Of all the times I've seen Cutler play his WRs always run the same route.SLANTS SLANTS SLANTS SLANTS SLANTS. He neeeds a nickname...Jay "SLANT" Cutler. I wanna see this guy throw different routes. You people continue to talk about how strong his arm is and what a difficult throw he made when that throw is the only throw he knows how to make.

WaxOn WaxOff
01-29-2006, 12:26 AM
Riding the bench behind a probowler. Phillip didn't have the job to lose and if he ever got it a probowler will be on the bench behind him. Why do you people implie he is a bust? Every coach, scout, and people with any knowledge of football will tell you Phillip will be a star when he gets a chance.

Wonder if the 49er fans said that about Steve Spurrier when he was riding the pine behind John Brodie? (This JOKE is probably only going to fly with the 40+ crowd...)

Coral Reefer
01-29-2006, 12:38 AM

Jacobs and Hackney!
Priceless! :lol:

Kobe
01-29-2006, 01:12 AM
Unless Norv Turner likes Croyle and drafts him in the third round. This is the other thing we need to watch out for, other teams may want to pass on Cutler and go for Croyle/Whitehurst later when they pick before us again later! Lions may not want to invest their 1st rounder in a guy who would either sit for one year or get pummeled right out of the gates.

Why would the 49ers take a QB?

DolphinsRising
01-29-2006, 01:33 AM
Maybe someone can answer this. The hype surrounding Cutler was he needed a great Senior Bowl and combine to make himself an early first round pick. So the question is, did this game do that for him or did it make him look more like the second round talent he was first pegged as? I know practices and other intangibles factor into the equation but we (as fans) gotta make due with what we can see in games right?

nopony
01-29-2006, 02:36 AM
Maybe someone can answer this. The hype surrounding Cutler was he needed a great Senior Bowl and combine to make himself an early first round pick. So the question is, did this game do that for him or did it make him look more like the second round talent he was first pegged as? I know practices and other intangibles factor into the equation but we (as fans) gotta make due with what we can see in games right?

Well, the game itself did NOT help him, but from what I understand the practices DID.

If anyone actually thought he "needed" a great senior bowl... well, then they won't want him. i tend to doubt most thought that, though.

ZolarZ_GoPhins
01-29-2006, 06:38 AM
How about some discussion on a position other then QB?

I liked Moss out of Miami U bout the only WR that stood out to me, and would
be a viable pick in the 2nd round.

Max Gean-Jiles (sp?) looked like a beast at the guard position, and is projected
as prob the only guard to go 1st round. Personally I am hoping Alabi and Carey
will progress futher this off-season and drafting a talented guard will fill out our
O-Line nicely.

Addae out of WVU would fit our zone blitz scheme well at the safty position. I
am a WVU fan and have watched him play bout every game. I see him listed
at nfldraftcountdown.com at 6ft 205lbs, and 40 time at 4.65 Athough looks
like the Senior Bowl listed him near 5ft 10in. Anyways past that, the guy is a
heavy hitter and has good hands. Lacks good man coverage skills, and lacks
the speed ya look for. Projected 7th, or FA. Hopefully we can bring him in to
compete as FA for a spot. Smart kid and dang, he hits like a truck.

adamprez2003
01-29-2006, 07:09 AM

Max Gean-Jiles (sp?) looked like a beast at the guard position, and is projected
as prob the only guard to go 1st round. Personally I am hoping Alabi and Carey
will progress futher this off-season and drafting a talented guard will fill out our
O-Line nicely.

Addae out of WVU would fit our zone blitz scheme well at the safty position. I
am a WVU fan and have watched him play bout every game. I see him listed
at nfldraftcountdown.com at 6ft 205lbs, and 40 time at 4.65 Athough looks
like the Senior Bowl listed him near 5ft 10in. Anyways past that, the guy is a
heavy hitter and has good hands. Lacks good man coverage skills, and lacks
the speed ya look for. Projected 7th, or FA. Hopefully we can bring him in to
compete as FA for a spot. Smart kid and dang, he hits like a truck.

Pretty sharp analysis there. Havent seen you much on this sight but you should keep offering more of your viewpoints. Good Stuff. Giles was a beast today. I haven't scouted the secondary yet but good point that we need a defensive back that fits our scheme

ZolarZ_GoPhins
01-29-2006, 07:25 AM
Read the site every day enjoy it alot. Post some =)

Mostly the same QB stories over and over and get tired of that. I really doubt
we pick a QB in this draft since we got Lemon already, most likely bring in a
FA to compete for spot.
I would say 3rd/4th we might see a QB on the board
at those spots but nor real excited bout those folks. Cutler will be gone by time
we pick in 1st, Croyle will be avail prob in the 2nd but I think he lacks the
mobility Saban is looking for, but I do like the guy, prob early 3rd.

Anyways that is all I got to say about that.

Thanx for the compliment,

Go Phins !

CD13
01-29-2006, 09:29 AM

Quarterback
1.Croyle
2.Jacobs
3.Hackney
4.Cutler

Cornerback
1.Ko Simpson
2. Tye Hill
3. Will Blackmon

Linemen
1. Jon Scott

No way on the QB's, Cutler is clearly #1. And what about D. Ferg at Olinemen ?

CD13
01-29-2006, 09:30 AM

If we draft Hackney, then I will hack up my dolphins gear...kidding, but in all seriousness this guy is not going to be a good QB.

BlueFin
01-29-2006, 11:03 AM

I hope the teams drafting ahead of us share your kneejerk perception of talent, where a player has one week to learn a system and adjust to playing with new receivers and teammates.

Did everybody turn the game off after the first quarter?

Did you miss the drops Cutlers receivers had?

Did you miss Croyles interception?

BlueFin
01-29-2006, 11:06 AM

Quarterback
1.Croyle
2.Jacobs
3.Hackney
4.Cutler

:sidelol: .........Dude, your credibility just suffered a major slide.

BlueFin
01-29-2006, 11:08 AM

He lost most, he also posted that Croyle doesn't have a long ball, the one thing Croyle does have is a strong arm.

BlueFin
01-29-2006, 11:18 AM

There is a reason that for quarterbacks in particular, teams don't put much stock in the actual Senior Bowl game.

They have one week to learn a system, with new coaches and teammates.

Its the raw clay they are evaluating to see if they can mold it.

Clearly Cutler is the most talented overall QB that played in the senior bowl, and that is why, contrary to many of you experts, he will be the first round pick among the QB's in this Senior Bowl, while your champions will go in later rounds.

Mike13
01-29-2006, 11:20 AM
[QUOTE=ZolarZ_GoPhins]
[QUOTE]

Yeah I would take him or Croyle in the second, I think Cutler's stock may have dropped a little but he's still a top 10 pick.

BlueFin
01-29-2006, 11:21 AM
1998 NFL draft:

I know griese isint the perfect example, but hes a hellofalot better than leaf was.

And neither one will ever win a Superbowl, but what the hell has any of that got to with talent evaluation regarding players this year?

Fish-Head
01-29-2006, 11:27 AM
Cutler will not be there when we pick kids... No chance... There was an article on the front page of ESPN.com yesterday claiming Cutler was the best of the BIG 3! You must be kidding... He is on everyone's radar.

Croyle has the tools but is seriously injury prone... Whitehurst is the best all round solution... raw but coachable... Get him for sure in the second, possibly even third and let saban work with him. Pick up a defensive stud in the first...

Please let HUff be on the board... Please let Huff be on the board... Please let Huff... You get the picture.

Motion
01-29-2006, 11:28 AM
There is a reason that for quarterbacks in particular, teams don't put much stock in the actual Senior Bowl game.

Clearly Cutler is the most talented overall QB that played in the senior bowl, and that is why, contrary to many of you experts, he will be the first round pick among the QB's in this draft, while your champions will go in later rounds.

So I waded through 7 pages of BS before I found a solid post. Glad someone else looks at these things realistically. :D

fishypete
01-29-2006, 01:25 PM

Clearly Cutler is the most talented overall QB that played in the senior bowl, and that is why, contrary to many of you experts, he will be the first round pick among the QB's in this draft, while your champions will go in later rounds.

Perhaps that the way you look at it....but Rivers didn't rise until he played the game....while the scouts and GM's are mostly gone before the game...they indeed get the game film...if they game didn't matter....why would they want it?
Practice is practice...but it's the games where players either rise or fall...the NFL doesn't sell T.V. rights to practices...but to games. What if a player practices great...but when the heat is on...can't play against players that are as good as he is? It all matters....and it's that clear and simple.

cowtowndick
01-29-2006, 02:24 PM

good post...good idea. giles was a monster for sure, the two other guys that caught my attention were tamba hali and roman harper. hali looked awesome in the fourth quarter, and i was impressed with harper coming up from the secondary to make some contact. i've been a 'qb in the first round' guy on this site, but if qb is not possible and we go defense, i'd be excited if hali was there. d-end isn't necessarily in need of an upgrade (lb and secondary would be more of a priority), but i thought that guy was impressive.

Motion
01-29-2006, 02:28 PM
1998 NFL draft:

If there is a Ryan Leaf in this draft, its Matt Leinart. Huge ego, spoiled with all that talent around him at USC, lets see how well he adjusts to going from that to the New Orleans Saints.

Motion
01-29-2006, 02:29 PM
good post...good idea. giles was a monster for sure, the two other guys that caught my attention were tamba hali and roman harper. hali looked awesome in the fourth quarter, and i was impressed with harper coming up from the secondary to make some contact. i've been a 'qb in the first round' guy on this site, but if qb is not possible and we go defense, i'd be excited if hali was there. d-end isn't necessarily in need of an upgrade (lb and secondary would be more of a priority), but i thought that guy was impressive.

I agree, Hali looked great although it be hard to take a DE in the 1st with the needs we have. If Cutler's not possible, I'd love Huff or another top DB.

Pennington's Rocket Arm
01-29-2006, 02:32 PM
If there is a Ryan Leaf in this draft, its Matt Leinart. Huge ego, spoiled with all that talent around him at USC, lets see how well he adjusts to going from that to the New Orleans Saints.
he seems like a very humble guy. ryan leaf didn't listen to anyone.

Motion
01-29-2006, 02:34 PM
he seems like a very humble guy. ryan leaf didn't listen to anyone.

Humble? I know your not talking about Leinart! :eek:

Pennington's Rocket Arm
01-29-2006, 02:36 PM
Humble? I know your not talking about Leinart! :eek:
i've never heard him do or say anything unhumble. every interview with him he seems very relaxed, he talks about how great his teammates are, he says he voted for reggie bush for the heisman and for bush to be team MVP....doesn't seem like a huge ego at all.

Motion
01-29-2006, 02:43 PM
i've never heard him do or say anything unhumble. every interview with him he seems very relaxed, he talks about how great his teammates are, he says he voted for reggie bush for the heisman and for bush to be team MVP....doesn't seem like a huge ego at all.

Wow, I've never heard anyone say that about him. I assume you didn't see any interviews with him after the Rose Bowl when he wouldn't stop saying how they were still the better team.

Pennington's Rocket Arm
01-29-2006, 02:51 PM
Wow, I've never heard anyone say that about him. I assume you didn't see any interviews with him after the Rose Bowl when he wouldn't stop saying how they were still the better team.
actually i did see that interview. first of all, he only said it once. secondly, before he said that, he also said "this was a great win...i mean game" (or something). to me that just shows that he wasn't in the right frame of mind, and who would be after a huge loss like that? and even if he meant what he said, so what? he didn't say "i'm the best player on this field" he said "WE are the better team." i have no problem with a quarterback thinking his team is the best, and i love that he didn't just give the politically correct statement of "they just wanted it more" etc etc. but how can you judge a guy's ego on one sentence anyway? his entire career has been marked by calm, humble statements, usually putting the team before himself, and giving all of his teammates the credit.

Motion
01-29-2006, 02:57 PM
actually i did see that interview. first of all, he only said it once. secondly, before he said that, he also said "this was a great win...i mean game" (or something). to me that just shows that he wasn't in the right frame of mind, and who would be after a huge loss like that? and even if he meant what he said, so what? he didn't say "i'm the best player on this field" he said "WE are the better team." i have no problem with a quarterback thinking his team is the best, and i love that he didn't just give the politically correct statement of "they just wanted it more" etc etc. but how can you judge a guy's ego on one sentence anyway? his entire career has been marked by calm, humble statements, usually putting the team before himself, and giving all of his teammates the credit.

I see your point, and I wasn't basing it off of just that interview, I just never heard anyone refer to him as humble. Its all good.

Pennington's Rocket Arm
01-29-2006, 02:58 PM
I see your point, and I wasn't basing it off of just that interview, I just never heard anyone refer to him as humble. Its all good.
yes it's good. speaking of good, how bout that UF recruiting class this year?? :D:D:D this team is LOADED for years to come!

Motion
01-29-2006, 03:00 PM
yes it's good. speaking of good, how bout that UF recruiting class this year?? :D:D:D this team is LOADED for years to come!

No doubt :goof: Future is bright in Gainesville!

BlueFin
01-30-2006, 08:51 AM
Perhaps that the way you look at it....but Rivers didn't rise until he played the game....while the scouts and GM's are mostly gone before the game...they indeed get the game film...if they game didn't matter....why would they want it?
Practice is practice...but it's the games where players either rise or fall...the NFL doesn't sell T.V. rights to practices...but to games. What if a player practices great...but when the heat is on...can't play against players that are as good as he is? It all matters....and it's that clear and simple.

Playing well in college is far different than playing well in the Pros.

Maybe you choose to ignore what every scout and personnel man in the league says regarding the importance of the Senior Bowl practices versus the game, but I don't.

Rivers caught Shottenheimers in practice that week, remember, Shottenheimer coached Rivers side in that Senior Bowl.

Every player coming out of college has a big learning curve to go thru when entering the pros, perhaps even more so for a QB. As I said, they are primarily looking at talent and the overall package which includes the players ability to learn when scouting them at the Senior Bowl, they are far less concerned about how well they do in a game with one week to learn a system with brand new coaches and teammates.

Now certainly a player can add an explanation point to his Senior Bowl week in the game, and maybe even catch someones eye, as they have in the past, but the point is, Jay Cutler's stock did not drop because of this game.

That would be similar to saying John Elways stock dropped after his subpar rookie year.

What the NFL saw was, the arm, the release and the intelligence and intangibles that show he can be molded into a successful NFL qb.

fishypete
01-30-2006, 11:08 AM
Playing well in college is far different than playing well in the Pros.

Maybe you choose to ignore what every scout and personnel man in the league says regarding the importance of the Senior Bowl practices versus the game, but I don't.

Rivers caught Shottenheimers in practice that week, remember, Shottenheimer coached Rivers side in that Senior Bowl.

Every player coming out of college has a big learning curve to go thru when entering the pros, perhaps even more so for a QB. As I said, they are primarily looking at talent and the overall package which includes the players ability to learn when scouting them at the Senior Bowl, they are far less concerned about how well they do in a game with one week to learn a system with brand new coaches and teammates.

Now certainly a player can add an explanation point to his Senior Bowl week in the game, and maybe even catch someones eye, as they have in the past, but the point is, Jay Cutler's stock did not drop because of this game.

That would be similar to saying John Elways stock dropped after his subpar rookie year.

What the NFL saw was, the arm, the release and the intelligence and intangibles that show he can be molded into a successful NFL qb.

I'm not ignoring anything Blue...the practices have their place and so does the game...if the game didn't have any importance...why would every scout and GM receive a copy.

Rivers rose because of the game...Blue..Now if Rivers played like Cutler did...perhaps Marty would have been the only coach that would have use a high pick on him.

You say Cutlers stock hasn't drop because of the lousy game he had...first how do you know that? It's way too early to say what the scouts and GM's now think Cutler's worth as a QB. No one has said that he doesn't have a strong arm...quick release...but it's obvious he doesn't have the mental part down...bad decisions....and his footwork is lousy. Try to compare Cutler to Elway isn't going to work Blue....He's not even in the same ball park. Young and Elway are closer.

What the NFL and we saw Blue...was Cutler was 6 for 19 at a 32% comp rating...that Croyle...a kid who everyone states is not as good...played better. What I and others at least found out was Cutler has small hands...again not too good...especially if you play in cold wet weather.

Pennington's Rocket Arm
01-30-2006, 11:58 AM
i know kiper and some scouts have said his stock is the same. kiper didn't change his tune at all after the game about cutler at all, saying detroit will draft him. i hope wherever he goes, he doesn't have to start right away. it won't be pretty.

BlueFin
01-30-2006, 03:19 PM
I'm not ignoring anything Blue...the practices have their place and so does the game...if the game didn't have any importance...why would every scout and GM receive a copy.

Rivers rose because of the game...Blue..Now if Rivers played like Cutler did...perhaps Marty would have been the only coach that would have use a high pick on him.

You say Cutlers stock hasn't drop because of the lousy game he had...first how do you know that? It's way too early to say what the scouts and GM's now think Cutler's worth as a QB. No one has said that he doesn't have a strong arm...quick release...but it's obvious he doesn't have the mental part down...bad decisions....and his footwork is lousy. Try to compare Cutler to Elway isn't going to work Blue....He's not even in the same ball park. Young and Elway are closer.

What the NFL and we saw Blue...was Cutler was 6 for 19 at a 32% comp rating...that Croyle...a kid who everyone states is not as good...played better. What I and others at least found out was Cutler has small hands...again not too good...especially if you play in cold wet weather.

To quote Ronald Reagan..."There you go again Pete"..........

You totally ignore reality too see it the way you choose, if I chose to be a shortsighted person like yourself Pete, I would condemn Croyle for his interception and near interceptions, but I and most others that understand the process know that a game with one week to prepare, with entirely new teamamates, entirely new coaches, and entirely new playbook means very little in the grand scheme, I and the guys that get paid to scout players, are much more concerned with the physical abilities, intelligence ands intangibles that the kid displays during practice, and also the interview process.

And yes, I am comparing the kid to John Elway in this aspect, they are/we're both high first round prospects, I also compared the horrible rookie year Elway had to the poor Senior Bowl performance Cutler had, only shortsighted people like yourself Pete, would use those things to condemn a prospect.

But what more should I expect from you, you are the one that wants to label Rodgers a bust when he hasn't even had a chance to play yet behind Favre, if thats not a narrowminded person I don't know what one is?

fishypete
01-30-2006, 03:37 PM
To quote Ronald Reagan..."There you go again Pete"..........

You totally ignore reality too see it the way you choose, if I chose to be a shortsighted person like yourself Pete, I would condemn Croyle for his interception and near interceptions, but I and most others that understand the process know that a game with one week to prepare, with entirely new teamamates, entirely new coaches, and entirely new playbook means very little in the grand scheme, I and the guys that get paid to scout players, are much more concerned with the physical abilities, intelligence ands intangibles that the kid displays during practice, and also the interview process.

And yes, I am comparing the kid to John Elway in this aspect, they are/we're both high first round prospects, I also compared the horrible rookie year Elway had to the poor Senior Bowl performance Cutler had, only shortsighted people like yourself Pete, would use those things to condemn a prospect.

But what more should I expect from you, you are the one that wants to label Rodgers a bust when he hasn't even had a chance to play yet behind Favre, if thats not a narrowminded person I don't know what one is?

Blue...Who's the hyped player Cutler or Croyle? You would expect Croyle to make mistakes...I expect a 2nd or 3rd rounder to make mistakes...do you...but do you expect a top ten player to do so? Come on Blue...6 out of 19...isn't respectable for a 2nd round pick...never mind a top ten player.
Rodgers isn't a bust because he hasn't had a chance to play yet Blue...he was a hyped up player just like Cutler who dropped like a rock when reality hit. Talk about narrowminded...seems you can't get off that bandwagon of hyped players. Yes I would take Croyle over Cutler...Croyle in the 2nd round is where he belongs...his value isn't inflated by hype and fans who jump on those wagons way too early...before the draft. You see Blue...what I think or you think doesn't mean anything...the only people that matter work for the Dolphins...and on draft day...they'll let us know their decisions. Have fun...thats all this is...and I try to have fun, every day.

By the way...Reagan also said....trust but verify.

BlueFin
01-30-2006, 03:44 PM
Blue...Who's the hyped player Cutler or Croyle? You would expect Croyle to make mistakes...I expect a 2nd or 3rd rounder to make mistakes...do you...but do you expect a top ten player to do so? Come on Blue...6 out of 19...isn't respectable for a 2nd round pick...never mind a top ten player.
Rodgers isn't a bust because he hasn't had a chance to play yet Blue...he was a hyped up player just like Cutler who dropped like a rock when reality hit. Talk about narrowminded...seems you can't get off that bandwagon of hyped players. Yes I would take Croyle over Cutler...Croyle in the 2nd round is where he belongs...his value isn't inflated by hype and fans who jump on those wagons way too early...before the draft. You see Blue...what I think or you think doesn't mean anything...the only people that matter work for the Dolphins...and on draft day...they'll let us know their decisions. Have fun...thats all this is...and I try to have fun, every day.

By the way...Reagan also said....trust but verify.

Pete......this is Houston, We seem to have lost you........nuff said.

fishypete
01-30-2006, 03:50 PM
Pete......this is Houston, We seem to have lost you........nuff said.

Thats alright...I have good company here...your here...nuff said too.:sidelol:

BlueFin
01-30-2006, 04:14 PM
Thats alright...I have good company here...your here...nuff said too.:sidelol:

Major Tom and the occasional Asteroid that flys by? Yes, your in good company....goodnight now Pete.