PDA

View Full Version : Merged: Saban considering trading up?

sports24/7
01-29-2006, 04:25 AM
In this little blurb at the bottom of this article it says a source says he expects Saban to "aggresively explore moving up from 16 to select a QB."

the link is posted below.

sports24/7
01-29-2006, 04:27 AM
here it is (http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/sports/13739221.htm)

http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/sports/13739221.htm

motioncityhifi
01-29-2006, 04:51 AM
says jets new line coach is tony wise....hahahaha

motioncityhifi
01-29-2006, 04:52 AM
as for saban moving up, people also thought we were going to take aaron rodgers or try to trade up and get alex smith. i think its just a smoke screen right now...

HysterikiLL
01-29-2006, 05:06 AM
IMO, if Saban has the balls to give up something substantial in order to get a higher pick, it shows he is indeed willing to give something up, in which case there's no telling how high we could trade up. Imagine if we landed Leinart!

HysterikiLL
01-29-2006, 05:09 AM
"Nolan has control of personnel decisions with the 49ers, and there has been speculation he might be willing to trade down from the No. 7 spot. The Dolphins might be interested in that spot if a quarterback, such as Jay Cutler of Vanderbilt, were available.
Williams, who has expressed a desire to play on the West Coast and has a sister who works in San Francisco, is one of the strongest pieces of trade bait the Dolphins might have to get from No. 16 to a higher position in the draft."

Very interesting that we could trade our 1st and Ricky for a higher 1st. I wonder if that article was written before the senior bowl, because I wouldn't want to spend our first and Ricky to effectively land Jay Cutler. I'd prefer trading with someone else and trying to land Hawk.

DonShula84
01-29-2006, 05:16 AM
IMO, if Saban has the balls to give up something substantial in order to get a higher pick, it shows he is indeed willing to give something up, in which case there's no telling how high we could trade up. Imagine if we landed Leinart!

Huh :confused: If he is willing to give something up it shows he's willing to give something up?

HysterikiLL
01-29-2006, 05:21 AM
Huh :confused: If he is willing to give something up it shows he's willing to give something up?

What I meant by that was it doesn't seem like Saban is a guy who would be willing to give up much, if anything, in order to get a higher draft pick. If he is going to trade up, it would show that his instinctive beliefs are not relative to what would be typical of him to do, therefore there's no saying where we'd trade up to...e.g. if we're willing to give up something to move to seven, it shows we're willing to trade quality for perceived value in this draft, so we could try and make a deal to two or three using the same reasoning. Hope I cleared that up.

DonShula84
01-29-2006, 05:23 AM
What I meant by that was it doesn't seem like Saban is a guy who would be willing to give up much, if anything, in order to get a higher draft pick. If he is going to trade up, it would show that his instinctive beliefs are not relative to what would be typical of him to do, therefore there's no saying where we'd trade up to...e.g. if we're willing to give up something to move to seven, it shows we're willing to trade quality for perceived value in this draft, so we could try and make a deal to two or three using the same reasoning. Hope I cleared that up.

gotcha :D

adamprez2003
01-29-2006, 06:47 AM
If Saban believes Cutler is the real deal he HAS TO TRADE UP! Props if he does it because it shows he's got the stuff to be a succesful in this league. It's not all Xs and Os and Rah rah motivation crap( we have a process, one play at a time, yada, yada yada). He instantly vaults behind Shula if he's got the stuff to move up. Even if Cutler doesn't pan out, it shows he understands the game, the rules, the business of football.

And if he doesn't move up, I'll assume he either doesn't feel Cutler is worth or the trade wasn't there, and I'll be fine with that if we bring in a free agent QB.

So long as we don't start 2006 with Gus, Sage and Cleo again I'm happy

KingCrowder
01-29-2006, 06:59 AM
If Saban trades up i hope it would be for Vince Young more so than Cutler.

dolfn66
01-29-2006, 07:59 AM

Now that's what I'm talking about.

finfan54
01-29-2006, 09:56 AM

that is what Im thinking. Based on yesterdays game, Cutler is not really the real deal as far as being in the top 5. I think Saban thinks he could take Croyle or Whitelhurst and still do the same damage over time. Its way too early to assume that Saban would do anything for sure at this time.

I smell a minny cold pizza in the microwave.

finfan54
01-29-2006, 10:13 AM
If Saban believes Cutler is the real deal he HAS TO TRADE UP! Props if he does it because it shows he's got the stuff to be a succesful in this league. It's not all Xs and Os and Rah rah motivation crap( we have a process, one play at a time, yada, yada yada). He instantly vaults behind Shula if he's got the stuff to move up. Even if Cutler doesn't pan out, it shows he understands the game, the rules, the business of football.

And if he doesn't move up, I'll assume he either doesn't feel Cutler is worth or the trade wasn't there, and I'll be fine with that if we bring in a free agent QB.

So if he doesnt bring in a Free agent QB then he is a piece of crap isnt he?

PhinsRDbest
01-29-2006, 10:14 AM
I think if by any chance Leinart or Young are not picked in the top 4 and the Jets pass on them we trade to the # 7 spot in front of Detroit and Baltimore.
ex.
1st-Houston-Reggie Bush
2nd-New Orleans-Vince Young
3rd-Tenn-Jay Cutler
4th-NY-D'brick Fergusion
5th-Greenbay-Mario Williams
6th-Oakland-AJ Hawk
7th-Miami(from SF)-Matt Leinart

finfan54
01-29-2006, 10:15 AM
"Nolan has control of personnel decisions with the 49ers, and there has been speculation he might be willing to trade down from the No. 7 spot. The Dolphins might be interested in that spot if a quarterback, such as Jay Cutler of Vanderbilt, were available.
Williams, who has expressed a desire to play on the West Coast and has a sister who works in San Francisco, is one of the strongest pieces of trade bait the Dolphins might have to get from No. 16 to a higher position in the draft."

Very interesting that we could trade our 1st and Ricky for a higher 1st. I wonder if that article was written before the senior bowl, because I wouldn't want to spend our first and Ricky to effectively land Jay Cutler. I'd prefer trading with someone else and trying to land Hawk.

I read the other day that Nolan said they have absolutely no interest in Ricky williams because they already have two good RB's. And they can just draft the next LT IMO in the kid from Memphis.

ZolarZ_GoPhins
01-29-2006, 10:26 AM
Saban stated before he is looking for a --> Mobile <-- QB with a --> Strong Arm <--

Now if he came out and said that... I really fig he will look for a QB that fits that bill. He then brought in Cleo Lemon, which does fit that criteria.

I like Croyle but I really doubt we take him, more of a pocket passer.

Maybe Saban is positioning to move up and take Cutler, but recently I think he could be taken 10-15. If he really wants a new QB in camp then maybe it will not take much to move up and get him, but doubt this is where we are headed.

Vince Young is prob the guy Saban wants. Now moving up to top 3 is something to write about and would possibly be a good investment. He fits the model he wants at mobile and having a strong arm. But at what price?

If we move up I would also fig it would be for Vince. Am I hoping for it? Not sure yet.....

Depends on what we would have to give up. Vince is still a work in progress although he seems to have good potential.

Go Phins !

Motion
01-29-2006, 11:12 AM
If Saban trades up i hope it would be for Vince Young

:down: No thanks

kitt23
01-29-2006, 11:26 AM
i think oakland may take leinart if hes available

Jnaledu3
01-29-2006, 11:52 AM
The Senior Bowl was Cutler's time. Did he take advantage of it? Kind of.

The same questions about him remain. His mechanics, decision making, etc. are still questions about him and they will definately need to be developed by the team that drafts him.

But one thing that everybody is sure of now is his arm stregth. He has a NFL arm with a quick release. He can get the ball out of there in a split second.

But from now and until the draft, the focus will be on Vince Young and Matt Leinart. Cutler got a lot of hype this week because he was the best QB in Mobile, and many were expecting him to "let the cat out of the bag."

It will be interesting to see what Leinart and Young do at the combines. Everybody is going to be looking forward to see Vince Young throw.

I dont think the Cutler hype is going to get stronger or be as strong as it was this week. There is still a small chance right now that he could fall to #16. Because when all is said and done teams take the players they NEED in the first round. Detroit and Arizona both have other areas they need to address. But if Saban has to, there should be a oppurtunity there for him to trade up.

dominizzo
01-29-2006, 11:57 AM
I think if by any chance Leinart or Young are not picked in the top 4 and the Jets pass on them we trade to the # 7 spot in front of Detroit and Baltimore.
ex.
1st-Houston-Reggie Bush
2nd-New Orleans-Vince Young
3rd-Tenn-Jay Cutler
4th-NY-D'brick Fergusion
5th-Greenbay-Mario Williams
6th-Oakland-AJ Hawk
7th-Miami(from SF)-Matt Leinart

trust me on this Tennessee Will draft leinart instead of Cutler

dominizzo
01-29-2006, 11:59 AM
Lets say Miami would trade up to get top 3 pick we would have to give our 1st 2nd and 1st next year?

Motion
01-29-2006, 12:15 PM
Lets say Miami would trade up to get top 3 pick we would have to give our 1st 2nd and 1st next year?

And then some probably.

FinAtic8480
01-29-2006, 12:23 PM
Dolphins | Saban may look to trade up in the NFL Draft
Sun, 29 Jan 2006 07:45:15 -0800

Barry Jackson, of the Miami Herald, reports an <A href="http://www.kffl.com/team/77/nfl">NFL person in contact with Miami Dolphins (http://www.kffl.com/team/22/nfl) head coach Nick Saban (http://www.kffl.com/player/9162/nfl) expects Miami to aggressively explore moving up from 16th in the draft to select a quarterback, which will be very difficult. That person said Saban would be willing to open next season with QB Gus Frerotte (http://www.kffl.com/player/392/nfl) if he can somehow achieve his goal of moving up.

dolphan117
01-29-2006, 12:33 PM
Hm, I wonder who this guy thinks Saban likes. I am always a little suspicious when a reporter claims to have inside info on the Mind of Saban.

His Dudeness
01-29-2006, 12:36 PM
it has to be in reference to Cutler. The price for Leinart and Young is way too steep. I don't believe any reporter has some sort of inside scoop with Saban.

dominizzo
Saban is playing master mind games Remember when he said he was gonna select Braylon Edwards!!!! Hes making the Media go crazy

kitt23
id rather not trade up too much. isnt the falcons backup qb a FA, you think miami should look at him, he played pretty good when vick got hurt.

phinfan2003
01-29-2006, 12:38 PM
Does anyone think that Cutler's stock may have dropped a bit after a not-so-good performance at the senior bowl?

MadLib
01-29-2006, 12:38 PM
Obviously Sabans response to any inquiry about upgrading our team is always something along the lines of "im willing to explore anything that benefits the future of this football organization" Pretty much the same thing he said about T.O. I wouldnt look into it too much.

phinfan2003
01-29-2006, 12:39 PM
Saban is playing master mind games Remember when he said he was gonna select Braylon Edwards!!!! Hes making the Media go crazy

If I remember correctly, it wasn't Saban that told Braylon that he was going to be drafted. It was Spielman.

MadLib
01-29-2006, 12:39 PM
Does anyone think that Cutler's stock may have dropped a bit after a not-so-good performance at the senior bowl?

It would be a shame if 3 passes had a large effect on where Cutler is drafted.

dolphan117
01-29-2006, 12:40 PM
Saban is playing master mind games Remember when he said he was gonna select Braylon Edwards!!!! Hes making the Media go crazyThat was my thought too. If I remeber correctly Saben was going to draft Brown, Edwards, Smith, and I think evern Rogers at one point. Or so said the Inside Guy. :wink:

steeda
01-29-2006, 12:42 PM
I guess the real question is, does saban already have his eye on a certain QB. I would say no as of right now simply because he hasnt been given enough time to evaluate the talent pool out there. And wasn't there buzz around here about saban stockpiling draft picks?

Who knows what this man has planned, but I believe he will make the right decisions for this team.

dolphan117
01-29-2006, 12:43 PM
I personly think he shot up draft boards quicker than he should have. I dont know if Saturday droped him as much as brought teams back to the reality that he isnt an NFL ready qb. A lot of upside but needs to be developed.

Hostile 17
01-29-2006, 12:50 PM
It is interesting that Cutler's hype express may be slowing now. That bodes well for anyone (like us) who's intersted in drafting him without over-paying.

As for Vince Young, I want no part of him. He's never played in a pro style system and, like many running quarterbacks, looks confused when trying to find an open man. His first instinct is always to start running around. No thanks.

My dream scenario is that the Jets draft Young and we get to sweep them for the next four or five years running. Vince Young is the Akili Smith of 2006.

dm416
01-29-2006, 12:53 PM

I'm thinking that too.

finsrule84
01-29-2006, 12:59 PM
maybe Saban could be lookig to trade up for Leinart or Young. could happen:eek:

newlownorder
01-29-2006, 01:00 PM
I personly think he shot up draft boards quicker than he should have. I dont know if Saturday droped him as much as brought teams back to the reality that he isnt an NFL ready qb. A lot of upside but needs to be developed.

Also, from what I've been hearing the Jets are looking to trade down to grab him.

rafael
01-29-2006, 01:06 PM

Actually, your memory is faulty. Saban never said that. It was reported incorrectly and then clarified later.

phinfan_1
01-29-2006, 01:07 PM

I agree...there's no way Saban will give up other picks to pick up a QB that isn't a sure thing. There's just to many needs to roll the dice on 1 guy.

Dors156
01-29-2006, 01:08 PM
i wish for young but i hope we dont get cutler.id rather get whitehurst knowing he putplayed cutler yesterday

Pocoloco
01-29-2006, 01:12 PM

that would be a steal

dolphan117
01-29-2006, 01:15 PM
Actually, your memory is faulty. Saban never said that. It was reported incorrectly and then clarified later. Thats the point. Un named sources close to Saban were reported as saying he wanted Edwards. I am not talking about what our gm at the time suposedly said to Edwards either.

rafael
01-29-2006, 01:17 PM
That's a good sign. If true, it means that Saban realizes that the chances of building a dynasty without a great QB are almost nonexistant. And that you can only find great QBs in FA or late in the draft once in a blue moon.

FinAtic8480
01-29-2006, 01:20 PM
In the end f we dont trade up Saban will get the BPA,but since las year Saban has been trying to land a QB we all kow he wanted Smith, and when Smith was not there
he passed on all the other QB's so if this year he wants his QB and he wants to trade up and get him he will.How much longer before we draft a QB since 1982 we havent drafted a QB.His name is MArino a legend but we know we need a young QB.If he trades up and gets Cutler,if Cutler is there at 16 or if we grab Croyle or Whitehurst in the later rounds truth is we need a Qb for the future and it wont be ignored no more.......

fish920
01-29-2006, 01:21 PM
What about garrard from jax?

AllRiteMiami
01-29-2006, 01:22 PM
If Saban trades up its gonna be because hes sure he has his man...we gotta trust him whoever he picks. Until he slips up and makes a poor decision i say we trust in Saban.:dolphins:

kitt23
01-29-2006, 01:23 PM
wut about that guy schaub from atlanta, i think hes a FA.

FinAtic8480
01-29-2006, 01:28 PM
Exactly the answer to a Dynasty is a franchise QB, also you guys Saban is one hell of a talent evaluater so i sincerely doubt the QB he gets will be a bust. I remembered last year when we all Questioned the signing of Gus, I also remembered when some of you thought Feely was the answer.Turns out Saban stuck with Gus the whole Season and besides his accuracy problem early on
, Gus had the best year in his career..... So in Saban we trust and atleast it aint Wanny trading the future of this team...If Saban thinks we need to trade up he will.....

fishypete
01-29-2006, 01:29 PM
The Senior Bowl was Cutler's time. Did he take advantage of it? Kind of.

The same questions about him remain. His mechanics, decision making, etc. are still questions about him and they will definately need to be developed by the team that drafts him.

But one thing that everybody is sure of now is his arm stregth. He has a NFL arm with a quick release. He can get the ball out of there in a split second.

But from now and until the draft, the focus will be on Vince Young and Matt Leinart. Cutler got a lot of hype this week because he was the best QB in Mobile, and many were expecting him to "let the cat out of the bag."

It will be interesting to see what Leinart and Young do at the combines. Everybody is going to be looking forward to see Vince Young throw.

I dont think the Cutler hype is going to get stronger or be as strong as it was this week. There is still a small chance right now that he could fall to #16. Because when all is said and done teams take the players they NEED in the first round. Detroit and Arizona both have other areas they need to address. But if Saban has to, there should be a oppurtunity there for him to trade up.

I think the hype is already done....Croyle outplayed Cutler...and even if you don't believe that...you have to believe he played even with him...so does that make Cutler a top ten pick...not unless your on drugs. After the All Star Challenge and the combine...Cutler will fall to where he should have been all along...the 2nd round.

Caps
01-29-2006, 01:29 PM
wut about that guy schaub from atlanta, i think hes a FA.

He's not.

Pocoloco
01-29-2006, 01:30 PM
well Leinart has got to be considered a 'can't-miss' prospect, and Young has all the tools, and is clutch. Either one would be amazing. But I don't see Saban going into the top 3 to get one of them, one will have to slip to 7 or so before we pull the trigger.
I'm sure Saban holds Cutler in high regard. SEC coach and SEC player of the year. I'm sure this is who we're really talking about.

mia420finz
01-29-2006, 01:32 PM
What about Gino Torreta or Steve Walsh or Brock Berlin.Oh no its Frank Costa.Yeah thats who Saban wants.A stud at QB like that would fit perfectly...Gus for another year would be horrible.Only if theres a QB of the future on the bench.

Fresh
01-29-2006, 01:33 PM
I'd give up almost anything for Vince Young.

Regan21286
01-29-2006, 01:35 PM
maybe Saban could be lookig to trade up for Leinart or Young. could happen:eek:

I'd love to see that happen. Only thing this team really needs is a franchise QB and only good gambles out there are Leinart, Young, and maybe Cutler. Though it's more likely for Cutler.

FinAtic8480
01-29-2006, 01:38 PM
It could be Cutler or Croyle or Whitehurst who ever Saban thinks is good enough.If Sabans Wants Cutler he will trade up and if he doesn't.he will draft Whitehurst or Croyle whoever we grab Saban will draft them cause he thought they could be our Franchise QB.I mean look at Frye he performed well this year when given the oppurtunity so just wait and see, but we defitnetly need a franchise QB.....

SCall13
01-29-2006, 01:40 PM
says jets new line coach is tony wise....hahahaha

Tony Wise is an innovator. He is the pioneer of the revolving door technique. :lol:

tylerdolphin
01-29-2006, 01:48 PM
I wouldnt be opposed at all for a trade up, but only for a QB.
Draft picks will do us nothing if we dont have a QB.

PassRush
01-29-2006, 02:00 PM
I am pretty set against a quarterback in the first round unless there is a Carson Palmer or Eli Manning sitting there waiting for the first pick of the draft. In my opinion, it would be a better bet to get Croyle in the third and still pick up a bluechip playmaker in the first

Motion
01-29-2006, 02:11 PM
As for Vince Young, I want no part of him. He's never played in a pro style system and, like many running quarterbacks, looks confused when trying to find an open man. His first instinct is always to start running around. No thanks.

My dream scenario is that the Jets draft Young and we get to sweep them for the next four or five years running.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

fishypete
01-29-2006, 02:15 PM
It is interesting that Cutler's hype express may be slowing now. That bodes well for anyone (like us) who's intersted in drafting him without over-paying.

My dream scenario is that the Jets draft Young and we get to sweep them for the next four or five years running. Vince Young is the Akili Smith of 2006.

What kind of system did Cutler play in? Didn't they just change his offense this year....what did he use before that?
If your looking a system type QB....better stick with Croyle. If your looking for the best natural talent and the person with the most ability...hope for Young.

Motion
01-29-2006, 02:20 PM
What kind of system did Cutler play in? Didn't they just change his offense this year....what did he use before that?
If your looking a system type QB....better stick with Croyle. If your looking for the best natural talent and the person with the most ability...hope for Young.

Cutler played in the option before this year which is much different than Young's shotgun "improvise" offense. No doubt that Young is a gifted athlete but personally I've never been a fan of running Qbs and he's as much of one as you can be.

LarryFinFan
01-29-2006, 02:22 PM
This is the time of year that 'rumors' will be floating on every team...Last year at this time, we were sure to draft Smith because SF wasn't interested in him...

That said, Saban will go after someone. He'll have a veteran/potential starter by the seasons' start and a young gun sitting on the pine learning...Just my opinion, but going into the draft with the sole intent of trading up for Leinart, Young, Cutler (the ones that figure to be top 8-9 as of now) is not a chance that Saban will take. Whether Cutler is as good as where he appears to be now won't be determined until much later in the year, after the combine and individual workouts. I personally think that he either was swayed by RS or others on the staff as to AJs worth last year, or figured that he had to give AJ another shot beings we gave up a 2nd for him and it just didn't work out and then was stuck with Gus as the starter. He knew what Gus potential was...and then Gus went out and proved it...well, sorry I digress.....

Given our situation at QB, it just doesn't make sense that he'd take the chance going into the draft with just Gus as our option if things didn't work out in the draft...

On a side note, it would be kinda nice to have that #2 overall this year instead of last year, even tho I wouldn't trade RB back....

Pennington's Rocket Arm
01-29-2006, 02:27 PM
I think the hype is already done....Croyle outplayed Cutler...and even if you don't believe that...you have to believe he played even with him...so does that make Cutler a top ten pick...not unless your on drugs. After the All Star Challenge and the combine...Cutler will fall to where he should have been all along...the 2nd round.
cutler is a project for a pro-style offense. croyle has been in one for years. i think a lot ofp eople expected croyle to play better, but he wasn't even that much better. cutler had some improvements over the week, so i think he's just getting started on his development. it was a very valuable week for him. but, if cutler is to go to the second round, then so should vince young, who is even more raw as a passer

Terror
01-29-2006, 02:31 PM
Cutler is this year's Rivers.

Motion
01-29-2006, 02:32 PM
cutler is a project for a pro-style offense. croyle has been in one for years. i think a lot ofp eople expected croyle to play better, but he wasn't even that much better. cutler had some improvements over the week, so i think he's just getting started on his development. it was a very valuable week for him. but, if cutler is to go to the second round, then so should vince young, who is even more raw as a passer

Well said. Cutler really benefited from the switch to a pro-style offense this year. And as you said he's just getting started, once he masters the system and works on his mechanics/footwork he'll be unstoppable.

CanadaFinFan
01-29-2006, 02:35 PM
I dont think that he should trade up. After all, trading up that high in the draft may just well be way too expensive.
Maybe in order to trade up Ricky could be used as a potential draft bait???
I am not the expert, but trading up in the draft has lots of repercussions.

I would rather take best player available and see what happens in the latrer rounds.

tylerdolphin
01-29-2006, 02:38 PM
I am not the expert, but trading up in the draft has lots of repercussions.
Or it can turn your franchise around. You just have to be sure that the guy you trade up for is "the guy".

CanadaFinFan
01-29-2006, 02:50 PM
I know that this is a bad example, but I just cant get over the whole San Diego QB mess thay had with Ryan Leaf.

I know that Saban and Mueller are real intellegent guys, but that was just such a back breaker for that franchsie.

kitt23
01-29-2006, 02:55 PM
whatever saban does i have complete trust in him.

phinfan2003
01-29-2006, 02:55 PM
I know that Whitehurst had pretty good stats in the senior bowl but for some reason, I wasn't impressed with his throws. I'm no NFL scout but to me it seemed that Whitehurst seemed to throw soft, looping passes. Personally, I want a QB that is big, tall, and has a big arm.

CanadaFinFan
01-29-2006, 02:57 PM
I kinds feel the same way, he is the most intellegent person who knows the most about our team. He has surrounded himself with one of the best GM's in the business. Who knows what they are thinking about. For all we know they could be thinking about someone who we havent even thought about.

wyo
01-29-2006, 03:16 PM
He is the fourth ranked QB on most boards. He is a JR so he did not play in the senior bowl. Thus nobody is talking about him. He is better than Whitehust and Croyle in my opinion. This guy is big and is real accurate. 6ft 4in and 225. He had 41 td and 4 int his soph season. I hope the hype stays away from him and we can get him.

PassRush
01-29-2006, 03:30 PM
I know that Whitehurst had pretty good stats in the senior bowl but for some reason, I wasn't impressed with his throws. I'm no NFL scout but to me it seemed that Whitehurst seemed to throw soft, looping passes. Personally, I want a QB that is big, tall, and has a big arm.

I agree with that, Whitehurst puts way too much air under the long balls and not enough zip on the bullets. As far as the big guy with a great arm, I would prefer a bigger guy behind center but somehow I find myself enchanted by the possibility of Croyle in Miami, he needs to pack on some pounds but he is a smart player with a hell of an arm. He also handles pressure well

phinfan2003
01-29-2006, 03:53 PM
He is the fourth ranked QB on most boards. He is a JR so he did not play in the senior bowl. Thus nobody is talking about him. He is better than Whitehust and Croyle in my opinion. This guy is big and is real accurate. 6ft 4in and 225. He had 41 td and 4 int his soph season. I hope the hype stays away from him and we can get him.

I haven't seen much of him but I have seen those numbers in the sig of some poster here (I'm talking about his height, weight, and stats). I wonder what the big knock on him is (other than his youth) that have him rated a 4th round talent.

phinfan2003
01-29-2006, 03:55 PM
I agree with that, Whitehurst puts way too much air under the long balls and not enough zip on the bullets. As far as the big guy with a great arm, I would prefer a bigger guy behind center but somehow I find myself enchanted by the possibility of Croyle in Miami, he needs to pack on some pounds but he is a smart player with a hell of an arm. He also handles pressure well

My only concern with Croyle is that Alabama wasn't really known for it's offense. That may not have been his fault but I remember seeing them play in games where FG's is pretty much what the offense could muster.

PhinGeneral
01-29-2006, 03:58 PM

What exactly would the point of that be?

Jaj
01-29-2006, 04:02 PM

Umm that's Whitehurst :sidelol:

Motion
01-29-2006, 04:05 PM
This is good news if its true. We're way past due for a good young QB. Go get him Nick!

PhinPhreak
01-29-2006, 04:05 PM
Dolphins | Saban may look to trade up in the NFL Draft
Sun, 29 Jan 2006 07:45:15 -0800

Barry Jackson, of the Miami Herald, reports an NFL person in contact with Miami Dolphins head coach Nick Saban expects Miami to aggressively explore moving up from 16th in the draft to select a quarterback, which will be very difficult. That person said Saban would be willing to open next season with QB Gus Frerotte if he can somehow achieve his goal of moving up.

infiltrateib
01-29-2006, 04:10 PM
This doesn't make sense. The only QB we'd have a shot of trading up to get would be Cutler, and there's no telling if he'll go top 10, 15, 20. Some sites (Draft Countdown) have him at a reach at 16, others have him going top 10.

Young and Leinart are likely off the board by pick 6. We're not trading all the way up there (at least I'd bet heavily against it...). Unless Leinart slides to 10ish (unlikely IMO) in which case I'd jump on that REALLY quickly.

DeathStar
01-29-2006, 04:15 PM
move up one spot in the first round to get vernon carey while giving up a 4th round pick to vikings. even though the vikings weren't going for him. stupid rick.

Cannonboy
01-29-2006, 04:16 PM
I really don't remember. If it did it must have been the early years of the franchise when I was just a toddler and had no idea what football was.

infiltrateib
01-29-2006, 04:19 PM
Aside from the deperate need for a QB, we're at a pretty good position in the draft. The salary's good, and we can catch someone slipping. I'd like to be at about 12, but 16's a nice slot. Plus, we will probably have a shot at one of the following 5: Huff, Justice, Jimmy Williams, Cutler, Greenway. Any of those players would be a steal at that pick, IMO.

FinsAreLife
01-29-2006, 04:23 PM
I really don't remember. If it did it must have been the early years of the franchise when I was just a toddler and had no idea what football was.

i sure as heck dont remember seeing that im only 14, im not sure if even have, we might have though

Pocoloco
01-29-2006, 04:25 PM
move up one spot in the first round to get vernon carey while giving up a 4th round pick to vikings. even though the vikings weren't going for him. stupid rick.

yeah, that was the last time I think. What a boneheaded move

dolfn66
01-29-2006, 04:25 PM
I loved the 2005 draft and think Saban made a lot of wise choices. It seems Miami finally has a scouting team that does their homework. Whoever Nick Saban decides to go with in the first round I'm sure will make an impact for years to come.

EBMisfit
01-29-2006, 04:27 PM
Barry Jackson, of the Miami Herald, reports an NFL person in contact with Miami Dolphins head coach Nick Saban expects Miami to aggressively explore moving up from 16th in the draft to select a quarterback, which will be very difficult.

I would expect Saban to agressively pursue anything that he would think would improve the team. How likely he is to actually achieve such a trade, however, is another question.

sports24/7
01-29-2006, 04:28 PM

IMO this is the team we have the greatest chance to trade up with unless their coaching staff fell in love with DeAngelo Williams at the Senior Bowl. Ricky would be a great 1-2 with Gore, but they might also be willing to do the trade for picks, which is what I would prefer.

dm416
01-29-2006, 04:39 PM

A really stupid move by Wanny :shakeno:

FinsAreLife
01-29-2006, 04:41 PM

o yeah i forgot about that, i was all appy when that happened, then i found out we picked vernon and gave up a 4th i got really pissed

Pennington's Rocket Arm
01-29-2006, 04:43 PM
it must've been another team that was trying to trade with minnesota as well

LarryFinFan
01-29-2006, 04:48 PM
This doesn't make sense. The only QB we'd have a shot of trading up to get would be Cutler, and there's no telling if he'll go top 10, 15, 20. Some sites (Draft Countdown) have him at a reach at 16, others have him going top 10.

Young and Leinart are likely off the board by pick 6. We're not trading all the way up there (at least I'd bet heavily against it...). Unless Leinart slides to 10ish (unlikely IMO) in which case I'd jump on that REALLY quickly.

Cutler has moved up into the top ten by most scouts and draftniks with his performance in the Senior bowl practices. The likelyhood of him being available to us is not good at this point. There were lingering questions about his polish and arm strength, that he seems to have answered at the Senior bowl, despite his actual play in the game (he was ok, but not spectacular).

I doubt that Saban will leave to chance us being able to select the QB he wants to the draft. That's not to say he won't go after a guy in the 2nd-4th rounds, but trading up just doesn't seem to be his style or the smart thing to do, based on the number of areas we need help in other than QB. Even though this statement has come out by Barry Jackson, I don't hold much credence to it. Even if he were working on a trade-up scenario, would he blab it out there just yet ?? I doubt it, he's too calculating for that. My best guess is that he'll get an upgrade to Gus that can carry the team in FA and then plan on drafting our future QB in the 2nd to 4ht rounds...He also has Lemon, that we as fans know very little about...I'm sure Saban knows more about him, so who knows...

LarryFinFan
01-29-2006, 04:52 PM

Read the accounts by Carey...Rick wasn't so stupid...Whoever the other team was (the Pats I think) had him on the phone when RS made the trade and picked Carey...He was the second best OT in that draft and was drafted in the right slot for him...He hasn't turned out to be the LT we thought he would, but DW and T. Wise had a lot to do with that as well. Amazing how much better he played this year with real coaching...He's not anywhere near elite, but certainly better than his first year....

Jaj
01-29-2006, 04:55 PM
Read the accounts by Carey...Rick wasn't so stupid...Whoever the other team was (the Pats I think) had him on the phone when RS made the trade and picked Carey...He was the second best OT in that draft and was drafted in the right slot for him...He hasn't turned out to be the LT we thought he would, but DW and T. Wise had a lot to do with that as well. Amazing how much better he played this year with real coaching...He's not anywhere near elite, but certainly better than his first year....

Andrews was the 2nd best OT in that draft. It was a dumb trade for a RG/RT, atleast at that point. Wilfork would have been a better pick.

Pennington's Rocket Arm
01-29-2006, 04:58 PM
andrews is a guard

PhinSoldia
01-29-2006, 05:02 PM
IMO this is the team we have the greatest chance to trade up with unless their coaching staff fell in love with DeAngelo Williams at the Senior Bowl. Ricky would be a great 1-2 with Gore, but they might also be willing to do the trade for picks, which is what I would prefer.

i was thinking San Fran as well...i dont know why but if Nicky was to pull the trigger it would be with Nolan

fishypete
01-29-2006, 05:32 PM
Cutler played in the option before this year which is much different than Young's shotgun "improvise" offense. No doubt that Young is a gifted athlete but personally I've never been a fan of running Qbs and he's as much of one as you can be.

Option? That is a system that the QB runs in.

fishypete
01-29-2006, 05:51 PM

O.K. If Young is raw for a passer....how did he throw for 26 tds and 3000 yds?

He's as much a passer as any QB in this draft...in fact he better than most.

Cutler...273/462....59.1% comp....6.7 yds per att...21 tds 9 int....126.1 passing rating

Young..212/325...65.2% comp ...9.3 yds per att...26 tds 10 int....163.9 passing rating

Croyle...202/329...59.6% comp...7.4 yds per att...14 tds 4 ints...132.8% passing rating

Leinart...283/431...65.7% comp...8.9 yds per att...28 tds 8 int.....157.7% passing rating

I'll add Brady Quinn since everyone seems to like him;

Quinn...292/450...64.9% comp...8.7 yds per att... 32 tds 7 ints....158.4% passing rating.

Now just how raw could young be...if he has the 2nd best comp rating...the highest yds per att rating....and the highest passing rating? You may not like the way he throws...or the way he runs....but he's a winner...and thats all that matters.

phinfan2003
01-29-2006, 05:58 PM
Umm that's Whitehurst :sidelol:

Which part is Whitehurts? The soft, looping passer or the big, tall, cannon of an arm passer?

finfan54
01-29-2006, 06:03 PM
I dont think Saban would go for Cutlers cockiness which i hear is coming out and i kinda picked up on that when interviewed yesterday on the sideline. Saban wants either Croyle or Whitehurst IMO and will look at others who arent even mentioned alot or at all. I think this report is BS. Cutler is going to go around 9 or 10 and if those teams dont pick him he would be all ours at 16 only for alot of people to be disappointed that Saban picks Greenway LB Iowa.

fishypete
01-29-2006, 06:13 PM
It would be a shame if 3 passes had a large effect on where Cutler is drafted.

6 out of 19 isn't three.

CanadaPhinsFan
01-29-2006, 06:16 PM
it has to be in reference to Cutler. The price for Leinart and Young is way too steep. I don't believe any reporter has some sort of inside scoop with Saban.

If the reporter is right, that makes sense. The price to go from #16 to #2 or #3 would probably prevent Saban from making that kind of deal. I would like to see them end up with Cutler. It has been a long time since this franchise used a #1 pick on a QB.

BSQX4
01-29-2006, 06:17 PM
Jaj is RIGHT!!!! Wilfork was the correct pick. An agile, unmovable monster in the middle of the d-line.

Jaj
01-29-2006, 06:18 PM
I dont think Saban would go for Cutlers cockiness which i hear is coming out and i kinda picked up on that when interviewed yesterday on the sideline. Saban wants either Croyle or Whitehurst IMO and will look at others who arent even mentioned alot or at all. I think this report is BS. Cutler is going to go around 9 or 10 and if those teams dont pick him he would be all ours at 16 only for alot of people to be disappointed that Saban picks Greenway LB Iowa.

Cockiness in a QB is a good thing. Do you have any idea how cocky Marino and Elway were?

fishypete
01-29-2006, 06:19 PM
The only way he can move that far up is if he can trade Ricky for a 1st...I'm a hopeful guy....but thats darn right a miracle. Other than that...he'd have to pull a Ditka...and my socks would drop if he ever did something like that...Just my feeling...but if this "rumor" has any truth in it....Saban is just trying to stir the pot up early...just to see what happens.

Aqua4Ever04
01-29-2006, 06:27 PM
That article on the home page says Saban might try and move up. While i think this is a good idea, I really dont watn to see Frerotte starting ANY games next season.

phinfanNY08
01-29-2006, 06:38 PM
That article on the home page says Saban might try and move up. While i think this is a good idea, I really dont watn to see Frerotte starting ANY games next season.

he will take a pay cut and he will help out the rookie saban will draft. you gotta understand, ferotte may not have the goods to move the team to the next level but while saban rebuilds the franchise (because it is far from done), he will provide good help. getting mcnair, kitna, or any other vet as old as gus is just a waste.

trade possibilities could be with the 49ers/packers/saints. we can offer a package of booker, swap of 1st rd picks, a 2nd or 1st next year and a conditional late rounder. if we can trade with the saints, we have a shot to get young or leinhart, also the saints can use the additional picks to snag croyle, whitehurts, or shockley. i think they snag joey harrington through FA

Pocoloco
01-29-2006, 06:45 PM
Now just how raw could young be...if he has the 2nd best comp rating...the highest yds per att rating....and the highest passing rating? You may not like the way he throws...or the way he runs....but he's a winner...and thats all that matters.

You're right fishy, it would be nice to stumble across a reasonable trade-up deal to get him. But I doubt it happens. It's alot more likely we'll be gameplanning against Young on Sundays than the other way around.

PhinsRDbest
01-29-2006, 06:54 PM
Tony Wise is an innovator. He is the pioneer of the revolving door technique. :lol:
Classic :sidelol:

finfan54
01-29-2006, 07:32 PM
we aint moving. We aint trading anyone except maybe Madison and he will only draw a third rounder at best.

phinfan2003
01-29-2006, 07:45 PM
6 out of 19 isn't three.

Ouch! On paper, that isn't good at all. I know that there are a lot factors to consider (lack of familiarity with the players, plays, etc.) but that sure didn't put him in Leinart/Young category. I guess he better impress at the combine if he wants to move up.

fishypete
01-29-2006, 07:55 PM
Ouch! On paper, that isn't good at all. I know that there are a lot factors to consider (lack of familiarity with the players, plays, etc.) but that sure didn't put him in Leinart/Young category. I guess he better impress at the combine if he wants to move up.

He had the same conditions as the rest of the QB's. 32% comp rating for a hyped first rounder is pitiful...under any conditions...add it's out now that he has small hands...going down.

fishypete
01-29-2006, 08:00 PM
You're right fishy, it would be nice to stumble across a reasonable trade-up deal to get him. But I doubt it happens. It's alot more likely we'll be gameplanning against Young on Sundays than the other way around.

Not unless Tennessee after watching the players at the senior Bowl figures he can get a good QB in Croyle in the 2nd round and works out a trade for Ricky and the 16th pick. This way he gets a first round type running back that plays cheap...plus he can use the 16th pick for either Cutler...why I don't know...just threw that in...or another player...and use his 2nd rounder for Croyle.

Pennington's Rocket Arm
01-29-2006, 09:53 PM
He had the same conditions as the rest of the QB's. 32% comp rating for a hyped first rounder is pitiful...under any conditions...add it's out now that he has small hands...going down.
no player is the same. croyle and whitehurst have spent a lot more time in a pro-style offense than cutler, and even in high school were more pure passers than cutler. he's a project. i'll agree with you that he should be drafted low based on production, but not because he won't be good, he's just going to take time to get good. but if he's going to drop, then young should as well for the same reason. but that won't happen. neither will start for a few years.

adamprez2003
01-29-2006, 11:54 PM
So if he doesnt bring in a Free agent QB then he is a piece of crap isnt he?

If he were to somehow go through the entire offseason and fail to bring in a QB either through free agncy or through the draft then he's no better than Wanny or Johnson. We ain't winning a Super Bowl with our three QBs. This really isn't a secret nor is it debatable really. He put off getting a QB last season and so now time is running out. Hopefully he brings us a winner

Danny
01-30-2006, 12:52 AM
I doubt that Nick is gonna move up for any QB in the 1st round unless is like 2 or 3 spots if that.I think he'll stay at 16 and take the best player on his board and we'll get a QB later on.This is not Wanny who loved giving picks away.

Ozzy rules!!

Motion
01-30-2006, 09:06 AM
O.K. If Young is raw for a passer....how did he throw for 26 tds and 3000 yds?

He's as much a passer as any QB in this draft...in fact he better than most.

Cutler...273/462....59.1% comp....6.7 yds per att...21 tds 9 int....126.1 passing rating

Young..212/325...65.2% comp ...9.3 yds per att...26 tds 10 int....163.9 passing rating

Croyle...202/329...59.6% comp...7.4 yds per att...14 tds 4 ints...132.8% passing rating

Leinart...283/431...65.7% comp...8.9 yds per att...28 tds 8 int.....157.7% passing rating

I'll add Brady Quinn since everyone seems to like him;

Quinn...292/450...64.9% comp...8.7 yds per att... 32 tds 7 ints....158.4% passing rating.

If your gonna start throwing out stats, why don't we post opposing defensive ratings and strength of schedules???

OzziePhin
01-30-2006, 09:51 AM
If he were to somehow go through the entire offseason and fail to bring in a QB either through free agncy or through the draft then he's no better than Wanny or Johnson. We ain't winning a Super Bowl with our three QBs. This really isn't a secret nor is it debatable really. He put off getting a QB last season and so now time is running out. Hopefully he brings us a winner

I think a lot of you have forgotten the trade of Feeley for Lemon. We still do not know what Lemon brings to the table and I for one think there is no way we draft QB in the 1st round. Look for OT,LB or DB. These are all areas of major concern. Gus did an adequate job last year and we need to shore things up in the rest of the tem before tossing it all away on a maybe QB pick.

BTW how has he put off getting a QB last year? He bought in two, namely Gus and Lemon.

EBMisfit
01-30-2006, 09:59 AM
I'd love to see that happen. Only thing this team really needs is a franchise QB....
I'd say the 'Phins have a lot more needs than just a franchise QB. LB, secondary (especially if Madison and/or Schulters isn't back), and OL aren't exactly top units.

Draft picks will do us nothing if we dont have a QB.
However, I don't think we need a great QB, just a good one, to succeed.

Ricky would be a great 1-2 with Gore....
I think he makes an even better 1-2 with Ronnie.:wink:

Read the accounts by Carey...Rick wasn't so stupid.
The stupidity part wasn't just the pick but that the front office made it so clear that we were going to do just about anything to get an OT with the first pick and thus let the Vikes take advantage of them.

andrews is a guard
He is now, but only, if I recall correctly, because Philly already had two good OTs and wanted to groom him for that position in case one of them leaves this year in FA (Runyon, I think).

That depends on whether Saban is able to upgrade the position or not. I'd rather not Saban change things just to change things.

A really stupid move by Wanny :shakeno:
Not like it was his only one. Then again, his best move most likely was resigning (not re-signing).

riding_becky
01-30-2006, 10:18 AM
I don't know if this has been mentioned yet but "trading up for a QB" doesn't necessarily mean it'll be in the first round..... maybe he isn't confident Croyle or Whitehurst will be there at pick 16 in round 2 or 3?

-riiiiiiiiiide becky

RunningBackGuru
01-30-2006, 10:28 AM

Yeah, and im starting to think that's what he will do.

fishypete
01-30-2006, 11:18 AM
If your gonna start throwing out stats, why don't we post opposing defensive ratings and strength of schedules???

Post anything you want...but remember that half the SEC had losing season's.

I think the BCS did that for you.

Motion
01-30-2006, 12:45 PM
Post anything you want...but remember that half the SEC had losing season's.

I think the BCS did that for you.

I think we all know who played the harder schedule and tougher defenses.

fishypete
01-30-2006, 01:15 PM
I think we all know who played the harder schedule and tougher defenses.

We could go on and on, trying to compare Texas to any SEC team...it's impossible since they would have to play each other...to see which team was better. The only results that are fact and matter is Texas won the National Championship...beating the two time National champion.

Motion
01-30-2006, 01:22 PM
We could go on and on, trying to compare Texas to any SEC team...it's impossible since they would have to play each other...to see which team was better. The only results that are fact and matter is Texas won the National Championship...beating the two time National champion.

Both of which play in weak conferences.

fishypete
01-30-2006, 02:06 PM
Both of which play in weak conferences.

How did the SEC teams play in the Bowl games...if they are so strong.

The top two teams in the Nation...and they play in weak conferences...and what happened to the other half of the SEC...You know the ones with losing seasons? When Texas beat Arkansas in 2004 when Young was a sophomore...that didn't mean anything? Texas has only lost one game in the last two years...I guess that doesn't matter either.

The only constant good team from the SEC...has been LSU.

Motion
01-30-2006, 02:16 PM
How did the SEC teams play in the Bowl games...if they are so strong.

The top two teams in the Nation...and they play in weak conferences...and what happened to the other half of the SEC...You know the ones with losing seasons? When Texas beat Arkansas in 2004 when Young was a sophomore...that didn't mean anything? Texas has only lost one game in the last two years...I guess that doesn't matter either.

The only constant good team from the SEC...has been LSU.

Arkansas? Is that the best you could come up with? Fact is the SEC, Big Ten, and ACC are the dominant conferences in college football hands down. You wanna talk about constants? look at the Top 25 teams any given week during the season and tell me where what conference their from.

phinphan11
01-30-2006, 02:36 PM
The only way he can move that far up is if he can trade Ricky for a 1st...I'm a hopeful guy....but thats darn right a miracle. Other than that...he'd have to pull a Ditka...and my socks would drop if he ever did something like that...Just my feeling...but if this "rumor" has any truth in it....Saban is just trying to stir the pot up early...just to see what happens.

He could trade RW and our first.... but I am not for that deal.

fishypete
01-30-2006, 02:42 PM
Arkansas? Is that the best you could come up with? Fact is the SEC, Big Ten, and ACC are the dominant conferences in college football hands down. You wanna talk about constants? look at the Top 25 teams any given week during the season and tell me where what conference their from.

Again..and I know I'm just wasting my time....what two teams played for the championship? Everything else is pure speculation...and I'm being very nice saying that.

Jaj
01-30-2006, 02:45 PM
Again..and I know I'm just wasting my time....what two teams played for the championship? Everything else is pure speculation...and I'm being very nice saying that.

Here's enough proof. The best NFL talente comes out of which conferences??? :rolleyes:

To say the Big 12 and Pac-10 are better is just ignorance frankly. There's no way around. All because one team from each was incredibly good, doesn't mean the whole conferences are better. Comon do you really think UCLA could have taken LSU or Alabama?

Motion
01-30-2006, 02:49 PM

That wasn't the point but since your being "nice", okay :rolleyes:

fishypete
01-30-2006, 02:50 PM
Here's enough proof. The best NFL talente comes out of which conferences??? :rolleyes:

To say the Big 12 and Pac-10 are better is just ignorance frankly. There's no way around. All because one team from each was incredibly good, doesn't mean the whole conferences are better. Comon do you really think UCLA could have taken LSU or Alabama?

What happened to South Carolina and Georgia?

Or did they throw them out of the SEC?

This is like saying the AFC east is the toughest....yet there's no team playing in the Superbowl...facts speak louder than words.

Motion
01-30-2006, 02:54 PM
What happened to South Carolina and Georgia?

Or did they throw them out of the SEC?

This is like saying the AFC east is the toughest....yet there's no team playing in the Superbowl...facts speak louder than words.

And your judging entire conferences by a couple bowl games which is completely ridiculous. You have a serious problem admitting your wrong. That was the whole point, conference strength as a whole, the Pac10 and Big 12 don't have it, period.

fishypete
01-30-2006, 02:59 PM
And your judging entire conferences by a couple bowl games which is completely ridiculous. You have a serious problem admitting your wrong. That was the whole point, conference strength as a whole, the Pac10 and Big 12 don't have it, period.

Again..it wasn't me stating that the SEC is God's greatest gift to us dumb humans...As I said...what the SEC...or any other conference is has no meaning...the only fact is that the two teams that played for the championship came from the pac-10 and big-12...everything else is noise.

SuperDuperFan
01-30-2006, 03:19 PM
Vince Young is the Akili Smith of 2006.

I have to disagree pretty strongly with this. I dont want to give up the house for Young either, but by no means is he another Akili Smith. He has way more leadership and better skills. Did you see him run all over USC in the National Championship? The guy is super fast and has a cannon for an arm. I dont see any likeness to akili smith at all.....Im curious to know what makes him comparable?

Jaj
01-30-2006, 03:21 PM
I have to disagree pretty strongly with this. I dont want to give up the house for Young either, but by no means is he another Akili Smith. He has way more leadership and better skills. Did you see him run all over USC in the National Championship? The guy is super fast and has a cannon for an arm. I dont see any likeness to akili smith at all.....Im curious to know what makes him comparable?

Heh heh heh heh heh :rolleyes:

I wonder too...

adamprez2003
01-30-2006, 07:31 PM
I think a lot of you have forgotten the trade of Feeley for Lemon. We still do not know what Lemon brings to the table and I for one think there is no way we draft QB in the 1st round. Look for OT,LB or DB. These are all areas of major concern. Gus did an adequate job last year and we need to shore things up in the rest of the tem before tossing it all away on a maybe QB pick.

BTW how has he put off getting a QB last year? He bought in two, namely Gus and Lemon.

I don't consider bringing in Gus a solution to our QB problem. As for Lemon, you may be right. Who knows? Maybe he's a bonafide star in the making. I'll assume he's not by the way Saban addressed the QB situation when the seaon ended saying it's a position that must be addressed this year. I don't get how people feel that we don't have to get a QB this year either through free agency, trade or draft. It seems to me to be the most obvious need beyond debate. When the entire planet acknowledges we need a QB: Saban, the fans, the media, the players and personnell people, then I think its safe to assume we need a QB

OzziePhin
01-31-2006, 08:06 AM
I don't consider bringing in Gus a solution to our QB problem. As for Lemon, you may be right. Who knows? Maybe he's a bonafide star in the making. I'll assume he's not by the way Saban addressed the QB situation when the seaon ended saying it's a position that must be addressed this year. I don't get how people feel that we don't have to get a QB this year either through free agency, trade or draft. It seems to me to be the most obvious need beyond debate. When the entire planet acknowledges we need a QB: Saban, the fans, the media, the players and personnell people, then I think its safe to assume we need a QB

We have been trying to find a QB for the last decade it seems. I have had a look at the F/A QBs and no-one really stands out to me and in the draft we have possibly the top3 going to be taken before our pick. To trade for one seems to be out of the question as well it all gets back to what one has to pay. We screamed like hell when we gave up a second rounder for Feeley, imagine what the cost of a "name" QB would be. No-one is denying QB is a position of need, I just don't think it is the most pressing of our needs. I also would not be too unhappy going into battle with our current crop, there are a lot worse running an offence in the NFL. Then again I still don't see this team as it stands as a SB team next year anyway.