PDA

View Full Version : My Grandma's last gift

A Wing Pilot
01-30-2006, 04:46 PM
This will get to the dolphins stuff so just read on:

Unfortunately last week my grandmother (in-law) lost her fight with cancer. At the age of 82 she had a great life with happiness and tragedy. She lost her husband in a surprise heart attack, then her son was later in an accident that he became a human vegtable. Yet through it all she moved on seeing good in all. Now that she has passed, my father-in-law has watched his father, mother, and only sibling pass. What a horrible experience for him.

My Gram was wonderful, she bought us (my wife and I) all new appliances when we bought our house. She always appreciated the work we did. And when we gave her her first great grandchild, well we skyrocketed to favorite status. My family will miss her every day of our lives. Most of all my 3 year old son who said to her the night before she passed: GG (gee gee short for Great Grandma), its ok. The sun has gone down, its time to go to sleep. She never woke up.:boohoo:

Part of a jewish funeral includes that the men in the family fill the grave before we return home. If you have never experienced this, let me try to explain. The casket is lowered into the grave and the men are responsible for filling up the grave. If you've ever heard the sound of dirt falling and hitting the casket....well that is the most shell shocking sound I have ever heard in my life. It takes every bit of you to complette this task. Yet we had to fill the whole thing to ensure that she was honored as she should be and closure could be had.

You see here's where the dolphins come in. She knew how much I loved the phins, and well when we went to the funeral in the limo I noticed something strange. The limo had a dolphins License plate with a custom tag "QB 13". So on the way back from the funeral, I had to ask the driver of this limo about his plate. Apparently this is Dan Marino's limo, the one that he uses/companies send for local transport (airport, events, ect). Even after Gram had passed she found away to let me know that she would always be there and always watch out for me. True it is a a fluke, but to me it was comforting in this time of sorrow.

Go Fins, Gram I will never forget !!!

I just wanted to share with you that little moment in my life, Thanks in advance for all of your assistance, prayers, and condolences. Don't feel sorry for me, as she will always be with us, and always be remembered for her great legacy!!!!

In_Flames
01-30-2006, 04:48 PM
what an amazing grandmother...sorry for your loss man..:( I recently loss my grandfather to cancer as well...

finfan75
01-30-2006, 04:49 PM
Very cool man! Sorry to hear about your Grandmother. Take care.

SuperBankz
01-30-2006, 04:49 PM
im sorry to hear about your loss... she sounds like she was a wonderful woman... may her rest in peace

The Rev
01-30-2006, 04:59 PM
True it is a a fluke, but to me it was comforting in this time of sorrow.

It was no fluke. It was her. Stay strong my brother. I'm praying for you and your family.

eltos_lightfoot
01-30-2006, 05:00 PM
That is so sad....someday when I lose my grandmother....it not be a happy day. My thoughts and prayers are with ya!

PassRush
01-30-2006, 05:05 PM
I am sorry for your loss, but I am sure you dont want to hear that; your post carries a tone of celebrating her life rather than morning her passing. Your grandmother must have been and incredible person and I am sure she had a hand somehow in that limo

KyPhinfan13
01-30-2006, 05:05 PM
I'm currently working on a plan to make sure my "Mamm-ma" lives forever! It will be very hard on me when it's her time to pass, but Grandpa is waiting for her.

Cannonboy
01-30-2006, 05:08 PM
Sorry to hear about your grandmother, she seemed like a wonderful woman.

Slicendice
01-30-2006, 05:12 PM
i believe thats defiantly a sign from above....thats a pretty amazing story
sorry for your lost, may your grandmother rest peacefully.

go phins!

CanadaFinFan
01-30-2006, 05:22 PM
I am really sorry to hear about your loss. Our thoughts and prayers go out with you.

Mindwarp
01-30-2006, 05:29 PM
wow man my condolences for your loss. WTG GG. its awesome she made you smile on such a sad day.

sugarcane
01-30-2006, 05:33 PM
My deepest sympathy,may GG rest in peace.

twohype
01-30-2006, 05:35 PM
Sorry to hear about your Grandmother, I am sure that all da phinz fans prays are with you and your family

miamirick
01-30-2006, 05:52 PM
To deepest sympathies to you and your family...She is in a better place now.

God Bless...

PS...you gotta believe she had something to do with that limo....I know I do.

Roman529
01-30-2006, 05:58 PM
My grandmother on my dad's side passed away in Philadelphia last year at the age of 92. :( I did not spend as much time with her once I became an adult as I did when I was a kid but I will always remember her. You don't realize how special some family members are until they are no longer around, so always be sure to tell the people you love what they mean to you. She sounded like a great lady and that was a nice touch to have the #13 plate on the limo at the end.

tay0365
01-30-2006, 06:03 PM
Wow, sorry to hear of her passing, she sounds like an amazing woman, and seems to still be with you.

Predaphin
01-30-2006, 06:46 PM
Sorry to hear about your lost loved one.....

maybe riding in Marino's Limo may have eased the pain just a bit

dolfan72734me
01-30-2006, 07:55 PM
I am sorry for your loss, but I am sure you dont want to hear that; your post carries a tone of celebrating her life rather than morning her passing. Your grandmother must have been and incredible person and I am sure she had a hand somehow in that limo
My sentiments exactly. She sounds like the type that would want everyone to feel joy in remembering, rather than sorrow in loss.

fin1
01-30-2006, 07:58 PM
what a cool grandma you had. I believe when you think about her it is a religious experience. Its the memory dude and what a great memory you have.

Sundance Kid
01-30-2006, 08:13 PM
What a GREAT Read...all the best to you and Family in a tough time,
Thanks...

CrunchTime
01-30-2006, 08:32 PM
A heart rendering post.My sympathies go out to you and your family.She will live on in the memories of those who loved her.

My grandmother raised me as a child and she died the day after her 105 th birthday.She had all of her children and grandchildren around her.Talk about good timing.

In all of the pictures that were taken of her that day she appears as a fuzzy white image with a halo around her as though she was already leaving.

We took that as a good sign not as faulty ASA settings.

FinFan72
01-30-2006, 08:32 PM
sorry about your loss man, she sounded like a great lady.

Dolfan2788
01-30-2006, 08:35 PM
Thanks for sharing, I thought it was great.
It really hit home with what your 3 yr old son said to her before she went to sleep. I don't think I could have finished burying the casket either that must've taken a lot of strength.

Fin Fan in Cali
01-30-2006, 08:35 PM
Sorry to hear about the loss of your grandmother. She sounded like a very special person.

PhinBeck
01-30-2006, 08:40 PM
It is always tough to lose those close to you, cherish teh memories and she will live on through you. As long as you remember, she is never gone. God be with you and your family.

cnc66
01-30-2006, 08:50 PM
I loved my g grandma a bunch and she loved my son a bunch. He'd get all the great greats messed up and we would all laugh. Those were special times with so many generations present. It is special your daughter got to know her. Love um when they're little A Wing they grow up so fast. On "gate gammas" I was recently given a copy of an oral history from another of my g grandmas who's voice I had never heard. It was odd to hear such a southern accent from someone who grew up on Lake Worth. Be at peace A Wing, if we remember those who have gone on before us and occasionally say their names out loud then they really haven't left us.

BrazForPhins
01-30-2006, 08:52 PM
It's kind of hard to share these kind of things, thanks man

I'm sorry to hear about your loss, she really seemed great so I wish all the best for u and family.

dolfan87
01-30-2006, 09:02 PM
That was an awesome post, and I love the way you celebrated her in the midst of being sorrowful.

Getting Marino's limo was no accident. Keep your chin up bro.

dolphan north
01-30-2006, 09:17 PM
Nice post buddy. I'm glad you are looking at it in such a positive light. And that's a cool story about the limo too! The part about the little guy touches me too, because I have a 3 year old (in 2 weeks) who is very close to his "Nanny" on my wife's side. Luckily he has not had to see her pass yet, but your boy seems to have a good outlook on it too!

The future's best to all of your family!

EBMisfit
01-30-2006, 09:25 PM
Sorry, but I'm not good at this sort of stuff, but my condolences.

Firemedic18
01-30-2006, 09:30 PM
I lost my grandmother last April and today is her birthday. The first one that I have not spent with her. It's tough but time heals all.

Proshopgirl
01-30-2006, 10:40 PM
I have not talked to you in a while. What a great tribute. What a great way to remember her and a great way of making the day easier to deal with.
What a special lady.
You were truley blessed to have her in your life as I am sure she was blessed to have you and your family in hers.
Take care..
Leslie
:missmeth:

gators910
01-30-2006, 11:38 PM
sorry to hear about your grandmother,she sounded like a great lady.

Adam First
01-31-2006, 06:46 AM
sweet gift!

I'm so sorry about your grandmother. Hopefully you and yours family will rebound soon. :boohoo:

Miamian
01-31-2006, 08:44 AM
Your description of filling in the casket reminds me when I did the same thing for my grandmother. I had forgotten the sound, but now you reminded me. Every time the dirt hits, it sends a chill down your spine.

ז"לב

HelenaBucket
01-31-2006, 09:50 AM
Very touching. My condolences for your loss.

Oraclepz
01-31-2006, 11:32 AM
hey man.. i offer my condolences...i lost my gradma almost 5 years ago... but i also find that pretty cool..about the limo thing... maybe GEE GEE was trying to tell us something... grandmas are the best...

Sal Lisitano
01-31-2006, 04:55 PM
i'm sorry for your loss...thanks for sharing that story with us!!!

Go Fins!!!