PDA

View Full Version : Coretta Scott King - Rest in peace

Celtkin
01-31-2006, 08:12 AM
Dr. Martin Luther King's wife passed away a short time ago. She will finally be reunited with her husband. RIP Mrs King.

Buddwalk
01-31-2006, 08:18 AM
Rip

TerryTate
01-31-2006, 08:33 AM
RIP Coretta....

I must say Celtkin, I read your post and about 15 minutes later CNN broke with the story. Very nice news reporting good sir.

Buddwalk
01-31-2006, 08:36 AM
RIP Coretta....

I must say Celtkin, I read your post and about 15 minutes later CNN broke with the story. Very nice news reporting good sir.

Yeah the radio reported it a good 10-20 minutes after i read this, and so did yahoo

Good job Celtkin

Celtkin
01-31-2006, 08:39 AM
RIP Coretta....

I must say Celtkin, I read your post and about 15 minutes later CNN broke with the story. Very nice news reporting good sir. Thank you. It was announced on the Today show when Andrew Young called in to the show to let the world know about her passing. She was an amazing woman who kept Dr. King's dream alive and preached his message until the time of her death. She will be missed.

Celtkin
01-31-2006, 09:57 AM

dreday
01-31-2006, 10:27 AM
RIP.....She was here In Colorado making a speach last year.Bless her soul.

BAMAPHIN 22
01-31-2006, 10:55 AM
RIP Mrs. King.. I have really admired her courage and dignity for keeping her husbands legacy alive... Your will be truly missed...:(

Jt0323
01-31-2006, 03:30 PM
may she rest in peace

NaboCane
01-31-2006, 03:41 PM
:boohoo: RIP Mrs. King; thank you for your good work.

FinFan72
01-31-2006, 03:55 PM
RIP Mrs. King

K-train
01-31-2006, 05:25 PM
Rih Ms. Coretta Scott King.

It'll Happen11
02-10-2006, 05:40 PM
What did Coretta Scott King DO to make her death and funeral so important?

She was Dr. King's wife. Ok

I don't think thats enough to have 3 or 4 Presidents speak at her funeral and have her talked about on every single news station and radio station this whole week. Whats the big secret? I could be wrong, I don't know too much about her, but I think people feel obligated to act like its a huge deal.

Like I said, I don't know too much about her..so tell me..what did she give to this world?

Jt0323
02-10-2006, 05:42 PM
What did Coretta Scott King DO to make her death and funeral so important?

She was Dr. King's wife. Ok

I don't think thats enough to have 3 or 4 Presidents speak at her funeral and have her talked about on every single news station and radio station this whole week. Whats the big secret? I could be wrong, I don't know too much about her, but I think people feel obligated to act like its a huge deal.

Like I said, I don't know too much about her..so tell me..what did she give to this world?
http://www.achievement.org/autodoc/page/kin1bio-1

It'll Happen11
02-10-2006, 05:51 PM
I don't know...seems like she followed MLK around, wrote an autobiography, and participated in a couple of organizations. No doubt,a good person. But I dont feel she did much more than A LOT of other people including women. I think shes getting up-played because of the whole African American card.

HysterikiLL
02-10-2006, 07:48 PM
I don't know...seems like she followed MLK around, wrote an autobiography, and participated in a couple of organizations. No doubt,a good person. But I dont feel she did much more than A LOT of other people including women. I think shes getting up-played because of the whole African American card.

:shakeno:

dreday
02-10-2006, 08:52 PM
And what do you mean by African-American card??What exactly are you trying to say?

It'll Happen11
02-10-2006, 08:59 PM
I'm saying exactly what i said

dreday
02-10-2006, 09:01 PM
Martin Luther King was a revolutionary.Does that mean anything to you??.She was his wife and was civil rights activist and leader.There are no secrets.You need to do some research on your own and find out more about her.Very important in U.S history.

dreday
02-10-2006, 09:02 PM
I'm saying exactly what i said
What exactly to you is the African American card?She fought for the equality of all people.Clarify.

It'll Happen11
02-10-2006, 09:11 PM
Martin Luther King was a revolutionary.Does that mean anything to you??.She was his wife and was civil rights activist and leader.There are no secrets.You need to do some research on your own and find out more about her.Very important in U.S history.

He was a revolutionary, no doubt. She wasn't. She was a "civil rights activist"? What makes her so much more of an important "civil rights activist" than anyone else, besides the fact that she was MLK's wife?

dreday
02-10-2006, 09:15 PM
He was a revolutionary, no doubt. She wasn't. She was a "civil rights activist"? What makes her so much more of an important "civil rights activist" than anyone else, besides the fact that she was MLK's wife?
So what makes her any less important because she was his wife?If Bush's wife died I gaurantee it would be all over T.V.She shouldnt be mourned why??Im still waiting on this African American card thing.Make me understand.

It'll Happen11
02-10-2006, 09:25 PM
So what makes her any less important because she was his wife?If Bush's wife died I gaurantee it would be all over T.V.She shouldnt be mourned why??Im still waiting on this African American card thing.Make me understand.

"The african american card": Coretta Scott King's death HAS to be made such a big deal because she was black, and a lot of white people feel obligated to "show that they care" because god forbid, a black person should get any less respect than anybody else.

Now, the Mrs. Bush comment, I actually think the only reason she would get as much media attention if she were to die is because it would be considered a tradgedy since she is still fairly young and she is the current president's wife. Now, 15 years down the road, if she died....she wouldnt get nearly as much media attention as Mrs. King.

It'll Happen11
02-10-2006, 09:27 PM
Jimmy Carter must've really cared about Mrs. King if all he could do was bash Bush while he was there..but thats a whole another issue.

dreday
02-10-2006, 09:48 PM
"The african american card": Coretta Scott King's death HAS to be made such a big deal because she was black, and a lot of white people feel obligated to "show that they care" because god forbid, a black person should get any less respect than anybody else.

Now, the Mrs. Bush comment, I actually think the only reason she would get as much media attention if she were to die is because it would be considered a tradgedy since she is still fairly young and she is the current president's wife. Now, 15 years down the road, if she died....she wouldnt get nearly as much media attention as Mrs. King.
So why do white people have to feel "obligated" to show that they care about someobody that died black or white?You obviously have a pretty skewed idea on race.Nothing HAS to be made a big deal.It is a big deal.What does "current" have to do with anything when somebody dies?Do you remember the I Have a Dream speech??It was for white and black alike."God forbid" its any less important because it was done by a "black person".So if she were white it would have been ok to mourn?Here you need to read this:As founding President, Chair, and Chief Executive Officer of The Martin Luther King, Jr. Center for Nonviolent Social Change, she saw that tens of thousands of activists from all over the world were trained in the philosophy and practice of nonviolence. She has served as an advisor to freedom and democracy movements all over the world, and as a consultant to world leaders including President Corazon Aquino of the Philippines, President Kenneth Kaunda of Zambia, and President Nelson Mandela of South Africa. One of the world's most admired women, she remained an outspoken champion of justice and human dignity to the end of her days.

Jt0323
02-10-2006, 09:50 PM

i think a mod should cut split this thread and move some of it to the Political Forum...

dreday
02-10-2006, 10:18 PM
Jimmy Carter must've really cared about Mrs. King if all he could do was bash Bush while he was there..but thats a whole another issue.
My question to you is,is did you come in here looking for vindication or were you actually here to try and learn?

dreday
02-10-2006, 10:25 PM

i think a mod should cut split this thread and move some of it to the Political Forum...
Yeah.We obviously still have a long way to go on this issue.Amazing how ignorant some people still are.

It'll Happen11
02-10-2006, 10:25 PM
little of both

dreday
02-10-2006, 10:45 PM
little of both
So what youve learned so far has helped?

dreday
02-10-2006, 10:56 PM
little of both
You obviously wont find vindication here.My advice to you is to start learning and start learning fast.

HysterikiLL
02-11-2006, 12:49 AM

Mrs. Coretta Scott King was integral in MLK's success whilst he was coming to prominence as a cornerstone of social development during an era where the acceptance of a single individual as a leader and basis for moving people was a rarity. She had much more responsibility than just that of a 'wife to Dr. King'. It is a verily dry and pseudo-sensitive approach to believe otherwise.

Her 'importance' was due in large part to the body of relevance that equated to the eventual 'voice of the African American female' moreso as an individual whilst in the presence of a powerful man, rather than as an entity that bore little individuality and substantiability other than that of the working African American male who spoke congruently, but was forseen to be violent, diminutive and apprehensively incoherent in regards of 'making a point in middle America'.

I feel your general comments in this thread are somewhat 'backwards, giving little resonant fact as to why the sole reason she gained respectful attention on her death bed was because of the color of her skin. Do I even need to hinder your conception that this 'respectful attention' was due to the content of her character, or am I to believe that you are one who adopts a lateral view of conviction to those who are of a different color, creed or race than yourself, and that any deterrent opinion would be preconceived to abstain from accepting so?