PDA

View Full Version : Pay for Xbox Live? or see Advertisements?

mor911
01-31-2006, 06:11 PM
Just wanted to see what you guys thought. A premium online gaming service like Xbox live is crucial to any new console today.

Would you rather have something like Xbox Live and pay the $50 per year for it (the way it's done now)? Or have Microsoft pump it full of ads and make it free?

The ads being talked about includes:

interstitials: one full-screen, 20-seconds ad per two hours of cumulative use (not to be displayed in the middle of a game)
blade ads: The Xbox 360 interface could sport a new "blade" titled "special offers" that would feature gamer-relevant offers from advertisers
interface ads: banner advertisements throughout the Xbox 360 interface
leaderboard ads: Xbox Live leaderboards could display advertisements to either side of the leaderboard. Imagine: "Victoria's Secret proudly sponsors Dead or Alive 4 leaderboards"
in-game ads: Gamers tend to dislike the idea of in-game ads, but there are numerous non-play screens that gamers must stare at when they're waiting for a race, team battle, or fight to start. These spaces could be enlivened by full-motion video or flash advertisements.

UltraDol-Fan
01-31-2006, 06:15 PM
I would rather pay the $50, I think it keeps more little kids out.

SirDrums
01-31-2006, 07:34 PM
keeps more little kids out?

Thats all I run into.

Marino2Clayton
01-31-2006, 07:56 PM
Id pay.

mor911
01-31-2006, 07:59 PM
I'd rather pay the $50 also. While it won't keep all anoying people off, you have more room to bargain with when you call or email Microsoft support because someone just cheated in Halo2. I think it should remain the way it is now.

AquaInferno
01-31-2006, 08:48 PM
The one thing I liked about paying for Live was the fact that people were kinda stuck with their name, no making a new name so your Madden record can be 0-0 again. It does minimize the amount of kiddies on as well, won't totally eliminate, but it does help. Of course using a CC to identify and make names more "permanent" would be cool, I mean for those who want in for free. I like Live's way of doing the online thing, M$ does it really good actually.

houtz
02-01-2006, 11:14 PM
Madden 360 gets two thumbs to the ground. I think that's why I didn't bother purchasing a 360 yet.

Buddwalk
02-01-2006, 11:16 PM
I chose the 3rd one...honestly i dont play video games much anymore, so i could really care less :tongue:

PeaTearGriffin
02-02-2006, 01:11 AM
I picked the 3rd one because i think people should have a chioce but ads just don't bother me, maybe im just use to them, heck there are even 3 ads on this page right now