PDA

View Full Version : The wrong way to launch a boat!!

HansMojo
01-31-2006, 10:57 PM
I took my daughter to the beach today and got to see a guy stick his boat trailor in the water. It was funny, but I felt pretty bad for him.

http://www.finheaven.com/clear.gif

http://www.finheaven.com/images/imported/2006/02/boat22uh-1.jpg

HansMojo
01-31-2006, 11:02 PM
Shoot, couldn't get the third picture in the first post for some reason. Here it is. Notice the trailor is in the water.

HansMojo
01-31-2006, 11:04 PM
Shoot. I wanted to post a couple more pics but a friend just got here so I have to run. I'll be back later with a couple more.

GreenMonster
01-31-2006, 11:10 PM
So did he just leave the trailor there while he went out. I don't know anything about boats really, but I don't think you leave the trailor in the water at the loading ramp.. I could be wrong..

cnc66
01-31-2006, 11:11 PM
I worked on a survey crew for the South west Florida water managment district and we were up at Apopka with some Aquatic weed boys. The were our airboat chauffers for the week. We arrived at the boatramp only to find a pick up truck submerged with empty trailer attached. We launched and went out on the lake to the only boat in sight. We found two old black men, one of them said yep, that was his truck and he would worry about it when he got done fishing.

I think bringing a lawn chair and ice chest to the boat ramp to watch is great fun.

Majpain
02-01-2006, 12:45 AM
O man that sucks.That boat is ruined.

HysterikiLL
02-01-2006, 03:36 AM
You took photos? That's cold dude :lol:

HansMojo
02-01-2006, 04:44 AM
So did he just leave the trailor there while he went out. I don't know anything about boats really, but I don't think you leave the trailor in the water at the loading ramp.. I could be wrong..No, they got it out a little after getting the boat anchored. It's not a very busy ramp...only a dozen or so boats a day probably on a busy day, but they got it out pretty quick anyway.

HansMojo
02-01-2006, 04:45 AM
I worked on a survey crew for the South west Florida water managment district and we were up at Apopka with some Aquatic weed boys. The were our airboat chauffers for the week. We arrived at the boatramp only to find a pick up truck submerged with empty trailer attached. We launched and went out on the lake to the only boat in sight. We found two old black men, one of them said yep, that was his truck and he would worry about it when he got done fishing.

I think bringing a lawn chair and ice chest to the boat ramp to watch is great fun.:lol: Now that's a man that likes to fish!

HansMojo
02-01-2006, 04:46 AM
O man that sucks.That boat is ruined.Boat seemed fine...just floated off the trailer, but I hope he washed off the trailer right away.

HansMojo
02-01-2006, 04:52 AM
You took photos? That's cold dude :lol: :lol: Yeah, I was kinda far away from it and on top of a hill so I couldn't do much else. The first pic is actually just a lucky shot. I was taking a picture of my daughter (cropped her out for the board) and just hapened to get the boat in the shot. Then I saw the boat and trailor rolling backwards and the guy jumped on and rode it down into the water. I barely got the shot in time.

CharlestonPhan
02-01-2006, 04:25 PM
So did he just leave the trailor there while he went out. I don't know anything about boats really, but I don't think you leave the trailor in the water at the loading ramp.. I could be wrong..

you are exactly right GM... i am a boater and inshore fisherman, and as soon as i saw the pic of trailer disconnected from the truck i cringed... maybe it was his first time trailering the boat???

the thing about boating; you will see people do some of the dumbest things imaginable, and the boat landing is usually where they occur even more so than on the water. i have seen people ignore bouys and channel markers and hit sand bars at 40 mph, and more than once drop the boat off the back of the trailer at the landing because they didnt attach the winch to the boat. they drove the boat on the trailer and were in a hurry, and drove up the ramp while and the boat slid back off the trailer.

BTW, that is quite possibly the most georgeous boat landing ive ever seen. is it a public landing HansMojo???

Buddwalk
02-01-2006, 04:33 PM
bleh what a waste of a boat :shakeno:

UltraDol-Fan
02-01-2006, 05:03 PM
I took my daughter to the beach today and got to see a guy stick his boat trailor in the water. It was funny, but I felt pretty bad for him.

Okay, my take on this.

1) He is really new to this and doesn't have common sense

or

2) He can't back up a trailer, so he disconnected it to push out

HansMojo
02-01-2006, 05:53 PM
BTW, that is quite possibly the most georgeous boat landing ive ever seen. is it a public landing HansMojo???

Yeah, it's a public landing. It's not used much at all though because only small boats can be launched from it and around here small boats are only used inside the reef...most of the time anyway. Once you get past the outer reef it can get very deep very fast (thousands of feet deep instead of hundreds) and you can get massive swells and nightmare currents. But if you have a small boat it's a great place to launch since it's never busy. It's free. Parking, is even free.

Here's a couple pics to give you an idea how far out the reef is from this location. You can't even see the reef in the first pic which is just looking to the right of where I took the pics of the boat ramp. BTW, the large land mass you see to the left of flat island is part of Kaneohe Bay and is the location of the Marine Corp base (MCBH). You're looking at the Kailua side of it though.

http://www.finheaven.com/images/imported/2006/02/flatisland8hf-1.jpg

Edit: The other pic I had here won't show up now no matter what I do, so I changed it to this one. Anyway, there's a really nice beach on the island (on the left...the one on the right is a bird sanctuary) accessible by boat or kayaks. Lots of good boating inside the reef here even if you only have a dingy.

Ah, I found a pic that I'd taken from Lanikai beach of those islands where you can actually see some of the reef. Obviously my camera sucks compared to the pro's camera that took the above pic. :lol: :

Agent51
02-01-2006, 07:11 PM
Yeah, it's a public landing. It's not used much at all though because only small boats can be launched from it and around here small boats are only used inside the reef...most of the time anyway. Once you get past the outer reef it can get very deep very fast (thousands of feet deep instead of hundreds) and you can get massive swells and nightmare currents. But if you have a small boat it's a great place to launch since it's never busy. It's free. Parking, is even free.

Here's a couple pics to give you an idea how far out the reef is from this location. You can't even see the reef in the first pic which is just looking to the right of where I took the pics of the boat ramp. BTW, the large land mass you see to the left of flat island is part of Kaneohe Bay and is the location of the Marine Corp base (MCBH). You're looking at the Kailua side of it though.

Dude what beach is that? I live in Kaneohe and I can honestly say I don't think I've ever been to that beach. Although in my own defense all the beaches I go to are on the North Shore since I only live out here for the Winter months (October-April) for the surf. Usually when I go to a beach NOT to surf, just to BBQ or play football or chill I go to this little beach on the way to the North shore that I neamed "Mini Waimea". I have no clue what the real name of the beach is but its on that road to the North Shore (from Kaneohe) and it is a cresent-shaped beach with a bay just like Waimea. Its got really tall trees between the beach and the road too. There is the road, then the parking lot (which is just some gravel, lol) then there are the tall trees that almost look like it could be a campsite with the pine needle stuff on the ground, then it opens up onto the beach. Anway, that my favorite non-surfing beach, but where is that one with the boat launch? Whats it called?

HansMojo
02-01-2006, 07:33 PM
Dude what beach is that? I live in Kaneohe and I can honestly say I don't think I've ever been to that beach. Although in my own defense all the beaches I go to are on the North Shore since I only live out here for the Winter months (October-April) for the surf. Usually when I go to a beach NOT to surf, just to BBQ or play football or chill I go to this little beach on the way to the North shore that I neamed "Mini Waimea". I have no clue what the real name of the beach is but its on that road to the North Shore (from Kaneohe) and it is a cresent-shaped beach with a bay just like Waimea. Its got really tall trees between the beach and the road too. There is the road, then the parking lot (which is just some gravel, lol) then there are the tall trees that almost look like it could be a campsite with the pine needle stuff on the ground, then it opens up onto the beach. Anway, that my favorite non-surfing beach, but where is that one with the boat launch? Whats it called?
It's just the far end of Kailua Beach right before you get into Lanikai. Just keep driving past the main entrance to Kailua beach and it's right there before the stop sign. You should check it out man. It's a great beach for picnics, long walks and to just let the kids play and enjoy themselves. Plus, when it's windy it's fun to watch the kite surfers go lolo...which is a sport I'd love to get into if my back wasn't such a wreck. :boohoo: Anyway, if you've never been to Lanikai you should check that out too. That pro picture isn't far off from what it can look like when it's a little overcast and the sun is at the right angle. Absolutely stunning beach and only crowded on holidays. Some really nice snorkeling and flat like a lake when there's no wind. The day I took those pics there was 10 foot surf on the North Shore but perfectly flat there. Part of the reason I love the Island so much since you can find whatever conditions you are looking for somewhere (most of the time anyway).

I should also mention that if you've never been to Lanikai (down past the boat ramp after the stop sign...), you should know it's all residential, so you have to look hard for the beach access points. There are a few but they are hard to spot since they are just skinny sandy paths between houses...and parking is minimal there. But this is also why it's never crowed there. Just you and miles of beach most of the time. LOVE IT!

CharlestonPhan
02-01-2006, 08:59 PM
great pics and info Hans... thanks a bunch. i love the area i live in (Charleston SC from my screen name obviously), lots of boat landings, beach access (i live ten minutes from the beach), golf, hunting, fresh water fishing as well as salt, good climate, but it is not even comparable to those pics.

HM, Agent, how does anyone ever get anything accomplished there!? it would be so easy to just blow off work, school, whatever, and just go play... those pics make me want to go, like now... of course my 8 month pregnant wide wouldnt be up for it just yet, but soon... magnificent.

HansMojo
02-01-2006, 11:56 PM
great pics and info Hans... thanks a bunch. i love the area i live in (Charleston SC from my screen name obviously), lots of boat landings, beach access (i live ten minutes from the beach), golf, hunting, fresh water fishing as well as salt, good climate, but it is not even comparable to those pics.

HM, Agent, how does anyone ever get anything accomplished there!? it would be so easy to just blow off work, school, whatever, and just go play... those pics make me want to go, like now... of course my 8 month pregnant wide wouldnt be up for it just yet, but soon... magnificent.
:lol: Yeah, not much get's done around here.

Here's a pic that shows the golf course right in Lanikai...like a couple hundred yards from the beach. Notice you can see flat island on the right and the Marine Corp base that was in the pics above. There are tons of golf courses around here (I've read there are over 30 on Oahu alone) but about half of them are for military only. It's kinda ridiculous actually.

Here's that same golf course (well part of it) from ground level:

http://www.finheaven.com/images/imported/2006/02/golfcourse1ks-1.jpg

GreenMonster
02-02-2006, 12:26 AM
I so need to goto Hawaii those picks of the courses and beaches are amazing. I live in the city and miss the clean air and nature..

HansMojo
02-02-2006, 01:07 AM
I so need to goto Hawaii those picks of the courses and beaches are amazing. I live in the city and miss the clean air and nature..You should man. Here's two more pics that I took the same day. The first is just a little farther up the ridge that I took the pic over looking the golf course. You see the far end of Lanikai in this one. And the second is from the top of that ridge looking right over towards Waimanalo and shows the beach we take the kids camping at 5 or 6 times a year (back under the iron wood trees). It's free to camp there and has great facilities, but you have to reserve your spot early. Fun little waves there certain times a year too though nothing that would interest Agent51. :lol:

http://www.finheaven.com/images/imported/2006/02/hikeuptopillbox9zm-1.jpg

GreenMonster
02-02-2006, 01:15 AM
Those pics are amazing. I love the busy city life, 24hr everything, clubs, all that, but I rarely have ever seen sites like that other than in pictures and I have been to some cool spots, just never those tropical beach areas. Hawaii is at the top of list of places I would like to visit along with a bunch of places outside the USA. I have been everywhere on the East Coast, except Miami really.

HansMojo
02-02-2006, 01:23 AM
Those pics are amazing. I love the busy city life, 24hr everything, clubs, all that, but I rarely have ever seen sites like that other than in pictures and I have been to some cool spots, just never those tropical beach areas. Hawaii is at the top of list of places I would like to visit along with a bunch of places outside the USA. I have been everywhere on the East Coast, except Miami really.
Atlanta is a cool town. I've been there a couple times. You'd probably like Honolulu then more than my side of the island if you like busy city life. I have some cool pics of the city somewhere, but not really sure where...I'll see if I can find them. I really don't go much cause I hate traffic and with kids, night life to me mostly involves getting the kids to bed so that I can spend quality time with the wife. :lol: Lots of cool night spots just over the mountains though if you're in to that.

Nappy Roots
02-02-2006, 01:32 AM
nah you wanna hear a funny/insane way to load/launch a boat?

ok here it goes, one of my boys has a boat, its his dads. and his dad also has a Bronco that they used to pull the boat with. looked like this, cept not as nice, and bigger tires.

so we go out fishing, at about 9 AM, we didnt eat before we left. we also didnt take anything to eat or drink(not smart). also, i dont have a fishing lisence, neither does he. so of course while we are fishing the coast guard comes and gives us tickets. so that sucks.

at bout 5 o'clock, we decide we are starving, so we go to get off the water and get something to eat. He backs up the trailer into the water, puts it in park, gets out, goes and gets into the boat to drive it up on the trailer. Im standing on the trailer waiting to whind up the wynch. so he drives the boat up on the trailer, i click the hook, start to whind it up. . . . . . .all the sudden we hear a big pop, almost like gun shot. The truck starts rolling back into the water. i put my hand on it like i was gonna stop it or something, then i jump off the trailer and on to the boat ramp, then slippin and fallin on my *** sliding all the way into the water. My friend is yelling at me to jump in the truck, meanwhile, both back tires are under water, im in shock, and theres nothing i could do. 5 seconds later, pretty much the whole truck is under water, about 3 inches below the open windows, where all my **** is on the dash. now im deathly afraid of salt water, but i dive in the water, swin about 15 feet to the truck, pull myself in the truck, get all my ****, and swim back to the ramp. meanwhile, my friend is going crazy, like seriously insane, he has no clue what is going on. hes SOL. finally some beach ranger guy drives up and sees us, he then tries to pull the tuck out of the water with his 4x4 chevy pickup. cant get it out, he then calls his friend that drives a 8 wheel garbage truck with a winch. that guy ends up pulling it out like over an hour later, trucks ruined completely, i think they saved the tires and rims, but thats it.

it was extremely crazy at the time, but also somewhat funny and a good conversation peice. lets just say, im glad it didnt happen to me.

GreenMonster
02-02-2006, 01:32 AM
Atlanta is a cool town. I've been there a couple times. You'd probably like Honolulu then more than my side of the island if you like busy city life. I have some cool pics of the city somewhere, but not really sure where...I'll see if I can find them. I really don't go much cause I hate traffic and with kids, night life to me mostly involves getting the kids to bed so that I can spend quality time with the wife. :lol: Lots of cool night spots just over the mountains though if you're in to that.

I am into the mountains and all of that I just enjoy the city more to live/work in.. When on vacation I want to see some places like that, I wouldn't mind doing some kind of camping or something out there. Those mountains and islands look amazing. I have never visited any tropical paradise yet, but have been everywhere cold..:lol:

that guy ends up pulling it out like over an hour later, trucks ruined completely, i think they saved the tires and rims, but thats it.

it was extremely crazy at the time, but also somewhat funny and a good conversation peice. lets just say, im glad it didnt happen to me.

That truck has nothing on that Toyata in the earlier thread.. They pulled that thing from the ocean after 5 hours and it started up fine. This was before they beat it up with a wreaking ball, dropped a trailer on it, and dropped it 240ft with a imploding building. It started right up and they drove it back to the set. Amazing truck..

HansMojo
02-02-2006, 01:44 AM
nah you wanna hear a funny/insane way to load/launch a boat?

ok here it goes, one of my boys has a boat, its his dads. and his dad also has a Bronco that they used to pull the boat with. looked like this, cept not as nice, and bigger tires.

so we go out fishing, at about 9 AM, we didnt eat before we left. we also didnt take anything to eat or drink(not smart). also, i dont have a fishing lisence, neither does he. so of course while we are fishing the coast guard comes and gives us tickets. so that sucks.

at bout 5 o'clock, we decide we are starving, so we go to get off the water and get something to eat. He backs up the trailer into the water, puts it in park, gets out, goes and gets into the boat to drive it up on the trailer. Im standing on the trailer waiting to whind up the wynch. so he drives the boat up on the trailer, i click the hook, start to whind it up. . . . . . .all the sudden we hear a big pop, almost like gun shot. The truck starts rolling back into the water. i put my hand on it like i was gonna stop it or something, then i jump off the trailer and on to the boat ramp, then slippin and fallin on my *** sliding all the way into the water. My friend is yelling at me to jump in the truck, meanwhile, both back tires are under water, im in shock, and theres nothing i could do. 5 seconds later, pretty much the whole truck is under water, about 3 inches below the open windows, where all my **** is on the dash. now im deathly afraid of salt water, but i dive in the water, swin about 15 feet to the truck, pull myself in the truck, get all my ****, and swim back to the ramp. meanwhile, my friend is going crazy, like seriously insane, he has no clue what is going on. hes SOL. finally some beach ranger guy drives up and sees us, he then tries to pull the tuck out of the water with his 4x4 chevy pickup. cant get it out, he then calls his friend that drives a 8 wheel garbage truck with a winch. that guy ends up pulling it out like over an hour later, trucks ruined completely, i think they saved the tires and rims, but thats it.

:sidelol: Oh man. Sorry to hear that dude, but that is a great story. I hope he had good insurance!!!

Nappy Roots
02-02-2006, 01:47 AM
That truck has nothing on that Toyata in the earlier thread.. They pulled that thing from the ocean after 5 hours and it started up fine. This was before they beat it up with a wreaking ball, dropped a trailer on it, and dropped it 240ft with a imploding building. It started right up and they drove it back to the set. Amazing truck..

daaaaaaaayum! thats serious! i missed that thread. Thats why i bought a toyota, thangs run forever!

HansMojo
02-02-2006, 01:49 AM
I am into the mountains and all of that I just enjoy the city more to live/work in.. When on vacation I want to see some places like that, I wouldn't mind doing some kind of camping or something out there. Those mountains and islands look amazing. I have never visited any tropical paradise yet, but have been everywhere cold..:lol:

I found a couple pics of Honolulu to give you an idea. These are downtown around the harbor area. I was on top of the Aloha tower when I took the pics. This is a very small area of Honolulu though. The entire city stretches for miles:

Nappy Roots
02-02-2006, 01:56 AM
damn man, after this thread, i wanna move to hawaii

HansMojo
02-02-2006, 02:01 AM
damn man, after this thread, i wanna move to hawaii:lol: Come on over man. Nuff waves for everyone.

Agent51
02-02-2006, 07:23 PM
Part of the reason I love the Island so much since you can find whatever conditions you are looking for somewhere (most of the time anyway).

I should also mention that if you've never been to Lanikai (down past the boat ramp after the stop sign...), you should know it's all residential, so you have to look hard for the beach access points. There are a few but they are hard to spot since they are just skinny sandy paths between houses...and parking is minimal there. But this is also why it's never crowed there. Just you and miles of beach most of the time. LOVE IT!

Awesome, I'll definately check it out. I have my own little "secret" beach that I go to to think sometimes when I don't wanna drive to "Mini Waimea" lol. It's the same thing, you par in a heighborhood and there is a really skinny public path to the beach, it's always COMPLETELY empty unless you count the giant sea turtles that chill on the beach. I agree that a great thing about the island is that you can almost ALWAYS find what you want in terms of conditions. The North Shore can be 30 foot waves and somewhere else can be flat as glass. I also really like how it like DOWNPOURS like you wouldn't believe but then like 10 minutes later there isn't a cloud in the sky. I also love how you can ALWAYS find a beach that has no people on it. There will never be a time where you go and the beach is CROWDED, unless you go to Waikiki or something, but that should be expected. I grew up in Newport, RI and we had TWO beaches and in the summer they were so crowded you could barely walk on them, I love how you can sit on any given beach any day and there's a 95% chance you won't see another person.

I've got another question for ya. I've got some friends coming to visit in a month and they want to go snorkeling (they really wanna SCUBA but they aren't certified so I'm not taking em), so can you recomend any good places that are easily accessable? I am either always surfing, working, working out, or sleeping, lol, bartending at TWO clubs is kinda tiring since they are open til 4am here, but I haven't done much exploring of the Island. I mean, I've been living here for half the year for a few years now, and I know where a lot of the common places are and things like that, but as far as "secret" spots, or ones that aren't that crowded I've only found surfing ones. I'm taking them to the sandbar and that has some snorkeling around it, but do you know of any places that are like beach accessible that have your run-of-the-mill colored coral and allt he fish and stuff like that? You know, stuff people would EXPECT to see when snorkeling in hawai'i lol? The sandbar is OK for snorkeling, but the "coral" is just all that white-ish color and there are some of the brightliy colored fish, like the occasional "nemo" fish or some bright blue or yellow ones, but they are few and far between. Mostly out there I see eels that come out of the coral and ALWAYS scare the crap out of me or just some normal looking "silvery" fish. Maybe even a sea turtle or two if you swim out away from the reef a little. But I'm looking for somewhere that has all the bright colors and sites you wanna see when snorkeling and that I don't need a boat to get to ya know? like a beach where we can just walk into the water or maybe even jump off some rocks.

Well, nothing gets done if you don't make sure it does, lol. It's not liek living in other places where you are like "ok, gotta work, oh well" here it's like man, I'd MUCH rather be exploring the rainforest or waterfalls or beaches or diving etc etc. It's not TOO bad of a problem for me cuz I bartend at night, so I'm not missing much scenery, lol. The thing is with people out here they are SO laid back, sometimes TOO laid back. They are just like "eh, it'll get done when it gets done" and it never does, haha. I think growing up in RI in that enviroment helps me have structure and discipline out here because if not I'd just be on the beach all day. Also, for the most part, and I think Hans can agree, people are NICE out here. Always seems liek someone is willing to help out. I grew up in Newport RI which is full of rich, stuck-up people, especially in the summers when all the tourists are rich stuck up people, lol, so it was culture shock when I came out here. Even in California (where I live the other 6 months of the year) people are rude and stuck up, especially around LA cuz they are all "actors or actresses". IDK man, if you EVER get the chance to visit here you have to, it's amazing. Oahu is the more "touristy" island wheras the big island has more of the "naturey" stuff. Don't get me wrong, Oahu is beautiful and has breathtaking nature in itself, as you can see by Hans' pictures or if you just search images on google or something, but the big island has active volcanos and there is even snow there at the tops of the mountains, so you can literally go from skiing to snorkeling in a day there. Oahu does have Honolulu and Waikiki though, which are great tourist spots, and they are on the bottom right of the island then the rest is pretty much all nature stuff, the mountains and forest in the middle of the island and pearl harbor to the left (on a map) the north shore on the top left and tons of beaches/beautiful places in between. It also has the Polynesian (spelling? lol) cultural center which is a must visit, great experience and there is an aweosme show with traditional dancers from all of the Polynesian island, plus the place is huge and segmented into the different Polynesian islands so you visit each section and learn about that particular cultures ways of life, its GREAT Hawai'ian history.

Agent51
02-02-2006, 07:36 PM

The reason I like honolulu/waikiki is because you get the city feel, but not liek the suffocationg feel, lol. I guess you like what I describe as "suffocating" but for me if there are TOO many buildings/people/traffic/noise etc etc I just wanna escape. I like to visit places like New York City and stuff, but visiting means I have the option to get away, lol, I don't think I could ever live there, ESPECIALLY because I could never live away from the beach (I know NY has beaches, lol, I was just using the city as an example). Where I live it's about a half an hour drive from Honolulu and Waikiki so it's not too bad if I wanna drive in for a night out or whatever, and I make it twice a day almost every day anyway since I work there, but it's still far eoug for me to be comfortable. Where I live has houses and neighborhoods and shopping centers and a mall and stuff, but its not overly crowded like a city, you still have a sense of "personal" space.

I have been a bunch of places outside the US (surf trips so you know they are some exotic places, lol) and I must say that there is something about Hawai'i that just feels right to me. It's the perfect mix of tropical paradise and modern living. You can drive 30 minutes one way and been in a bustling city or drive 30 minutes another way and see nothing but pinapple fields and empty beaches or go 30 minutes inward (away from the coast) and be in the middle of a rainforest, its great, its got some of everything.

Agent51
02-02-2006, 07:53 PM
:lol: Come on over man. Nuff waves for everyone.

HEY HEY HEY, wait a second, tell him to stay on the South Shore, the North Shore is way too crowded this time of year as it is :lol: , just kiddin man, I HIGHLY recommend a visit to anyone. I'm lookin through my pics tryin to find some of the Canal in Honolulu, I can't remember the damn name and it's pissin me off, lol, and I KNOW I have pics of it I just can't find em. Anyway, there is this canal that runs through the city and it looks really nice, there are row teams that practice there and there are grassy banks on the side of it. At night it looks really cool cuz there are tall palms then the lights reflect off the water, it's really cool.

Agent51
02-02-2006, 08:07 PM
Eh, dan't find any ones of the canal right now, they're prolly on my other computer, but here's a few more of the city (not my own pics)

Honolulu Day:

Honolulu Dusk:
http://www.finheaven.com/images/imported/2006/02/helicopteroahu4-1.jpg

Honolulu Night:

The cool thing about the city at night is when you are flying out the way the city and some streets/neighborhoods are aligned it almost looks like the lights of streets/buildings are lava flows. IDK If Hans has ever flown in our out at night, but if he has he prolly knows what I mean. There is the big dark shape of the mountains then you see all the lights near the coast and they thin out into lines when going higher up the mountains, so it looks like lava flows, its really cool looking.

*EDIT* crap, the old site I hosted pics on is down, whats another good free image hosting site, I found some good pics to post?

HansMojo
02-03-2006, 04:40 AM
I've got another question for ya. I've got some friends coming to visit in a month and they want to go snorkeling (they really wanna SCUBA but they aren't certified so I'm not taking em), so can you recomend any good places that are easily accessable? As you probably already know, Oahu kinda sucks for easy access diving/snorkeling. You're best bet is Haunama Bay. Just go early to avoid the crowds, but that's probably the easiest access place where they'll see the most things. Lanikai is descent too, but if you look at the middle pic in post #15, you can see how spread out the reef is. Enter at the wrong spot and you're over sand for a while. Electric beach is fun, but a long swim for the good stuff and it's better for SCUBA anyway. There's actually some really nice stuff at the sand bar, but it would be impossible for me to tell you where since the place is so big. Are they going to Big Island at all? Much better reef and lots of easy access spots there. Anyway, I'll ask a buddy of mine that does a lot of shore dives and see if he has any other ideas.

HansMojo
02-03-2006, 04:44 AM
HEY HEY HEY, wait a second, tell him to stay on the South Shore, the North Shore is way too crowded this time of year as it is :lol: , just kiddin man, I HIGHLY recommend a visit to anyone. I'm lookin through my pics tryin to find some of the Canal in Honolulu, I can't remember the damn name and it's pissin me off, lol, and I KNOW I have pics of it I just can't find em. Anyway, there is this canal that runs through the city and it looks really nice, there are row teams that practice there and there are grassy banks on the side of it. At night it looks really cool cuz there are tall palms then the lights reflect off the water, it's really cool.You're probably thinking of the Ala Wai canal.

And btw, nice pics. I like that one of Waikiki from the helicoptor that's looking down on the Royal Hawaiian hotel. Some day I gotta stay in the Pink Lady man. I love that place.

Agent51
02-03-2006, 04:08 PM
As you probably already know, Oahu kinda sucks for easy access diving/snorkeling. You're best bet is Haunama Bay. Just go early to avoid the crowds, but that's probably the easiest access place where they'll see the most things. Lanikai is descent too, but if you look at the middle pic in post #15, you can see how spread out the reef is. Enter at the wrong spot and you're over sand for a while. Electric beach is fun, but a long swim for the good stuff and it's better for SCUBA anyway. There's actually some really nice stuff at the sand bar, but it would be impossible for me to tell you where since the place is so big. Are they going to Big Island at all? Much better reef and lots of easy access spots there. Anyway, I'll ask a buddy of mine that does a lot of shore dives and see if he has any other ideas.

Thanks, I'll look into those, and keep me posted if your buddy lets ya know anything. They aren't going to the big island, or planning on it, although I suppose I could take them over there. Like I said they wanna go SCUBA diving but I won't take them because they aren't certified and that is entirely too dangerous. I know a BUNCH of good SCUBA spots, there is a cool shipwreck right near the sandbar (there are prolly a bunch, lol, but I've only been to one) where it seems like TONS of sea turtles play. The big island has some great spots for SCUBA too, and I've heard the snorkeling is great so I may have to take em over for a day or two. Haunama is where I was going to take them, plus the sandbar. I might check Lanikai too. My friends dad is some high ranking counter intelligence guy for the Pacific Fleet plus he is an instructor for the Navy dive school and does cycles of dive training for BUDs (the Navy SEAL dive training) and he dives like EVERY DAY, haha. UNFORTUNATELY he is gone for like NINE MONTHS, right now he's on some crazy special forces mission so we can't contact him to ask where good spots are, lol. Anyway, thanks for the info and lemme know if you come up with any other ideas, I'd appreciate it.

And yea that was the name, I knew it began with an A and it was driving me nuts but I was just too lazy too search for it, haha.

CharlestonPhan
02-03-2006, 04:52 PM

you really should work for the convention and tourism board there man... :D youve got people lining up to get on flights to Hawaii... incredible.