PDA

View Full Version : Why The Mor Hates Gamestop and EB Games

mor911
02-02-2006, 05:40 PM
The board is slow, and if I read one more Jay Cuttler, Ricky Williams, or Terrell Owens thread... The Mor will puke.

So, I've decided to express my discontent with Gamestop and EB Games... This little piece is not limited to these game stores either. Any game store that does this (what I'm about to explain) should recheck their business practices.

This rant was fueled by an experience The Mor's friend encountered when trying to get an Xbox 360:

Today: The Mor walks into EB Games. Sees flashy 360 gear all over the place. The Mor provokes the whole thing by asking the sales guy, "When's the PS3 come out?" He looks at the Mor and begins to talk about how awesome it will be. Playing stupid (not playing too hard :lol: ), The Mor listens very attentively. He then says that I can pre-order the PS3. I say, "Sweet, how much?" He then explains to me that the price hasn't been released yet, but if I put down something, it'll guarantee I get one at launch. So I ask him when is launch... And he doesn't know that either... Then leans in close (as if he's giving me insider information) and says, "It's probly gonna come out in October man... SOny just doesn't want to tell everyone yet." So I proceed to ask how much do I need to put down to guarantee I get one. He explains that they'll take anything, but the more the better. He's says $400 should about cover the system for me. I decide to go deeper by asking again... "So if I give you guys $400 right now, I'll get a PS3 at launch guarenteed?" He answers yes.

July 2005: I don't think it's a secret that the only reason (at this point in time) the 360 is even in The Mor's vocabulary is because of Oblivion. This was the same thing for the Mor's buddy. So he went to EB games (just like I did today) to inquire about "pre-ordering" and Xbox 360. He paid for the console in full. He paid a store $400 freaking dollars for a guarantee. Done. He's happy, at launch... He's getting a 360 right?

360 Launch Day: As weird as this is, EB Games "pre-ordered" 124 Xbox 360s. Nice. Really nice.... Especially when they only received 17 at launch. My friend was told that he was number 54 in line, and it can be March 2006 before he sees his 360. He was understandably pissed.

Now people will easily say, "It's Microsofts fault for not shipping enough units." Bullcrap! EB and Gamestop take pre-orders (more like back orders) before they know the price, date, or anything besides the name of a new console. It's complete crap. My friend paid them $400 for a guarantee that they didn't meet. Bull.

I suggested he at least speak to a lawyer. They're selling a lie. They get $400 and on launch day you don't get squat. I don't know if they have they're "pre-order" policy is posted anywhere, but it's bull. If anything, to give the retailers hell and make them think twice about doing crap like this. It will happen again for the PS3. They should wait until companies release the actually release details on cost and quantity of units before they go taking hundreds of dollars from people making their stocks go up.

/rant

Marino2Clayton
02-02-2006, 06:09 PM
Is the Mor planning on getting a PS3?

Where before I had both a PS2 and an XBOX, this time around I'm just going to stick with only my 360.

mor911
02-02-2006, 06:10 PM
I will be purchasing a PS3... Depending on the price, I may not buy it at launch.

Bruzer
02-02-2006, 06:39 PM
I will purchase ps3 about a year after launch to save my problems of fighting for one and wait to see if there is a recall. I wont get 360... ps3 and revolution all the way.

Timmy54
02-02-2006, 06:46 PM
i hate them just cause they jack up prices on stuff!!! they get a kid in with a game, give him 5 bucks for it and sell it for $40.

SirDrums
02-02-2006, 07:07 PM
Yeah, those places make a killing off of selling used games. Sometimes I see used games for only $5 below what you pay for a new one. Crazy.

I usually buy my games at best buy. I have a EB not even 3 miles from my house but sometimes will drive 15 just so I don't feel like im getting ripped off.

Back when Halo2 was coming out I preordered a 'normal' version of the game (not the collectors edition). I was told that I should go ahead and buy the collectors edition then bc when the game launches there would be no collector editions available. Launch day comes and I walk up to the counter and ask the guy to upgrade my version to a collectors version. No problem.

AquaInferno
02-02-2006, 08:03 PM
Damn Mor you're right that is ****ed up! Damn EB... I'm gonna call my local EB tonight and ask them how many people have "preordered" a PS3.. Damn I was planning on getting one @ launch now I don't know if I will after all..
I thought preorders started May 2nd according to Agent. He did say @ Bestbuy tho.

UltraDol-Fan
02-03-2006, 10:32 AM
same thing happened to my buddy at work, paid down $$$ for a guarenteed 360 at launch. EB told him he would have one. Ends up they took a bajillion preorders and he was something like number 22, and the only got like 6. I told him if it was me I would go in there and start trashing the place. A guarentee is a guarentee, there has to be a consequence, otherwise people can gurentee anything. It still pisses me off thinking about it and it didn't even happen to me :fire:

mor911
02-03-2006, 10:58 AM
same thing happened to my buddy at work, paid down $$$ for a guarenteed 360 at launch. EB told him he would have one. Ends up they took a bajillion preorders and he was something like number 22, and the only got like 6. I told him if it was me I would go in there and start trashing the place. A guarentee is a guarentee, there has to be a consequence, otherwise people can gurentee anything. It still pisses me off thinking about it and it didn't even happen to me :fire:
They will keep doing it too. They don't care. They're having their stupid sales guys sell pre-order guarantees to people and they don't even know how many unit's they'll receive. It's bull. Then when you speak to EB ro Gamestop, they're quick to blame it on Microsoft (or whom ever) saying they didn't ship enough units.

Let's boycott 'em.

UltraDol-Fan
02-03-2006, 11:17 AM
Let's boycott 'em.

Okay, starting now.

I had to buy Guitar Hero there the other day since Best Buy didn't have it. :boohoo:

Majpain
02-03-2006, 02:46 PM
I ordered HL2 last week from a person that lived in Miami.7 days later I email him and he says he lives in Costa Rica.

Agent51
02-03-2006, 03:26 PM
Damn Mor you're right that is ****ed up! Damn EB... I'm gonna call my local EB tonight and ask them how many people have "preordered" a PS3.. Damn I was planning on getting one @ launch now I don't know if I will after all..
I thought preorders started May 2nd according to Agent. He did say @ Bestbuy tho.

No no no, lol, I said the guy at EB told me they start in May, but I didn't know if that was everywhere or JUST EB, and that I was GETTING mine from Best Buy because I have the $100 off from my slim PS2 promotion. Not sure when Best Buy starts their presale.

And I agree Mor, it's ridiculous. ALL stores like that are. They buy used games and you get like $5 for a perfectly fine game and they turn around and sell it for like $5 less than the brand new price. I also agree that they shouldn't do any presales AT LEAST until they know the exact release date and price, but I also think that the company, be is MS or Sony, should at LEAST give out an ESTIMATE of what they expect to have, and stores should regulate the presales by that. It's one thing to have "first come first serve" if they will be getting shipments every week, so say 50 people presale a system but only 25 come the first week and 25 come the next week, all the people get theirs in a timely manner. To presale something and have people waiting MONTHS for it basically defeats the purpose of a presale. I also heard stories of people pre-ordering the premium 360 package only to be told they have to either buy the standard pack or LOSE their spot on the list, that is just completely ridiculous. As the Mor stated, a presale is basically a contract GARUNTEEING you a product, it's bad enough to not have enough to fill the quota (I don't care if its the company's fault or the stores) nevermind FORCING someone to buy something OTHER than what they paid for.

Agent51
02-03-2006, 03:28 PM
Okay, starting now.

I had to buy Guitar Hero there the other day since Best Buy didn't have it. :boohoo:

Guitar Hero is GOD, lol. That game is AMAZINGLY fun and addictive, especially for a guitar player like myself. BTW, have fun with Bark At The Moon on Extreme difficulty, it's harder to play in that game than on real guitar, haha.

unifiedtheory
02-04-2006, 08:04 PM
They will keep doing it too. They don't care. They're having their stupid sales guys sell pre-order guarantees to people and they don't even know how many unit's they'll receive. It's bull. Then when you speak to EB ro Gamestop, they're quick to blame it on Microsoft (or whom ever) saying they didn't ship enough units.

Let's boycott 'em.
I have for years. Ever since I went into the Staples by my house a few years ago and saw a game I had bought 30 minutes earlier at EB for $10.00 cheaper.

Bought it and then went back to EB WITH my Staples bag in hand. Dropped the EB bag on the counter and told the moron behind the counter I want my money back. "Why are youy returning it?" the ***** says.

I take the game out of the Staples bag and say "Because I found it for $10.00 cheaper".

He then takes out all this crap paper work for me to fill out in order to get my money back. I proceeeded to ask for the manager and told the manager that there was no way in hell I was gonna spend 10 damn minutes filling out forms to return a game I bought 30 minutes ago.

The manager gives me the "it's company policy" line of crap. I took the paperwork, filled it all out "Jon Doe, 123 Main Street, Anywhere Canada", signed it "EB sucks" got my money and have not been back for over 2 years.

I get my games at A & B Sound (A Vancouver music/games/audio video store...cheapest CD prices in the Western world), Staples or Future Shop...I won't step foot in EB.

FullmetalFin
02-05-2006, 06:57 AM
All you guys are right. I used to be a store manager for an eb games and I felt it was the worst year of my working life. :fire:
The worst was when the little kids would come in with like 20 games and all they would get was like $6 bucks. I would tell the kids to just hold on to the games or try to sell them to their friends or ebay them even. I worked during the release of the PSP (what a disaster that was) and it was close to the same B.S. Get all the preorders you can and then we'll see what happens.

The DM was telling us that if someone had it on hold with only $20 bucks forget them and sell it whoever could pay it all at the moment. I said forget it and went by my reserve list and got written up for it, but at least I was able to sleep that night with no worries. I eventually left that job due to a health issue which laid me up for close to 3 months and out of work for 6 months,as well as other factors such as employees stealing and getting no help from my DM and getting all the blame.

Sorry for the rant guys and gals but when I see see people say stuff like this it just makes me really upset and I try to steer people away from these stores for their own good.

mor911
02-05-2006, 10:24 AM
All you guys are right. I used to be a store manager for an eb games and I felt it was the worst year of my working life. :fire:
The worst was when the little kids would come in with like 20 games and all they would get was like $6 bucks. I would tell the kids to just hold on to the games or try to sell them to their friends or ebay them even. I worked during the release of the PSP (what a disaster that was) and it was close to the same B.S. Get all the preorders you can and then we'll see what happens.

The DM was telling us that if someone had it on hold with only $20 bucks forget them and sell it whoever could pay it all at the moment. I said forget it and went by my reserve list and got written up for it, but at least I was able to sleep that night with no worries. I eventually left that job due to a health issue which laid me up for close to 3 months and out of work for 6 months,as well as other factors such as employees stealing and getting no help from my DM and getting all the blame.

Sorry for the rant guys and gals but when I see see people say stuff like this it just makes me really upset and I try to steer people away from these stores for their own good.
You're a good man :cooldude:

XxFiN FaNxX
02-05-2006, 06:40 PM
The board is slow, and if I read one more Jay Cuttler, Ricky Williams, or Terrell Owens thread... The Mor will puke.

So, I've decided to express my discontent with Gamestop and EB Games... This little piece is not limited to these game stores either. Any game store that does this (what I'm about to explain) should recheck their business practices.

This rant was fueled by an experience The Mor's friend encountered when trying to get an Xbox 360:

Today: The Mor walks into EB Games. Sees flashy 360 gear all over the place. The Mor provokes the whole thing by asking the sales guy, "When's the PS3 come out?" He looks at the Mor and begins to talk about how awesome it will be. Playing stupid (not playing too hard :lol: ), The Mor listens very attentively. He then says that I can pre-order the PS3. I say, "Sweet, how much?" He then explains to me that the price hasn't been released yet, but if I put down something, it'll guarantee I get one at launch. So I ask him when is launch... And he doesn't know that either... Then leans in close (as if he's giving me insider information) and says, "It's probly gonna come out in October man... SOny just doesn't want to tell everyone yet." So I proceed to ask how much do I need to put down to guarantee I get one. He explains that they'll take anything, but the more the better. He's says $400 should about cover the system for me. I decide to go deeper by asking again... "So if I give you guys $400 right now, I'll get a PS3 at launch guarenteed?" He answers yes.

July 2005: I don't think it's a secret that the only reason (at this point in time) the 360 is even in The Mor's vocabulary is because of Oblivion. This was the same thing for the Mor's buddy. So he went to EB games (just like I did today) to inquire about "pre-ordering" and Xbox 360. He paid for the console in full. He paid a store $400 freaking dollars for a guarantee. Done. He's happy, at launch... He's getting a 360 right?

360 Launch Day: As weird as this is, EB Games "pre-ordered" 124 Xbox 360s. Nice. Really nice.... Especially when they only received 17 at launch. My friend was told that he was number 54 in line, and it can be March 2006 before he sees his 360. He was understandably pissed.

Now people will easily say, "It's Microsofts fault for not shipping enough units." Bullcrap! EB and Gamestop take pre-orders (more like back orders) before they know the price, date, or anything besides the name of a new console. It's complete crap. My friend paid them $400 for a guarantee that they didn't meet. Bull.

I suggested he at least speak to a lawyer. They're selling a lie. They get $400 and on launch day you don't get squat. I don't know if they have they're "pre-order" policy is posted anywhere, but it's bull. If anything, to give the retailers hell and make them think twice about doing crap like this. It will happen again for the PS3. They should wait until companies release the actually release details on cost and quantity of units before they go taking hundreds of dollars from people making their stocks go up.

/rant

I too was faced with the same problem as ur friend...however i was lucky enough to pull my money off in time to take it to wal mart and only after being shunned from them, heading next door to CompUSA and waiting 15 hours in front of it for one

JPhinfan86
03-06-2006, 06:53 AM
The Mor = Stand up Fella with that thread title. With the merger of our top competitors we've managed to consolidate the nations number two and three retailers. :lol: Rhino rocks....so rock on. :rocker:

Mike13
03-06-2006, 11:29 PM
I will purchase ps3 about a year after launch to save my problems of fighting for one and wait to see if there is a recall. I wont get 360... ps3 and revolution all the way.

Same here bro. But I won't wait a year afer the PS3 comes out, I will wait half a year.

wazzy
03-06-2006, 11:50 PM
I have not bought a game from EB in 2 years because there store is pure BS and have caused many problems for me! I used to bring them business at least 1nce every few weeks now i spit on that organization!

JPhinfan86
03-07-2006, 05:03 AM
OOOOH...holy crap. Thats amazing to hear guys. People kept coming into our store during the pre-launch period mad as hell that we wouldn't pre-book. They constantly told us of how Software Etc. (EB Games Gamestop) was pre-booking. We kept telling them that Software was pre-booking without knowing what they'd recieve.....this is the first i've heard of that backfiring on them. They lept before they looked and I didn't see anything good coming of it. Was that a common experience among you guys? At Rhino we had 7 tickets to hand out before we opened our doors. The first 7 recieved a paper ticket...when we opened the doors those with tickets were able to purchase an XBOX 360...that was the only fair way to work it. :lol:

JPhinfan86
03-07-2006, 05:19 AM

Let's boycott 'em.

It would be one thing of Microsoft told us we (retailers) were going to FOR SURE get "X" amount of units at launch (whatever number matches the number of pre-books EB took pre-launch). We were all told from square one that we'd be pressed caused by demand and no official number of units in was given until about 3 days before we got the freakin' things. Optimistic at Rhino was 5 360's....hence we decided not to allow a pre-book option unsure of what we'd recieve. First come first serve was the only way to work it. He//....since the original 7 at launch we've only gotten TWO in since. One premium a week after launch and a core set about 4 days ago (March 3, 2006). Crazy stuff.

SYSTEM OF A DOWN ROCKS!!! :rocker:

UltraDol-Fan
03-07-2006, 10:30 AM
I must confess I had a moment of weekness yesterday. I purchases an XBox 360 harddrive from Gamestop :boohoo: Threre was nothing else I could do, I had to buy a core system from Circuit City and no one else had a hard drive cause of all these clowns buying them up and selling em on eBay :tantrum:
But it was acutally a good experience, on their website it lists availability of products at each store, and I called and the guy held it for me all day until I got off work and could pick it up.