PDA

View Full Version : Knicks trade Davis and his crackpot wife for Jalen Rose and 1st rounder

HysterikiLL
02-03-2006, 05:40 PM
Is it just me, or did the Knicks get a steal here? Davis is a 37 year old averaging 5 points per game. Rose IMO is a much better player, yet the Knicks get a 1st round pick as well? The Knicks will probably have two top five picks in the draft....Imagine if they end up with Redick and Morrison :eek:

Prime
02-03-2006, 06:21 PM
The Knicks made a HUGE steal. Isiah Thomas actually made a great trade for once.

Ferretsquig
02-03-2006, 06:27 PM
Typical Isiah deal, trade an expiring deal for a longer one. Neither player will get any playing time and I assume the pick is lottery protected. The Raptors had to do this so they can sign someone to a max deal next year. This is the offseason where they have to do something to convince Bosh to stay.

Prime
02-03-2006, 06:38 PM
Typical Isiah deal, trade an expiring deal for a longer one. Neither player will get any playing time and I assume the pick is lottery protected. The Raptors had to do this so they can sign someone to a max deal next year. This is the offseason where they have to do something to convince Bosh to stay.

What makes this thread good for the Knicks is the draft pick. Now the Knicks will have two lotto picks and if they really want the top guy, then they can just trade them. It's more about the future then present I think.

Pink_Dove
02-03-2006, 06:43 PM
How much money will Isiah have tied up next year in old, declining players ? Doesn't he realize that it doesn't matter that Jalen Rose is a superior player than AD because both teams aren't going anywhere this year or next.
They need to build for the future, trading for a 34 year old SG making 16.9 M a season will not benefit the Knicks, it's just less cap room to play with. To his credit, he did get a 1st rounder, although it's Denver's pick so far from a lottery pick.

As for the Raps, this is clearly a cost cutting move that will help the Raps resign Mike James and get some help for Bosh down the middle this offseason.

Ferretsquig
02-03-2006, 07:07 PM
Now the Knicks will have two lotto picks and if they really want the top guy, then they can just trade them. It's more about the future then present I think.

Keep dreaming Knicks fans. Hope is about all you have going for you.

Prime
02-03-2006, 07:30 PM
Keep dreaming Knicks fans. Hope is about all you have going for you.

Can you not see? It clearly shows in my sig that I'm a Rockets fan, not a Knicks fan. I could careless about the Knicks, but I like that deal.

MikeO
02-04-2006, 01:19 AM
Is it just me, or did the Knicks get a steal here? Davis is a 37 year old averaging 5 points per game. Rose IMO is a much better player, yet the Knicks get a 1st round pick as well? The Knicks will probably have two top five picks in the draft....Imagine if they end up with Redick and Morrison :eek:

Knicks traded their pick this year (which might be #1) to Chicago.

Normally Isiah would get blasted for that, but this is a "weak" Draft coming up so no loss really. Even if it ends up being a Top 5 pick.

This pick the Knicks acquired is the ONLY 1st round pick they have for this upcoming draft. And it might be lottery protected.

MikeO
02-04-2006, 01:31 AM

Actually Davis is an expeiring contract. And Rose will be expiring NEXT year. So Isiah only gains a year. Plus, next year Rose with an expiring contract will have trade value to a contender!!!

GreenMonster
02-04-2006, 01:57 AM
Jalen Rose will not have any trade value to a contender next year. He has dropped off the edge this year and he won't get better playing for the Knicks and getting older. Some team may take him just to free some cap room but Rose is done being a valueable bench option, he can't shoot or play D..

wazzy
02-04-2006, 02:06 AM
Pros:
Rose is done and is expected to make 19 million next year!
Rose is making 17 million this year
New York is covering 3 Million of Davis 10 million contract
Weak draft this year and Toronto is giving Denvers pick
Antonio Davis contract is up this year so we will have money to resign(Bosh, James)

Cons:
Davis might not want to play for us even though he had his best years here
We might have to buy him out or let him sit out the season
We lost a veteran that was familiar with our younger team might slow down developement of younger players
WE lost a first round pick even though the draft is weak according to people, analyst and sources

djfresh47
02-04-2006, 03:34 AM
Toronto has been looking to dump Rose's salary. It's a cost cutting move for the Raptors, who need alot of help. As much as the Vilanueva pick was criticized on draft day, I think Bosh and him are two players that Toronto can try to build around.

finfansince72
02-04-2006, 05:06 AM
Knicks traded their pick this year (which might be #1) to Chicago.

Normally Isiah would get blasted for that, but this is a "weak" Draft coming up so no loss really. Even if it ends up being a Top 5 pick.

This pick the Knicks acquired is the ONLY 1st round pick they have for this upcoming draft. And it might be lottery protected.

Yea its no big deal to give up a top 5 pick, especially if youre a talent deprived/salary heavy bottom feeder team like NY:rolleyes2 . I mean Im sure there arent 5 good players in the next draft. Didn't Isiah even lottery protect his 1st rounder? Every other GM does this...

dob72
02-04-2006, 05:19 AM
nope the pick is from denver and will prolly be in the 20

dob72
02-04-2006, 05:20 AM
Yea its no big deal to give up a top 5 pick, especially if youre a talent deprived/salary heavy bottom feeder team like NY:rolleyes2 . I mean Im sure there arent 5 good players in the next draft. Didn't Isiah even lottery protect his 1st rounder? Every other GM does this...
they gave up next years to which might be the draft oden comes out

Ferretsquig
02-04-2006, 12:04 PM
Actually Davis is an expeiring contract. And Rose will be expiring NEXT year. So Isiah only gains a year. Plus, next year Rose with an expiring contract will have trade value to a contender!!!

Huh? Why would a contender want to trade for an expiring contract? Rose had no trade value this year and will have less next year since the odds are he wont make it on the court for more than 10 mpg. The only way he will be traded is for a lousy player with a longer max deal, and those are fast becoming a rarity in the NBA.

Until the Knicks accept the fact that they suck and actually try to rebuild instead of adding new big time contracts every year they arent going anywhere. Unless they luck out and the next 'Melo or Bosh falls in their laps.

RWhitney014
02-04-2006, 12:54 PM
First of all, Rose is the exact same player the Knicks keep acquiring, a shoot-first 2-3. The pick is nice, so if that was the impetus for taking him on, it's fair enough. My question is why on Earth would Toronto give up the pick? Couldn't they have found a deal for Rose that didn't require that?

Secondly, when, as an athlete, your wife starts being mentioned along with you in trades and stuff, it's not good. Len Martez was talking about it on QAM last night...Brenda Warner, Anna Benson, now Kendra Davis...ouch...

MikeO
02-04-2006, 03:20 PM
First of all, Rose is the exact same player the Knicks keep acquiring, a shoot-first 2-3. The pick is nice, so if that was the impetus for taking him on, it's fair enough. My question is why on Earth would Toronto give up the pick? Couldn't they have found a deal for Rose that didn't require that?

Secondly, when, as an athlete, your wife starts being mentioned along with you in trades and stuff, it's not good. Len Martez was talking about it on QAM last night...Brenda Warner, Anna Benson, now Kendra Davis...ouch...

Toronto can buy out the contract of Davis and clear up a ton of cap room. That is why they did this trade. Davis won't play 1 game for Toronto and will be a FA by next week

GreenMonster
02-04-2006, 03:22 PM
Toronto can buy out the contract of Davis and clear up a ton of cap room. That is why they did this trade. Davis won't play 1 game for Toronto and will be a FA by next week

Agreed.. Clearly a cap move to make a run at Nene and keep Bosh..

MikeO
02-04-2006, 03:25 PM
Huh? Why would a contender want to trade for an expiring contract? Rose had no trade value this year and will have less next year since the odds are he wont make it on the court for more than 10 mpg. The only way he will be traded is for a lousy player with a longer max deal, and those are fast becoming a rarity in the NBA.

Until the Knicks accept the fact that they suck and actually try to rebuild instead of adding new big time contracts every year they arent going anywhere. Unless they luck out and the next 'Melo or Bosh falls in their laps.

The Knicks can't re-build!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:shakeno: You can't charge what they charge for ticket prices and courtside seats and just blow it up and rebuild!!!!!! THIS IS A BUSINESS FIRST!!! MSG is in this to turn a profit. And if you field a team with Marbury, Rose, Crawford...etc. Granted no all-stars and not a team that will win, but they can justify charging what they charge for tickets. And MSG turns a profit. If you just "tank it" for 5 years and rebuild, then you can't charge what they charge for courtside seats, and they would lose money!

And a contender WOULD trade for Rose if a team feels he can still play. If you believe he still has "game" you would want to trade for him, pick him up for a half a year, hope he helps you win, then he is gone! :shakeno: :shakeno: :shakeno:

GreenMonster
02-04-2006, 03:30 PM
The Knicks can't re-build!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:shakeno: You can't charge what they charge for ticket prices and courtside seats and just blow it up and rebuild!!!!!! THIS IS A BUSINESS FIRST!!! MSG is in this to turn a profit. And if you field a team with Marbury, Rose, Crawford...etc. Granted no all-stars and not a team that will win, but they can justify charging what they charge for tickets. And MSG turns a profit. If you just "tank it" for 5 years and rebuild, then you can't charge what they charge for courtside seats, and they would lose money!

And a contender WOULD trade for Rose if a team feels he can still play. If you believe he still has "game" you would want to trade for him, pick him up for a half a year, hope he helps you win, then he is gone! :shakeno: :shakeno: :shakeno:

Couple of problems.. First Rose is done being a valueable player, like I said contenders trade for people that can help them and a 40% FG, 27% 3P, and little to no defense will impress no team. 2nd Rose will be making 17 million next year so he will be tough to trade for another load of expiring contracts. The only gain they make is they get a 1st rounder to lose 8-10 in cap room in this years free agent market, who the Knicks weren't gonna sign anyone anyhow. So they picked up a pick to have Rose play 20 minutes a game.

Roman529
02-04-2006, 04:40 PM
Isiah will still find a way to ruin things....as usual. I don't see the Knicks making the playoffs once again.

dob72
02-04-2006, 04:43 PM
The Knicks can't re-build
thats true there gonna be in cap hell for years

wazzy
02-04-2006, 04:55 PM
I hope the Knicks can do something with the talent they have because they are in cap hell and there is no chance they can rebuild or sign any big free agents and Isiah usually doesn't make to many good trades. I feel sorry for the Knicks if Brown can't turn this team around and thats sad when a Raptors fan feels sorry for you right now!

Pink_Dove
02-04-2006, 06:13 PM
Agreed.. Clearly a cap move to make a run at Nene and keep Bosh..

I read that too but I'm not sure why they would make a run at Nene...
ESPN speculated on the basis that the Raps need a big man and Nene's a restricted FA. Well so are Vladimir Radmanovic, Al Harrington and Nazr Mohammed.

PhinsOwnBrady
02-04-2006, 06:57 PM
Do the Raptors want to loose this is such a horrible trade i could understand player for player.

Ferretsquig
02-04-2006, 11:09 PM

People want to see a winning team....besides a lineup with Nate, Ariza, Lee, and Frye is probably more interesting than the one on the floor...might win more games too. I'd venture to guess it would be more profitable to make it to the playoffs than to pick in the lottery every year.

I cant figure out what team had 18 mil in dead contracts that they could throw at the Knicks in return for a guy to score off the bench. Somehow I doubt one exists.

finfansince72
02-05-2006, 07:07 AM

How is it good business to lose? You don't make sense here. Put a young, talented team thats fun to watch and people will show up. I guess an older, less athletic crap team is a better sell than a young one with exciting future stars on it? The Knicks could rebuild and still sell out the arena. It doesnt take 5 years to rebuild if you have a good GM. New York has always been a sought after place to play, they could entice quality free agents with respectable contracts, draft wisely and be a great team in a couple of years. As it stands now they have no shot at being good for years anyway. If the ticket sales went down, which they wouldnt, it would be offset by having half the payroll they have now.

MikeO
02-05-2006, 10:22 AM
How is it good business to lose? You don't make sense here. Put a young, talented team thats fun to watch and people will show up. I guess an older, less athletic crap team is a better sell than a young one with exciting future stars on it? The Knicks could rebuild and still sell out the arena. It doesnt take 5 years to rebuild if you have a good GM. New York has always been a sought after place to play, they could entice quality free agents with respectable contracts, draft wisely and be a great team in a couple of years. As it stands now they have no shot at being good for years anyway. If the ticket sales went down, which they wouldnt, it would be offset by having half the payroll they have now.

They don't want to lose!!!:shakeno: But with guys like Marbury, Crawford,...etc they aren't "TANKING IT". By not tanking it they sell tickets.

If they go out and just play a bunch of low-level scrubs, that is tanking it and they can't sell tickets that way

finfansince72
02-05-2006, 12:13 PM
They don't want to lose!!!:shakeno: But with guys like Marbury, Crawford,...etc they aren't "TANKING IT". By not tanking it they sell tickets.

If they go out and just play a bunch of low-level scrubs, that is tanking it and they can't sell tickets that way

Its questionable in the least to say picking up Jalen Rose isn't tanking it. He hasn't helped any team win in years.
Its not 'wanting to lose' to get rid of overpriced players who don't help u win. Its building so that you can win in the near future. I really think the New York fans would understand it if they had a really young roster that had great talent for a year or two. You act like the fans are so dumb that they don't understand how bad this team is and how stupid it is to keep signing and trading for over priced bums instead of stockpiling good young talent and building a team.
What New York is doing isn't working and hasn't worked for years now. Doing the samething over and over again expecting different results is pretty much the textbook definition of insanity. Isiah actually drafted well this past year and has done pretty good in the draft. Hell of a lot better than in FA or trades thats for sure.

Ferretsquig
02-05-2006, 06:01 PM
Funny thing is if they "tanked it" and got rid of all the overpriced talent they would make gobs of money. If they had a payroll the size of the Heat they would save almost 100 mil in salary and luxury tax payments. Somehow I doubt the decline in seats sold would touch that dollar figure.

FinsNYanksFan13
02-06-2006, 10:40 AM
This was another stupid move by Isiah. He is the worst business man known to business. There was an artice in the Daily News yesterday with basically every owner in the CBA saying how horrible of a businessman Isiah is. He's desperate and if Knick fans don't start protesting for him to be fired, then they're heartless!

MikeO
02-06-2006, 11:12 AM
You guys are gonna love when he trades for THEO RATLIFF sometime this wek!

FinsNYanksFan13
02-06-2006, 11:26 AM
Only Isiah trades for Jalen Rose when we already can't find enough PT for Richardson, Marbury, Crawford, and Robertson. Only Isiah trades and expiring contract for one that pays an average player 16 mill next year. I am so sick of Isiah walking around Madison Square like his **** don't stink with his Napoleon complex stinking up the joint. This guy can draft, I'll give him that but after that, he sucks as a front office guy. After this trade, I am done with Isiah and the Knicks. As long as he is in charge I could care less about this team because they are not going to get better with the way Isiah thinks as a GM. It's been 5 years since the Knicks have had a winning season yet Isiah and company refuse to re-build. 5 losing seasons is usually part of a re-building project but not with the KNicks, with the Knicks it's just "let's keep adding over priced players and keep losing." I went to the Lakers game the other night when they came to town and I cheered for Kobe because that's how little I think of Isiah and most of the current players on the roster. He needs to be fired asap. If Dolan doesn't pull the trigger soon, we'll lose Larry. At the end of the day, he's our last hope so we cannot afford to lose him. Isiah must go and I will not root for the Knicks until he is gone. Giving Jerome James 30 million to sit the bench, trading all of our first rounders for Marbury and Curry, trading Kurt Thomas for Richardson (who doesn't play D and his offense consists of sitting behind the 3 point line chucking them up), I mean the list goes on. These aren't even bad moves, THEY'RE HORRIBLE MOVES. It's time for the fans at the Garden to stop showing up so there can be a point proved about the direction of this team and franchise!

FinsNYanksFan13
02-06-2006, 11:32 AM
by the way, I love LB but he needs to take blame for playing way to many different line-ups and players. Yesterday when he narrowed the roster down the Knicks were very competitive (even had a chance until Jalen Rose decided to be hero and take a shot with a 6'10 rock solid PF in his face) but most of the time he plays 12 players and the team is a mess to find consistancy. He needs to suck it up and let the guys know who is in and who isn't. It's time he buckles down and starts playing those who deserve and letting the rest rot on the bench!

dob72
02-06-2006, 12:43 PM
they got two first round picks one from denver and one from the spurs but those will be at the tail end of what looks like to be a weak draft

GreenMonster
02-06-2006, 12:51 PM

This wouldn't surprise me. Do the Knicks have any expiring contracts to offer back. The best part about this potential move and the Rose deal is that it means less minutes for Frye. The kid is a bum rookie and Larry Brown knows where those players belong, the bench..:lol:

Phinz4Life
02-06-2006, 06:20 PM

Ahhh I hope not. :tantrum:

Now, as for my take on everything, just a tidbit, I think its appaling the amount of playing time Lee has been getting, or shall I say, not getting. Atleast he fights for rebounds and plays some defense.

dob72
02-10-2006, 02:23 AM
I hope the Knicks can do something with the talent they have because they are in cap hell and there is no chance they can rebuild or sign any big free agents and Isiah usually doesn't make to many good trades. I feel sorry for the Knicks if Brown can't turn this team around and thats sad when a Raptors fan feels sorry for you right now!
don't feel sorry for them they got by far the highest payroll in the league it really is mind boggling how much money has been put into that team

Section126
02-10-2006, 02:47 AM
This wouldn't surprise me. Do the Knicks have any expiring contracts to offer back. The best part about this potential move and the Rose deal is that it means less minutes for Frye. The kid is a bum rookie and Larry Brown knows where those players belong, the bench..:lol:

Are you talking about the same Channing Frye? That kid is gonna be a stud.

HugeFinFan
02-10-2006, 10:25 AM
Yea I also didn't understand the Frye comment. He's one of the few (if not the only :lol:) brightspot on the Knicks

phunwin
02-10-2006, 11:09 AM
I don't think anyone could put the Knicks' disastrous situation any better than Bill Simmons:

The Bobcats have 13 wins and the Knicks have 14 wins. According to hoopshype.com, Charlotte's 2005-06 payroll is $33.4 million, while New York's payroll is $125.9 million. Not including team options on younger players, Charlotte has $21.8 million in guaranteed salaries committed for 2007; $14.2 million committed in 2008; and $0.0 million in 2009. New York's guaranteed money looks like this: $110.3 million (2007); $49 million (2008); and $45 million (2009). Also, the Bobcats kept all their first-round picks through the decade, while New York gives Chicago its 2006 lottery pick and switches first-rounders with the Bulls in 2007 (with the Knicks getting the lower pick).

To recap: For that one extra win, the Knicks spent four times as much money, killed their cap flexibility through 2009 and gave away any chance of having a top-five pick in the next two years.

Oh yeah, and don't forget, much of the hope for the team lies in three talented rookies who the coach refuses to play consistently even though it would take an act of Congress for this team to get into playoff contention.

What more does Zeke have to do to get fired?

GreenMonster
02-10-2006, 11:44 AM
Are you talking about the same Channing Frye? That kid is gonna be a stud.

I was being sarcastic.. Awful move, they have a stud rookie playing well and they trade for a player that will surely take some more of Frye's minutes when they slide the lineups around. Frye's #'s per 48 mins are outstanding, when he learns to play some defense he will be a real force. Playing with a another gunner like Rose just means less and less touches for Frye.. I am with you guys on Frye, gonna be a player for a while, why not play him, they ain't winning anything but a high pick for the bulls this year..

Section126
02-10-2006, 11:46 AM
I was being sarcastic.. Awful move, they have a stud rookie playing well and they trade for a player that will surely take some more of Frye's minutes when they slide the lineups around. Frye's #'s per 48 mins are outstanding, when he learns to play some defense he will be a real force. Playing with a another gunner like Rose just means less and less touches for Frye.. I am with you guys on Frye, gonna be a player for a while, why not play him, they ain't winning anything but a high pick for the bulls this year..

I agree with you...That kid Frye really impresses me...I would start him and play him 40 minutes a night to get him some experience..

Ferretsquig
02-10-2006, 01:54 PM
I don't think anyone could put the Knicks' disastrous situation any better than Bill Simmons:

The real embarrasing thing is that not only do the Bobcats have a payroll thats less 100 mil they are more fun to watch as well. You just have to root for guys like Brevin Knight, Okafor, Felton and May in the status of the ultimate underdog. I really think if NY went that way, playing Nate, Frye, Ariza, and Lee there would be a lot more excitement about the team and its future. Fire Isiah and Brown, bring in some young exciting coach, and just have some fun.

MikeO
02-10-2006, 03:07 PM
The real embarrasing thing is that not only do the Bobcats have a payroll thats less 100 mil they are more fun to watch as well. You just have to root for guys like Brevin Knight, Okafor, Felton and May in the status of the ultimate underdog. I really think if NY went that way, playing Nate, Frye, Ariza, and Lee there would be a lot more excitement about the team and its future. Fire Isiah and Brown, bring in some young exciting coach, and just have some fun.

1) Who cares about the payroll thing???? If the money isn't coming out of my pocket who cares. I never understood that. The NBA HAS a salary cap. So who cares what the payroll is.

2) Fire Larry Brown??????????? LOL, ok! All credibility lost there . The greatest coach of all time maybe or at least Top 5, and after 1/2 of his first year fire him! NCAA championship, NBA championship, and he even took teh CLIPPERS to the playoffs in the dark days of the Clips, and FIRE him over what????????????????????

Ferretsquig
02-10-2006, 04:11 PM
1) Who cares about the payroll thing???? If the money isn't coming out of my pocket who cares. I never understood that. The NBA HAS a salary cap. So who cares what the payroll is.

I assume someone is paying for it and they probably care. Oh I'm sorry your the one who already knows every sports franchise in NY turns a profit simply b/c they are in NY. And the NBA doesnt have a salary cap.

2) Fire Larry Brown??????????? LOL, ok! All credibility lost there . The greatest coach of all time maybe or at least Top 5, and after 1/2 of his first year fire him! NCAA championship, NBA championship, and he even took teh CLIPPERS to the playoffs in the dark days of the Clips, and FIRE him over what????????????????????

Fire him b/c he doesnt put a good product on the court. Do you want to watch this bunch of losers play? I'm sure there are people out there that still watch them for the simple fact that they are the Knicks but from the few games I've seen its some ugly basketball being played out there. If you already know you arent going to win you might as well put an entertaining product on the court.

Larry Brown coaches a brand of slow, boring basketball. I'll give him all the credit in the world for winning with it. But really, what are the odds he will stick around for more than 2 yrs anyways? Hes not going to turn the Knicks into contenders, the best you can hope for is a scrappy team that crawls into the playoffs next year. Better to tear it all apart and be the underdog for a couple years than suffer another decade of mediocrity.

MikeO
02-11-2006, 01:51 AM
IAnd the NBA doesnt have a salary cap.

:lol: All credibility lost! YES THE NBA HAS A SALARY CAP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you don't even know that the NBA has a salary cap, then you really need to do your homework on the league before you start going off about things.

Ferretsquig
02-11-2006, 02:11 AM
Well plz do enlighten me as to the nature of this "cap." Doesnt the word cap imply that there is a limit to the spending? A NBA team can spend as much as it wants on players, hence there is no cap.

MikeO
02-11-2006, 03:25 AM
Well plz do enlighten me as to the nature of this "cap." Doesnt the word cap imply that there is a limit to the spending? A NBA team can spend as much as it wants on players, hence there is no cap.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :sidelol: :sidelol: You are gonna talk about the NBA and come off as if you know what you are talking about.......but dont' even know how the NBA salary cap works. LET ALONE THAT THERE IS A CAP AT ALL!!!!!!!! :sidelol:

http://aol.nba.com/news/cap_040713.html I did a quick search for ya. Brush up on some NBA Cap basics.....do some homework for a week. Then, IN A WEEK (no sooner), after you have done your homework.,....rejoin all of the NBA discussions here on the board. :sidelol:

Ferretsquig
02-11-2006, 11:23 AM
Well the bold print is nice....do think ur a bit dense though.

GreenMonster
02-11-2006, 11:38 AM

Wow its hard to talk about the Knicks situation if you don't fully understand it. It will be easier to convice me or MikeO or anyone on a topic that you fully understand, because the NBA salary cap has many rules which is why is so hard to put a 1-1 NBA trade on. Most NBA trades are cap related in some way so you better start learning about it, if you want to convice us novices..

Ferretsquig
02-11-2006, 11:56 AM
Well in theory it would be tough for a team to spend more than ~250 million on a 15 man roster...so if you want to call that a cap I'll give you that one. But you cant say the NBA percentage of revenues figure of 49 mil is a cap. Its just a number that when exceeded prompts a rule change. Now if you want to argue semantics there is a hard cap in the NBA that sets a minimum that must be spent...also based on revenue.

GreenMonster
02-11-2006, 12:01 PM
Well in theory it would be tough for a team to spend more than ~250 million on a 15 man roster...so if you want to call that a cap I'll give you that one. But you cant say the NBA percentage of revenues figure of 49 mil is a cap. Its just a number that when exceeded prompts a rule change. Now if you want to argue semantics there is a hard cap in the NBA that sets a minimum that must be spent...also based on revenue.

I guess that every team in the NBA will be bidding for Lebron coming up.. With no cap the sky is the limit...:shakeno: :shakeno: :shakeno:

MikeO
02-11-2006, 12:17 PM
:confused:

a rule change? What on earth are you talking about?

dob72
02-11-2006, 12:23 PM
The real embarrasing thing is that not only do the Bobcats have a payroll thats less 100 mil they are more fun to watch as well
i know u look at the knicks payroll and then there record lol its crazy

Jaj
02-11-2006, 02:02 PM
What's the big deal for the Knicks anyway? The point was since they have no cash at all for 06 why not add a little more onto it, get a 1st out of it, and a superior player. It was a good move for both except I thought the Knicks made out better in the trade.

Ferretsquig
02-11-2006, 02:11 PM
I guess that every team in the NBA will be bidding for Lebron coming up.. With no cap the sky is the limit...:shakeno: :shakeno: :shakeno:

Well some owner was smart enough about a decade enough to know his own weakness and decided to propose a max contract cap. So about 5 teams will be offering that and the others will offer as much as the rules allow, probably around 6 mil for starters. And yes even the Knicks will be offering a contract.

MikeO
02-11-2006, 03:42 PM
Well some owner was smart enough about a decade enough to know his own weakness and decided to propose a max contract cap. So about 5 teams will be offering that and the others will offer as much as the rules allow, probably around 6 mil for starters. And yes even the Knicks will be offering a contract.

Well Lebron's shoe company has a deal in place with him that if he signs with NY, Chicago, or LA that THEY the shoe company will pay him more$$$$$$$$ than if he plays in any other city. So, Lebron could take a little less money from a team to play for one of those 4 teams and make up the difference from the shoe company

Section126
02-12-2006, 01:30 PM
The NBA Salary Cap is probably the most prohibitive in all sports....

It is almost impossible to spend your way to a championship.

phunwin
02-12-2006, 05:12 PM
The NBA Salary Cap is probably the most prohibitive in all sports....

It is almost impossible to spend your way to a championship.

Well, I'd actually go with the NFL there, because it's a hard cap, whereas the NBA allows you to spend over the cap, you just have to pay extra to do so. But yes, the larger point remains: it's VERY hard to simply buy a championship in the NBA.

Well Lebron's shoe company has a deal in place with him that if he signs with NY, Chicago, or LA that THEY the shoe company will pay him more$$$$$$$$ than if he plays in any other city. So, Lebron could take a little less money from a team to play for one of those 4 teams and make up the difference from the shoe company

Very true. However, LeBron would have to take a mid-level exception from the Knicks to do that, which he probably won't do. Far too much downside risk there. Suppose he blows out a knee in his one year of MLE. Suddenly, his marketing ability is shot and his basketball career is in question. And oh yeah, it sets a potentially disastrous precedent for the union and NBA. Frankly, I'm shocked the NBA didn't come down on Nike for that deal.