PDA

View Full Version : Sony Determined to Launch 'Playstation Live'

mor911
02-04-2006, 04:54 PM
Ok, the service won't be called Playstation Live. Everyone just says that because it's Sony's attempt at dethroning Xbox Live. I'm glad to see they're going to seriously attempt at making a unified means for developers to make their games online capable. Apparently, they've been working on it for years too :D

Many people considered it a poor move on Sony's part, since Xbox Live is thought by many to be one of Microsoft's most significant contributions to the gaming community. Lack of a unified online service would be considered a disadvantage to the Playstation 3 when it reaches the market.

However, now Playstation Magazine (via Joystiq.com) is reporting that (http://www.gametab.com/news/479200/), contradictory to what Sony Computer Entertainment Vice President Phil Harrison told Playstation Magazine in November, Sony has been working on an Xbox Live style service since shortly after they released the PS2 network adapter in 2002.

Many members of the gaming community consider Microsoft's development of the Xbox Live network one of the most significant aspects of the Xbox system. Because of the prevalence of Xbox Live, online support has become increasingly common on games released for the Xbox. Microsoft hopes to make their online service an even more integral part of console gaming with the release of the Xbox 360, which offers free access to online voice (and soon video) chat, game-related downloads, demo and trailer downloads, and game-targeted entertainment content (movies, music, etc.).

Nintendo is also moving forward with plans to create a unified online service with the launch of their Wi-Fi Connection. Previously considered the lagging competitor in terms of online support (the GameCube has virtually no online games available for the system), Nintendo has been aggressively promoting their service, recently striking a deal with McDonald's to offer free Wi-Fi access to Nintendo DS units.

Sony's decision to remain with a non-unified online network seems to be going against the grain of the next-generation consoles, if that is indeed what they are doing.

Whether this will turn out to be a mistake for Sony remains to be seen. Poor promotion was one of the key factors to the lackluster online support for the PS2. Sure, it worked well for a couple games, but overall it was a dud. If Sony puts a decent amount of effort into showing that it wants to be in the online arena, the PS3 could very well be right in the middle of the online mix this next generation. However, seeing that Nintendo has recently opened its eyes to online gaming and is preparing to go head to head with Microsoft's already strong online support, one would have to wonder why - until recently - Sony seems relatively uninterested in trying to get its own piece of the pie.
If they do it right, it could be a great thing for Sony.

http://www.gamesfirst.com/index.php?id=1186

Motion
02-04-2006, 10:32 PM
Good news

Deus Ex Dolphin
02-04-2006, 11:06 PM
Sony is late to the party on this one. I don't buy the claim they "have been working on it for years", unless by "working on it" you mean "thinking about providing an online service" for Sony gamers.

MS has been working on Xbox Live since 2001, took a year to get it going, and have a ways to go yet. Think Sony knows software and networks better than MS? Me neither.

Sony fans should be prepared to see a Sony online service that looks like Xbox Live circa 2002, and that will be when Sony gets their network up and running in late 2007.

BTW, will Sony fans complain as loudly about "paying for online play" when Sony charges for it? Or is it OKAY when Sony does it? :D

mor911
02-04-2006, 11:15 PM
Sony is late to the party on this one. I don't buy the claim they "have been working on it for years", unless by "working on it" you mean "thinking about providing an online service" for Sony gamers.

MS has been working on Xbox Live since 2001, took a year to get it going, and have a ways to go yet. Think Sony knows software and networks better than MS? Me neither.

Sony fans should be prepared to see a Sony online service that looks like Xbox Live circa 2002, and that will be when Sony gets their network up and running in late 2007.

BTW, will Sony fans complain as loudly about "paying for online play" when Sony charges for it? Or is it OKAY when Sony does it? :D
I disagree with you. The reason is because Sony has a model to build on... Xbox Live. It's not like when Microsoft was creating Xbox Live. Microsoft had to develope a new system/idea for online gaming. It worked and was very successful. Sony doesn't have that... What they do have is something to shoot for (and possibly beat).

They know where they have to be with their new service... Thus I don't think it's gonna be bad. Do I think it'd be better than Xbox Live? In my opinion, no. But it won't be as bad as Xbox Live in 2002.

As far as price is concerned, I se it going 2 ways:

1. They charge somewhere in the area of $20-$60 per year for the service (they may try to offer it cheaper than Xbox Live).

2. It's free, but jammed with advertisements.

Either way, they have to pay for server maintenence somehow. Either we pay for it out-of-pocket, or the advertising companies pay for it, and we look at ads while we use the service.

Only time will tell

:mor911:

Jt0323
02-04-2006, 11:44 PM
i hope online is free

nevadadolfan
02-05-2006, 12:53 PM
I have to side with
Microsoft on this one.
Im not saying Sony will blow its online service
Im sure it will be good, considering whats at stake. But given
Microsoft's background and knowledge in this area they have a major advantage and have put a major emphasis on the online
component since day one.

Microsoft
micro soft
micro-soft
micros oft
micros-oft
Edit...
Revert to "microsoft"

Is
I'm
IMO
Om
Um
Edit...
Ignore all
Add to dictionary

I'm
IMO
Om
Um
MI
Edit...
Ignore all
Add to dictionary

Microsoft's
Microsoft
Microcircuits
Microcircuit's
Edit...
Revert to "Microsofts"

component
components
compliant
complainant
complaint
Edit...
Revert to "componant"

mor911
02-05-2006, 01:37 PM
What the hell did all of that mean? :D

Motion
02-05-2006, 03:04 PM
I have to side with
Microsoft
on this one.
Im
not saying Sony will blow its online service
Im
sure it will be good, considering whats at stake. But given
Microsoft's
background and knowledge in this area they have a major advantage and have put a major emphasis on the online
component
since day one.

Microsoft
micro soft
micro-soft
micros oft
micros-oft
Edit...
Revert to "microsoft"

Is
I'm
IMO