PDA

View Full Version : Army Teaches Troops How to Pick a Spouse

BAMAPHIN 22
02-04-2006, 07:35 PM
They are the Pentagon's new ``rules of engagement'' - the diamond ring kind. U.S. Army chaplains are trying to teach troops how to pick the right spouse, through a program called ``How To Avoid Marrying a Jerk.''

The matchmaking advice comes as military family life is being stressed by two tough wars. Defense Department records show more than 56,000 in the Army - active, National Guard and Reserve - have divorced since the campaign in Afghanistan started in 2001.

Officials partly blame long and repeated deployments which started after the invasion of Iraq in 2003 and stretched the service thin.

Troops also are coming home with life-altering injuries.

Many come back better people, others worse-off - but either way, very changed from who they were when they wed.

``Being in the military certainly raises the stakes when you choose a mate,'' said Lt. Col. Peter Frederich, head of family issues in the Pentagon's chaplain office.

The ``no jerks'' program is also called ``P.I.C.K. a Partner,'' for Premarital Interpersonal Choices and Knowledge.

http://cnn.netscape.cnn.com/news/story.jsp?floc=ne-main-1-l2&flok=FF-APO-1110&idq=/ff/story/0001%2F20060204%2F1800277405.htm&sc=1110

Fin Fan in Cali
02-04-2006, 09:14 PM
I can understandwhat they are saying there. It's a nice try. I was married when I went to Desert Shield, and Desert Storm, but when I came back it was all over. It worked out for the best though. Married for 14 years. What they told me in the Marine Corps is if the Corps wanted you to have a wife they would of issued you one in bootcamp.:sidelol:

ih8brady
02-04-2006, 09:18 PM
What they told me in the Marine Corps is if the Corps wanted you to have a wife they would of issued you one in bootcamp.:sidelol:

hahaha, good stuff.

Fin Fan in Cali
02-04-2006, 09:26 PM
hahaha, good stuff.Think thats funny, when we got on the bus at the airport, we look like a bunch of long haired hippies.:sidelol: We get our bald haircuts, and then you have to get on the yellow footprints inside, and empty out all your pockets. This kid next to me was emptying his pocket, and he had a purple Grimace comb from McDonalds. I started laughing my butt off, then I had a drill instructor about and inch away from my face.:sidelol:

ih8brady
02-04-2006, 09:30 PM
Think thats funny, when we got on the bus at the airport, we look like a bunch of long haired hippies.:sidelol: We get our bald haircuts, and then you have to get on the yellow footprints inside, and empty out all your pockets. This kid next to me was emptying his pocket, and he had a purple Grimace comb from McDonalds. I started laughing my butt off, then I had a drill instructor about and inch away from my face.:sidelol:

Purple Grimace comb? :sidelol: Might as well have "Barney underwear" or a membership card for the Gay-Lesbian Association of America in your wallet. I know the DIs must have destroyed him, those guys are really hard.

Fin Fan in Cali
02-04-2006, 09:34 PM
Purple Grimace comb? :sidelol: Might as well have "Barney underwear" or a membership card for the Gay-Lesbian Association of America in your wallet. I know the DIs must have destroyed him, those guys are really hard.Back then you would see a recruit go in the gear locker for a while with a DI, and not come out for awhile. That was when blanket parties were given to the screw ups. I was thrashed one day by a DI where I must of had two gallons of sweat on the deck from him busting my butt.

Roman529
02-05-2006, 05:13 AM
My dad was a drill instructor at Paris Island in the early 1950's, then he became an embassy guard in Brussels, Belgium and that is where he met my mom....so if it wasn't for the Marines, I probably would never have been born. :wink: Hooyah....semper fi!!!!!! My dad then got of the military and worked for the post office for two years but hated civilian life....he then spent the next 24 years in the Air Force and was a Vietnam vet. I live in Colorado Springs, home of five military bases including Fort Carson army base.....over 70 guys from Carson have died in the war so far.....the divorce rate is incredibly high....my twin brother Steve has been a civilian contractor at Camp Doha, Kuwait for 2 1/2 years...he filed for divorce last February.

Fin Fan in Cali
02-05-2006, 10:39 AM
My dad was a drill instructor at Paris Island in the early 1950's, then he became an embassy guard in Brussels, Belgium and that is where he met my mom....so if it wasn't for the Marines, I probably would never have been born. :wink: Hooyah....semper fi!!!!!! My dad then got of the military and worked for the post office for two years but hated civilian life....he then spent the next 24 years in the Air Force and was a Vietnam vet. I live in Colorado Springs, home of five military bases including Fort Carson army base.....over 70 guys from Carson have died in the war so far.....the divorce rate is incredibly high....my twin brother Steve has been a civilian contractor at Camp Doha, Kuwait for 2 1/2 years...he filed for divorce last February.People that are not close to someone in the Military, sometimes don't understand all the pain they go through. Sorry to hear about your brother. Hopefully it all works out.:wink:

mor911
02-05-2006, 11:04 AM
I hate how dumb the government treats military members.

Fin Fan in Cali
02-05-2006, 11:08 AM
My dad was a drill instructor at Paris Island in the early 1950's, then he became an embassy guard in Brussels, Belgium and that is where he met my mom....so if it wasn't for the Marines, I probably would never have been born. :wink: Hooyah....semper fi!!!!!! My dad then got of the military and worked for the post office for two years but hated civilian life....he then spent the next 24 years in the Air Force and was a Vietnam vet. I live in Colorado Springs, home of five military bases including Fort Carson army base.....over 70 guys from Carson have died in the war so far.....the divorce rate is incredibly high....my twin brother Steve has been a civilian contractor at Camp Doha, Kuwait for 2 1/2 years...he filed for divorce last February.I did 11 years in the Marine Corps, and a lot of peopel that never served said you only had 9 more years left why didn't you stay? I saw down sizing, the games were getting worse, and even saw marines getiing to 19 years of time served, and the Marine Corps wouldn't let them extend to get there 20 years in saw they let them go. I lost one marriage, and wasn't about to lose another one.:wink:

Roman529
02-05-2006, 03:19 PM
I often wish I had gone in the military like my dad and older brother who graduated from the Air Force Academy. You get to see a lot of the world and have great memories...but the constant moving and having to prepare for possibly going to war can be very hard on a family. That is why I have nothing but respect for the military....especially Marines.

:troops::patriot:

Fin Fan in Cali
02-05-2006, 03:56 PM
I often wish I had gone in the military like my dad and older brother who graduated from the Air Force Academy. You get to see a lot of the world and have great memories...but the constant moving and having to prepare for possibly going to war can be very hard on a family. That is why I have nothing but respect for the military....especially Marines.

:troops::patriot:Thanks bro.:wink: