PDA

View Full Version : Portishead

The Confessor
02-05-2006, 01:58 PM
Okay music buffs, I was just listening to a saved mp3 I have of Portishead, when it occured to me: "I know absolutely nothing about this band." Anybody have the skinny on them and why I havent heard more from/about them>?

FINHEAVEN, one place so much knowledge. Better than looking something up on google.... Well as good as anyways.:wink:

Rocky Raccoon
02-05-2006, 02:03 PM
well when I saw the title I said "what did Clinton Portis do now?" So obviously I have never heard of them...sorry bro. :(

Quelonio
02-05-2006, 02:33 PM
It's been a while since live at roseland... So I think nothing has come out since then... So I guess we got to pull out dummy and live at roseland ... Although I think a guy from portishead is now a member of Goldfrapp, which is a pretty good band.

Roman529
02-05-2006, 02:43 PM
I thought this was maybe a bobblehead doll of Clinton Portis?? :confused:

Muck
02-05-2006, 02:44 PM
Probably their most famous song was "Sour Times".

A band called The Blank Theory did a really good rock cover of it.

Noodle Arm
02-05-2006, 02:48 PM
Their music is just not commercial enough to play on radio stations. (which isn't saying much...have you listened to the radio lately?..ewww) They are also notoriously press shy, so they never really get any publicity. I'm not even sure if they're still together...they haven't released a studio album since 1997.

I'm not their biggest fan (frankly they bore me after awhile) but they do have some great songs. Very trippy and mellow.

Toneboy
02-05-2006, 11:49 PM
They're from the Portishead area of Bristol, England.

http://www.portishead.co.uk/

CirclingWagons
02-06-2006, 09:40 PM
"Roads" is a pretty good song too...depressing, but chill

ChrisKo
02-06-2006, 10:04 PM
They are working on another album, but Beth Gibbons has also done a side project called Beth Gibbons & Rustin Man. It's pretty good but more acoustic than Portishead. If you like Portishead I would recommend Lamb and also Esthero. Like has also been mentioned Goldfrapp is great too.

NaboCane
02-06-2006, 10:28 PM
Their music is just not commercial enough to play on radio stations. (which isn't saying much...have you listened to the radio lately?..ewww) They are also notoriously press shy, so they never really get any publicity. I'm not even sure if they're still together...they haven't released a studio album since 1997.

I'm not their biggest fan (frankly they bore me after awhile) but they do have some great songs. Very trippy and mellow.

I like them a lot, and that style of music is great as a background for getting down. But you're right, it's not commercial except on something like XM.

And Glory Box was their biggest hit, I think. Because of the Stealing Beauty soundtrack.

NaboCane
02-06-2006, 11:12 PM
They are working on another album, but Beth Gibbons has also done a side project called Beth Gibbons & Rustin Man. It's pretty good but more acoustic than Portishead. If you like Portishead I would recommend Lamb and also Esthero. Like has also been mentioned Goldfrapp is great too.

Thanks for the recommendations. Hooverphonic is another I like in that genre.

The Confessor
02-06-2006, 11:30 PM
I like them a lot, and that style of music is great as a background for getting down. But you're right, it's not commercial except on something like XM.

And Glory Box was their biggest hit, I think. Because of the Stealing Beauty soundtrack.

Thats it, Glory Box. Good but different. I tried the PORTISHEAD.com thing before posting. It just sent me to a Beth Gibbons site and didnt really explain anything.
Thanks for the insight and parallel musical ambitions. Gawd I love this site. Google called and they are pi$$ed cause I stopped useing them and just use you guys and girls, and that just came out wrong anyways.:D

d-day
02-06-2006, 11:38 PM
i always measured bands by their respective drug factor... portishead just a little too dark and gloomy for my drug tastes... :goof:

inFINSible
02-07-2006, 09:22 AM
I like Goldfrapp..

NaboCane
02-07-2006, 11:23 AM
I like Goldfrapp..

:yes:

DrAstroZoom
02-07-2006, 12:24 PM
Nobody loves me, it's true ... not like you do.

Portishead is a multimedia band, having released a film to go along with what I believe was their debut album. They are generally classified as trip hop (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trip_hop), although they have disdain for the title. They're supposedly working on new material.

Massive Attack has a similar motif.

NaboCane
02-07-2006, 12:28 PM
Nobody loves me, it's true ... not like you do.

Portishead is a multimedia band, having released a film to go along with what I believe was their debut album. They are generally classified as trip hop (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trip_hop), although they have disdain for the title. They're supposedly working on new material.

Massive Attack has a similar motif.

I prefer to think of them as funk hop.

:D

Quelonio
02-16-2006, 12:57 AM
Sorry to bump this one up again, but I just got my hands on an album called Ruby Blue by Roisin Murphy the singer for Moloko, and it is a damn good album, also from the whole trip hop grouping, only a little happier than portishead or massive attack