PDA

View Full Version : Postage Charge for Email?

mor911
02-06-2006, 11:03 AM
What's the world coming to? They're considering charging postage for email... Yahoo and AOL have this horrible idea (horrible in my opinion) too charge 1 cent for email, and it'll bypass all filters and go straight to the user's inbox.

If the system is widely accepted, Yahoo and AOL will make millions.

COMPANIES will soon have to buy the electronic equivalent of a postage stamp if they want to be certain their emails are delivered.
America Online and Yahoo!, two of the largest email account providers, are about to start using a system that gives preference to messages from companies that pay up to US1¢ each to have them delivered. The senders must promise to contact only people who have agreed to receive their messages or risk being blocked.
The internet companies say this will help them identify legitimate mail and reduce junk email, identity-theft scams and other scourges that plague users. They also will earn millions of dollars a year if the system is widely adopted.
AOL and Yahoo! will still accept email from senders who have not paid, but the paid messages will be given special treatment. On AOL, for example, they will go straight to users' main mailboxes and will not have to pass the gauntlet of spam filters.

As for companies that send email, "some will pay, but others will object to being held to ransom", he said. "A big danger is that one of them will be big enough to encourage AOL users to use a different email service."
In a broader sense, the move to create what is essentially a preferred class of email is a major change in the economics of the internet.
Until now, senders and recipients of email, and web pages and other information, each covered their own costs of using the network, with no money changing hands.
Sounds like they're either trying to get over on people, or trying ot make some quick cash.

http://www.theage.com.au/news/business/big-two-stamp-a-charge-on-email/2006/02/06/1139074166936.html

UltraDol-Fan
02-06-2006, 11:18 AM
lame, no way will I pay for email. I will stop using it.

Hellion
02-06-2006, 11:19 AM
I know the goverment(U.S.) was throwing it around because of the decline in mail since email started and that they were having to lay people off. I haven't heard of it being privatized. Sounds like a scam to me.

Celtkin
02-06-2006, 11:47 AM
$0.01 per email would certainly cut down on the amount of spam that we receive. I have 8 email accounts monitor and I average over 80 pieces of spam a day and it would be much more if I didn't report every one of them to Spamcop.

If these bums who are sending out 1,000,000 pieces of spam a day were forced to pay even $0.01 per email, that would be $10,000 a day. I can bet that would curb their spamming activities.

Mindwarp
02-06-2006, 12:01 PM
first of all you CAN NOT gaurentee email. So i say let them do it. They will be taking a lot of pissed of customer calling them and asking WTF there mail never got somewhere. :chuckle: wait till a mail system they are sending to get bombarded with a mail virus or is down and just bounces back what then?

mor911
02-06-2006, 12:04 PM
first of all you CAN NOT gaurentee email. So i say let them do it. They will be taking a lot of pissed of customer calling them and asking WTF there mail never got somewhere. :chuckle: wait till a mail system they are sending to get bombarded with a mail virus or is down and just bounces back what then?
Sounds like you're speaking from some kind of experience. :lol: