PDA

View Full Version : Bill Gates -- on the Nintendo Revolution

mor911
02-06-2006, 03:22 PM
Read a pretty dull interview that EGM did on Bill Gates. Wanted everyone to see what he said when they hit him with questions on the revolution. He took a lot of crap for his words apparently too...

EGM: Do you wish Microsoft had come up with the idea for the Nintendo Revolution controller?

Bill Gates: Uh...no. [Laughs] We'll watch and see. Holding two different things like that? Anyway, Nintendo...you've got to give it to them. They march to the beat of a different drummer. Sometimes that makes them incredibly right and sometimes that makes them incredibly wrong. They're certainly making a very different bet in terms of how much they're putting into the graphics this time. I do think there is a question as to whether they can get outside the young age bracket at all. That's been tough for them.

EGM: What do you think about the Nintendo Revolution controller?

Peter Moore: I found it very intriguing, and I'm always a big fan of companies that try and innovate in a space where we need to do things a little differently. It still remains to be seen [how well it'll do], because there's no game to demo against it yet, to get a feel for it, but I still respect and admire the fact that they're willing to take what is clearly a huge risk to innovate. Let's see if it works out for them.

EGM: J Allard once told us that he'd give up his Ferrari and his office if [Mario creator] Shigeru Miyamoto quit Nintendo to go work for Microsoft. What would you give up?

Peter Moore: [Laughs] For Miyamoto-san...well, I don't have a Ferrari to give up. I'd give up J's Ferrari again. I have five cars. Most of them are owned by my wife and kids, but I think I'd probably give 'em all up for Miyamoto-san. I'm a huge fan, and I share J's desire that one day he will bring his incredible content and his incredible vision for what gaming should be to the Xbox. Yeah, I'd give up all of my cars. Might give up my house, too, if I could get it reimbursed back on my expenses. [Laughs] I'm not sure that would happen.
People are giving him a lot of crap for how he answered, but I thought they were much classier responses than the ones Nintendo gave the 360. People are saying he's acting like a dick, and I just don't get that reading the interview.

phinpunk14
02-06-2006, 05:15 PM
I didn't think that was disrespectful at all. He more or less said he would reserve judgement until he could play a demo, and that he commended them for being innovative. That's better than things I have to say about that controller.

mor911
02-06-2006, 05:18 PM
I didn't think that was disrespectful at all. He more or less said he would reserve judgement until he could play a demo, and that he commended them for being innovative. That's better than things I have to say about that controller. You and me both... :evil:

I guess it's because of how he answered the first question:

EGM: Do you wish Microsoft had come up with the idea for the Nintendo Revolution controller?

Bill Gates: Uh...no.

Nintendo fanboys probly took that as a dis or something.

FinsNCanes
02-06-2006, 07:10 PM
Read a pretty dull interview that EGM did on Bill Gates. Wanted everyone to see what he said when they hit him with questions on the revolution. He took a lot of crap for his words apparently too...
People are giving him a lot of crap for how he answered, but I thought they were much classier responses than the ones Nintendo gave the 360. People are saying he's acting like a dick, and I just don't get that reading the interview.

I don't see it either. I actually thought he was trying to be funny. I also want to be his son.

Agent51
02-06-2006, 07:26 PM
I don't see it either. I actually thought he was trying to be funny. I also want to be his son.

I'd love to see an MTV cribs on that guys house, that would be CRAZY.........

Ray Finkle
02-06-2006, 07:27 PM
That's better than things I have to say about that controller.

Same from me. Eventhough I haven't played anything with the controller I don't think I'll be a fan of it. Holding two different things in my opinion will be very awkward when trying to play a game.

Marino2Clayton
02-06-2006, 08:31 PM
I'd love to see an MTV cribs on that guys house, that would be CRAZY.........

"We have a special 12-hour MTV Cribs tonight on..." :D

I agree that would be bad-***.

Even though I didn't buy either the N64 or the Game Cube, I was excited about the Revolution since you can download the old Nintendo and Super Nintendo games. But if Microsoft does their "classic" arcade downloads right, I will just stick w/ the 360.

Ray Finkle
02-06-2006, 09:05 PM
Even though I didn't buy either the N64 or the Game Cube, I was excited about the Revolution since you can download the old Nintendo and Super Nintendo games. But if Microsoft does their "classic" arcade downloads right, I will just stick w/ the 360.

Any word on how much money each downloaded game will be? If its pretty cheap I might consider getting a Revolution.

Samphin
02-06-2006, 09:19 PM

Well, I for one, was offended by his response. :lol:

I am willing to give it a shot. I think maianly for some older games. I like the idea of having to actually move, but most will disagree. Nintendo needs to realize, I think, that people play games for different reasons, but, for the most part, they play them sitting down, in a relaxed state. If they want to be succsefull, they need to cater to that and offer these other options as a bonus. Just my opinion though. Like I said, I am willing to give it a shot.

FinsNCanes
02-06-2006, 10:05 PM
All I know is they MUST make a Super Smash Bros for the Revolution.

Bubble Bobble as well :lol:

Bruzer
02-07-2006, 08:35 AM
I have no problem with the revolution controller they are trying somethings new which is more than I can say about 360 and ps3. Its the same for games everyones to scared to try something new so we get nothing new its always sequals, with upgrades hence the 360 and ps3. Im glad nintendo is trying something new.

The Confessor
02-07-2006, 08:45 AM
I also want to be his son.

Sorry fnc, your gonna have to put down the no-filter camels if you wanna be big-daddy warbucks son:D. You know how they are up in the Pacific NW. If it aint good for you, they dont want it.

mor911
02-07-2006, 09:25 AM
I have no problem with the revolution controller they are trying somethings new which is more than I can say about 360 and ps3. Its the same for games everyones to scared to try something new so we get nothing new its always sequals, with upgrades hence the 360 and ps3. Im glad nintendo is trying something new.
I don't like it at all. They're alienating themselves from the rest of the industry... You thought the Gamecube had a little bit of 3rd party support? Ha! This will be 10x worse.

Nintendo's gonna pull the same crap... You'll buy a Revolution if you want first party games and that's all it's good for.

Motion
02-07-2006, 10:56 AM
But if Microsoft does their "classic" arcade downloads right, I will just stick w/ the 360.

:lol: Sorry that just made me laugh. What "classic" MS games woul you be refering too?

mor911
02-07-2006, 11:24 AM
:lol: Sorry that just made me laugh. What "classic" MS games woul you be refering too?
Classic arcade downloads (Streeet Fighter 2, Tempest 2000 and crap like that), there are no classic Microsoft games.... Flight Simulator? :sidelol:

Adam First
02-07-2006, 11:52 AM
Nintendo fanboys probly took that as a dis or something.

Most Nintendo fanboys would riot the streets on something like that...well, the Nintendo fanboys I know... :shakeno:

mor911
02-07-2006, 11:56 AM
Most Nintendo fanboys would riot the streets on something like that...well, the Nintendo fanboys I know... :shakeno:
:sidelol:

You're so right.

darkmistress
02-07-2006, 05:26 PM
Peter Moore: [Laughs] For Miyamoto-san...well, I don't have a Ferrari to give up. I'd give up J's Ferrari again. I have five cars. Most of them are owned by my wife and kids, but I think I'd probably give 'em all up for Miyamoto-san. I'm a huge fan, and I share J's desire that one day he will bring his incredible content and his incredible vision for what gaming should be to the Xbox. Yeah, I'd give up all of my cars. Might give up my house, too, if I could get it reimbursed back on my expenses. [Laughs] I'm not sure that would happen.

:chuckle: sounds like some shady business dealings are going on up top...

I wish nintendo would stop trying to be innovative... I love Zelda so will probably be getting a revolution, but I'll be damned if I'm going to play it using that controller :refuse:

PassRush
02-09-2006, 02:18 AM
Personaly I like the Revo contoler, It will probably lead to the systems early demise since origionality is not respected in todays market but I bet those who try it will fall in love with it

TrueDolFan
02-09-2006, 02:54 PM
Admin Edit:Calling everyone on here ******* and nuthuggers of a company because they don't like a control is an attack. Please refrain from going off like that again. You can make your point without having to resort to name calling, especially when Nobody was antagonizing you on this thread.

I think all of you people here either forgot, or for you young'uns - never knew, that you would still be playing video games with a joystick if it wasn't for the fact that Nintendo revolutionized the video game industry with the D-pad. Then they revolutionized the industry with the analog stick.

Throughout the past 20+ years, other companies have stolen Nintendo's innovations in video game controllers, and used them on their systems. If you think Sony is to thank for their PS1 & PS2 controller designs, you obviously haven't ever played a Super Nintendo.

I hear you people all saying how the Revolution's controller sucks, and you wouldn't play with it. I've heard it all before. I heard the same type of claims from idiots back when the 64 was released, "I'll never play with that stupid analog thing", and "that's the dumbest idea I've ever seen, I won't play with that". Those ******s are now playing video games with imitations of (on your Sony or Microsoft system) the very thing that they couldn't understand in the mid '90s.

You ******s will, sometime in the near future, undoubtedly be playing with a controller similar to the one Nintendo invented for the Revolution. You'll probably And when you do, you probably won't even give Nintendo the credit they deserve for inventing it so your precious Sony could rip it off!

All I see is a bunch of Sony and Microsoft nut-huggers out here bashing Nintendo. You kids obviously don't know what to think about a revolutionary idea in the video game industry. Don't knock it 'till you try it.

mor911
02-09-2006, 03:39 PM
I think all of you people here either forgot, or for you young'uns - never knew, that you would still be playing video games with a joystick if it wasn't for the fact that Nintendo revolutionized the video game industry with the D-pad. Then they revolutionized the industry with the analog stick.

Throughout the past 20+ years, other companies have stolen Nintendo's innovations in video game controllers, and used them on their systems. If you think Sony is to thank for their PS1 & PS2 controller designs, you obviously haven't ever played a Super Nintendo.

I hear you people all saying how the Revolution's controller sucks, and you wouldn't play with it. I've heard it all before. I heard the same type of claims from idiots back when the 64 was released, "I'll never play with that stupid analog thing", and "that's the dumbest idea I've ever seen, I won't play with that". Those ******s are now playing video games with imitations of (on your Sony or Microsoft system) the very thing that they couldn't understand in the mid '90s.

You ******s will, sometime in the near future, undoubtedly be playing with a controller similar to the one Nintendo invented for the Revolution. You'll probably And when you do, you probably won't even give Nintendo the credit they deserve for inventing it so your precious Sony could rip it off!

All I see is a bunch of Sony and Microsoft nut-huggers out here bashing Nintendo. You kids obviously don't know what to think about a revolutionary idea in the video game industry. Don't knock it 'till you try it.
On that same note, don't jump Nintendo's bones til you try it.

You're blindly jumping on the bandwagon of a design that will alienate Nintendo from 3rd party vendors. If they wanted to use a gimmicky controller, so be it... But they're gonna make it so 3rd party developers will make the vast majority of their games for the other consoles (Sony and Microsoft). Nobody (in this thread at least) was being Sony or Microsoft "nut-huggers"... They were simply stating their opinion (which we are still aloud to have right) with the direction Nintendo has went with the controller.

I created this thread to talk about Bill Gates' words about Nintendo, not to have you come in her and thrash everyone with your childish words because your another upset fanboy.

TrueDolFan
02-10-2006, 11:04 AM
On that same note, don't jump Nintendo's bones til you try it.

You're blindly jumping on the bandwagon of a design that will alienate Nintendo from 3rd party vendors. If they wanted to use a gimmicky controller, so be it... But they're gonna make it so 3rd party developers will make the vast majority of their games for the other consoles (Sony and Microsoft). Nobody (in this thread at least) was being Sony or Microsoft "nut-huggers"... They were simply stating their opinion (which we are still aloud to have right) with the direction Nintendo has went with the controller.

I created this thread to talk about Bill Gates' words about Nintendo, not to have you come in her and thrash everyone with your childish words because your another upset fanboy.

I am NOT a Nintendo nut-hugger, I am a fan of ALL video games, regardless of platform. I simply wanted to remind people, or tell them for the first time, that it was Nintendo who created the innovations that you people all take for granted today.

What I'm saying is that nearly everybody on here (including yourself) is saying that Nintendo's idea for a new style of controller is crap.
If you understood my previous post, you would see that I am upset at the close-mindedness of the kids that post here, that's all. Most of these people who are sounding off about how stupid the new controller is going to be, I feel, don't understand that the basic design of controllers that they are playing games with today was invented by Nintendo.

I see a lot of Sony and Microsoft nut-hugging going on in the forums, and it sickens me when people are badmouthing an idea that could possibly be the next big innovation in video gaming. I heard this badmouthing of Nintendo time and again in the past. Then when comapny X rips off the design, and puts it onto one of their controllers, I hear the praises of company X. It's ridiculous!!

I know (you should, too, Mor), that innovation is the reason why we all play video games. I have reason to believe that, based on history, the people badmouthing the Revolution's controller will be eating their words, simply based on history. I hear what you're saying about "don't jump their bones until you try it". But, historically, Nintendo's new controllers have done nothing but totally revolutionize gaming as we know it. That is a fact that noone can argue.

Motion
02-10-2006, 11:25 AM
Such hostility in here :D

I like the REvolution's controller personally. And I agree Nintendo doesn't get the credit they deserve alot of the time, i.e. Analog and Vibration.

mor911
02-10-2006, 11:26 AM
I am NOT a Nintendo nut-hugger, I am a fan of ALL video games, regardless of platform. I simply wanted to remind people, or tell them for the first time, that it was Nintendo who created the innovations that you people all take for granted today.

What I'm saying is that nearly everybody on here (including yourself) is saying that Nintendo's idea for a new style of controller is crap.
If you understood my previous post, you would see that I am upset at the close-mindedness of the kids that post here, that's all. Most of these people who are sounding off about how stupid the new controller is going to be, I feel, don't understand that the basic design of controllers that they are playing games with today was invented by Nintendo.

I see a lot of Sony and Microsoft nut-hugging going on in the forums, and it sickens me when people are badmouthing an idea that could possibly be the next big innovation in video gaming. I heard this badmouthing of Nintendo time and again in the past. Then when comapny X rips off the design, and puts it onto one of their controllers, I hear the praises of company X. It's ridiculous!!

I know (you should, too, Mor), that innovation is the reason why we all play video games. I have reason to believe that, based on history, the people badmouthing the Revolution's controller will be eating their words, simply based on history. I hear what you're saying about "don't jump their bones until you try it". But, historically, Nintendo's new controllers have done nothing but totally revolutionize gaming as we know it. That is a fact that noone can argue.
I do agree with you that Nintendo is a great innovator in the Video games industry. But along with their great feats, they also have their Virtual Boys, their Power Gloves, and their Gamecube... While people will argue the Gamecube to death, the truth is... The GC controller only works for games made by Nintendo. I own a Gamecube and only play Nintendo made games on it.

That's not fair that you make a controller that doesn't work for anyone but yourself. I see the Revolution doing the same thing. The Revolution controller and the SNES controller aren't even in the same league. The SNES controller was well rounded and can be used to do anything. The Revolution controller will only be able to be used with Nintendo-made gimmicks... Kind of like the DS (I have on of those too).

I'm simply stating that in my honest to god opinion, the Revolution controller is a bad idea... People thought the GC controller alienated developers.... That's nothing.

In all fairness, I hope the big N knows what they're doing... But I am willing to bet that the reason most people buy a Revolution will have nothing to do with Revolution games... Retro games.

Motion
02-10-2006, 11:36 AM
I do agree with you that Nintendo is a great innovator in the Video games industry. But along with their great feats, they also have their Virtual Boys, their Power Gloves.

I know you just didn't knock THE GLOVE! how many video game controllers have been featured in movies?!?!?! :goof:

mor911
02-10-2006, 11:59 AM
I know you just didn't knock THE GLOVE! how many video game controllers have been featured in movies?!?!?! :goof:
:sidelol:

TrueDolFan
02-10-2006, 12:01 PM
I do agree with you that Nintendo is a great innovator in the Video games industry. But along with their great feats, they also have their Virtual Boys, their Power Gloves, and their Gamecube... While people will argue the Gamecube to death, the truth is... The GC controller only works for games made by Nintendo. I own a Gamecube and only play Nintendo made games on it.

That's not fair that you make a controller that doesn't work for anyone but yourself. I see the Revolution doing the same thing. The Revolution controller and the SNES controller aren't even in the same league. The SNES controller was well rounded and can be used to do anything. The Revolution controller will only be able to be used with Nintendo-made gimmicks... Kind of like the DS (I have on of those too).

I'm simply stating that in my honest to god opinion, the Revolution controller is a bad idea... People thought the GC controller alienated developers.... That's nothing.

In all fairness, I hope the big N knows what they're doing... But I am willing to bet that the reason most people buy a Revolution will have nothing to do with Revolution games... Retro games.

The retro games thing will be a major selling point, at first. But I'm willing to bet that Nintendo DOES know what they're doing. With it's unique controller, and possibility of exclusive games that could only be played on the Revolution, (if those games are big enough hits) I think that the Revolution has the potential to bring Nintendo back to greatness.

Do you think Nintendo would think about making a second "standard" type of controller to appease the masses? It might not be a bad idea for them to do so, then maybe the 3rd party developers could churn out cookie-cutter, crap games for the Revolution like they do for every other system! Not that there's anything wrong with that. People love crap, and they always will.

mor911
02-10-2006, 12:35 PM
The retro games thing will be a major selling point, at first. But I'm willing to bet that Nintendo DOES know what they're doing. With it's unique controller, and possibility of exclusive games that could only be played on the Revolution, (if those games are big enough hits) I think that the Revolution has the potential to bring Nintendo back to greatness.

Do you think Nintendo would think about making a second "standard" type of controller to appease the masses? It might not be a bad idea for them to do so, then maybe the 3rd party developers could churn out cookie-cutter, crap games for the Revolution like they do for every other system! Not that there's anything wrong with that. People love crap, and they always will.
This is what saddens me about Nintendo. I grew up on them. It took me a long time to swallow my pride and say, "Yes, the PS1 is a better system than the N64..." The PS2 and Xbox are both far superior systems than the GC... If anything, for the fact that you have software to choose from.

The truth is, there's 3 reasons the GC even sold as much as it did. Zelda, Mario, and Metroid. I spent $150 (at the time) for 3 IPs. It shouldn't be that way, but it is because the GC controller is not 3rd party friendly. It's going to be the same story (worse even I think) with the Revolution. At least the Revolution's got emulators... oops, I mean retro games to offer. I hope they don't over price those too. If the retro games are priced anything like the "retro" releases for GBA a few years ago, $20 for Bomberman 1 is WAY too much.

I'm sure the Revolution will sell systems. But Sony and Microsoft will still be the kings of consoles (which one? I'm not sure). But the Revolution will sell systems for the same 3 reasons the gamecube did.

NOTE -- Nintendo did bring out the analog stick, but Sony did it right. A lot of companies in history have come up with innovations and fail. Just because Nintendo came up with an idea doesn't mean the implemented it correctly.

TrueDolFan
02-10-2006, 12:47 PM
The truth is, there's 3 reasons the GC even sold as much as it did. Zelda, Mario, and Metroid. I spent $150 (at the time) for 3 IPs.
I'm sure the Revolution will sell systems. But Sony and Microsoft will still be the kings of consoles (which one? I'm not sure). But the Revolution will sell systems for the same 3 reasons the gamecube did.

NOTE -- Nintendo did bring out the analog stick, but Sony did it right. A lot of companies in history have come up with innovations and fail. Just because Nintendo came up with an idea doesn't mean the implemented it correctly.

I think you may be right about the 3 reasons. That's why I bought a Gamecube, and that's why I'll buy a Revolution.
I disagree with you about the Sony doing it right comment. I think the analog stick itself on the Gamecube is FAR superior than the PS2's. It's the big A button (and the other button configuration) thing holding down the GCN controller.
You can't deny, that if this new Revolution controller turns out to be the next big thing in gaming, that Nintendo could forseeably climb out of the cellar and trade punches with the current champs.

TrueDolFan
02-10-2006, 12:58 PM
This is what saddens me about Nintendo. I grew up on them. It took me a long time to swallow my pride and say, "Yes, the PS1 is a better system than the N64..." The PS2 and Xbox are both far superior systems than the GC... If anything, for the fact that you have software to choose from.

But it's the GAMES that make the systems, not the other way around. To a guy like me, raw processing power doesn't make a system better than another. Name 1 game on PS1, PS2, or X-Box that is better than Zelda. You can't do it. To say otherwise would be a baldfaced lie. I will always buy a Nintendo made system, because I want to play Zelda, Mario, and Metroid. I play my Maddens, and various other games on the PS2. I can live without Madden, but an existence without Zelda is incomprehensible!

mor911
02-10-2006, 01:00 PM
I think you may be right about the 3 reasons. That's why I bought a Gamecube, and that's why I'll buy a Revolution.
I disagree with you about the Sony doing it right comment. I think the analog stick itself on the Gamecube is FAR superior than the PS2's. It's the big A button (and the other button configuration) thing holding down the GCN controller.
You can't deny, that if this new Revolution controller turns out to be the next big thing in gaming, that Nintendo could forseeably climb out of the cellar and trade punches with the current champs.
The problem with the GC controller is definitely the A button. The analog done right comment was towards the oroginator of the analog stick (N64 controller) versus Sony's Dual Shock. I don't know what the big N was thinking when they decided on the GCs button layout.

If the Revolution's controller is a big hit with developers, I still don't think it'll be enough to put them above Microsoft or Sony. They are too big, and they are far to easy to make games for. In this situation, Microsoft or Sony will probly just do what happened with the analog stick. Copy it, and make it more usable and not so.... weird. If the Revolution's controller is a hit, by year 2009, there will be Sony and Xbox 360 controller's launching with similar features and it will probly do better than the Revolution.

Let's face it. I think having gyros and motion detection in a controller is a great idea.... But why'd they make it shaped like a remote and why do you have to use these add-ons? It's just too gimmicky for me to look forward to.

UltraDol-Fan
02-10-2006, 01:22 PM
I don't know what the big N was thinking when they decided on the GCs button layout.

I do, they were thinking about their target audience, which is younger kids. Kids don't always do well with multi button controllers, and as a consequence of that they made a controller with easy access to the main button.

And I know when listing off great games for GC you didn't leave off Super Smash Bros. Melee!!! :fire:

mor911
02-10-2006, 02:28 PM
I do, they were thinking about their target audience, which is younger kids. Kids don't always do well with multi button controllers, and as a consequence of that they made a controller with easy access to the main button.

And I know when listing off great games for GC you didn't leave off Super Smash Bros. Melee!!! :fire:
:lol:

It's still another Mario/Metroid/Zelda spin-off.

UltraDol-Fan
02-10-2006, 03:23 PM
:lol:

It's still another Mario/Metroid/Zelda spin-off.

okay, okay. I can't stay mad :dolphins:

TrueDolFan
02-10-2006, 03:57 PM
Let's face it. I think having gyros and motion detection in a controller is a great idea.... But why'd they make it shaped like a remote and why do you have to use these add-ons? It's just too gimmicky for me to look forward to.

Maybe it is just a gimmick. But what if it's not? What if Nintendo is on to something here, and this new controller opens up a whole new world of gaming possibilities that would never be available on a standard controller? You gotta admit, Shigeru Miyamoto is a GENIUS. He is responsible for more great video games and innovations than any other video game creator on the planet. I refuse to believe that he is off his rocker on this. The man knows what he's doing, and I have faith that his new controller design won't be just a crappy gimmick.

TrueDolFan
02-10-2006, 04:17 PM
How did I all of a sudden get the title of thread starter, when it was The Mor?

mor911
02-10-2006, 04:38 PM
Maybe it is just a gimmick. But what if it's not? What if Nintendo is on to something here, and this new controller opens up a whole new world of gaming possibilities that would never be available on a standard controller? You gotta admit, Shigeru Miyamoto is a GENIUS. He is responsible for more great video games and innovations than any other video game creator on the planet. I refuse to believe that he is off his rocker on this. The man knows what he's doing, and I have faith that his new controller design won't be just a crappy gimmick.
While I will say he's one of the greats, I feel like he's probly stuck in the past. He needs to evolve.

Mario - Honestly, who really thought Mario Sunshine was a great game worth $50? Who thinks any of the 10,000 Mario spin-offs are great games.

Metroid - IMO ruined by 3D. They turned it into an FPS, and a bad one at that. The GCs controller keep it from being a serious FPS. It's a fun game... But Super Metroid it isn't. On that note, the GBA Metroids were excellent... But this is about the Revolution right?

Zelda - The Big N's last big money maker... Windwaker was a disaster to me. When you got to the point of the game where you just sailed around looking for the pieces of the triforce, it was just boring. If they screw this next one up, they're finished.

Nobody wants to admit it, and Miyamoto is too old school and stuck to his roots to try it, but Nintendo needs some new IPs. They need a new character or game.... Mario is not the poster child of video games anymore. Miyamoto needs to realize this and stop thinking that a system will be number one in the market with 2 Zeldas, 2 Metroids, and a Mario with 20 spin-offs. You need something new, and you need 3rd party developers.

TrueDolFan
02-10-2006, 05:04 PM
While I will say he's one of the greats, I feel like he's probly stuck in the past. He needs to evolve.

Mario - Honestly, who really thought Mario Sunshine was a great game worth $50? Who thinks any of the 10,000 Mario spin-offs are great games.

Metroid - IMO ruined by 3D. They turned it into an FPS, and a bad one at that. The GCs controller keep it from being a serious FPS. It's a fun game... But Super Metroid it isn't. On that note, the GBA Metroids were excellent... But this is about the Revolution right?

Zelda - The Big N's last big money maker... Windwaker was a disaster to me. When you got to the point of the game where you just sailed around looking for the pieces of the triforce, it was just boring. If they screw this next one up, they're finished.

Nobody wants to admit it, and Miyamoto is too old school and stuck to his roots to try it, but Nintendo needs some new IPs. They need a new character or game.... Mario is not the poster child of video games anymore. Miyamoto needs to realize this and stop thinking that a system will be number one in the market with 2 Zeldas, 2 Metroids, and a Mario with 20 spin-offs. You need something new, and you need 3rd party developers.

BLASPHEMY!! lol!
I will agree with you on Super Mario Sunshine.

Metroid Prime is the only FPS I have been able to play without wanting to vomit. I LOATHE FPS games, with the exception of Metroid Prime. FPS games are one of the main reasons why I say "people love crap, and they always will". Nothing is less fun to me than a cookie-cutter, run from point A to point B shooting things FPS. I'm from the old school. I want more than "missions", I want Bosses!!

I'll agree with you that the part of Wind Waker where you had to find the Triforce pieces was a little boring, but that doesn't mean the game wasn't great! You just wait until Twilight Princess comes out!!

I also agree with you that Nintendo needs more support from 3rd party developers. Things started to go south for Nintendo after they burned their bridges with Square. While Nintendo's first-party games are, in my opinion, the best in the industry, 3rd party developers should not be ignored.

mor911
02-10-2006, 05:19 PM
Ok, I was probably a little too harsh on Windwaker... It was a great game. But instead of sailing the boring sea looking for tri forces, why couldn't they give us more of what we actually want from a Zelda game... Dungeons.

NOTE -- Minish Cap for the GBA is top quality Zelda at it's best. 2D baby.

TrueDolFan
02-10-2006, 05:33 PM
Ok, I was probably a little too harsh on Windwaker... It was a great game. But instead of sailing the boring sea looking for tri forces, why couldn't they give us more of what we actually want from a Zelda game... Dungeons.

NOTE -- Minish Cap for the GBA is top quality Zelda at it's best. 2D baby.

They had to have a reason the world was so big. They had to put SOMETHING on all those little islands! That's the only reason I can think of as to why they did what they did.
Minish Cap IS sweet, you are correct, sir.