PDA

View Full Version : Need Help With Something ASAP

Agent51
02-08-2006, 08:33 PM
OK guys, here's my problem:

A friend and I are trying to book a trip. Problem is, I lost my wallet and canceled all my credit cards, so I have no credit cards right now, and she is addicted to shopping so she has no credit cards so she doesn't put herself in debt, lol. We both have Debit cards, which they SAY are like credit cards you just have to have the money in your bank. Well that is all fine and dandy, I have PLENTY of money in my bank, except the problem with booking the trip with a debit card is that debit cards apparently have a $1,000 spending limit a day. I think that is completely idiotic since a debit card comes right from your checking, so if you have that much in your account and it is immediately taken out, WHY is there a limit? Anyway, there is, so there goes THAT idea. Then we figured she'd ask her mom to put it on one of her credit cards and we'd just give her the cash right then and there. Well, her mom is one of those "I don't want my credit card on the internet" people so that failed miserably. Then she asked her sister. At first her sister wasn't really going for it because she thoiught we meant she books it and we pay her later, but when we clarified that we meant we'd give her the cash like today, or tomorrow, she agreed. Then 20 minutes later she called back and had changed her mind because "she will be applying for a mortgage soon and just charged $4,000 to her CC to fix her car and even though she has like $3,000 left to use on her card she doesn't wanna do it because she thinks the bank will think she is irresponsible and not give her a mortgage because she just charged like $6,000 to her card in a month".

So my dilemma/question is this: DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY IDEAS ON HOW I CAN BOOK THIS DAMN TRIP ONLINE?!?!?!?!?!? We went to travel agencies thinking we could just pay cash or check but they are seriously almost DOUBLE what we found online and for less hotels. We found 4 star hotels with airfare and rental car for 7 days that are cheaper than what the travel agency wanted for JUST a 2 1/2 star hotel and airfare, not even a rental car!. I was thinking paypal, because all of the online sites like Hotwire, Priceline etc etc accept it, but I have heard some Paypal horror stories and don't wanna drop like $2,000 on booking a trip using Pay Pal only to be screwed over by them. Does anyone recomend PayPal or think it's an OK way to go, or have ANY other ideas? Any healp/feedback would be GREATLY appreciated, airfare is rising fast so we need to book it within the next few days.

mor911
02-08-2006, 08:47 PM
I hope she's worth it... :mor911:

j/k -- The Mor has no clue. Good luck to you though

Agent51
02-08-2006, 08:56 PM
I hope she's worth it... :mor911:

j/k -- The Mor has no clue. Good luck to you though

LOL, it isn't like that Mor, we are just friends, I'm headed on a surf trip and it's to a place she always wanted to go so I PROMISED her she could come with me, she's paying for her half. I had the trip planned for awhile but it's time to book it and I lost my credit cards so I can't book, and now all alternate methods I have thought of have failed, lollol. I'm thinking of just sucking it up and trying it the Pay Pal way. I wish travel sites had a thing were you could do check over the internet, like how some places you call up to order something and you gove them your routing number instead of a credit card? That would make things SOOO much easier.

dolphan117
02-08-2006, 09:03 PM
Is there any way you can get the credit card company to rush you new cards or did the theft screw your credit all up? If you have good credit you might be able to get a card pretty quickly from anther credit card company too. Even if it has a terrible interest rate you could just use it to book the trip, pay it off right away, and then cancel the card.
As to paypal, I haven't used it but I have friends that have and they liked it so I don't know. :confused2
Someone at your bank might be able to help you as well.

mor911
02-08-2006, 09:05 PM
Call the website who you're trying to buy from... Usually they'll let you do an ACH bank transfer. It's pretty much a direct debit to your account. My company charges people that way ALL of the time.

Emskirch
02-08-2006, 09:09 PM
Call the bank, they can raise the max limit for spending; I have a debit card, they did this for me when I decided to go to Fort Lauderdale for Hurricane Wilma, that was a wonderful trip.... grrrrr.

Buddwalk
02-08-2006, 09:14 PM
LOL, it isn't like that Mor, we are just friends, I'm headed on a surf trip and it's to a place she always wanted to go so I PROMISED her she could come with me, she's paying for her half. I had the trip planned for awhile but it's time to book it and I lost my credit cards so I can't book, and now all alternate methods I have thought of have failed, lollol. I'm thinking of just sucking it up and trying it the Pay Pal way. I wish travel sites had a thing were you could do check over the internet, like how some places you call up to order something and you gove them your routing number instead of a credit card? That would make things SOOO much easier.

I bet shes gonna be surprised when you try and sleep with her :wink:

Agent51
02-08-2006, 09:20 PM
Call the website who you're trying to buy from... Usually they'll let you do an ACH bank transfer. It's pretty much a direct debit to your account. My company charges people that way ALL of the time.

Hmmm, good idea Mor, while I didn't see anything on the sites for that it can't hurt to call and ask. Just curious, what does ACH stand for? It's prolly obvious and I'll feel like a moron when you tell me, lol, but oh well.

Dolphan: As far as replacing the credit cards goes, I'll have no problem getting new ones, the only problem is I need new accounts and they need to make and send new cards, which takes about two weeks at the least, depending on how fast i can get through to customer service and if I get someone who speaks english, and unfourtunately the plane tickets are rising fast, lol, they went up $112 in just 5 days. Same thing goes for applying for a new one, they all take time to come in, and in this situation, time really is money, lol. The rising price doesn't really effect me cuz I can afford it, but it does effect her.

mor911
02-08-2006, 09:23 PM
You know I have no clue....

Agent51
02-08-2006, 09:26 PM
I bet shes gonna be surprised when you try and sleep with her :wink:

I've already slept with her, lol, she is a friend with benifits, haha, but we don't date or anything and there is no "feelings" involved, just friends that hook up sometimes. You know how sometimes friends with benifits works and sometimes it fails horribly, lol, either you get pissed when they hook up with another person or they get pissed/upset at you for doing it? This isn't like that, we can hook up but at the same time we can talk about hooking up with other people and be fine, we have even double dated before, which is cool cuz you can't do that with a lot of girls you hook up with, lol.

Anyway, I'll try the bank transfer thing Mor suggested, and I'll also call the bank about raising the limit on my debit, if for some reason thos eshouldn;t work, does anyone have enough experience with PayPal to le tme know if a transaction that big is worth it or not? I don't wanna try and then have em screw it up and spend like a year trying to get our money back, lol.

Buddwalk
02-08-2006, 09:27 PM
I've already slept with her, lol, she is a friend with benifits, haha, but we don't date or anything and there is no "feelings" involved, just friends that hook up sometimes. You know how sometimes friends with benifits works and sometimes it fails horribly, lol, either you get pissed when they hook up with another person or they get pissed/upset at you for doing it? This isn't like that, we can hook up but at the same time we can talk about hooking up with other people and be fine, we have even double dated before, which is cool cuz you can't do that with a lot of girls you hook up with, lol.

Anyway, I'll try the bank transfer thing Mor suggested, and I'll also call the bank about raising the limit on my debit, if for some reason thos eshouldn;t work, does anyone have enough experience with PayPal to le tme know if a transaction that big is worth it or not? I don't wanna try and then have em screw it up and spend like a year trying to get our money back, lol.

Friends with Benifits are Awesome :yes:

Agent51
02-08-2006, 09:28 PM
You know I have no clue....

:sidelol: I have NO IDEA why, but that cracked me up. I'm thinking maybe Automatic CHecking or soemthing like that? :huh: :confused2

Agent51
02-08-2006, 09:29 PM
Friends with Benifits are Awesome :yes:

Yea, only if you get the ones that REALLY are friends with benifits and don't develope feelings/jealousy when you hook up with other chicks.

Buddwalk
02-08-2006, 09:30 PM
:sidelol: I have NO IDEA why, but that cracked me up. I'm thinking maybe Automatic CHecking or soemthing like that? :huh: :confused2

Wait i got an idea...you live in hawaii which is an island, just put the damn money in a bottle and throw it in the ocean...they'll get it some time

Agent51
02-08-2006, 09:31 PM
Wait i got an idea...you live in hawaii which is an island, just put the damn money in a bottle and throw it in the ocean...they'll get it some time

LOL< but then they need to mail me my tickets and reservation info, so I'd be waiting just as long to get it back, haha

Buddwalk
02-08-2006, 09:33 PM
LOL< but then they need to mail me my tickets and reservation info, so I'd be waiting just as long to get it back, haha

Thats why you tie a really long string to your bottle so whenever you get your tickets you just pull the bottle back in and you'll have free tickets Vwalah

Agent51
02-08-2006, 09:37 PM
Thats why you tie a really long string to your bottle so whenever you get your tickets you just pull the bottle back in and you'll have free tickets Vwalah

I admire you're ambition, lol, you're gonna go places in life. I see CEO in your future, very cutthroat, I like it.

Buddwalk
02-08-2006, 09:38 PM
I admire you're ambition, lol, you're gonna go places in life. I see CEO in your future, very cutthroat, I like it.

:wink: :wink: :wink:

CharlestonPhan
02-08-2006, 10:04 PM
Call the bank, they can raise the max limit for spending; I have a debit card, they did this for me when I decided to go to Fort Lauderdale for Hurricane Wilma, that was a wonderful trip.... grrrrr.

yep..i used to work in a bank... they dont like to do it, for fraud protection, but they can.

Agent51
02-08-2006, 10:23 PM
yep..i used to work in a bank... they dont like to do it, for fraud protection, but they can.

really, do you just call and ask em to raise it or should I tell em I wanna book a trip as the reason or what, what advice do you have that would make it quick and painless, lol. Also, how much do they raise it by? Thanks for the info man.

Emskirch
02-09-2006, 07:26 AM
really, do you just call and ask em to raise it or should I tell em I wanna book a trip as the reason or what, what advice do you have that would make it quick and painless, lol. Also, how much do they raise it by? Thanks for the info man.

Tell them you want to book a trip and you need it raised to such and such, they can do it for that one day. They will raise it for the amount you have in the bank. My max limit is $1000, but they raised it for two weeks to $8,000 because we were supposed to be on a cruise. They may give you some flack, if they do, tell them you may have to take your banking elsewhere if they can't assist you. Believe me, they will do it.

Agent51
02-09-2006, 01:31 PM
Tell them you want to book a trip and you need it raised to such and such, they can do it for that one day. They will raise it for the amount you have in the bank. My max limit is $1000, but they raised it for two weeks to $8,000 because we were supposed to be on a cruise. They may give you some flack, if they do, tell them you may have to take your banking elsewhere if they can't assist you. Believe me, they will do it.

Thanks for the help, thanks EVERYONE for the suggestions actually.

I ended up booking the trip. When I went to work I ended up letting my boss know my problem, just telling him cuz he asked how I was doin and stuff and I told him I'm sressed cuz of losing all my credit cards and IDs and stuff and then the whole trip thing and he goes "oh, no problem, shoulda told me sooner, have Max watch the bar and come with me." SO I tell the other bartender I'll be right back, since it was pretty slow anyway, and we go to his office and he is like "what website were you looking at?" And I'm like "Hotwire was the cheapest." So he goes "WHy are you looking for the cheapest, you make DAMN good money here, and I KNOW you're not a cheapskate Jason, I've seen your expensive tastes, haha" So I told him that the price didn't matter to me but I have a friend coming that is paying for her own trip and she is on a budget. My boss ws like "SHE huh? WHo's the flavor of the week this time Jason?" And I was like "haha, it's not like that, she's just a friend...........with benifits." My boss was cracking up and goes "Jason, EVERY girl you meet is a 'friend with benifits'". Then he says "is she hot?" And I'm like, yeah, she pretty good and he asks the 1-10 scale question, so I say 8-8 1/2, 9 when she "fully dolled up" lol. So my boss goes "Hmmm, 8-9 huh, I've seen how picky you are with your girls, so if this one gets that good a rating she MUST be smokin, tell ya what, I'm gonna put it on my card for you, and this economy class is NONSENSE Jason, I'm booking you guys first class, and since there are no 5 star hotels that I can see there, you are getting a 4 star hotel, I won't have any of this economy class and 2 star hotel BS Jason, I thought you knew how to spend money?" So I'm like "I DO, like I said, she was REFUSING to let me pay for her, and she is on a budget" And my boss is like "well, not anymore, you're not going to SPAIN, with soe girl that you rate that high, and first of all letting her pay, nevermind stayig in some ****ty hotel." I'm just like, ok, uh, thanks? And he is like, no problem, you've been a good employee, brought a lot of business and you always seem to make the staff and I laugh, and you always seem to get the customers going when it's a dead or lame night, I appreciate that, I ike that quality, so here's a gift from me to you, but next time you gotta pay for the chick man! You must have some good skills if you've got a hot girl going to spain with you AND she is paying for herself! HAHAHA, not even I could pull that off in my heyday." So I said "Again, not like that, we've been friends for years, and we just hook up, we don't date, never have, never will, she REFUSD to let me pay." He was like "I know man, I'm just bustin your balls, anyway, lets book this" And then he whips out his black AMEX card (I want one of those, lol) and books us 2 first class plane tickets and 10 nights in a 4 star hotel/resort! The price almost TRIPLED what we were going to originally pay, lol. She freaked out when I told her, lol, she has never flown first class OR stayed in a super nice hotel. It wasn't a big deal to me cuz I always fly first class and since MOST of my travel is for surfing I'm usually always at a camp or on a boat or a surfers retreat, I'm usually never in a hotel, and since this is a surf trip (for me anyway) then fancy hotel doesn't mean much to me since I will hardly be there, lol.

Anyway, I'm overtired since its 7:26am here in Hawai'i and I haven't been to sleep yet after working all night and I'm rambling now, haha, but thanks to everyone who offered suggestions and to Budd, who inspired me to put a message in a bottle and throw it in the ocean. I was a bit tipsy after work (it's wearin off now) since we are allowed to do shots with customers, and I was leaving and I'm like, hey, I'm gonna put a message in a bottle and throw it in the water cuz I've never done that (again, I had been drinking, other than that, I have no excuses, :lol: ) So I wrote "Mista Mista, GET ME OUGHTTA HERE!!!!" (yes, it's from Happy Gilmore, lol) and I put it in a Corona bottle, banged the cap back on and duct taped around the cap so no water would get in, and I tossed it in the ocean. Haha, I'm rambling again, I need sleep, late

mor911
02-09-2006, 01:38 PM
Now that's a cool boss. Wow.