PDA

View Full Version : ISO Files Help

Agent51
02-10-2006, 05:47 PM
I have a question. If I download something that is an ISO file, how the hell do I run it? Like say I was DLing a game or a program and it's a .iso file, what do I do with it once the downlowd is completed in order to run the game/program?

UltraDol-Fan
02-10-2006, 05:50 PM
this should clear it up

http://www.help2go.com/postp22621.html

SCall13
02-10-2006, 05:54 PM
Usually when I download an .iso file, I burn it onto a disk. When you re-insert the disk with the .iso file on it, it should kick in the installation process.

Agent51
02-10-2006, 06:03 PM
Usually when I download an .iso file, I burn it onto a disk. When you re-insert the disk with the .iso file on it, it should kick in the installation process.

So I would just burn the file to a CD (data I'm assuming) and then take it out, put it back in, and it should go from there just like it's an actual disk out of the box?

mor911
02-10-2006, 06:06 PM
You got two options:

1. You can use a program like Daemon Tools (http://www.daemon-tools.cc/dtcc/download.php) and mount the ISO file. Daemon Tools is a program that creates a virtual CD/DVD drive on your machine. When you mount the ISO, you fool your PC into thinking the ISO file is the real CD and is in a real drive.

2. Use a program to burn the ISO to an actaul DVD or CD. Nero, Easy CD Creator, and Alcohol 120% should all be able to do this.

:mor911:

Agent51
02-10-2006, 06:13 PM
You got two options:

1. You can use a program like Daemon Tools (http://www.daemon-tools.cc/dtcc/download.php) and mount the ISO file. Daemon Tools is a program that creates a virtual CD/DVD drive on your machine. When you mount the ISO, you fool your PC into thinking the ISO file is the real CD and is in a real drive.

2. Use a program to burn the ISO to an actaul DVD or CD. Nero, Easy CD Creator, and Alcohol 120% should all be able to do this.

:mor911:

Thanks Mor, I'll check out the Daemon Tools program, but if I were to do it the CD burning way, I creat a data CD or what type would it be?

Agent51
02-10-2006, 06:25 PM
OK I got that prgram, now what the hell do I do with it? lol

FIN-IN-RI
02-10-2006, 08:33 PM
You should read the docs that came with the Daemon.. that should clear up your confusion..

If the .iso is just a prog (application) I would just extract the .iso using UltraISO or something and then run the setup exe..

If it's a game (and presumably you would have to use the CD/DVD to run it) and your having trouble burning it to a CD or DVD then Daemon Tools is your only option, if so, read up on the plentiful documentation and you should be good to go..

SCall13
02-10-2006, 11:08 PM
OK I got that prgram, now what the hell do I do with it? lol

You can use Sonic Record Now. After you download the program, game, or whatever you are downloading, right click and choose open with: Sonic Record Now. Obviously, it will auto-send the .iso file to the Sonic program. Then burn away. Then remove/re-insert disk. That may do it for you. It isn't always this easy. Some require other tools that are mentioned by some other posters on the thread.

I have a helluva time with bin. cue files. Movies for example: Apparently there is a way to burn bin cue files onto a regular CD and watch them on a DVD player. I'd prefer to transfer th bin cue file into DVD format and burn it, but I can't figure it out. So while we're on the subject, does anyone know??

SCall13
02-10-2006, 11:44 PM
This should be one of those continuous threads for helping with things such as this. If we put all of our heads together, we'll all be valuable to each other. SO if anyone else has any other questions or suggestions, throw 'em out here to us.....THANKS

FIN-IN-RI
02-11-2006, 11:51 AM
I have a helluva time with bin. cue files. Movies for example: Apparently there is a way to burn bin cue files onto a regular CD and watch them on a DVD player. I'd prefer to transfer th bin cue file into DVD format and burn it, but I can't figure it out. So while we're on the subject, does anyone know??

If it's a .cue file then you should be able to burn it onto a DVD with any program that supports burning .cue files. The only file that you need to burn is the.cue file, the .bin file is a small file which I believe (I could very possibly be wrong here) has the implicit instructions of what is on the .cue file and the sequence of how the .cue file gets burned onto the media.

.bin/.cue is just a compression method.. you don't need to convert the file into DVD format you just need a program to extract, if you will, and burn the contents of the .cue file onto your media choice.

SCall13
02-11-2006, 03:57 PM
If it's a .cue file then you should be able to burn it onto a DVD with any program that supports burning .cue files. The only file that you need to burn is the.cue file, the .bin file is a small file which I believe (I could very possibly be wrong here) has the implicit instructions of what is on the .cue file and the sequence of how the .cue file gets burned onto the media.

.bin/.cue is just a compression method.. you don't need to convert the file into DVD format you just need a program to extract, if you will, and burn the contents of the .cue file onto your media choice.

The .cue file is the smaller of the two. Both the .cue and the .bin have to be in the same folder to burn (and I have done this) but for whatever reason, when I try to burn it with Nero onto a DVD, it tells me it's not a supported format.

FIN-IN-RI
02-11-2006, 04:30 PM
The .cue file is the smaller of the two. Both the .cue and the .bin have to be in the same folder to burn (and I have done this) but for whatever reason, when I try to burn it with Nero onto a DVD, it tells me it's not a supported format.

Sorry bout that, I had the two mixed up. Same principle though.

You need a program like UltraISO or ISOpen to burn .bin/.cue files.

Agent51
02-11-2006, 06:57 PM
Thanks for the replies. It's a program, not a game. It's some Guitar Method program that my little brother wanted. Do you think the best way to go about it would be the CD way or trying to extract and install right to the computer?

FIN-IN-RI
02-11-2006, 07:18 PM
Thanks for the replies. It's a program, not a game. It's some Guitar Method program that my little brother wanted. Do you think the best way to go about it would be the CD way or trying to extract and install right to the computer?

I would try and extract the program and install it right to the computer first.

If you need more direct help, shoot me an IM.