PDA

View Full Version : Most under-rated NBA player

Motion
02-13-2006, 10:30 AM
Who do you think?

Mine is definitely Gilbert Arenas.

GreenMonster
02-13-2006, 11:04 AM
Mike Redd, Maurice Williams, Zaza Paulica, Carlos Delfino, Gerald Wallace...

UCFinfan86
02-13-2006, 12:41 PM
showing bias, i think Udonis Haslem.

Ferretsquig
02-13-2006, 02:47 PM
Always thought Arenas was one of the more overrated players out there. For underrated, I'll take Brevin Knight.

NJFINSFAN1
02-13-2006, 02:53 PM
Richard Jefferson

byroan
02-13-2006, 04:39 PM
Both Knight and Wallace, I think are underrated. If Wallace could stay healthy, he might get more respect. Knight is 4th in the league with assists, ahead of J-Kidd.

dominizzo
02-13-2006, 05:47 PM
The Most Underrated player is Rip HAmilton Gilbert Arenas JAson Richardson

Prime Time
02-13-2006, 06:12 PM
Caron Butler ;)

phunwin
02-13-2006, 08:01 PM
Arenas? I'm sorry, but getting snubbed for the all-star game doesn't make you underrated. Mike Redd, too.

I like the Gerald Wallace choice, and Brevin Knight, too. Eric Snow was a favorite underrated choice of mine for a long time, but his career's winding down quite a bit. Personally, I love point guards with high A/TO ratios. That, IMHO, is easily the most important stat for a point guard.

My choice right now, though? David West. Averaging almost 17 points and 8 boards a game. And unless you're a New Orleans/OKC fan, I'll bet money you didn't know that. I didn't; I had to look it up.

NJFINSFAN1
02-13-2006, 08:03 PM
Arenas? I'm sorry, but getting snubbed for the all-star game doesn't make you underrated. Mike Redd, too.

I like the Gerald Wallace choice, and Brevin Knight, too. Eric Snow was a favorite underrated choice of mine for a long time, but his career's winding down quite a bit. Personally, I love point guards with high A/TO ratios. That, IMHO, is easily the most important stat for a point guard.

My choice right now, though? David West. Averaging almost 17 points and 8 boards a game. And unless you're a New Orleans/OKC fan, I'll bet money you didn't know that. I didn't; I had to look it up.

No love for Jefferson?

wazzy
02-13-2006, 09:18 PM
Elton Brand I would say is one of the most under-rated players in the NBA hes helped turn the Clippers franchise around this season.

Rocky Raccoon
02-13-2006, 09:25 PM
Richard Hamilton and Chauncey Billups

King Felix
02-13-2006, 09:38 PM
zach randolph rashard lewis gilbert arenas

byroan
02-13-2006, 09:41 PM

Or own him in a fantasy league. :D

SMadison29
02-13-2006, 09:44 PM
Chris Paul, kid is simply amazing. He's already got the ROY in the bag.

Prime
02-13-2006, 09:48 PM

No doubt about it man.

King Felix
02-13-2006, 09:50 PM

he istn underated :confused::confused: :confused:

SMadison29
02-13-2006, 10:18 PM
he istn underated :confused::confused: :confused:

Sure he is. No love from ESPN. Snubbed from the all-star game. And he has to wear those ugly yellow jerseys.

Buddwalk
02-13-2006, 10:24 PM
Both Knight and Wallace, I think are underrated. If Wallace could stay healthy, he might get more respect. Knight is 4th in the league with assists, ahead of J-Kidd.]

:yeahthat:

Wallace could be an animal if he could stay healthy and knights about as good as a ""PG"" as your going to get

Roman529
02-13-2006, 11:17 PM
Most underrated.....Teyshawn Prince....always does all the dirty work and is clutch when he has to be....Chauncey and Hamilton get the limelight but Teyshawn does all the work.

Ronnie Bass
02-13-2006, 11:27 PM
No love for Jefferson?

When I saw the title of this thread he was the first one that came to mind, I'm with you on this 100%.

finsmx
02-13-2006, 11:50 PM
Eduardo Najera :wink:

dominizzo
02-14-2006, 05:05 AM
:sidelol:
Eduardo Najera :wink:

LMAo yaa ok

CalDolFan10x14
02-14-2006, 05:29 AM
Definitely Elton Brand. He's lead them to the fifth best record in the league right now! Who woulda thunk it?

phunwin
02-14-2006, 09:25 AM
No love for Jefferson?

Hasn't Jefferson previously been on the all-star team? I'm not calling anyone who's been on an all-star team underrated.

Motion
02-14-2006, 11:58 AM
Always thought Arenas was one of the more overrated players out there. For underrated, I'll take Brevin Knight.

Overrated??? How so? He's the 4th leading scorer in the league and you hardly ever hear about him. I live in MD and hardly ever hear about him!

Motion
02-14-2006, 11:59 AM
Arenas? I'm sorry, but getting snubbed for the all-star game doesn't make you underrated.

:shakeno: Right cause thats the only reason I think he is. Not to mention he is in th All-Star game now because of O'Neal's injury.

phunwin
02-14-2006, 12:27 PM
:shakeno: Right cause thats the only reason I think he is. Not to mention he is in th All-Star game now because of O'Neal's injury.

Then he's DEFINITELY not underrated!

I'm sorry, you can define underrated however you please. But if you're IN the all-star game, you're not underrated, in my book. Or at the very least, not as underrated as a guy like David West. Does Arenas get the credit he deserves? No, probably not. But he obviously gets enough respect, since he's now in the all-star game, and he gets talked up plenty. As much as he should? No, but again, if you want to define "underrated" as "not getting quite the share of publicity that you might deserve", then 95% of the NBA is underrated!

GreenMonster
02-14-2006, 12:31 PM
David West is quite underrated.. About a week ago I did the same double take at his stats that you did.. As a Bucks fan this same thing happened last year when I looked at Joel Przybilla's stats last year after a couple of starts..

Motion
02-14-2006, 12:33 PM
95% of the NBA is underrated!

I think 95% of the NBA is overrated personally, only team that actually plays as a team is Detroit and look where that gets them.

Ronnie Bass
02-14-2006, 01:35 PM
Hasn't Jefferson previously been on the all-star team? I'm not calling anyone who's been on an all-star team underrated.

No he never has.

But I don't understand why if a player has ever been to an All-Star game or not should determine if they are underrated or not. Especially since the voting for starters is done by clueless fans, many who stuff the ballot box.

Section126
02-14-2006, 02:22 PM
I think 95% of the NBA is overrated personally, only team that actually plays as a team is Detroit and look where that gets them.

On every show and on every segment on Sportcenter. What's your point? I am sick of hearing about the Pistons already.

Motion
02-14-2006, 02:24 PM
On every show and on every segment on Sportcenter. What's your point? I am sick of hearing about the Pistons already.

I was talking about Winning %. I was at a game last week and was amazed how much the guys on offense that don't have the ball just stand there and let the "superstar" do his thing. No fundamentals. THATS my point!

dominizzo
02-14-2006, 04:06 PM
I was talking about Winning %. I was at a game last week and was amazed how much the guys on offense that don't have the ball just stand there and let the "superstar" do his thing. No fundamentals. THATS my point!

Arenas is underrated but soon enough he wont be hes having back to back great seasons

NJFINSFAN1
02-14-2006, 04:09 PM

Nope he has not.

djfresh47
02-14-2006, 04:59 PM
Shawn Marion is a consistent All-star but I don't think he gets the publicity he deserves and he has the most awkward looking jump-shot IMO. Josh Howard and Marcus Camby are also underrated.

Cool Calm Mike
02-14-2006, 05:07 PM
Andrei Kirilenko and Mehmet Okur!

Straztheman
02-14-2006, 07:21 PM
The Pistons Rock

RalphX19X
02-14-2006, 07:31 PM
Gerald Wallace

dominizzo
02-14-2006, 09:14 PM
Andrei Kirilenko and Mehmet Okur!

big time im a utah jazz fan

Dolfan984
02-14-2006, 11:01 PM
David West and Jason Richardson

bullseyeguy
02-14-2006, 11:31 PM
Shawn Marion is a consistent All-star but I don't think he gets the publicity he deserves and he has the most awkward looking jump-shot IMO. Josh Howard and Marcus Camby are also underrated.
Yes, and I think Nash is underrated too, Sure he gets alot of respect, but there are alot of people out there who say he is just a product of the other players....

Prime Time
02-14-2006, 11:35 PM
Shawn Marion is another good one...

dreday
02-19-2006, 01:31 AM
Bruce Bowen.Good defensive player coming into his own on offensive side.

King Felix
02-19-2006, 01:37 AM

bruce bowen imo is one of the most overated players

doesnt play as good d as every1 says
horrid at fts

dreday
02-19-2006, 01:44 AM
bruce bowen imo is one of the most overated players

doesnt play as good d as every1 says
horrid at fts
That would make he whole Spurs team overrated if you talk about free-throws.Overrated is defintely something he is not.

djfresh47
02-19-2006, 04:13 AM
That would make he whole Spurs team overrated if you talk about free-throws.Overrated is defintely something he is not.

Bruce Bowen is a good role player, and fits in perfectly with San Antonio. I think he's given the credit he deserves. Ben Wallace is a bad free throw shooter, but nobody would call him overrated. The funny thing about Bowen and it's always brought up is that he is good 3-point shooter, but mainly from the corners. The Spurs are not overrated but I get your point, although I think they maybe underrated in terms of the great teams. Tim Duncan and the Spurs have the potential to win a few more rings, and while people are always looking for the next Jordan, they're missing out on the first Tim Duncan.

MelbournePhin
02-19-2006, 12:29 PM
dwight howard

Rixon
03-10-2006, 01:53 PM
Shawn Marion

Buddwalk
03-10-2006, 05:12 PM
Paul Pierce...hes a top 5 player in this league guys and Hes still getting no love

Hes having his beast season ever this year too

wazzy
03-10-2006, 05:24 PM
Paul Pierce...hes a top 5 player in this league guys and Hes still getting no love

Hes having his beast season ever this year too

I would say Paul Pierce if he actually played hard on Defense!

Buddwalk
03-10-2006, 05:31 PM
I would say Paul Pierce if he actually played hard on Defense!

You havnt seen pierce play this year have you...The guys just been solid all year on defense and offense. Definitely underrated...which Its hard to believe how good he is and still gets no respect. Playing for the celtics will do that to you though

They seriously need some front court help,

They got a good nucleus though with

Delonte West
Paul Pierce
Wally Szczerbiak

If Al Jefferson can ever play consistant and actually develop into the full player he could be this team could be deadly. Also Gerald Green has not been the player they've hoped he could be right off the bat...I wouldnt doubt if they traded him next season for maybe a draft pick...They already have pierce has a sg/sf...The only reason they made that pick was because green fell a little bit in the draft. Maybe trade green to charlotte for melvin ely and a future pick

King Felix
03-10-2006, 08:43 PM
PP is defintally underated prolly one of my top 3 players this year.

FIN-IN-RI
03-10-2006, 09:27 PM
You havnt seen pierce play this year have you...The guys just been solid all year on defense and offense. Definitely underrated...which Its hard to believe how good he is and still gets no respect. Playing for the celtics will do that to you though

They seriously need some front court help,

They got a good nucleus though with

Delonte West
Paul Pierce
Wally Szczerbiak

If Al Jefferson can ever play consistant and actually develop into the full player he could be this team could be deadly. Also Gerald Green has not been the player they've hoped he could be right off the bat...I wouldnt doubt if they traded him next season for maybe a draft pick...They already have pierce has a sg/sf...The only reason they made that pick was because green fell a little bit in the draft. Maybe trade green to charlotte for melvin ely and a future pick

Gerald Green is not going anywhere.

Al Jefferson plays pretty damn consistant but he's had his share of injuries this year.

This Celtics team is going to be good for years to come. A perennial contender.

King Felix
03-10-2006, 09:51 PM
dont forget about gnomes

PressCoverage
03-10-2006, 11:19 PM
Tony Parker

DwayneWade
03-11-2006, 12:37 AM
Caron Butler ;)
Yea man I wish we still had him hes a good player.

FaninPatsyLand
03-11-2006, 12:40 AM
This Celtics team is going to be good for years to come. A perennial contender.

The Celtics are going to be GREAT for a long time. Danny Ainge should be arrested for grabbing Ryan Gomes that late in the second round. It was highway robbery..

It's a pleasure to watch a contender develop before our very eyes.

King Felix
03-11-2006, 02:31 AM
The Celtics are going to be GREAT for a long time. Danny Ainge should be arrested for grabbing Ryan Gomes that late in the second round. It was highway robbery..

if they ever got a center dominating center.....then wow.....west syrbiak pierce gnomes(he plays 4 right) big guy......i havent watched them that much but i know that they have alot of talent.

djfresh47
03-11-2006, 03:02 AM
if they ever got a center dominating center.....then wow.....west syrbiak pierce gnomes(he plays 4 right) big guy......i havent watched them that much but i know that they have alot of talent.

Every team has alot of talent, it's just that some teams fit together better. San Antonio and Detroit are perfect examples of teams that might not have the most talent, but they're teams whose talent fits together perfectly. Orlando is a team that I think could become a contender because I still think Darko will be a good player and Howard is going to be great. Looking ahead to the next few years I think San Antonio is going to win championships because they're the best run franchise in professional sports, IMO.

Prime Time
03-11-2006, 03:23 AM
Caron Butler is underrated...but so are Shawn Marion and Paul Pierce.

Boik14
03-12-2006, 01:26 AM
My vote goes to Delonte West.

- His FG % is highest among PG's and i believe 2nd or 3rd among all guards.
- His ast to To ratio is solid.
- He blocks shots and stops penetration which is what you want from your PG on D...well the shot blocking is a bonus. Plays the passing lanes reasonably well too.

Nothing he does really stands out but at the same time there's nothing negative you can say about him. Plus hes a fantasy hoops dream because hes a PG who wont kill your %'s or your TO's. :)

My criteria for "underrated" was that the player had to be someone who isnt a star (and by star i mean the elton Brands and Shawn Marions of the world may not get sportscenter highlights but everyone who watches basketball really knows them). It had to be someone who really didnt standout in any area and didnt get a lot of hype. And it had to be someone who wasnt the best player on their team.

FIN-IN-RI
03-13-2006, 09:18 AM

Man I love watching this team.. Tony Allen is returning to form..

I think Perk will be on the block though now with Gomes' rising..

DMarino52091
03-30-2006, 08:13 PM
Dwight Howard...i dont here alot about him and he is an amazing rebounded which no one takes into consideration

FaninPatsyLand
03-30-2006, 10:20 PM
Man I love watching this team.. Tony Allen is returning to form..

I think Perk will be on the block though now with Gomes' rising..

Agreed. With the emergence of Delonte West and Ryan Gomes, I expect Ainge to trade away some of our really young and talented pieces to bring in a superstar that will make us contenders. I think with the way Pierce has played this year, the organization wants to build around him as opposed to the common belief that they wanted to build around the youngsters.

I expect to see some type of package that consists of Perkins/Jefferson/Draft Picks for an All-Star that will fit into our lineup of Pierce, West, Szczerbiak and Gomes. If no action is taken, we could see a situation where the youngsters aren't ready to contend until Pierce's game comes back to earth. He's only going to be at this peak performance for a couple of years... the Celtics need to capitalize on that situation.

djfresh47
03-31-2006, 01:17 AM
Robert Horry gets alot of publicity because of the big shots he makes, but I think it leads many people to forget how good of a player he really is. He's clutch and everyone knows it but he's also a very good player.

MARINO1384
04-01-2006, 12:14 AM

Can you say dirty player? Bruce Bowen is one of the most cheapest players in the league.

King Felix
04-01-2006, 12:16 AM
rashard lewis.

MARINO1384
04-01-2006, 12:19 AM
Tony Parker

Deff. not most people rank him as a top 5 pg in the league ahead of Jason Kidd. I would personally take kidd over him but that's just becuz i'm a Nets fan lol. Sadly most players are ranked on scoring and flash which is wrong because alot of the guys that are doing 360 dunks are guys who can't gaurd a chair or shoot 20-30 times a game.

King Felix
04-01-2006, 12:20 AM
carmelo anthony

Juma
04-01-2006, 08:32 PM
Ryan Gomes
Brevin Knight
Andres Nocioni
Tayshaun Prince
Stephen Jackson
Chris Kaman
Pau Gasol
Udonis Haslem
T.J. Ford
David West
Channing Frye
Jameer Nelson
Boris Diaw
Shawn Marion
Zach Randolph
Tony Parker
Kenny Thomas
Rashard Lewis
Chris Wilcox
Chris Bosh
Mike James
Caron Butler...I was pissed when L.A traded him.

305TillIDie
04-01-2006, 08:35 PM
gerald wallace is one.. no doubt

Juma
04-01-2006, 08:50 PM
gerald wallace is one.. no doubt

Forgot about Wallace.

Metal Panda
04-01-2006, 08:52 PM
Darko Milicic

djfresh47
04-02-2006, 01:57 AM
Deff. not most people rank him as a top 5 pg in the league ahead of Jason Kidd. I would personally take kidd over him but that's just becuz i'm a Nets fan lol. Sadly most players are ranked on scoring and flash which is wrong because alot of the guys that are doing 360 dunks are guys who can't gaurd a chair or shoot 20-30 times a game.

I've never seen Parker do a 360 dunk, and i'm not positive about this but doesn't he have a fairly high fg %? A couple years ago I would've taken Kidd over Parker but not right now. Duncan has had foot problems although he has seemed to pick up his game the last couple of weeks and Ginobili has battled injuries all year while Tony Parker has been the best player on the Spurs, one of the two best teams in the league. I think he's probably rated by most people fairly, but I think he's only 23 and does not get the national attention that some of the other good young guards get.

GreenMonster
04-02-2006, 02:56 AM
As I said in the 2nd post.. Gerald Wallace.. this guy has been on fire lately, he is a great all-around player, that landed on the bobcats in the expansion draft.. I doesn't get much more underrated than that..

Boik14
04-02-2006, 03:30 AM
I've never seen Parker do a 360 dunk, and i'm not positive about this but doesn't he have a fairly high fg %? A couple years ago I would've taken Kidd over Parker but not right now. Parker hasnt ever done a 360 dunk in game. I dont even think Ive ever seen him dunk in a game period but for the occassional 1 handed routine stuff.

As far as Parker's %'s, hes money from the floor, leads all guards in FG%.

Not coincidentally, my pick for most underrated is 2nd, Delonte West. Parker is already too much of a star for me to call him underrated. While Parker has guardier scoring stats; west is a good scorer who will do more when called upon, give 5-6ast and rebs a night. He averages over a steal per and almost a block per. His FT% is 2nd among guards and he hasnt missed a foul shot in 6 games (85% for the). hes a fantasy hoops stud!

King Felix
04-02-2006, 08:27 AM
are we talkin about tony parker cuz i havent seen him dunk

djfresh47
04-02-2006, 11:38 AM
are we talkin about tony parker cuz i havent seen him dunk

Like the previous poster he has dunked it was not all that impressive but he has nonetheless.

MARINO1384
04-02-2006, 11:50 AM
Parker hasnt ever done a 360 dunk in game. I dont even think Ive ever seen him dunk in a game period but for the occassional 1 handed routine stuff.

As far as Parker's %'s, hes money from the floor, leads all guards in FG%.

Not coincidentally, my pick for most underrated is 2nd, Delonte West. Parker is already too much of a star for me to call him underrated. While Parker has guardier scoring stats; west is a good scorer who will do more when called upon, give 5-6ast and rebs a night. He averages over a steal per and almost a block per. His FT% is 2nd among guards and he hasnt missed a foul shot in 6 games (85% for the). hes a fantasy hoops stud!

I wasn't talking about him doing a 360 dunk i'm just saying that players in general are more based on "crowd pleasing" dunks then they are for actual fundimentals.