View Full Version : Darko Milicic traded to MAgic

dominizzo
02-15-2006, 01:05 AM
Espn news what a deal Darko IMO is the biggest bust in NBA history

Section126
02-15-2006, 01:10 AM

FOR WHAT!!!!!!!!!!!

It better have been something worthless.

dob72
02-15-2006, 01:12 AM
he's still pretty young might turn out to be something

damn if pistons pick bosh and they win 3 titles in a row easy

dominizzo
02-15-2006, 01:13 AM
Who knows mabey Stevie Franchise

Section126
02-15-2006, 01:36 AM
Who knows mabey Stevie Franchise

:sidelol:

No...the Knicks are working on a deal for him.

DolphinDevil28
02-15-2006, 01:38 AM
FOR WHAT!!!!!!!!!!!

It better have been something worthless.

Here's what I heard:

Pistons get:

Kelvin Kato and future 1st round pick

Magic get:

Darko Milichick, Carlos Arroyo and I think someone else, I forgot.

Section126
02-15-2006, 01:40 AM
Here's what I heard:

Pistons get:

Kelvin Kato and future 1st round pick

Magic get:

Darko Milichick, Carlos Arroyo and I think someone else, I forgot.

YESSSSS.....

Detroits second unit loses speed!

Prime Time
02-15-2006, 01:43 AM
I still think he can be succesful...

Roman529
02-15-2006, 01:52 AM
Sounds like the Pistons stole this one.

DolphinDevil28
02-15-2006, 02:04 AM
Sounds like the Pistons stole this one.

What's new???

The Magic are my absolute favorite team in the NBA, but they are a complete joke.

I don't care for the NBA anyway.

Give me the NFL, college hoops and college football. That's the top 3 right there.

Ferretsquig
02-15-2006, 02:10 AM
If its a lottery protected pick its not like they have lost much. Darko is a gamble but you might as well take it if you are the Magic. Its not like any FA wants to sign with them anyways. Getting Arroyo probably marks the end of the Francis experiment.

The Pistons have Lindsey Hunter coming back so I doubt they mind losing their backup point. It all depends on the pick. If its an '07 lottery protected pick the Magic got a good deal. Non-lottery protected and they got fleeced.

Roman529
02-15-2006, 02:27 AM
What's new???

The Magic are my absolute favorite team in the NBA, but they are a complete joke.

I don't care for the NBA anyway.

Give me the NFL, college hoops and college football. That's the top 3 right there.

I remember when the Magic had Shaq and the days of Penny Hardaway....when he was GREAT.....man it seems like Orlando has just been plain mediocre since Shaq left.

DolphinDevil28
02-15-2006, 02:32 AM
I remember when the Magic had Shaq and the days of Penny Hardaway....when he was GREAT.....man it seems like Orlando has just been plain mediocre since Shaq left.

The day Shaq left was the beginning of the end.

If Shaq would have stayed in Orlando, it would have been him and Penny and the rest of that team winning all those championships instead of the Lakers.

It's too bad he was too money and star power hungry, and he and Penny didn't get along towards the end.

Hell, Shaq thought Penny was bad, then he went to LA and got 100x worse in that no good hoodlum Kobe Bryant.

finfansince72
02-15-2006, 02:39 AM
Has Darko played enough to judge him? The Pistons have always been shooting for the title, they didnt have playing time to give to him. What were they going to do, bench BigBen or Rasheed to give Darko time to develop? Really the only thing worthwhile the Magic gave up was the 1st rounder and if its lottery protected its not a bad deal. You have to gamble a bit. There arent great freeagents to pick up anymore, they are all resigning with their teams, you have to gamble on some trades sometimes.

HysterikiLL
02-15-2006, 06:46 AM

Or Wade, or Anthony.

They're just -- so -- stupid.

In their defence, the didn't really need him to win games.

finfansince72
02-15-2006, 08:11 AM
Or Wade, or Anthony.

Remember when people were actually saying he might turn out better than LeBron in the long run? What did anyone see in this guy to justify the kind of hype he received? If I watched Darko play, then Wade, Anthony or Bosh Darko wouldn't even be on my radar.

PeaTearGriffin
02-15-2006, 11:38 AM

Give the kid some time, hes still only 20!!

King Felix
02-15-2006, 02:15 PM
yeah give time and seriosly u cant label bust wen he doesnt play

King Felix
02-15-2006, 02:18 PM
he averaged 5.8 minuetes in his career i didnt know u could label that

tucker
02-15-2006, 02:36 PM
lol@being a bust b/c he was behind 2 great players who took away from his time..he might be a great fit for orlando

Nappy Roots
02-15-2006, 03:08 PM
im a magic fan, and i actually like this trade. the writing is on the wall as well. Bringing in another PG, Francis should be traded soon.

GreenMonster
02-15-2006, 03:58 PM
Give the kid some time, hes still only 20!!

I totally agree.. Call him a bust when he reaches 30, but 15 years ago this kid would still be chucking 3's up for Duke or Kentucky.. Not everyone is Lebron, Wade, or Anthony, but if he shows nothing by 28 you can throw the towel in on him. Could be a Toni Kukoc like player with a couple more years of play..

Ferretsquig
02-15-2006, 04:11 PM
Remember when people were actually saying he might turn out better than LeBron in the long run? What did anyone see in this guy to justify the kind of hype he received? If I watched Darko play, then Wade, Anthony or Bosh Darko wouldn't even be on my radar.

Wade couldnt shoot, Bosh was considered as much a project as Darko...a long athelete with no real offensive game, and Melo had a resume of about 10 games. Hindsight is 20/20, but the Pistons were without a legit PF and Darko was the logical choice at the time.

MikeO
02-15-2006, 04:25 PM
Wade couldnt shoot, Bosh was considered as much a project as Darko...a long athelete with no real offensive game, and Melo had a resume of about 10 games. Hindsight is 20/20, but the Pistons were without a legit PF and Darko was the logical choice at the time.

Melo had a resume of about 10 games????? :sidelol: :sidelol:

Uh, I guess playing a complete season of college ball in the Big East and winning a NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP is only a 10 game resume in your mind?

I thought the "nba has no salary cap" comment the other day was bad, this one might be worse!

GreenMonster
02-15-2006, 04:56 PM
Melo had a resume of about 10 games????? :sidelol: :sidelol:

Uh, I guess playing a complete season of college ball in the Big East and winning a NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP is only a 10 game resume in your mind?

I thought the "nba has no salary cap" comment the other day was bad, this one might be worse!

I will just say wow, Bosh avg. 15.5 as a freshman and got better as the year went on.. (18ppg in the NIT).. Bosh was highschool player of the year by many publications. MikeO reminded you about Melo I guess.

djfresh47
02-15-2006, 05:44 PM
Milicic can still be a good player, but he's not gonna develop when he's got Rasheed and Ben ahead of him along with McDyess. I think he can be another player like O'Neal who didn't thrive untill he was out of Portland. I believe he's younger than LeBron so he'll get an opportunity he just needs to go to a team where he'll get playing time.

Prime
02-15-2006, 05:47 PM
I think this will be good for him. He will never get any PT while with the Pistons, but he might with the Magic.

Straztheman
02-15-2006, 07:04 PM

So now your a Pistons fan. Wow what a bandwagon fan!:sidelol:

Kobe
02-15-2006, 08:32 PM
So now your a Pistons fan. Wow what a bandwagon fan!:sidelol:

You have lots of room to talk :rolleyes2

dob72
02-15-2006, 09:29 PM
So now your a Pistons fan. Wow what a bandwagon fan!:sidelol: huh where did i say that i was actully throwing a jab at them for passing on bosh

dob72
02-15-2006, 09:32 PM
Or Wade, or Anthony.

nah bosh would of fit in perferct for them i dunno about melo

KingCrowder
02-15-2006, 11:20 PM

I know they won the title anyway. but, it is kind of sad knowing they could of had Carmello Anthony instead of Darko.

Ferretsquig
02-16-2006, 12:14 AM
Just a little tidit from espn:

If Orlando's first-round pick next year is No. 5 or better, the Magic will keep it. If it's not, the Pistons will acquire the Magic's 2008 first-round slot.

....little incentive for the Magic to really tank it next season. Even more reason to dump Francis.....mabey for Penny?

Buddwalk
02-16-2006, 08:23 AM
Milicic is still very young like under 24 so he still has potential to not be a bust. Its hard to get minutes when playing behind ben wallace in detroit though

Section126
02-16-2006, 11:59 AM
What is funny is that the Pistons get torched by Shaq and they bring in another big stiff to hack him....

Big Mistake....I hope they keep refusing to double team Shaq....

I also never understood this fascination with Lindsey Hunter.....he played a good 5 minute stretch against Wade in a game that the Pistons lost....he is slow....

The Pistons weakened themselves here.

Buddwalk
02-16-2006, 09:29 PM
I truely believe darko can actually still shine in this league but hes going to need to get more then 2 minutes a night. With the magic lacking a solid center he could start right away...Hopefully he can live up to being picked above guys like

Chris Bosh
Carmelo Anthony
Dwayne Wade

NorthFloridaFin
02-16-2006, 11:32 PM
I'm actually excited about this trade. It kind of shows that we are trying to move toward the future. All we need to do now is trade Steve Francis and let Jameer Nelson start doing his thing. If Darko can come into his own, then we could be dominate with him and Dwight Howard down low.

Prime Time
02-17-2006, 12:21 AM
Yeah it is all opinion, don't know how someone could be wrong.

phunwin
02-17-2006, 01:46 PM
What is funny is that the Pistons get torched by Shaq and they bring in another big stiff to hack him....

Big Mistake....I hope they keep refusing to double team Shaq....

I also never understood this fascination with Lindsey Hunter.....he played a good 5 minute stretch against Wade in a game that the Pistons lost....he is slow....

The Pistons weakened themselves here.

Short-term, maybe. If they can get another backup point, it's a wash. Long term, this gives them the flexibility to resign both Ben Wallace and Chauncey Billups. So obviously, that's a pretty good move.

They might flip Cato to a team that's got a decent point guard whose salary is expiring (I'd be surprised if he plays even a minute for Detroit). But I'm also a bit perplexed as to why they moved Arroyo in the deal; seems like the focus was Milicic. If they could get Mike James back, they'd be in great shape, but that might be tough. Wish they had grabbed Chucky Atkins after he got waived.

Hunter is an excellent defensive guard who brings the press as well as anyone in the NBA. On offense though, I'm not a fan. I don't like the idea of using him as a real backup point. Let him hound guys like Dwyane Wade on defense for a few minutes, make life tough, and maybe take the rythym out of the other team's offense. But don't expect him to run the offense with Billups on the bench.

As for the draft pick, it's top 5 protected in 2007, and not at all for 2008. I think the pick will be valuable; I don't see Orlando pulling it all together anytime soon. Plus, the 2007 draft should be a lot better than this year's. I think the Pistons probably figured they wouldn't get anyone who could crack the rotation in this year's draft.

Dumars has a history of cutting bait quickly with draft picks that don't pan out, and so far, he's done pretty well at cutting his losses and getting what he can. Rodney White and Mateen Cleaves were both moved for first round picks, for example. I think Milicic will have his moments, and probably have a serviceable NBA career at some point, but if he showed any signs at all of fulfilling the expectations they had, they would have kept him, at least until after the season when they could trade him for more than they got.

As for the Melo/Milicic debate, the Pistons don't win the 2004 title with Melo at the 3. In the Finals, they needed Tayshaun Prince's defense much more than Carmelo Anthony's offense. And since Prince wouldn't have developed at the same rate with Anthony around, I don't buy that age old argument.

Of course, Chris Bosh and Dwayne Wade are different stories. Either of those guys would have blended with the team perfectly. Wade would have given Detroit an unstoppable three-guard rotation, given his ability to play the 2 or 3. Bosh would have filled the role Antonio McDyess does now, only a lot better and for a lot longer.

And finally, as for the Kobe Bryant nonsense, it belongs in another thread.

Section126
02-17-2006, 02:03 PM
If they could get Mike James back, they'd be in great shape, but that might be tough. Wish they had grabbed Chucky Atkins after he got waived.

OH NO!!! If you guys got Mike James I would be even more worried than I am now.

I think Chris Duhon is a nice fit for the Pistons.

Let us get Mike James...:wink:

phunwin
02-17-2006, 03:32 PM
OH NO!!! If you guys got Mike James I would be even more worried than I am now.

I think Chris Duhon is a nice fit for the Pistons.

Let us get Mike James...:wink:

You probably have a better shot at him. I don't believe we have a #1 pick this year. If Miami does, sending that pick to the Raps for James would be a good move. They basically HAVE to move him, since there's no way in hell he'll resign there. So they might do what the Hawks did with Rasheed Wallace; take a late #1 pick for him, even though it's less than he should probably command.

I'd love Chris Duhon. He can't shoot, but he's got a great A/TO ratio (easily the most important stat for a point) and has the defensive chops to keep up with the rest of the Pistons. Hopefully the Bulls will part with him and just move Ben Gordon into the starting lineup where he belongs.

Ferretsquig
02-17-2006, 04:14 PM
LA has Miami's pick. And there is no way James garners first round compensation. Hes old by nba standards and is a ballhog. The only use he would be to a contending team is if they needed a scorer off the bench. I dont think he would take many minutes from the 3 guard rotation in Miami, although he would be a nice insurance if the tendanitis keeps JWill out of any more games.

phunwin
02-17-2006, 06:35 PM
LA has Miami's pick. And there is no way James garners first round compensation. Hes old by nba standards and is a ballhog. The only use he would be to a contending team is if they needed a scorer off the bench. I dont think he would take many minutes from the 3 guard rotation in Miami, although he would be a nice insurance if the tendanitis keeps JWill out of any more games.

He's 30 and has a higher assist ratio (tm John Hollinger) than Tony Parker. So he's not *THAT* much of a ballhog, obviously.

James isn't an ideal ball distributor, of course, but he's plenty good enough to give Billups and (occasionally) Hamilton a rest for a total of 15-20 minutes a night (or do the same for any other contending team). He's a quality scorer, as you mentioned, and he plays strong defense. A late first round pick is perfectly reasonable compensation. And I'd bet that's ultimately what Toronto gets for him.

MelbournePhin
02-19-2006, 11:44 AM
the magic are building for the future. dwight will be the premiere big man in 3-4 years and jameer nelson will be a solid point guard. grant hills salary is off the books in 07 i think. we have a bright future.

phunwin
02-19-2006, 08:56 PM
the magic are building for the future. dwight will be the premiere big man in 3-4 years and jameer nelson will be a solid point guard. grant hills salary is off the books in 07 i think. we have a bright future.

Well, it's a gamble. They're obviously gambling that they'll be good enough next year to avoid handing over a decent pick to Detroit (or alternately, bad enough that they'll be able to keep it).

That said, if you've got a talented big man and a quality point guard, the rest can usually be filled in.

TerryTate
02-19-2006, 09:06 PM
This thread has been cleaned up.

Keep it on topic....Magic/Pistons etc....

Save the Kobe stuff for a different thread.

King Felix
02-19-2006, 09:08 PM
we need a kobe discussion thread because he gets talked about alot

Den54
02-19-2006, 09:11 PM
This thread has been cleaned up.

Keep it on topic....Magic/Pistons etc....

Save the Kobe stuff for a different thread.

Thanks T.:D

phunwin
02-19-2006, 09:16 PM
Nicely done, TT!