PDA

View Full Version : What can I do to make this place better?

FinHeavenAJ
02-10-2003, 08:56 PM
Alright people... it's the offseason and I'm bored. :D

Now, what changes would you like to see made on these boards. I'm not looking for things like "no 'me too' posts" or "get rid of some fans." Instead, I'm looking to design changes, more smilies, more avatars, etc.

So... please... only constructive criticism. Don't say "I don't like the header" and not offer any alternative ideas. If you do that, I'll overlook your input.

Let me know. :cool:

- Andrew

Den54
02-10-2003, 09:16 PM
Dilithium crystals for every 100 posts would be a great start, just none of those damn Tribbles. Just kidding. Let me mull it over.

SuavePhin
02-10-2003, 09:20 PM
Here's a thought, have a contest during the season, my suggestion as followed

have 5 football games plus the monday nighter (one game MUST be the Phins game) and you chose who you think will win the game, the tiebreaker being the Total combined score of the Monday night game and the winner of that week gets bonus points (example being 5 points for each game you correctly pick and if there's a tie the MNF game winner and closest to point total gets 25 bonus extra for winning the week, at the end of the year have prizes for the top 5 :)

inFINSible
02-10-2003, 09:26 PM
How about.....having peoples' predictions for the coming season saved in their profile?

inFINSible
02-10-2003, 09:29 PM
........oh oh.....and at the beginning of the season....you can have the predictions locked.........that way we'll get to see and remember who predicted what......:D

iceblizzard69
02-10-2003, 09:47 PM

Crisdeman
02-10-2003, 09:48 PM
How about.....having peoples' predictions for the coming season saved in their profile?

........oh oh.....and at the beginning of the season....you can have the predictions locked.........that way we'll get to see and remember who predicted what......

Thats a damn good idea.

FinHeavenAJ
02-10-2003, 09:59 PM
Originally posted by inFINSible
........oh oh.....and at the beginning of the season....you can have the predictions locked.........that way we'll get to see and remember who predicted what......:D

A very good idea, I'll definitely have to look into this. I've never experimented with "locking" fields within the profile...

Great idea again... anyone else?

dolfan87
02-10-2003, 10:11 PM
Get rid of Adphinistrator87, the guy is nuts. ;)

Samphin
02-10-2003, 10:24 PM
AJ, If you do that prediction thing your going to have to come up with some type of universal form for all. Otherwise, people will have predictions for all kinds of irrelevant things. Perhaps a universal form for standard predictions and a couple of open spaces for extra predictions not on the standard form so that it keeps everyone happy. Then at the end of the season you could give out points to those who accurately predicted things. Perhaps, 50 points for accurately predicting the fins record and 100 for say, coming within 3 percentage points of Jay Fiedler's passer rating or something to that sort.

The extar predictions for silly things or whatever should not be included in the point system though. Just some thoughts to add on to an already great idea.

Baz
02-10-2003, 10:50 PM
Only thing is a wider variety of avatars. Other than that, you run a pretty tight program here guys. I'm impressed......

Samphin
02-10-2003, 10:53 PM
Oh ok I got one, perhaps a spell check of some sort. The site might already have one that I am not aware of but I am too lazy to reread my posts for errors. That would help everyone immensely with their posts I believe.

Samphin
:stupid:

FinHeavenAJ
02-10-2003, 11:22 PM
Regarding a previous recommendation... what prediction fields should be available? Dolphins record... and what else?

Guess you can gather that I figured out how to do this little addition... :D :cool:

Avatars: I'll check some more out... are there any that you would like to see more of? :cool:

Spell Checker: Very possible, but its a performance degrader... this could be added on in a split second... but performance comes first :D Good idea though :cool:

inFINSible
02-10-2003, 11:53 PM
Fiedler's stats.......Ricky's stats.....defensive rank ....JT's sacks.....Best draft pick.......best FA pick up.......Fiedler hugger/hater.......draft predictions.......FA predictions.......more??

FinHeavenAJ
02-11-2003, 12:00 AM
I don't think we should have too many stats... it would be too much.

Dolphins Record
Jay Stats
Ricky Stats
Offensive Rank
Defensive Rank
Depth into the season

Other things you've stated are a little too opinionated. Like best draft/FA pickup, etc. The ones I listed above will probably be it... unless someone has some more ideas :D

Crisdeman
02-11-2003, 12:08 AM
heres some

Team Record
Offensive Rank
Defensive Rank
Special Team Rank
Total Sacks
Total INTs
Ricky's Rushing Yards

inFINSible
02-11-2003, 12:17 AM
I don't know AJ......I think it would be fun to see if somebody predicts that the S we take in round 5 will turn out to be the best draft pick ........and they're right!..........That's like major bragging rights in this arena.......I'd rather know that, than where we will rank offensively or defensively......but that's JMO....take it or leave it...

WeVie
02-11-2003, 12:47 AM
How about the AFC East standings at the end of the season

Dolphins 12-4
Jets 10-6
Bills 8-8
Pats 7-9

And the Super Bowl winner<------------That one should be worth alot of points.

Baz
02-11-2003, 12:54 AM
I dunno what avatars to you have to choose from, but I suggest a wide variety from very different topics. For example, video game characters and hot chicks. There are so many personalities on this board, that you couldn't possibly satisfy them all, but a large variety of avatars would be a start......

PhinstiGator
02-11-2003, 01:14 AM
Well, I was going to suggest that you give us the functionality of viewing a thread in a "threaded list" format instead of the expanded table format in order to allow us to scan through a huge thread to see if it is actually worth reading.

Then, I noticed the Expand and Contract buttons at the top... that I have never noticed before. Doh!

But, when people do not enter anything on the subject line it is difficult to know what the subject has actually become when it is deep into the thread.

My suggestion is to make the subject line non-optional or come up with another way to know the evolved subject of debate in the "contract all" format.

:monkey:
..... :eat:

SuperMarksBros.
02-11-2003, 03:20 AM
i could use some ricky wallpaper...i dont believe any new wallpaper has been added since i joined in 2001.

Ducken
02-11-2003, 06:40 AM
I'd like to see more avatars, as you can see, I like the older less known superheros. Maybe a mock draft section, That can be posted to starting from say, Feb 1 thru day before the draft.

I really don't see much that needs improving, you guys do a great job.

Kamikaze
02-11-2003, 06:53 AM
Originally posted by Fiedler for MVP
i could use some ricky wallpaper...i dont believe any new wallpaper has been added since i joined in 2001.

If there is a demand for it I think I could whip up something. Give me a few days to see if I can't get a few prototypes done.

FinHeavenAJ
02-11-2003, 08:01 AM

Yes, I know. The person that used to do wallpaper left the site (basically). And, to be honest, I really can't make wallpapers... lol. I've tried, but they just don't come out good. chicagodolphan learned how to make wallpapers... and he's already made ones better than me... lol. But I can make small graphics inorder for the site to look good... but just not large images... oh well. If chicagodolphan does it... I add it to the main site (if he allows me... :lol:).

Well, I was going to suggest that you give us the functionality of viewing a thread in a "threaded list" format instead of the expanded table format in order to allow us to scan through a huge thread to see if it is actually worth reading.

That's already in the works :cool:

I'd like to see more avatars...
It seems that a few people want that... I'll look around... :cool:

Wdolfan
02-11-2003, 08:46 AM
Can you YTD the time one spends on here? Then list who has spent the most time & who has made the most posts, edits, etc. How about listing how many tags are artibuted to a isp address.?

Justasportsfan
02-11-2003, 09:52 AM

Forget that! More Anna wallpapers please:D

But if you insist, knock yourself out

http://www.finheaven.com/boardvb2/showthread.php?s=&threadid=12359

billsfanone
02-11-2003, 09:55 AM
I don't see how you can make this place any better.

DeDolfan
02-11-2003, 09:59 AM
Originally posted by FinHeavenAJ
Alright people... it's the offseason and I'm bored. :D

Now, what changes would you like to see made on these boards. I'm not looking for things like "no 'me too' posts" or "get rid of some fans." Instead, I'm looking to design changes, more smilies, more avatars, etc.

So... please... only constructive criticism. Don't say "I don't like the header" and not offer any alternative ideas. If you do that, I'll overlook your input.

Let me know. :cool:

- Andrew

Actually, the best thing to me would be to have a reply button other than the quote button on each post and when you reply, it would show who you replied to and which post. sometimes you can't really be sure of who a post was replied to unless it has the quot in there. Even the quick reply isn't a real guarantee since someone else could just happen to slip one in there before you.

Other than that, if the email alert could be changed up somewhat in that it alerts you to when there is a reply to only one of your posts. I still get some alerts from thread that i haven't opened in a couple of days even.

I like everything else pretty much. i like to be able to scroll down and read multiple posts w/o hiving to click on each one. That's a good feature you have here.

DD.....................

DeDolfan
02-11-2003, 10:36 AM
Originally posted by SuavePhin
Here's a thought, have a contest during the season, my suggestion as followed

have 5 football games plus the monday nighter (one game MUST be the Phins game) and you chose who you think will win the game, the tiebreaker being the Total combined score of the Monday night game and the winner of that week gets bonus points (example being 5 points for each game you correctly pick and if there's a tie the MNF game winner and closest to point total gets 25 bonus extra for winning the week, at the end of the year have prizes for the top 5 :)

we do a "Pick'em" on our other MB. What we do is to pick one game each week. You get 1 pt for a W but @ pts for a double digit W and same in reverse for Ls. This provides a standings and at years end, the top 6 gets to pick 2 playoff teams one at a time in order of finsh. Catch to this is that during the season, you can pick a team only once. So it can get interesting, particularly the older the season becomes.

DD........................................

DeDolfan
02-11-2003, 10:44 AM
Originally posted by iceblizzard69

I got about 5 gigs of'em. Want me to burn some off?? :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

DD.....................................

Crisdeman
02-11-2003, 11:11 AM
Anyone know where i can snap high rez dolphin images? i want to make some wallpapers but have no clue where to find the pics

WeVie
02-11-2003, 12:42 PM
How easy is it for you guys in Flordia to get autograghs and things like that? If it is kinda easy and some of you are feeling a little kind and maybe you could have a contest from time to time and give something like that away.

It's hard for us Phin fans in Virginia to get our hands on autograghs unless we pay out the ass for them.

Justasportsfan
02-11-2003, 02:07 PM
Originally posted by Dolphin_Fan

It's hard for us Phin fans in Virginia to get our hands on autograghs unless we pay out the ass for them.

Be careful when you use the words ass and Florida in the same paragraph:confused:

Clumpy
02-11-2003, 04:05 PM
How about a salary cap page?

SuperMarksBros.
02-11-2003, 04:38 PM
Originally posted by chicagodolphan
If there is a demand for it I think I could whip up something. Give me a few days to see if I can't get a few prototypes done.

chicagodolphan, if you do that, you will be my new hero :D

SuperMarksBros.
02-11-2003, 04:40 PM
Originally posted by billsfanone
I don't see how you can make this place any better.

should the guys take this as an insult or a complement. :confused: gotta hand it to you, billsfan. if it was an insult, it was perfectly crafted.

FinHeavenAJ
02-11-2003, 04:44 PM
Just to let everyone know in this thread, I have added a few fields to the profile. Check them out :D

Miafan
02-11-2003, 05:10 PM
Ive done a few wallpapers before, I also did a Dolphins one a few months back which a few of you guys probally saw. Maybe I can get a little creative and make a few so finheaven can host them.

Samphin
02-11-2003, 07:29 PM
Perhaps some other fields to put on would be like coaches who will be fired, or perhaps who the number one draft pick of each round will be or something like that.

Prime Time
02-11-2003, 07:48 PM
I agree with Brock31 (Dont know his new s/n just do not like it, like his old sn more) NEED new avatars, widely variety, ALSO I think this is a big one, sometimes us DOLFANS look for DOLPHIN pictures because we cannot find any, so I t would be great if you could add a picture gallery.

1) More Avatars for peoples personalites
2) Dolphin Picture Gallery

3)Other team's pciture galleries

inFINSible
02-12-2003, 08:12 AM
Hey AJ.....I like the options except for "special teams rank".........I haven't got a clue where our special teams have ranked...... EVER......and would that be returning or covering?

and I also think the "total sacks and Ints".......should be changed to "sack leader/how many?" and "INT leader/how many?"...........JMO.

Oh and throw a "will be" into the first Super Bowl question..........It's not really self explanatory....;)

Surferosa
02-12-2003, 10:20 AM
How bout getting some of the players to visit the site in the offseason (or during the year)?

MNFINFAN
02-12-2003, 11:42 AM
Hey d2k2, His new s/n is his name Bazinet and his number on the field 37, the poor guy, you slammed his parents:D. BTW nice to see you post a reply more than 3 syllables. Also for once I agree with you, I would love to see a Dolphins Picture Gallery as all I get up here in the Frozen Tundra are the Disfunctional Vikings, (they make the Osbournes look like the Nelsons)

I would like to see a in the season competition like the Pick em or suicide pool, I think someone mentioned a version earlier.

Otherwise this site is the best fin site out there

WharfRat
02-12-2003, 08:36 PM
How about..

The multiple quote option ... like they have at BFZ...

Also... MORE SMILIES!!!

I can suggest a few hundred or so if you like!!

Prime Time
02-13-2003, 01:15 AM
MN great to see you agreeing with me. That is a first, and possibly a last lol.

bozoka45
02-13-2003, 02:39 AM
I got a few. First, go to www.saintsreport.com and check out their forums, its probably the busiest/most active fan message board in the NFL. Might give you a few ideas.

The only thing I would have to suggest is a "Quote Selected" box (as seen on SR.com). Basically, next to the "Quote" button on the post, you put a little check box. The user can check off whatever posts he wants to quote. Then, at the bottom of the thread, there is a "Quote Selected" button. Instead of being able to have one quote at a time, all the quotes would be automatically added to the reply box.

billsfanone
02-14-2003, 02:34 PM
should the guys take this as an insult or a complement. :confused: gotta hand it to you, billsfan. if it was an insult, it was perfectly crafted.

;)

Dozerdog
02-14-2003, 11:13 PM
Naked girls

WharfRat
02-14-2003, 11:48 PM
Originally posted by Dozerdog
Naked girls

:lol:

Clumpy
02-15-2003, 01:06 AM
Especially if it's Anna :)

The_Philster
02-22-2003, 02:26 PM
What about JLH though, clumpy? ;)

Clumpy
02-23-2003, 12:57 AM
There's enough of me to go around Phil :)

Jaj
02-28-2003, 03:32 AM
Find a way to stop repeat posts, such as people finding about something later than others and making a new post about it.