PDA

View Full Version : Bonds Says '06 Season His Last

Jt0323
02-19-2006, 06:59 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/index?&lpos=globalnav&lid=gn_MLB_MLB
I cant find a full article but ill see if they have it later

Prime Time
02-19-2006, 07:15 PM
If he doesn't hit the 48 HRs, he will return...no matter what he says.

King Felix
02-19-2006, 07:29 PM
he is a bum

phunwin
02-19-2006, 08:48 PM
Good riddance, Barry.

MikeO
02-19-2006, 09:38 PM
It's a way for him to BREAK the record and not look like he has been chasing it. If he get's it, it makes it more legit. Doens't look like he hung around for extra years trying to break it.

Or, he has come to the conclusion that even if he gets it, A-ROD will break it in a few years anyway, so why chase a record to only hold it for a little while!

King Felix
02-19-2006, 09:54 PM
a-rod is soo good my fav player!!! loved him since he was back with seattle havnt stoped since!!

phunwin
02-19-2006, 09:55 PM
It's a way for him to BREAK the record and not look like he has been chasing it. If he get's it, it makes it more legit. Doens't look like he hung around for extra years trying to break it.

Very true. And that's admirable. I just think Bonds is a jerk and I'm tired of hearing about him. There has never been a less enjoyable athlete who performs at such a high level.

Prime Time
02-19-2006, 10:07 PM
I for one, like Bonds...

Ray Finkle
02-19-2006, 10:31 PM
:sleep:

I'll believe it when I see it....

MikeO
02-19-2006, 10:41 PM
Very true. And that's admirable. I just think Bonds is a jerk and I'm tired of hearing about him. There has never been a less enjoyable athlete who performs at such a high level.

Well he announced his story on the wrong day. Bad enough same day as DAYTONA. He just got moved back to Page 2 with all of the Ricky stuff thats about to hit the fan!

Nobody will realize its his last year until July now!

phunwin
02-19-2006, 11:35 PM
Well he announced his story on the wrong day. Bad enough same day as DAYTONA. He just got moved back to Page 2 with all of the Ricky stuff thats about to hit the fan!

Nobody will realize its his last year until July now!

Actually, it wouldn't shock me if he timed it this way. It's not like Bonds has any particular love for the media or for wide-spread attention.

I for one, like Bonds...

Well, there's certainly plenty to like. He's an automatic first-ballot HOFer, quite possibly the best power hitter since Babe Ruth, and while he's kind of a jerk, there's no indication that he's an actively bad human being (i.e. wife beater, child abuser, cokehead, etc.). So, by the rapidly declining standards to which we hold athletes, there's really nothing wrong with Bonds. To that end, it's probably hypocritical of me to dislike Bonds but like Randy McMichael. Oh well.

MikeO
02-19-2006, 11:58 PM
Well, there's certainly plenty to like. He's an automatic first-ballot HOFer, quite possibly the best power hitter since Babe Ruth, and while he's kind of a jerk, there's no indication that he's an actively bad human being (i.e. wife beater, child abuser, cokehead, etc.). So, by the rapidly declining standards to which we hold athletes, there's really nothing wrong with Bonds. To that end, it's probably hypocritical of me to dislike Bonds but like Randy McMichael. Oh well.

The only crime Bonds has committed is he isn't a nice person. He cheats on his wife, who cares, they all do. He "may" have takent steroids (wink wink) who cares they all do. So, because he doens't sign every autograph and talk nice to reporters when they want him to talk, he is a prick? Well, so was Ted Williams up until he was on his last legs. Didn't hurt his legacy any. Won't hurt Bond's either. In fact if Bonds comes within 1 HR of Aaron and walks away, he will be remembered as a baseball god. Almost like saying, here is your stupid little record.I could have had it. Gave you a mess with should there be an * or not next to it. Now let someone else break it and just leave me alone.With that ..."but I could have done it".....overtone he can hang over everyones head forever!

djfresh47
02-20-2006, 12:52 AM
Barry Bonds is the best player i've ever seen and this is much bigger news than the Daytona or Ricky getting busted, IMO.

Ray Finkle
02-20-2006, 12:57 AM
Barry Bonds is the best player i've ever seen and this is much bigger news than the Daytona or Ricky getting busted, IMO.

In my opinion if Ken Griffey Jr. never got hurt we would be talking about Ken breaking Aaron's record this year. And he'd probably be considered a better player than Bonds, one could even make the arguement that Griffey in his prime was better than Bonds at the time.

dominizzo
02-20-2006, 01:08 AM
i want BArry to beat that record Im sure he can hit 49 homers

RWhitney014
02-20-2006, 01:23 AM
To break the record, he's gonna have to stay healthy (he played in 14 games last year) and not walk every time (Jeff Kent left after what, 2003, and they still haven't got a legit bat to back him up? No one's scared of Pedro Feliz).

As far as him retiring, he can join Sammy Sosa on a Pacific island no one's ever heard of. They're both blights on the game, and I hope he doesn't break the record. Barry Bonds holding the home run record would *******ize it. All the mystique and aura around it would be gone, because the message is clear: if you're talented enough, cheat and you will win.

EDIT: Sorry about the profanity filter. The word I was trying to use could be found in an English book, but the filter recognizes it as censurable. Don't know any synonyms right now, so I'll leave it to y'all's imagination.

djfresh47
02-20-2006, 01:43 AM
In my opinion if Ken Griffey Jr. never got hurt we would be talking about Ken breaking Aaron's record this year. And he'd probably be considered a better player than Bonds, one could even make the arguement that Griffey in his prime was better than Bonds at the time.

I can see that it's a shame that Griffey hasn't been able to stay healthy because he was incredible in center for the Mariners. I still wonder how they could never win anything when they had Buhner/A-Rod/Jr/Martinez/Big Unit on the team.

Ray Finkle
02-20-2006, 02:26 AM
I can see that it's a shame that Griffey hasn't been able to stay healthy because he was incredible in center for the Mariners. I still wonder how they could never win anything when they had Buhner/A-Rod/Jr/Martinez/Big Unit on the team.

It's simple, the Mariners never had any pitching, especially in the bullpen.

Ray Finkle
02-20-2006, 02:29 AM
I just heard on WFAN that Bonds has said tonight that he'll play as long as his legs can keep up. Not sure if that's credible of not, but it would be pretty funny that a whole day hasn't went by for Bonds to change his mind/statement. He very well could retire after 2006, but he at least didn't say it's a sure thing like USA Today reported he said earlier in the day.

MikeO
02-20-2006, 02:48 AM
I still wonder how they could never win anything when they had Buhner/A-Rod/Jr/Martinez/Big Unit on the team.

Lou Pinella is an OVERRATED manager!!!

King Felix
02-20-2006, 03:02 AM
man seattle is my team and dont bring back buhner i never liked the baldie

King Felix
02-20-2006, 03:02 AM
Lou Pinella is an OVERRATED manager!!!

it was great to see him get ejected:sidelol:

Roman529
02-20-2006, 04:09 AM
The guy should not even be playing baseball...he should be led off the field in cuffs like his trainer and the owner of Balco. Good riddance Barry.

UCFinfan86
02-20-2006, 12:28 PM
the season can't end fast enough so he will get the hell out. I hate him for being one of the most racist peopel i've ever seen as well as the biggest jerk. When he was on TV crying with his son when he was on crutches he was playing the little o every one feel sorry for me crap. I hate him with a passion

Prime Time
02-20-2006, 01:14 PM
the season can't end fast enough so he will get the hell out. I hate him for being one of the most racist peopel i've ever seen as well as the biggest jerk. When he was on TV crying with his son when he was on crutches he was playing the little o every one feel sorry for me crap. I hate him with a passion

Racist? Explain.

Bonds might be a jerk...but so was Dan Marino. I don't see you hating him.

UCFinfan86
02-20-2006, 02:28 PM
Racist? Explain.

Bonds might be a jerk...but so was Dan Marino. I don't see you hating him.

racist? lets see wanting to break babe ruth's record but not Hank Aarons because he was black. hmm yuh thats not racist at all

MikeO
02-20-2006, 02:35 PM
racist? lets see wanting to break babe ruth's record but not Hank Aarons because he was black. hmm yuh thats not racist at all

:shakeno: :shakeno: What's Ruth's record?????????? Seriously, what is it? (I didn't know being 2nd on the list is a "record")

And usually people who bring up the "racist" debate into an innocent discussion like this is the "racist" himself.

Roman529
02-20-2006, 04:18 PM
Barry changed his mond again....said he might play next year and maybe a few years after that.

Ray Finkle
02-20-2006, 05:32 PM
:shakeno: :shakeno: What's Ruth's record?????????? Seriously, what is it? (I didn't know being 2nd on the list is a "record")

714. I'm surprised you didn't know that.

dob72
02-20-2006, 06:27 PM
well atleast the goat will have enought time to break ruths record

dob72
02-20-2006, 06:29 PM
he's the goat

UCFinfan86
02-20-2006, 06:44 PM

And usually people who bring up the "racist" debate into an innocent discussion like this is the "racist" himself.

your right im so racist, that is why all of my favorite sports players a black. yuh good one.

MikeO
02-21-2006, 12:35 AM
714. I'm surprised you didn't know that.

That's not a record though. Only the guy at the top of the list has the record. Being 2nd doesn't mean you have the record!

djfresh47
02-21-2006, 12:49 AM
he's the goat

I agree.