PDA

View Full Version : More speculation about the price of the P$3

Marino2Clayton
02-20-2006, 06:35 PM
Some of you guys may have missed this earlier story I posted from IGN Insider (it was burried in another post).

January 27, 2006 - Those lucky enough to have gotten their hands on an Xbox 360 will tell you that after the hardware, games, and other miscellaneous peripherals, controllers, etc., buying a next-gen system 'aint cheap. But as much as a 360 may have hurt your pockets, it's looking like a PS3 will even more so. In fact, it's feasible to assume that the PlayStation 3 could retail at anywhere between $300-$800 at launch.

http://www.finheaven.com/images/imported/2006/02/whatiftheps3cost100020060127051208154-1.jpg

Though the system's final price tag is still completely unknown at this point but Sony president Ken Kutaragi has stated that the PS3 "Will be expensive". He has also said the company wants "for consumers to think to themselves 'I will work more hours to buy one'. We want people to feel that they want it, irrespective of anything else."

One thing however is widely known; the PS3 won't match the 360's $399 price tag, and here's why:

It's cost will ultimately be determined by two things. One is the PS3's unique Cell processor that was co-designed by IBM, Toshiba and Sony. The second is the systems Blu-ray drive. Now, certain analysts in the industry believe the latter will drive costs up hundreds of dollars on its own, and there's no reason to believe that to be untrue. Pioneer, one of Sony's Blu-ray partners, has marked the MSRP of their top-of-the-line BDP-HD1 Blu-ray player at $1,800. Other companies like Samsung have priced their comparable, but ultimately lower-end model, players at $1,199 retail. So, by the time Blu-ray players are available for consumer purchase, which should be around the same time the PS3 is expected to launch in Japan, they'll be going for an average of over a grand.

Yeah, I want a PS3, sure; but I'm not putting in extra hours at the office just to buy one.

With that said; here's a worst case scenario: What if with all games, peripherals, and the add-on hard drive included - it will cost you over $1000 to get a PS3 at launch? Will you buy it? Do you think this is just way too much to pay for a gaming system, even though it's fitted with the highest-end DVD player on the market? Are you willing to shell out this much cash for what's likely to be comparable to the Xbox 360 (according to some developers), as a gaming system? Or is the Revolution looking sweeter and sweeter now with its sub $300 price tag?

Today on Gamespot (http://www.gamespot.com/news/6144600.html), there is even a more worrisome story for potential PS3 owners...

Monday's drop follows a 2.8 percent decline in Sony stock on Friday, after Wall Street stock-brokerage firm Merrill Lynch published a report skeptical of the company's next-generation console plans. It predicted the launch of the PlayStation 3 console could be delayed by 6 to 12 months from its current spring 2006 window, resulting in an autumn launch in Japan and a late 2006 or early 2007 launch in the US.

"We wrote last November that Sony’s design choices for the PS3 had resulted in an expensive and difficult-to-manufacture product," read the report, "and we think that we’re seeing the consequences of those choices play out now. In particular, we think the problem points are the Sony Cell processor and the Blu-ray drive." Merrill Lynch also cited heat-generation issues with PS3 hardware and the far-from-finished state of most games for the platform as factors.

While other analysts have predicted that the PS3 might not hit North America until Q4 2006 or Q1 2007--which would miss the all-important holiday shopping season--Merrill Lynch's stature made many-a-trader skittish. The fires of unease were fueled further by another component of the report, which predicted the manufacturing cost of the console could be much higher than previous estimates of around $500 per unit.

"Our updated analysis indicates that the initial bill of [production] materials for PS3 could approach $900," read the report. The report said that the production cost of a single Cell processor will be $230 at launch, with the Blu-ray drive setting Sony back $350 per unit. If that estimate is correct, that means the PS3 would have to sell for around $775-$800 to maintain a $125-$100 per-unit-loss similar to that of Microsoft's Xbox 360.

SirDrums
02-20-2006, 07:03 PM
The xbox is even to exspensive for me right now.

At the price the PS3 might get to, people might by them more as a status symbol than a entertainment system.

Timmy54
02-21-2006, 03:08 AM
looks like i will be waiting for the buzz to die down then get one

Motion
02-21-2006, 07:18 AM
Like the thread title says, all "speculation" at this point. I'm taking it all with a grain of salt til Sony actually announces it themselves. I've seen so many "financial analysts" predictions its ridiculous.

mor911
02-21-2006, 09:41 AM
I saw this whole sony stock drop thing that I read recently... Not sure what to make of it all just yet.

Slappy8800
02-21-2006, 08:15 PM
is it all shiny like that? looks like something paris hilton woulkd own....yeck

Caps
02-21-2006, 08:18 PM
is it all shiny like that? looks like something paris hilton woulkd own....yeck

You can't tell that it's a doctored pic?

HysterikiLL
02-21-2006, 10:58 PM
Is that picture really the PS3? If so, that's ****in' hideous.

Motion
02-21-2006, 11:03 PM
No its not, they "blinged" it to go along with the story.

HysterikiLL
02-21-2006, 11:09 PM
Phew

Kobe
02-22-2006, 01:59 AM
I love my nintendo systems. Long live Super Nintendo :D

Slappy8800
02-22-2006, 11:33 AM
You can't tell that it's a doctored pic?

im assuming that is what it will look like but they exaggerated the metallic parts to make them stick out

Motion
02-22-2006, 11:34 AM
im assuming that is what it will look like but they exaggerated the metallic parts to make them stick out

There are no metallic parts to begin with, they threw all that crap in there to make it look "expensive". Pretty cheesy.

Slappy8800
02-22-2006, 11:36 AM
There are no metallic parts to begin with, they threw all that crap in there to make it look "expensive". Pretty cheesy.

how do u know this?

Motion
02-22-2006, 11:40 AM
how do u know this?

Cause I've seen quite a few pictures of the actual system.

http://www.finheaven.com/clear.gif

Slappy8800
02-22-2006, 11:41 AM
link?

Motion
02-22-2006, 11:44 AM
Cause I've seen quite a few pictures of the actual system.

http://www.finheaven.com/clear.gif

www.IGN.com (http://www.IGN.com)

Slappy8800
02-22-2006, 11:44 AM
oh i didnt realize that was the final product.....ewwwww thats fugly

thanks!

Motion
02-22-2006, 11:45 AM
oh i didnt realize that was the final product.....ewwwww thats fugly

thanks!

No problem :D

Amars
02-22-2006, 11:56 AM
look like ill be choosing xbox 360

Fynasty
02-24-2006, 08:43 PM
No problem :D

God I dont know how you kept it together lol

Better man than me :wink:

Samphin
02-25-2006, 05:48 PM
Yeesh. If that is true, count me out of the running. $1,000 bucks for a gaming system? I don't know about any of you, but I could care less if it has the best DVD player in it. I don't watch DVD's in my gaming systems.

Me thinks I will give my XBOX360 a big hug today and dream about Revolution.

Deus Ex Dolphin
02-25-2006, 07:20 PM
Sony has dropped hints about people "working overtime" to by a PS3, and have said it "will be expensive". I think they have tried to prepare fans for a $499 or maybe $599 price.

Insane prices? Maybe. MS has shown that a bundle at $400 can sell very well, so early adopters WILL pay the price.

Maybe Sony follows the MS lead, and has a "basic PS3" system for $499 and a "Deluxe PS3" that comes with a hard drive and hi-def cables for $599?

After an extra controller and one game (plus tax for most) that means another $125-$150. So, $650-$750 to get a PS3, extra controller, and ONE game?

Is that too much for the average gamer?

Nicky Napoleon
02-27-2006, 10:32 PM
Well I was in my local game store today when the Playstation rep was there and they said that it will be in the 400 dollar range.

Slappy8800
02-27-2006, 11:39 PM
Well I was in my local game store today when the Playstation rep was there and they said that it will be in the 400 dollar range.

sony also said CGI vids were of actual game footage

FinsNCanes
02-27-2006, 11:57 PM
I'd rather pay 600 for a next gen system then 400 or whatever it was another xbox that claims to be next gen.

Wildbill3
02-28-2006, 02:10 AM
The only thing that would draw me to any system is the RE series. That being said, I also like nintendos old guard of games and characters, and being able to play the new zelda game made for the GC on the revolution has a lot of appeal to me.

I can see owning a 360 and Revolution, but with sony selling nothing but spin so far, it looks like this won't be thier round.

Motion
02-28-2006, 09:58 AM
Sony has dropped hints about people "working overtime" to by a PS3, and have said it "will be expensive". I think they have tried to prepare fans for a $499 or maybe $599 price.

Insane prices? Maybe. MS has shown that a bundle at $400 can sell very well, so early adopters WILL pay the price.

Maybe Sony follows the MS lead, and has a "basic PS3" system for $499 and a "Deluxe PS3" that comes with a hard drive and hi-def cables for $599?

After an extra controller and one game (plus tax for most) that means another $125-$150. So, $650-$750 to get a PS3, extra controller, and ONE game?

Is that too much for the average gamer?

$150 for a game and controller? What in the world are you basing those prices on???

Motion
02-28-2006, 09:59 AM

I don't think it will be as much as people are saying. Absolutely no way its over $500.

Deus Ex Dolphin
02-28-2006, 02:56 PM
$150 for a game and controller? What in the world are you basing those prices on???

Well, $50 for a wireless controller, $60 for a game, right? And unless you live in Oregon (as I do) or Montana, you'll be paying around 7%-9% in Sales Tax on your TOTAL system purchase, right? So call it roughly another $40.

The cheapest I'd expect to see a PS3 is $399, for a basic system. Wired controller, no hard drive, no headset, no remote, etc.

Then a bundle package for $499 that includes a hard drive and a wireless controller, maybe a remote too.

I agree that going over the $500 mark is going to upset some people, you need some kind of bundle deal to make it seem like you're getting a lot for your money to make it work. Sony can't afford to lose $200 a system though, so it really depends on how much that Cell chip and Blu-Ray drive will cost them.

Either way, after adding in the cost of ONE game and an extra controller, plus Sales Tax it gets real expensive.

Motion
02-28-2006, 03:19 PM
Well, $50 for a wireless controller, $60 for a game, right? And unless you live in Oregon (as I do) or Montana, you'll be paying around 7%-9% in Sales Tax on your TOTAL system purchase, right? So call it roughly another $40.

The cheapest I'd expect to see a PS3 is $399, for a basic system. Wired controller, no hard drive, no headset, no remote, etc.

Then a bundle package for $499 that includes a hard drive and a wireless controller, maybe a remote too.

I agree that going over the $500 mark is going to upset some people, you need some kind of bundle deal to make it seem like you're getting a lot for your money to make it work. Sony can't afford to lose $200 a system though, so it really depends on how much that Cell chip and Blu-Ray drive will cost them.

Either way, after adding in the cost of ONE game and an extra controller, plus Sales Tax it gets real expensive.

9% sales tax! :eek: Wow! Only 5% here.

Are they even gonna have wired controllers? Haven't seen anything on them.

mor911
02-28-2006, 03:33 PM
9% sales tax! :eek: Wow! Only 5% here.

Are they even gonna have wired controllers? Haven't seen anything on them.
It's supposed to support up to 7 bluetooth wireless controllers. I'm not sure why they chose bluetooth as the wireless technology... I hate the bluetooth items I have.

Motion
02-28-2006, 03:39 PM
It's supposed to support up to 7 bluetooth wireless controllers. I'm not sure why they chose bluetooth as the wireless technology... I hate the bluetooth items I have.

Yeah I knew about the wireless controllers. I was curious about wired controllers, USB I would assume.

mor911
02-28-2006, 03:53 PM
Oh... lol duh. Re-read your post and didn't even realize you said wired. :D

Deus Ex Dolphin
02-28-2006, 08:39 PM
Actually, it is 0% here in Oregon, and Montana also has no Sales Tax (last time I was there, which was years ago). Even 5% means another $20 on a $400 system, but that isn't bad compared to the 8% Washington State has.

I'm just guessing there will be WIRED controllers, as they are much cheaper than wireless, for the budget gamer. I've loved the wireless controllers for my 360, and could never go back to wired full-time. Wireless let me put the 360 right on top of the entertainment center, above the TV, and no cords hang down to block the screen. :D This also let me keep the old Xbox right where it was, so no moving things around, except to clear a spot up top.

On the other hand, a budget gamer shouldn't be even looking at a PS3, so maybe Sony won't bother with wired controllers? :lol:

Motion
03-01-2006, 09:54 AM
Actually, it is 0% here in Oregon, and Montana also has no Sales Tax (last time I was there, which was years ago). Even 5% means another $20 on a $400 system, but that isn't bad compared to the 8% Washington State has.

I'm just guessing there will be WIRED controllers, as they are much cheaper than wireless, for the budget gamer. I've loved the wireless controllers for my 360, and could never go back to wired full-time. Wireless let me put the 360 right on top of the entertainment center, above the TV, and no cords hang down to block the screen. :D This also let me keep the old Xbox right where it was, so no moving things around, except to clear a spot up top.

On the other hand, a budget gamer shouldn't be even looking at a PS3, so maybe Sony won't bother with wired controllers? :lol:

This is true. I've used Logitech wireless controllers for my PS2 for years, I'll never go back to wired either.