PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have a Nintendo DS?

Philter25
02-21-2006, 04:14 PM
So Im thinking of getting a portable system. Im on the metro for 45 mins in the morning to work and the rides getting a little boring so I was going the whole GBA/DS/PSP debate....... truthfully, I just like the games on the Nintendo DS better than the PSP and now that the DS is down to 129 bucks w/ a free game and case, well, I almost made up my mind.

For those with a DS or who have played a DS, how did you like the touch screen? Has anyone played Mario64. I had a 64 when it first came out and I loved that game but my senses tell me that game would be hard to play using the stylus and touch pad.

The reason I chose the DS was the mario brothers and mario kart. Also, they are releasing a Zelda pretty soon and another classic mario brothers scrolling game...... Im old school so I think im going to go DS with my portable system. Any comments?

dominizzo
02-21-2006, 04:40 PM
I have it !!! dont waste your money

Philter25
02-21-2006, 05:26 PM
Why? What dont you like about it? Personally I love it and I loved Mario Kart DS.

Miami 13
02-24-2006, 05:54 PM
Do NOT get a DS. They are complete Crap intended for people ages 5-11. A kid I know has one and I played it and I couldn't believe how bad it was. I felt embarassed playing it. Get a PSP. It has good games and a lot better graphics and you can play any SNES, Sege Genesis games on it too for free. I have all the Mario games on my PSP usuing the GTA save game exploit and d/l the emus and roms for it. I have Chrono Trigger, Super Mario All Stars, Super Mario Kart, Zelda Link To The Past, Donkey Kong Country 1, 2, and 3, and Final Fantasy 3.

Of course this is just my opinion.

Medieval954
02-26-2006, 01:37 PM
If you can wait, The DS Lite is supposed to come out in May right around E3 time.

http://www.finheaven.com/images/imported/2006/02/nintendo_ds_lite-1.jpg

It's smaller, lighter, looks sleeker, the D-pad and buttons are supposedly better and the screens are supposed to be much brighter and crisper over the old DS.

The DS is a good choice if you're on a daily train ride since none of the games have load times and the battery life is very good. Also, if you want Nintendo games (Mario, Zelda, etc.), well then, the DS is your only choice. It's inexpensive and has a lot of very good games for it, most of which are well suited for the system. Super Mario Kart DS is a lot of fun and New Super Mario Bros. is rumored to be released alongside the DS Lite when it launches in North America. Also, last year, Nintendo did say they were contemplating a DS specific Zelda game, so maybe they'll show something at E3. But you can always buy The Legend of Zelda: The Minnish Cap and pop into the DS's GBA slot. It's a great Zelda game.

About Super Mario 64 DS, the game looks better than it did on the Nintendo 64, has more levels and stars to find and the unlockable touch screen mini-games are a lot of fun. But since the game was originally built around an analog stick and the D-pad is not analog, the main game is kind of a pain to play. I've read some people have used the touch screen with the thumbstrap nub with a lot of success, but I never realy got used to it. However, once you get used to the D-pad, you don't really think about it and I did finish the game using the D-pad only and it wasn't that bad.

Philter25
02-26-2006, 01:49 PM
Do NOT get a DS. They are complete Crap intended for people ages 5-11. A kid I know has one and I played it and I couldn't believe how bad it was. I felt embarassed playing it. Get a PSP. It has good games and a lot better graphics and you can play any SNES, Sege Genesis games on it too for free. I have all the Mario games on my PSP usuing the GTA save game exploit and d/l the emus and roms for it. I have Chrono Trigger, Super Mario All Stars, Super Mario Kart, Zelda Link To The Past, Donkey Kong Country 1, 2, and 3, and Final Fantasy 3.

Of course this is just my opinion.

I dont think either system is complete crap..... they both depend what you are looking for in a system. I agree, the graphics on the PSP are much much better than the DS and the PSP's screen is much better..... however as of right now, there are far better games for the DS.

The problem with the PSP is if you wanna do all the cool stuff, you need to drop another dime for a bigger memory stick and just to get your PSP to play all the nintendo games, you are already at almost triple the price of the nintendo DS...... at that price, I can get a laptop which is better than the PSP.

If you can wait, The DS Lite is supposed to come out in May right around E3 time.

http://www.joystiq.com/media/2006/01/nintendo_ds_lite.jpg

It's smaller, lighter, looks sleeker, the D-pad and buttons are supposedly better and the screens are supposed to be much brighter and crisper over the old DS.

The DS is a good choice if you're on a daily train ride since none of the games have load times and the battery life is very good. Also, if you want Nintendo games (Mario, Zelda, etc.), well then, the DS is your only choice. It's inexpensive and has a lot of very good games for it, most of which are well suited for the system. Super Mario Kart DS is a lot of fun and New Super Mario Bros. is rumored to be released alongside the DS Lite when it launches in North America. Also, last year, Nintendo did say they were contemplating a DS specific Zelda game, so maybe they'll show something at E3. But you can always buy The Legend of Zelda: The Minnish Cap and pop into the DS's GBA slot. It's a great Zelda game.

About Super Mario 64 DS, the game looks better than it did on the Nintendo 64, has more levels and stars to find and the unlockable touch screen mini-games are a lot of fun. But since the game was originally built around an analog stick and the D-pad is not analog, the main game is kind of a pain to play. I've read some people have used the touch screen with the thumb nub with a lot of success, but I never realy got used to it. However, once you get used to the D-pad, you don't really think about it and I did finish the game using the D-pad only and it wasn't that bad.

Yea I was going to wait a lil bit for the DS lite to come down. I want to see how the screen looks. Supposedly the DS Lite has much better battery life than the DS or PSP and hopefully the screen will be much brighter, not as good graphics as the PSP, but just more viewable and easier to play on.
Thanks for the post, its what I wanted to hear about Mario64.

dol_fan_81
02-26-2006, 03:43 PM
So Im thinking of getting a portable system. Im on the metro for 45 mins in the morning to work and the rides getting a little boring so I was going the whole GBA/DS/PSP debate....... truthfully, I just like the games on the Nintendo DS better than the PSP and now that the DS is down to 129 bucks w/ a free game and case, well, I almost made up my mind.

For those with a DS or who have played a DS, how did you like the touch screen? Has anyone played Mario64. I had a 64 when it first came out and I loved that game but my senses tell me that game would be hard to play using the stylus and touch pad.

The reason I chose the DS was the mario brothers and mario kart. Also, they are releasing a Zelda pretty soon and another classic mario brothers scrolling game...... Im old school so I think im going to go DS with my portable system. Any comments?

i have a DS, i love it but not bcause its the kinda thing you get addicted too, i dont play many video games and when i do its either and NFL or sonic game. a DS i would say is an ideal console for people who only want to play on occasion. you dont really play it a lot, but when your bored or going on a long journey, your glad its there. now i would definately suggest getting madden 06 on the DS because the way they use the touch screen on it is just amazing, but all you have to do on it is keep running.... i had the same problem when i was thinking of getting a DS, people constantly saying PSP?!?!? PSP!?!?!?!?! i dont care if the PSP is better, i know what i like and thats an occasional round on my DS, not a 99999 in 1 super duper storage cinema car gun system thing. so it depends what you want out of it. if your a gaming addict who plays all day, prob best to get the PSP, but if not the DS is my answer.

Philter25
02-26-2006, 04:50 PM
I have a full time job and I work 8-5. :lol: I used to be a gaming addict in college but this is going to just help me with my commute in the morning so I stop falling asleep and maybe something I bust out during slow days at work. :yes:

Prime
02-26-2006, 08:49 PM
You will like it at first and can't stop playing it, but it gets very boring after awhile. The last time I played my DS was about 4 months ago.