PDA

View Full Version : Francis traded to Knicks

phunwin
02-22-2006, 03:09 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2339941

This trade is wonderful on several levels.
1. Orlando has, effectively, traded Tracy McGrady for Trevor Ariza, Doug Christie, Penny Hardaway's expiring contract and a year and a half of Steve Francis. That makes the dearly departed Rob Babcock look like Red Auerbach by comparison.

2. Steve Francis and Stephon Marbury in the same backcourt? Is there any possible way that can end well for the Knicks? Let's see, both guys dominate the ball, sulk easily, play mediocre (Marbury) or worse (Francis) defense...hey, sounds like a match!

Here's the thing: in terms of pure value, this was a no-brainer for the Knicks. They basically got Steve Francis for nothing. And, if used properly, Francis would be a great addition to that team. If Francis was willing to be a 6th man, spelling Marbury at the point, playing the 2 when the Knicks want to go small, and even giving them a three-guard look, getting about 30-35 minutes a night in the process, that might work out well. In reality, he'll play the 2, be miserable about having to play in a backcourt with Marbury and possibly sulk his way out of the rotation, perhaps shattering Jerome James' record for fastest entrance to Larry Brown's doghouse.

byroan
02-22-2006, 03:13 PM
What's the Knicks payroll at now? :lol:

Ferretsquig
02-22-2006, 03:27 PM
On pure value alone what a great trade for Orlando. The Knicks are the only team that would of taken that contract, so you take what you can get. Now they can actually play someone who will pass Howard the ball and let the kid become a superstar.

Larry Brown must really want the money....I dont see how else he puts up with it. Its just one immature player who doesnt play defense after another....Curry, James, Rose, Crawford...and now Francis. Mabey the idea is that if you let the opposing team put up 110 a night they will actually be fun to watch.

zach13
02-22-2006, 03:29 PM
Isaiah Thomas is the worst front office man in the league.

He was a great great player but how he has a job is beyond me.

Joneal7
02-22-2006, 03:32 PM
i think this is a good trade for the Knicks but its also kinda good for the Magic to get cap space

kitt23
02-22-2006, 03:39 PM
its good 4 the knicks and bad, im a knicks fan as i live in NY. this is good because it allows marbury to rest more and its bad b/c francis has a big contract and him and marbury wont work well . I guarantee that!

Prime
02-22-2006, 05:37 PM
Someting tells me that Francis and Marbury will not get along with each other. Both of them will whine for the ball too much.

dominizzo
02-22-2006, 06:07 PM
WOOOW 2 hogggers that will complain unless they play smart and set up Big MAn Eddy Curry and Nate the greate Robinson

DolphinDevil28
02-22-2006, 06:12 PM
The Magic will now have the most cap room in the whole league this summer.

They are going to try to build around Dwight Howard, Darko and Jameer Nelson.

I'm still mad they didn't draft Danny Granger!!! :fire:

CanadaPhinsFan
02-22-2006, 06:34 PM

He has been unsuccessful as a GM everywhere he's been. I can't believe the Knicks haven't gotten rid of him yet.

Nappy Roots
02-22-2006, 06:52 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2339941

This trade is wonderful on several levels.
1. Orlando has, effectively, traded Tracy McGrady for Trevor Ariza, Doug Christie, Penny Hardaway's expiring contract and a year and a half of Steve Francis. That makes the dearly departed Rob Babcock look like Red Auerbach by comparison.

2. Steve Francis and Stephon Marbury in the same backcourt? Is there any possible way that can end well for the Knicks? Let's see, both guys dominate the ball, sulk easily, play mediocre (Marbury) or worse (Francis) defense...hey, sounds like a match!

Here's the thing: in terms of pure value, this was a no-brainer for the Knicks. They basically got Steve Francis for nothing. And, if used properly, Francis would be a great addition to that team. If Francis was willing to be a 6th man, spelling Marbury at the point, playing the 2 when the Knicks want to go small, and even giving them a three-guard look, getting about 30-35 minutes a night in the process, that might work out well. In reality, he'll play the 2, be miserable about having to play in a backcourt with Marbury and possibly sulk his way out of the rotation, perhaps shattering Jerome James' record for fastest entrance to Larry Brown's doghouse.

:mdfin: :mdfin:

MelbournePhin
02-22-2006, 10:47 PM
the magic have a good financial foundation for the future. but as always we'll mess it up

MikeO
02-23-2006, 12:32 AM

Larry Brown wanted this trade, not Isiah.

MikeO
02-23-2006, 01:51 AM
Someting tells me that Francis and Marbury will not get along with each other. Both of them will whine for the ball too much.

The Knicks are going nowhere fast. It's a no lose situation. They will never try to get under the cap so, if you are going to throw that option out the window, then this isnt' a bad move. Will it work? Probably not, but on the small chance it does they have to take that chance. What's the worst that can happen......they lose?!?! They are doing that now!

Pink_Dove
02-23-2006, 02:14 AM
Something else's got to be brewing. The Knicks have an overdose of guards right now. Anybody thinks this signals Starbury's end in NY ? I'm mostly hearing Jamal Crawford's name but the Knicks can't possibly keep all those guys happy, unless Robinson and Francis grow a couple inches and take over the 3 and 4 spots. :chuckle:

Roman529
02-23-2006, 02:50 AM

Another year of no playoffs for the Knicks....hard to miss the playoffs in the NBA with 8 teams making it in each conference yet the Knicks pull it off every year. Isaiah must have something over on the owners? :lol:

dob72
02-23-2006, 03:43 AM
dman the knicks are stupid

Alex44
02-23-2006, 04:03 AM

99% chance thats what happens

BUT

There is that 1% chance they say 'You know what I dont wanna lose lets make this work' and play well together

Im a heat fan and HATE the knicks but It pains me to see any team suck this bad....

DonShula84
02-23-2006, 04:25 AM
its good 4 the knicks and bad, im a knicks fan as i live in NY. this is good because it allows marbury to rest more and its bad b/c francis has a big contract and him and marbury wont work well . I guarantee that!

That's a lot of money to spend just so Marbury can get a rest. How many guards are the Knicks planning on getting btw?

phunwin
02-23-2006, 11:00 AM
The Magic will now have the most cap room in the whole league this summer.

They are going to try to build around Dwight Howard, Darko and Jameer Nelson.

I'm still mad they didn't draft Danny Granger!!! :fire:

I TOTALLY did not understand that move. Let's see, you've got Howard at the 4 and Nelson at the point, and Grant Hill just marking time until his wheels finally give out. So of course it makes total sense to pick another power forward who won't even be available for a year over a guy who was one of the best players in college basketball, plays the 3, and can do pretty much everything.

Something else's got to be brewing. The Knicks have an overdose of guards right now. Anybody thinks this signals Starbury's end in NY ? I'm mostly hearing Jamal Crawford's name but the Knicks can't possibly keep all those guys happy, unless Robinson and Francis grow a couple inches and take over the 3 and 4 spots.

If they don't move Crawford, they've failed miserably. Crawford, unlike Francis or Marbury, at least has the size to be a decent combo guard, although he plays even worse defense than Francis. He'll have value to someone.

I'd also try to move Q Richardson before his value falls even further, but that probably won't happen. Send him to some team that could use a three point gunner. How they haven't tried to work something out with Denver is beyond me.

phunwin
02-23-2006, 11:03 AM
That's a lot of money to spend just so Marbury can get a rest. How many guards are the Knicks planning on getting btw?

Well, let's see, they've got THREE shoot-first point guards in Francis, Crawford and Robinson. Personally, I think one shoot-first point is too many, and so does Larry Brown. (If Brown was behind this trade, as MikeO suggests, I have absolutely no idea why.) Marbury is a willing and able passer but still looks to shoot a lot and will generally dominate the ball. They've got a ballhog 2 guard in Richardson, but he's stapled to the bench. All told, those 5 guys are making roughly $45 million this year.

GreenMonster
02-23-2006, 11:05 AM
If Isiah can move Q and his bad back and bloated contract, that would be the 1st good move he has made..

Ferretsquig
02-23-2006, 11:23 AM
I thought Crawford was supposed to come in the package. Do they really want him in NY? Of the three hes the only one with a movable contract....mabey they can get Watson or another real PG for him. I doubt anyone would take Q with the length of that deal and the health questions.

phunwin
02-23-2006, 12:41 PM
I thought Crawford was supposed to come in the package. Do they really want him in NY? Of the three hes the only one with a movable contract....mabey they can get Watson or another real PG for him. I doubt anyone would take Q with the length of that deal and the health questions.

I'm guessing the Magic resisted taking on Crawford's contract, opting for massive cap room. He actually wouldn't be a bad fit in a backcourt with Jameer Nelson. Crawford's basically a 2 guard with some point skills, and it's never bad to have 2 ballhandlers who can pass. Of course, they'd get killed defensively, but what else is new? At least Crawford has the size to D up on a larger guard, if not the ability or desire.

And I agree; I don't expect the Knicks to successfully trade Richardson. But they should at least try. It's apparent he's not going to see daylight there.