PDA

View Full Version : Major arrogance from some members

Cutch1295
02-23-2006, 12:31 PM
Last time I checked no one on this board is a GM, NFL Coach etc but to hear some of you spout off your opinions and worse yet degrade someones else's thoughts just makes me laugh. I don't claim to be an expert, I just like to read some of the discussions until some arrogant SOB behind a computer screen gets all fired up about someones remarks. Discussions and debates are great but if some of you were as knowledgeable as you think you wouldn't be in the profession you are you would be on Saban's staff.

weisdolphins
02-23-2006, 12:33 PM
Last time I checked no one on this board is a GM, NFL Coach etc but to hear some of you spout off your opinions and worse yet degrade someones else's thoughts just makes me laugh. I don't claim to be an expert, I just like to read some of the discussions until some arrogant SOB behind a computer screen gets all fired up about someones remarks. Discussions and debates are great but if some of you were as knowledgeable as you think you wouldn't be in the profession you are you would be on Saban's staff.

Have to agree with you Cutch

SkapePhin
02-23-2006, 12:34 PM

What if I am on Saban's staff? :evil:

Fin Fan in Cali
02-23-2006, 12:35 PM
Last time I checked no one on this board is a GM, NFL Coach etc but to hear some of you spout off your opinions and worse yet degrade someones else's thoughts just makes me laugh. I don't claim to be an expert, I just like to read some of the discussions until some arrogant SOB behind a computer screen gets all fired up about someones remarks. Discussions and debates are great but if some of you were as knowledgeable as you think you wouldn't be in the profession you are you would be on Saban's staff.Great post Brother! It is okay to disagree, however do it with respect to a fellow family member!:wink:

Fin Fan in Cali
02-23-2006, 12:36 PM
What if I am on Saban's staff? :evil::sidelol: No!:sidelol:

john00agent
02-23-2006, 12:36 PM

yeah, i used to love this site, but i rarely post anymore b/c of the guys that think they know it all b/c they have 100000 posts.....get a life!

Fin Fan in Cali
02-23-2006, 12:38 PM
yeah, i used to love this site, but i rarely post anymore b/c of the guys that think they know it all b/c they have 100000 posts.....get a life!24.00 get's youinto the VIP Forum! Great stuff, and very civil to one another. Just a thought Bro!:wink:

SacTownPhinFan
02-23-2006, 12:39 PM

Join the VIP section...it's a totally different feel to it. Although even in there the Ricky Williams issue can push some buttons. :wink:

SkapePhin
02-23-2006, 12:39 PM
:sidelol: No!:sidelol:

Thats me holding the bag for Ricky.. :)

Fin Fan in Cali
02-23-2006, 12:40 PM
Thats me holding the bag for Ricky.. :):sidelol: :wink:

SacTownPhinFan
02-23-2006, 12:40 PM
24.00 get's youinto the VIP Forum! Great stuff, and very civil to one another. Just a thought Bro!:wink:

Ah, Brother FinFan beat me to it...always the peace maker. :D

Motion
02-23-2006, 12:41 PM
Welcome to the wonderful land of free speech.

No way around it.

flintsilver7
02-23-2006, 12:44 PM
You don't have to be a GM or work in professional sports to make observations and have discussions with people. Calling people arrogant who engage in disagreements makes no sense. Personal attacks are rather annoying and have no place here - that's why they're against the terms of use of this board. Disagreements themselves are fine, as long as people say "well, I don't think that's the way to go because of reasons X, Y, and Z," rather than saying "you're an idiot for thinking that." No messageboard anywhere has need of that.

Following this logic, you should append this to each message:

"The above opinions and comments are ultimately meaningless since they do not come from the staff or coaches of the Miami Dolphins organization. Ignore the bloviating, as the decisions made by the coaching staff are infallible."

I can't believe this. It seems to absolve the front office and staff from responsibility for bad decisions. With this logic, our opinions become meaningless and the messageboard itself really has no reason to exist. I happily bloviate about the Dolphins and their personnel moves, game play, and everything else because it's fun. While our discussions here might have ultimately zero effect on what happens on the field, that doesn't make us any less (or more) objectively correct.

Itsdahumidity
02-23-2006, 12:46 PM
Thats me holding the bag for Ricky.. :)

"there is no bag"

Miamibyrd_24
02-23-2006, 12:47 PM
I hear what you saying, but I feel thats what makes a forum. The differences of opinions. If everything was just neutral, just imagine what this forum will be like. Some post I like, some I don't, but I think it keeps the forums strong.

Cutch1295
02-23-2006, 12:47 PM
FLINTSILVER7 you completely missed the point that everyone else seems to have gotten. Re-read my thread.

Spector
02-23-2006, 12:50 PM
What if I am on Saban's staff? :evil:

That is you with the weed isnt it?

BennyVW
02-23-2006, 12:52 PM
I would like exceptions made to all posts where" Player X should switch to position Y" I cant stand that, and try my hardest to just ignore it...

Otherwise: We are all fin fans and ultimatly just want them to do good. And frankly thats all you need to respect somebody...

LOCAL SCUM!
02-23-2006, 12:55 PM
Yea, but some are just talking out of their "fantasies". They haven't really bothered themselves to think,"is this a realistic possibility?". They'll just start threads on a random thought.

flintsilver7
02-23-2006, 12:56 PM
FLINTSILVER7 you completely missed the point that everyone else seems to have gotten. Re-read my thread.

You didn't give any examples. I interpreted your post a certain way as it is most clearly stated. If you were trying to get across a specific point, then give me an example of what you mean.

There must be a post or thread you are referring to - something that spurred you to post this. Give me a link and I'll have a better idea of what you're getting at. It sounds to me like you're ultimately suggesting interpersonal conflict should not exist on these boards.

LOCAL SCUM!
02-23-2006, 12:59 PM
I would like exceptions made to all posts where" Player X should switch to position Y" I cant stand that, and try my hardest to just ignore it...

Otherwise: We are all fin fans and ultimatly just want them to do good. And frankly thats all you need to respect somebody...

yep..some are just not realistic. But in the end your right...EVERYBODY's Watching on Sundays and rooting! Or at the Stadiums and being LOUD for the FIns. I gotta remember that more often..(members are dolfans...members are dolfans..members are dolfans..) cause if not::oldman:

3Ply Stagliano
02-23-2006, 01:02 PM
As far as I could tell (and please correct me if this is wrong) the initial post in this thread primarily called for people to respect one another, whether or not they agree with their opinions 100%. The theme I took from it was that none of us is really a great expert on football, some of us imagine ourselves to be just that and we can all be civil with one another. Of course, I could be wrong. It wouldn't be the first time and certainly won't be the last.

BlueFin
02-23-2006, 01:03 PM
24.00 get's youinto the VIP Forum! Great stuff, and very civil to one another. Just a thought Bro!:wink:

Yeah right, there are no arrogant know it alls in the VIP forum are there?:rolleyes2

SoDakDolfan
02-23-2006, 01:09 PM
I enjoy the forum and reading all of the opinions, even though some of them are obviously way, way out in left field. What I don't like are the "You're an idiot" posts or the angry, obscenity filter pushing diatribes. I love discussions of opinions from different points of view, but please people, try to actually be civil and educated in your posts.

Phin
02-23-2006, 01:09 PM
You don't have to be a GM or work in professional sports to make observations and have discussions with people. Calling people arrogant who engage in disagreements makes no sense. Personal attacks are rather annoying and have no place here - that's why they're against the terms of use of this board. Disagreements themselves are fine, as long as people say "well, I don't think that's the way to go because of reasons X, Y, and Z," rather than saying "you're an idiot for thinking that." No messageboard anywhere has need of that.

Following this logic, you should append this to each message:

"The above opinions and comments are ultimately meaningless since they do not come from the staff or coaches of the Miami Dolphins organization. Ignore the bloviating, as the decisions made by the coaching staff are infallible."

I can't believe this. It seems to absolve the front office and staff from responsibility for bad decisions. With this logic, our opinions become meaningless and the messageboard itself really has no reason to exist. I happily bloviate about the Dolphins and their personnel moves, game play, and everything else because it's fun. While our discussions here might have ultimately zero effect on what happens on the field, that doesn't make us any less (or more) objectively correct.

I agree with this...

Although I understand what the original poster is preaching, I find this topic just as pointless as what he deems to be pointless. Forums are and always will be opinionated and, at times, there will be posts that don't seem logical. Not everyone is cut from the same mold and therefore there will be different perspectives addressed in many topics. It is the blood that keeps the "FinHeaven" heart pumping. Just remember... you need not read every outlandish post you see.

inFINSible
02-23-2006, 01:23 PM
Yeah right, there are no arrogant know it alls in the VIP forum are there?:rolleyes2
How would you know that? who are your sources??

:link:

:tongue:

Philter25
02-23-2006, 01:44 PM
Madden ruined some peoples concepts of how football really works.

Fin Fan in Cali
02-23-2006, 01:45 PM
Yeah right, there are no arrogant know it alls in the VIP forum are there?:rolleyes2It is a more relaxed atmosphere. There maybe some that think they know more then others, however we try to communicate, along with debate, and discuss our differences. Why don't you join, and experience it for yourself first hand?:wink:

Fin Fan in Cali
02-23-2006, 01:47 PM
Yeah right, there are no arrogant know it alls in the VIP forum are there?:rolleyes2I get the sense of negativity, may I ask why?

Philter25
02-23-2006, 01:51 PM
I dont think he is being negative, more along the lines of being truthful.

Coral Reefer
02-23-2006, 01:53 PM

There are many posters that generate good posts and well thought out points.

Unfortunately there are plenty of posts that border on the edge (putting it nicely) of being assinine. I have no problem with people pointing out just how rediculous some posts are.

Coral Reefer
02-23-2006, 01:55 PM
Madden ruined some peoples concepts of how football really works.

:lol:

How true is that!

I don't know how many posts I've seen referencing a players ratings on Madden as scouting tools.
Lets not even get into all the crazy trade ideas it generates.
Friggin hilarious.

WharfRat
02-23-2006, 02:10 PM
I dont think he is being negative, more along the lines of being truthful.

truthfull about what?
have you been in there recently? :confused:

Philter25
02-23-2006, 02:23 PM
truthfull about what?
have you been in there recently? :confused:

No I havent been in there, but Im not blind and I can see the "VIP tag" under some peoples names who I consider to be the "know it all" type. Im not making this post in a negative way, and I didnt take BlueFin's in a negative way either, but sometimes some people dont realize that they might come off as that type. Its human nature and socially normal for people to perceive things differently, especially when posting on a message board. Therefore I dont think he was being negative and therefore probably truthful in his post.

I consider myself to be pretty well educated about how the NFL works but however I know there are more knowledgeable people on this site who's opinions I value and like to learn from. However that isnt always the case with people. I will use the salary cap as an example........ I have seen numerous "arragant know it all posts" about cutting or trading a player that if they knew anything about the salary cap, they would realize their idea was absolutely horrible. The person who made the post, not knowing much about the salary cap, feels very confident in his idea because based on his background knowledge, he thinks its an excellent idea because he isnt aware of certain salary cap principles.

Another example I have seen posted by a few VIP members are ridiculous trade ideas, suggesting players on this team change position, and posts in the draft forum where if they had more background knowledge on certain things, they would see how ridiculous their suggestion really was.

I have even see a few posts where people have posted very strongly towards a certain college football player, which Im sure their posts came off as a know-it-all type, and then admitted a few posts later that they dont watch much college football. :lol:

Those are just a small handful of examples where a post by a person can be perceived as coming off as the "arragant know it all" type.

Therefore, I think its truthful to say that there are at least a handful of the "arrogant know it all types" in the VIP section.

Heck, Im sure after I made fun of a few posts and ripped apart a few trade ideas or based someone for knowing nothing about the salary cap, there has to be at least one member on here that views me as the arragant know-it-all type.

WharfRat
02-23-2006, 02:31 PM
No I havent been in there, but Im not blind and I can see the "VIP tag" under some peoples names who I consider to be the "know it all" type. Im not making this post in a negative way, and I didnt take BlueFin's in a negative way either, but sometimes some people dont realize that they might come off as that type. Its human nature and socially normal for people to perceive things differently, especially when posting on a message board. Therefore I dont think he was being negative and therefore probably truthful in his post.

I consider myself to be pretty well educated about how the NFL works but however I know there are more knowledgeable people on this site who's opinions I value and like to learn from. However that isnt always the case with people. I will use the salary cap as an example........ I have seen numerous "arragant know it all posts" about cutting or trading a player that if they knew anything about the salary cap, they would realize their idea was absolutely horrible. The person who made the post, not knowing much about the salary cap, feels very confident in his idea because based on his background knowledge, he thinks its an excellent idea because he isnt aware of certain salary cap principles.

Another example I have seen posted by a few VIP members are ridiculous trade ideas, suggesting players on this team change position, and posts in the draft forum where if they had more background knowledge on certain things, they would see how ridiculous their suggestion really was.

Those are just a small handful of examples where a post by a person can be perceived as coming off as the "arragant know it all" type.

Therefore, I think its truthful to say that there are at least a handful of the "arrogant know it all types" in the VIP section.

Heck, Im sure after I made fun of a few posts and ripped apart a few trade ideas or based someone for knowing nothing about the salary cap, there has to be at least one member on here that views me as the arragant know-it-all type.

duly noted... but remember that in any population, there will be those who think they know more than they do...
however... the atmosphere in VIP is much more relaxed, and you have all but zero useless threads. there is much less of what you and cutch are describing in there....that was the point :wink:

Philter25
02-23-2006, 02:42 PM
Im sure you are correct and I wouldnt debate that at all. Im sure eliminating most of the "fluff" posts was why the VIP was created. And I completely agree that in ANY population there are always those people. :yes:

However that doesnt mean that there arent any know-it-alls in the VIP section, thats why I dont think BlueFin was being negative at all, just truthful based on posts made by certain people he might perceive to be know-it-alls that can be seen by everyone in every forum.

Fin Fan in Cali
02-23-2006, 02:45 PM

I have even see a few posts where people have posted very strongly towards a certain college football player, which Im sure their posts came off as a know-it-all type, and then admitted a few posts later that they dont watch much college football. :lol:

Heck, Im sure after I made fun of a few posts and ripped apart a few trade ideas or based someone for knowing nothing about the salary cap, there has to be at least one member on here that views me as the arragant know-it-all type.Brother thanks for sharing! I don't look at the badges, I get to know and appreciate the person I am talking to. I try to appreciate all members of the family. I also try to keep the peace, and the respect as I see it. I am not a Mod, however I am a proud member of the family. :wink:

FIN-IN-RI
02-23-2006, 07:24 PM

Your problem is that your taking it all on a personal level. It's a natural feeling and from my experience, the only way to ignore it is to laugh at the arrogant people. I laugh at myself all of the time.

Laughing at the people that think they know but have no idea what they are saying and are being completely illogical does wonders for the stress level.

Give the arrogance back to 'em if you know you're right jsut don;t insult them and you'll be good to go.:wink:

FIN-IN-RI
02-23-2006, 07:26 PM
Brother thanks for sharing! I don't look at the badges, I get to know and appreciate the person I am talking to. I try to appreciate all members of the family. I also try to keep the peace, and the respect as I see it. I am not a Mod, however I am a proud member of the family. :wink:

Woah man..

Your are wwwaaaaayy too loving. Not that there is anything wrong with that at all, I just cringe when I read it sometimes.:)

FIN-IN-RI
02-23-2006, 07:30 PM

There are plenty. It's more respectful in there though and much less filth.

Most people in there realize that there is someone more knowledgeable than them (gasp!) about a given subject and they live with it and post in a civil way.

Fin Fan in Cali
02-23-2006, 07:37 PM
Woah man..

Your are wwwaaaaayy too loving. Not that there is anything wrong with that at all, I just cringe when I read it sometimes.:)Bro I just look at it this way, we are family and we should treat each other the way we would want to get treated. Life is way to short to be arrogant or bitter. I think that sometimes as a family we lose site of that just like Cutch1295 here is saying. That taste takes away from the Family atmosphere that Finheaven is all about!:wink: I learn stuff, and make new friendships here everyday.:wink:

FIN-IN-RI
02-23-2006, 07:50 PM
Bro I just look at it this way, we are family and we should treat each other the way we would want to get treated. Life is way to short to be arrogant or bitter. I think that sometimes as a family we lose site of that just like Cutch1295 here is saying. That taste takes away from the Family atmosphere that Finheaven is all about!:wink: I learn stuff, and make new friendships here everyday.:wink:

You're a good soul FFiC.. One of a kind, man..

Cheers

Fin Fan in Cali
02-23-2006, 07:56 PM
You're a good soul FFiC.. One of a kind, man..

CheersSame to you Brother!:drinkers:

WharfRat
02-23-2006, 08:03 PM
Life is way to short to be arrogant or bitter

:clap:

:allhail:

inFINSible
02-23-2006, 08:30 PM
There are plenty. It's more respectful in there though and much less filth.

Most people in there realize that there is someone more knowledgeable than them (gasp!) about a given subject and they live with it and post in a civil way.
I think that the longer people are on a MB posting their thoughts, the more they get to see that they're not always right.

THAT'S when they start acting normal and stop all the senseless arguing about somebody elses opinion.

I call it cyber-turity.

DrAstroZoom
02-24-2006, 04:36 PM
I am a GM. A Great Man. Bow to me.

Sorry, I just wanted to know what arrogance felt like for a second. Whoa.

FIN-IN-RI
02-24-2006, 05:39 PM
I am a GM. A Great Man. Bow to me.

Sorry, I just wanted to know what arrogance felt like for a second. Whoa.

:chuckle: It's fun to do sometimes!

welderpat
02-28-2006, 12:02 AM
My member is not arrogant,
Just comfortably confidant.
:wpat:

King Nate
02-28-2006, 12:03 AM
My member is not arrogant,
Just comfortably confidant.
:wpat:

Zing!

Wildbill3
02-28-2006, 02:23 AM
I'm the one who drew the Sword!!!

(this will make no sense whatsoever when I change my sig/avatar combo.)

The Samurai
02-28-2006, 07:02 AM

Then don't read the arrogance. Your not forced to read the arrogance posted on the forum. Just skip over the garbage. :o

BLITZKRIEG
02-28-2006, 02:52 PM
Your problem is that your taking it all on a personal level. It's a natural feeling and from my experience, the only way to ignore it is to laugh at the arrogant people. I laugh at myself all of the time.

Laughing at the people that think they know but have no idea what they are saying and are being completely illogical does wonders for the stress level.

Let me try it....:sidelol:

Wow, you're right, laughing at the arrogant people, or the one's who think they know everything really works!!!! Man, what a concept!!! Thanks....

PHINZ RULE!!!