PDA

View Full Version : Omar Jacobs

jonanthans
02-27-2006, 08:11 PM
Omar Jacobs stats:

25 games, 523 completions on 811 attempts, 64.5% completion rate, 6938 yards. 71 TD's, 11 picks.

Motion
02-27-2006, 08:20 PM
:confused: And?

god-wears-13
02-27-2006, 08:22 PM
That's actually very interesting....I didn't realize Omar's stats were that impressive!!! Maybe we can get Brees and draft Omar in like the second round or something so we have a great backup that can start in the future.

tucker
02-27-2006, 08:28 PM
and this couldnt go into one of the many threads already on this guy?

Skeet84
02-27-2006, 08:33 PM
I think Omar Jacobs could become a very nice QB, However I think drafting him only as high as the 3rd. 2nd is too high for him. If we get Brees than alot of options are gunna open up for us!

Motion
02-27-2006, 08:46 PM
and this couldnt go into one of the many threads already on this guy?

Thats what I was thinking, theres only about 4 on the first page alone.

god-wears-13
02-27-2006, 08:51 PM
True. Our biggest need will be out of the way and Saban could have another field day in the draft!!!!!!!!

jonanthans
02-27-2006, 09:03 PM
Thats what I was thinking, theres only about 4 on the first page alone.

So dont read it.

Skeet84
02-27-2006, 10:24 PM
Can't we all get along? :D

Flyer22
02-27-2006, 10:53 PM
Can't we all get along? :D
:groovy: Hahahaha...I doubt it

Motion
02-27-2006, 11:52 PM
So dont read it.
Whats the point? Its not hard to look up stats.

saves
02-28-2006, 12:27 AM
So dont read it.

Point is, its hard to find new information on the board when the same things get posted over and over. Looking back a page to see if there is a relative topic (or in this case looking 5 threads down) would help the board out immensly.

super_slash
02-28-2006, 12:42 AM
Philip Rivers - funny release

Rothlesberger - dominated the MAC

Omar Jacobs - totally disrespected, I feel bad for him

super_slash
02-28-2006, 12:44 AM
My Dream (for now)
1. Michael Huff (DB)
2. Bobby Carpenter (LB)
3. Omar Jacobs (QB)
4. Anthony Smith(DB)
5. Cameron Vaughn (LB)
6. Skylar Green

that is a sweet mock dude

saves
02-28-2006, 01:30 AM
that is a sweet mock dude Thanks alot...its looking like Carpenter won't be there for sure, I'll have to fix that.

Skeet84
02-28-2006, 01:37 AM
Point is, its hard to find new information on the board when the same things get posted over and over. Looking back a page to see if there is a relative topic (or in this case looking 5 threads down) would help the board out immensly.

Yeah we still don't have a 5th and a 6th :D
I am talking about the dream mock you have

saves
02-28-2006, 02:00 AM
Yeah we still don't have a 5th and a 6th :D
I am talking about the dream mock you have

I knew the 5, but where did the 6 go?

BTW, in my dream we have 6 picks!

Skeet84
02-28-2006, 02:06 AM
Ummmm the A.J. Feely for Cleo Lemon deal.

saves
02-28-2006, 02:17 AM
Ummmm the A.J. Feely for Cleo Lemon deal.

Ahh..thanks for reminding me. I all but cleared out all AJ knowledge from my head.:D

Skeet84
02-28-2006, 02:23 AM
Ahh..thanks for reminding me. I all but cleared out all AJ knowledge from my head.:D

I think I should erase all knowledge of him from my head too. Everytime I think about us trading a 2nd round pick for him I have a headache. :boohoo:

saves
02-28-2006, 02:46 AM
I think I should erase all knowledge of him from my head too. Everytime I think about us trading a 2nd round pick for him I have a headache. :boohoo:
:lol:
Just think of the future, brighter days are ahead:dolphins: :D

Pennington's Rocket Arm
02-28-2006, 12:24 PM
college stats are pretty meaningless.

jonanthans
02-28-2006, 07:18 PM
Whats the point? Its not hard to look up stats.

True anyone can look up stats. Anyone can also look on ESPN and other media outlets to get the same conversations we are having on these boards, but that is the purpose of these boards, to say what we want to say. And if it bothers you so much, why did you even click on the thread, it was clearly titled Omar Jacobs, if that is not a topic you are interested in, pass it up.

Motion
02-28-2006, 10:37 PM
True anyone can look up stats. Anyone can also look on ESPN and other media outlets to get the same conversations we are having on these boards, but that is the purpose of these boards, to say what we want to say. And if it bothers you so much, why did you even click on the thread, it was clearly titled Omar Jacobs, if that is not a topic you are interested in, pass it up.

Easy killer, I'm interested in all the topics relating to the draft. I was simply suggesting it was alittle odd to have a thread with just his stats when there were several other threads about Jacobs. No biggie.

Dors156
02-28-2006, 10:42 PM
i think omar will be awsome in the nfl with the right group.he cant be with a team like the texans but he would be awsome in our offense.i have actually watched some of his games since last year.if hes there in the third we have to snag him.especially knowing he could learn from a QB like brees or if we get mcnair

miamiron
02-28-2006, 10:50 PM
i think omar will be awsome in the nfl with the right group.he cant be with a team like the texans but he would be awsome in our offense.i have actually watched some of his games since last year.if hes there in the third we have to snag him.especially knowing he could learn from a QB like brees or if we get mcnair

DON'T EVEN JOKE ABOUT GETTING MCNAIR...PLEEEEEEESE!!!!

MiamiRon

Dolfan11
03-01-2006, 12:30 PM
My Dream (for now)
1. Michael Huff (DB)
2. Bobby Carpenter (LB)
3. Omar Jacobs (QB)
4. Anthony Smith(DB)
5. Cameron Vaughn (LB)
6. Skylar Green(WR)

I would rather have Winston Justice/Eric Winston/Jonathon Scott in the 1st (not sure their all 1st round calibur players). In the 2nd, if Bing/Simpson/Allen drop that far, I would take one of them instead of Carpenter. Nice mock though.

ete
03-01-2006, 12:38 PM
college stats are pretty meaningless.
I disagree. Collegiate production is more important than NFL potential when it comes to gauging college prospects for the NFL draft.

Witness the Tampa Bay Bucanneers; For years, they drafted players based on their potential for NFL success. They wind up one of the most losingest (sp?) NFL franchises. Enter Tony Dungy and his NFL drafting philosophy based on collegiate production. Viola... The sad-sack Bucs win their first Super Bowl. (Ok, not under Dungy, but you get my drift...)

I'm glad I'm not an NFL scout. That has to be one of the hardest jobs, trying to gauge a collegiate prospect based on his production, his potential and zillion other intangibles that come into the mix. :)

Pennington's Rocket Arm
03-01-2006, 01:02 PM
the bucs made horrible draft picks because they didn't know what they were doing. they drafted trent dilfer despite not talking to him or even WATCHING HIM WORKOUT before the draft. they did draft bo jackson, vinny testeverde, steve young, mike alstott, john lynch, etc. they either just made stupid picks or potentially good players were ruined by a horrible coaching staff. college players aren't finished products, you can't go by what numbers they put up in college.

jonanthans
03-01-2006, 01:06 PM
the bucs made horrible draft picks because they didn't know what they were doing. they drafted trent dilfer despite not talking to him or even WATCHING HIM WORKOUT before the draft. they did draft bo jackson, vinny testeverde, steve young, mike alstott, john lynch, etc. they either just made stupid picks or potentially good players were ruined by a horrible coaching staff. college players aren't finished products, you can't go by what numbers they put up in college.

The numbers play a significant part in the evaluation. Show me a Qb who had horrible college numbers who was drafted.

Pennington's Rocket Arm
03-01-2006, 01:09 PM
The numbers play a significant part in the evaluation. Show me a Qb who had horrible college numbers who was drafted.
kyle boller.

jonanthans
03-01-2006, 01:24 PM
kyle boller.

Boller actually proves statistics are important.

Senior Season
completed 225 of 421 for 2,815 yards, 28 TD's and 10 Ints. He had bad stats his first 3 seasons, then when Jeff Tedford came aboard he had a great senior season, propelling him up the draft charts. So based on his Senior Season stats , he got himself invited to the combine and into the first round.

(from Pro Draft Central)
Summary: May have improved as much as any quarterback in the country and went from a free agent to a first-round pick in the past year. As long as he shows adequate accuracy at his pro day, Boller will be one of the first quarterbacks taken.

Pennington's Rocket Arm
03-01-2006, 01:32 PM
yes it proves why stats SHOULDN'T be important.

saves
03-01-2006, 01:42 PM
yes it proves why stats SHOULDN'T be important.
Stats are not as important as some make them out to be. So many variables such as coaching style, talent of team mants, tendencies to throw in the redzone all can inflate of deflate a players stats. But the point here is, BAD stats have definatly not translated into NFL success.
Omar has good stats both years he handeled the football. Whitehurst showed inconsistency during his tenure starting.
Boller is kind of an enigma because while he put up good numbers his senior year, Jeff Tedford is known to "break the mold" and churn guys that seem to have it all together, just to fail. Akili Smith, Joey Harrington, Trent Dilfer...the list goes on with guys he created that didn't pan out.

Pennington's Rocket Arm
03-01-2006, 02:11 PM
yes boller put up good numbers because of tedford's dumbed-down QB-friendly offense. he had something of a 48% completion rate before his senior season.

i may be alone, but i don't look at stats, i don't like at awards, championships, wins, etc. i look at what they do to GET those things.

jonanthans
03-01-2006, 11:31 PM
yes boller put up good numbers because of tedford's dumbed-down QB-friendly offense. he had something of a 48% completion rate before his senior season.

i may be alone, but i don't look at stats, i don't like at awards, championships, wins, etc. i look at what they do to GET those things.

NFL teams look at all aspects of a potential player. They look at their stats, they look at their body build, their mechanics, what offense they ran in college, quality of team they had around them.

And, for the record, Cal's offense is considered a Pro-Style offense. A dumbed down Qb friendly offense is what Texas ran last year.

Pennington's Rocket Arm
03-02-2006, 01:07 AM
And, for the record, Cal's offense is considered a Pro-Style offense. A dumbed down Qb friendly offense is what Texas ran last year.
cal's offense isn't pro-style at all. not from the quarterback perspective. the whole thing is based around the running game. joey harrington had 2 1000-yard rushers, boller had 2 as well, and they had 2 this past season. the QB just has to make 2 short reads to stationary receivers. rarely do they throw the deep ball. it's really just a simplified west coast, although the backs aren't used as much for receiving. texas certainly ran a dumbed-down offense, but at least they threw the ball downfield a lot more. aaron rodgers completed his first 24 or so passes against USC a few years ago, hardly ever throwing more than 7 yards downfield.

jonanthans
03-02-2006, 01:36 AM
cal's offense isn't pro-style at all. not from the quarterback perspective. the whole thing is based around the running game. joey harrington had 2 1000-yard rushers, boller had 2 as well, and they had 2 this past season. the QB just has to make 2 short reads to stationary receivers. rarely do they throw the deep ball. it's really just a simplified west coast, although the backs aren't used as much for receiving. texas certainly ran a dumbed-down offense, but at least they threw the ball downfield a lot more. aaron rodgers completed his first 24 or so passes against USC a few years ago, hardly ever throwing more than 7 yards downfield.

(from TOTK.com sports)
Aaron Rodgers, California- Great arm strength and comes from a pro style offense learned under quarterback guru Jeff Tedford. He has decent speed and can throw on the run. He reminds me of Baltimore’s Kyle Boller (a Cal alum), but with more talent and hopefully better offensive players around him.
(from NFL Draft Weekly)
He was remarkably efficient in Jeff Tedford's pro-style offense, and he should make a quick transition to the NFL. He also has great leadership skills and intelligence, and was almost like an extension of the coaching staff out on the field.))

Juan Cribbs, Im starting to wonder what you are smoking. Why do you think every Qb that comes from Tedford is given a thorough look? Its because they already have experience in a pro-style offense.

btw, where did you play football at, and did you play offense or defense?

Pennington's Rocket Arm
03-02-2006, 01:55 AM
you're using what is said on TOTK.com as a reference? "Sportswriting for the fans, by the fans since 1995." why do you think tedford's QBs are starting to get lots of critics? scouts aren't being fooled anymore. rodgers dropped for a reason. tedford's offense LOOKS like a pro-style offense from the first-look, but once you look into it more, there's no audibles, the QB has limited options to keep things simple...the only "pro-style" about is that they always drop back to pass from a standard I-Formation or other similar sets.

tedford's QBs get a good look because they usually have good mechanics, good size and put up good numbers. but it's pretty obvious that's not how you should judge a QB. before tedford simplifed things for boller, he was awful.

and i obviously never played organized football.

jonanthans
03-02-2006, 02:55 AM
[quote=Juan Cribbs]you're using what is said on TOTK.com as a reference? "Sportswriting for the fans, by the fans since 1995." tedford's offense LOOKS like a pro-style offense from the first-look, but once you look into it more, there's no audibles, the QB has limited options to keep things simple...the only "pro-style" about is that they always drop back to pass from a standard I-Formation or other similar sets.

tedford's QBs get a good look because they usually have good mechanics, good size and put up good numbers. but it's pretty obvious that's not how you should judge a QB. before tedford simplifed things for boller, he was awful.}}}}}}}}}}}}

And NFL DRAFT WEEKLY, and tons of other sites and publications. Everyone else seems to think he runs a pro-style offense. I guess they didnt look into it closer like you did, huh? lol

Pennington's Rocket Arm
03-02-2006, 03:12 AM
everyone else? proove it. i'd love to see what these people think, because they're wrong.

jonanthans
03-02-2006, 03:32 AM
everyone else? proove it. i'd love to see what these people think, because they're wrong.

from Pro Football Weekly http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW/NFLDraft/Draft+Insider/2005/wwhi032905.htm
Because Rodgers is more NFL-ready than Smith, having played in a pro-style offense and being three years Smith’s elder with great poise, an NFL assistant general manager estimated the chances of the Niners selecting Rodgers at 80 percent over the past weekend.

from The Sports Network
http://www.sportsnetwork.com/default.asp?c=sportsnetwork&page=nfl/misc/moss/scrimmage_062305.htm
13. Jeff Tedford, Head Coach, California - The 43-year-old Tedford has tutored many a future NFL quarterback (Trent Dilfer, Kyle Boller, Joey Harrington, David Carr) within a pro-style scheme, and built something out of nothing with the Golden Bears (25-13 with three bowl appearances in three seasons). Tedford has no NFL experience, however.

here are some others

http://www.everydayshouldbesaturday.com/?p=1718
http://www.ffmastermind.com/madnessguidesneakpeek.php
http://www.footballoutsiders.com/2005/03/15/ramblings/four-downs/2428/
www.sportsopinionator.com (http://www.sportsopinionator.com)
www.vegasexperts.com/articles (http://www.vegasexperts.com/articles)
http://calbears.collegesports.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/020106aac.html