PDA

View Full Version : Chad Greenway...

oodolphins
02-27-2006, 10:13 PM
benched 225 lbs. only 16 times. Now, I am not saying this is a big deal, but does anyone else think that 16 is a low number (no smart@$$ comments please)? I saw someone benched 225 lbs. 41 times today at the combine.

Thoughts?

Skeet84
02-27-2006, 10:14 PM
I believe Jay Cutler lifted that 23 times

albyfinfan
02-27-2006, 10:16 PM
i think 16 is a little low for a LB especially one with 1st rd. talent

oodolphins
02-27-2006, 10:17 PM
i think 16 is a little low for a LB especially one with 1st rd. talent

I'm glad I'm not the only one that thinks this way.

god-wears-13
02-27-2006, 10:19 PM
3 more!

phinfan_1
02-27-2006, 10:20 PM
benched 225 lbs. only 16 times. Now, I am not saying this is a big deal, but does anyone else think that 16 is a low number (no smart@$$ comments please)? I saw someone benched 225 lbs. 41 times today at the combine.

Thoughts?
Yeah I seen that...Yeah it's low for a LB, but I don't think most people that watched him play put much stock in his bench press. Although it definetly won't help him either.

god-wears-13
02-27-2006, 10:21 PM
Yes!!!!!!!! 50 posts!!!!!!!!!!!

oodolphins
02-27-2006, 10:22 PM
3 more!

:shakeno:

oodolphins
02-27-2006, 10:23 PM
Yes!!!!!!!! 50 posts!!!!!!!!!!!

:shakeno: :shakeno:

LIQUID24
Meh, it's not that big a deal to me.

If he was a linemen, I might be more concerned.

god-wears-13
ok, i'll stop with the lame posts now.

oodolphins
02-27-2006, 10:24 PM
ok, i'll stop with the lame posts now.

Thanks, but I know you just wanted to get your 51st post in. :sidelol:

Austin Tatious
02-27-2006, 11:57 PM
Greenway is wildly overrated. He has no explosion at all as an athlete. I hope we go nowhere near him.

Danny
02-28-2006, 12:10 AM
It does seems low but he'll still probably be gone before our pick...the guy I think we could draft is Manny Lawson.

Ozzy rules!!

23Dolphins34
02-28-2006, 01:49 AM
the guy I think we could draft is Manny Lawson.

Ozzy rules!!

Just hope Cleveland doesn't get the itch and draft him before it's Miami's turn.

finfan54
02-28-2006, 08:00 AM
I think people are going to get way too overboard on this combine stuff. You see it on TV now and you think this makes the player. Either you are a football player or you are not. Its like the wonderlic. Now everyone thinks VY is an idiot. But thats not what they will be saying when he is making play after play.

finfan54
02-28-2006, 08:01 AM
Greenway is wildly overrated. He has no explosion at all as an athlete. I hope we go nowhere near him.

ummmm, ill take a coaches view over a fan who probably hasnt watched much Greenway at all.

FinaticalOne
02-28-2006, 08:52 AM
Greenway is a playmaker. He has a nose for the ball, but doing the bench press only 16 times is very weak for a linebacker; especially a 3-4 LB where he will take on OL more often than playing in a 4-3 defense. I still would be happy drafting him, but our new strength coach better make him his special project.

OTackle50
02-28-2006, 02:23 PM
The bench press is about as meaningless as they come as far as lifts go. Things that require quick snaps like cleans and legs muscles like squats are much more important for a football players.

And if you know anything about Coach Doyle and Iowa's lifting program you'd know not to look too far into Greenway's low bench, he's got it where it counts.

Greenway is NOT overrated by any means. Chad and Abdul Hodge carried an Iowa defense that replaced their ENTIRE D-Line on their backs all season. It'd be a steal to get him at 16.

playmaker1
02-28-2006, 03:00 PM
I like Greenway, I think he would be a great replacment for Seau, and for years to come

BigScuingili
02-28-2006, 03:16 PM
The bench press is about as meaningless as they come as far as lifts go. Things that require quick snaps like cleans and legs muscles like squats are much more important for a football players.

And if you know anything about Coach Doyle and Iowa's lifting program you'd know not to look too far into Greenway's low bench, he's got it where it counts.

Greenway is NOT overrated by any means. Chad and Abdul Hodge carried an Iowa defense that replaced their ENTIRE D-Line on their backs all season. It'd be a steal to get him at 16.
So trying to push a lineman out of the way on a blitz package has no upper body strength to it, it just happens to be all in the legs. Don't think so bro, you obvisouly don't know much about the bench press and its direct connection to onfield play. Ask Zach why he can't move Mawae.

Alex44
02-28-2006, 03:19 PM
What scares me is he looks ripped and strong and he only did 16?

Even worse he ran a 4.70

I was hopeing to be impressed with him today but I wasnt

Dolfan5000
02-28-2006, 03:25 PM
I'm pretty sure a 228 lb Zach Thomas could lift that thing over 30 times pretty easily. How much does Greenway and all his talent weigh?

Dolfan5000
02-28-2006, 03:26 PM
What scares me is he looks ripped and strong and he only did 16?

Even worse he ran a 4.70

I was hopeing to be impressed with him today but I wasnt
Well now you know there's a little difference between looking strong and being it. :wink:

Crowder52
02-28-2006, 03:41 PM
16 reps on the bench press is pathetic for a man of that size. That being said, the bench press is a terrible indicator of on-field strength. Everything done on the field will recruit the use of leg muscles, which are absent from the bench. Clean and jerk like someone mentioned before me or even the squat would be a much better test. I think they use bench press in part because of its popularity and also the ease of measure.

Greenway had a great college career, so it's hard to write that off due to a bad day of workouts. However, I watched their bowl game against Florida and the player who stuck out to me most on that defense was Abdul Hodge. The guy made 19 tackles, breaking the Outback Bowl record. He was flying all over the place. He's listed on the team site at 6'2 234. Best of all he's from Fort Lauderdale. I'm hoping we give this guy a look.

Motion
02-28-2006, 03:44 PM
I'm not as high on Greenway as most. I've only seen him play about 3 times and he wasn't a major factor. Especially in their bowl game, you'd expect the star player to shine in the big game but he was basically non-existent against Florida, had maybe 2 tackles tops. While his teammate Abdul Hodge outshined him greatly breaking the Outback Bowl record for tackles.

fitskin
02-28-2006, 03:49 PM
I think its a very big deal that he only did 16 reps. Playing Outside linebacker is all about shedding blockers and taking on the lead blockers (pulling lineman and fullbacks) with your shoulder. That all has to do with your bench press, squat and clean. If he only did 16 reps, that would be a big question mark.

Motion
02-28-2006, 03:50 PM
I'm pretty sure a 228 lb Zach Thomas could lift that thing over 30 times pretty easily. How much does Greenway and all his talent weigh?

240ish

Dolfan5000
02-28-2006, 03:56 PM
240ish
Under acheivers make me sick, hopefully he's sick or something and it's making him weaker than usual. I really liked this kid before I saw he did less than freaking JAY CUTLER...

Dolfan5000
02-28-2006, 03:58 PM
All this makes me wonder, how many times did Crowder bench the 225 bar?

LIQUID24
02-28-2006, 04:00 PM
Guess what powerful running back managed only 18 reps at a previous combine?

Dolfan5000
02-28-2006, 04:04 PM
Guess what powerful running back managed only 18 reps at a previous combine?
I'm guessing Ronnie B. or Ricky. Doesn't really matter though, running the ball requires different areas of body strength. Lower body is more important for an RB or MLB. For an OLB he needs to have some upper body strength to be effective in the NFL.

Motion
02-28-2006, 04:06 PM
I'm guessing Ronnie B. or Ricky. Doesn't really matter though, running the ball requires different areas of body strength. Lower body is more important for an RB or MLB. For an OLB he needs to have some upper body strength to be effective in the NFL.

I was thinking the same thing.

In_Flames
02-28-2006, 04:09 PM
what are everyone's thoughts on DeMeco Ryans?

Skeet84
02-28-2006, 04:21 PM
what are everyone's thoughts on DeMeco Ryans?

His lack of speed killed him at the Senior bowl.

Crowder52
02-28-2006, 04:24 PM
I'm not as high on Greenway as most. I've only seen him play about 3 times and he wasn't a major factor. Especially in their bowl game, you'd expect the star player to shine in the big game but he was basically non-existent against Florida, had maybe 2 tackles tops. While his teammate Abdul Hodge outshined him greatly breaking the Outback Bowl record for tackles.

We see eye to eye on this for sure. Hodge was a beast. He's been fairly under the radar during the pre-draft activities, I would love to see the Phins take a chance on him.

LIQUID24
02-28-2006, 04:25 PM
Yeah it was Ronnie Brown. Anyway, Greenway has always been a little more finesse than he is physical, kinda like Derrick Johnson of KC. It's probably his main weakness. So I'm not sure why anyone would be all that surprised by his somewhat low reps. Still, I don't think it's a dealbreaker.

Dolfan5000
02-28-2006, 04:30 PM
Yeah it was Ronnie Brown. Anyway, Greenway has always been a little more finesse than he is physical, kinda like Derrick Johnson of KC. It's probably his main weakness. So I'm not sure why anyone would be all that surprised by his somewhat low reps. Still, I don't think it's a dealbreaker.
It just doesn't make sense to me how someone could be characterized as a "high motor" guy and be a finesse player. Well, either way, don't want him. I'd much rather get Ryans or a safety like Roman Harper.

ChambersWI
02-28-2006, 05:18 PM
40 times and bench press are important, but are alsothe most overrated things in scouting. Sure if you're a 6'4 WR with 4.4 speed (like local product Marques Colston) you'll help yourself a lot. As will Mike Kudla who benched 225 45 times.

At the same time, Kudla isn't the greatest player in the world nor is Colston.

Of course, this is the same reason Derrick Johnson fell so far last year. He and Greenway both have a lot of skill, but they can't take on blocks.

Miamifin23
03-01-2006, 01:54 AM
Yeah that's not good for Greenway. His strengths are getting from sideline to sideline, but remember, he's very very smart and he's a player. His strength can improve and will improve.

John Biello
03-01-2006, 02:50 AM
strength is the easiet thing for a player to improve upon guys, theres no reason to jump off the badnwagon you were on

finfan54
03-01-2006, 08:42 AM

are you sure about that? And you are talking about a developed ZT compared to when he was a rookie? There was a reason he was drafted in the fifth round, and he may have never been drafted if it were not for JJ.

finfan54
03-01-2006, 08:45 AM
40 times and bench press are important, but are alsothe most overrated things in scouting. Sure if you're a 6'4 WR with 4.4 speed (like local product Marques Colston) you'll help yourself a lot. As will Mike Kudla who benched 225 45 times.

At the same time, Kudla isn't the greatest player in the world nor is Colston.

Of course, this is the same reason Derrick Johnson fell so far last year. He and Greenway both have a lot of skill, but they can't take on blocks.

thats what they say about ZT, cant take on blocks or once someone locks on him, its over............but the problem is, its hard to get your hands on him.

Now, Greenway does alot of things. He is great in coverage, tackling skills, nose for the ball, and blitzing off the edge. He is a 3-4 LB. Saban wont give a damn about his bench press, he will care about his knowledge and how his game skill will traslate into his scheme.

RichmondWeb
03-01-2006, 08:55 AM
On the radio, Greenway said he has never worked with weights. He works on his family ranch. He also said he thought he could get bigger, around 250-255. Would be nice if he dropped into round 2 because of this.

Springveldt
03-01-2006, 09:04 AM
The bench press at the combine is not really a strength test, it's more of an endurance test. Depending on your muscle type, if you fill up with lactic acid quickly then obviously you aren't going to do many reps.
If you practice the bench by doing a lot of high rep work then you can increase your resistance to lactic acid and add more reps to your end total.
If they wanted to use the bench as an upper body strength test then surely they should be testing a 1 rep max, not the highest number of reps at a relatively modest weight.

Coral Reefer
03-01-2006, 11:10 AM
I think its a very big deal that he only did 16 reps. Playing Outside linebacker is all about shedding blockers and taking on the lead blockers (pulling lineman and fullbacks) with your shoulder. That all has to do with your bench press, squat and clean. If he only did 16 reps, that would be a big question mark.

Agreed completely.

I saw a few of those "you guys overestimate combine numbers, they mean nothing" posters here, but the numbers do mean something.

Sure they aren't an indicator of everything but with a 1st round pick your looking for someone that has as close to a complete package as possible.

Technique and heart can do wonders for a player but at some point you have to also have the physical tools as well.
A jump to the NFL is quite a change and I think Greeway has a long road ahead of him based on poor strength and speed numbers.

To many question marks for a mid 1st round pick.

Dolfan11
03-01-2006, 12:15 PM

Thoughts?

A little low for what he's made out to be. As a defensive player, especially LB's, when a QB out benches you; I think you better be afraid of him hitting you!

DcRy82
03-01-2006, 12:34 PM
Now, Greenway does alot of things. He is great in coverage, tackling skills, nose for the ball, and blitzing off the edge. He is a 3-4 LB. Saban wont give a damn about his bench press, he will care about his knowledge and how his game skill will traslate into his scheme.
Actually...not tryin to be an a$$ but greenway never was really used to blitzed in college so i think that might have been an assumption on your part. the guy covering the combine the other day even said so.. although he said greenway didnt blitz in college very often because of the way iowa ran their defense, the guy thought greenway "could" be an effective blitzer in the NFL"