PDA

View Full Version : Croyle vs Whitehurst

WttaM
03-02-2006, 01:12 PM
I have read several articles on how we are looking at Brodie Croyle. With Croyle's history of injuries, would Whitehust not be a better pick. He's bigger, faster and has a stronger arm......what gives?

thecoordinator
03-02-2006, 01:13 PM
no idea but it would make perfect since for this franchise to go after croyle to add to the legacy of scrub QBs since marino retired. i'd go with whitehurst.

NoLimit84
03-02-2006, 01:14 PM
With that logic don't you think Whitehurst will be gone by the time we draft? :wink:

dlockz
03-02-2006, 01:14 PM
I have read several articles on how we are looking at Brodie Croyle. With Croyle's history of injuries, would Whitehust not be a better pick. He's bigger, faster and has a stronger arm......what gives?

Whitehurst does not have a stronger arm and is much more mistake prone.

Ryan1973
03-02-2006, 01:21 PM
Why is everybody so high on Croyle in the first place? Alabama's offense was terrible last year. If he is so good, he should have been able to put up more points and better stats.

WttaM
03-02-2006, 01:23 PM
I remember Alabama winning games wtih single digits and relying on the defense to carry them.

footballer
03-02-2006, 01:33 PM
Croyles arm is much stronger than whitehursts

SR 7
03-02-2006, 01:38 PM

yes sir! right on the dot

FireInTheNole
03-02-2006, 01:45 PM
Why is everybody so high on Croyle in the first place? Alabama's offense was terrible last year. If he is so good, he should have been able to put up more points and better stats.

Croyle did put up some good numbers before Prothro went down. After that the o-line was beat up with injuries and the other recivers didn't step up. Guess you didn't see Croyle light up the Gaytors... :wink:

Jimmy James
03-02-2006, 01:50 PM
Croyle did put up some good numbers before Prothro went down. After that the o-line was beat up with injuries and the other recivers didn't step up. Guess you didn't see Croyle light up the Gaytors... :wink:

I know I saw it. As I recall, Alabama was a fairly heavy underdog in that game and won it like 31-3. Croyle could do no wrong.

Isn't that also when Prothro went down?

Lappy
03-02-2006, 01:52 PM
I like both those QB's but for some reason I feel they're not going to be outstanding players at this level.

Mr772
03-02-2006, 01:55 PM

Stats aren't everything.

Dolphinzoneman
03-02-2006, 01:56 PM
I have read several articles on how we are looking at Brodie Croyle. With Croyle's history of injuries, would Whitehust not be a better pick. He's bigger, faster and has a stronger arm......what gives?give me Whitehurst any day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lappy
03-02-2006, 01:56 PM
Stats aren't everything.

They're not but it is a pretty good barometre of what can be expected.

SF Dolphin Fan
03-02-2006, 02:03 PM
The difference with Croyle is he knows where to go with the ball. In other words, he can read defenses. I haven't seen much of Whitehurst, but I think both have a lot of untapped ability.

FireInTheNole
03-02-2006, 02:05 PM
I know I saw it. As I recall, Alabama was a fairly heavy underdog in that game and won it like 31-3. Croyle could do no wrong.

Isn't that also when Prothro went down?

Yeah he went down with like 8 or 10 min left in the fourth quarter. That whole team changed after his injury. After that, the defence was winning the games for them.

WttaM
03-02-2006, 02:06 PM
Did not see Croyle light up the Gators, but I just went back and looked at the game stats. I also noticed Whitehust lit up FSU and almost beat the Canes. I guess anyone can have a good day.

Scott Andrew
03-02-2006, 02:08 PM
without question Croyle has a stronger arm then Whitehurst

FireInTheNole
03-02-2006, 02:12 PM
Did not see Croyle light up the Gators, but I just went back and looked at the game stats. I also noticed Whitehust lit up FSU and almost beat the Canes. I guess anyone can have a good day.

I don't think Whitehurst lit up anybody all season... He would throw screen passes to Chansi Stuckey and he would light up defences.. :wink:

Lappy
03-02-2006, 02:15 PM

hahaha I liked that!!!! :D

....and you're right

In_Flames
03-02-2006, 02:19 PM
I'd take Croyle or even Jacobs over Whitehurst any day...

RDubL84
03-02-2006, 02:24 PM
Whitehurst did have a decnt day vs Miami, but he did miss 2 wide open passes that would have won the game. I am in grad school at Clemson, went to every game, so I feel like I have seen enough of whitehurst to say that we should not draft him. His arm is not that strong and he can not throw the long ball. He also makes very poor decisions.

As far as Croyle goes, I think he would make a much better QB in the NFL. He has a much stronger arm and seems to make much better decisions. Remember that he was without his only deep threat for much aof the season and his OLine gave him 0 protection.

Ryan1973
03-02-2006, 02:41 PM
I would rather have Jacobs over Croyle or Whitehurst. I just think he will be a better pro. As far as Croyle losing his top receiver, if he was any good, he still should have been able to put up more points. Look how well Cutler did without any great skill players.

Namor
03-02-2006, 02:42 PM
As a Bama alum,I've watched Brodie for four years.He had
no offensive line,After Protho went down,Bama also lost
DJ Hall ,their 2nd leading reciever.The rest of the recievers
couldn't catch anything consistantly.Also If Brodie doesn't
have the knee injury,he is probaly a low 1st round pick.
At no time is Whitehurst or Jacobs thought of in that light.
peace out.

Namor
03-02-2006, 02:43 PM
I would rather have Jacobs over Croyle or Whitehurst. I just think he will be a better pro. As far as Croyle losing his top receiver, if he was any good, he still should have been able to put up more points. Look how well Cutler did without any great skill players.

Cutler had a better offensive line and recievers.

firestorm
03-02-2006, 02:44 PM
Croyle is better than Whitehurst, Croyle is a leader and he has a stronger arm than Whitehurst, besides, Croyle didn't have any good wide-receiver around (Prothro was injured) and he has good mobility in pocket... I would like that Miami sign Croyle in second round, he is a good player with top intangibles.

Ryan1973
03-02-2006, 02:46 PM
Cutler had a better offensive line and recievers.

Oh really? How many players from Vanderbilt do you think will go pro over the players from Alabama? That is a stupid statement. Its laughable in fact. :sidelol:

Namor
03-02-2006, 02:58 PM
Oh really? How many players from Vanderbilt do you think will go pro over the players from Alabama? That is a stupid statement. Its laughable in fact. :sidelol:

Look up the stats.How many Bama games did you see.
I went to Bama.I was at most of them,saw all of them.
Saw most of Vandy's (taped off JP Sports,love SEC)
the one senior offensive lineman got hurt .See what
happens when you have Freshmen and sophs at the
offensive line ,same with recievers. Now go check
what Cutler had.

Ryan1973
03-02-2006, 03:00 PM
Look up the stats.How many Bama games did you see.
I went to Bama.I was at most of them,saw all of them.
Saw most of Vandy's (taped off JP Sports,love SEC)
the one senior offensive lineman got hurt .See what
happens when you have Freshmen and sophs at the
offensive line ,same with recievers. Now go check
what Cutler had.

I don't buy it. If they switched teams and Cutler was at Alabama, they would have had a much better offense than they did with Croyle.

Aqua and Orange
03-02-2006, 03:08 PM
I dont really care for Croyle, but I care even less for Whitehearst (who seems like a career backup to me). Omar Jacobs is promising, but I feel like Saban hasnt been watching him as closely and I dont see us getting him. I guess Croyle is better than nothing though, and I wouldn't care who our youngin' was as long as we had Brees too!

Namor
03-02-2006, 03:15 PM
I don't buy it. If they switched teams and Cutler was at Alabama, they would have had a much better offense than they did with Croyle.

Don't care if you buy it.....look it up,truth hurts (age of offensive linemen and recievers.) Plus when Bama lost
their 2 best recievers,they dummied down the offense
toward the running game and a great defense.A young
offensive line will get you killed.Now don't get me wrong
I think Cutler will be great,I just think Brodie will too.
Plus to me there is more value with Brodie as a 2nd
round pick than Cutler as a top 5 pick.

Farmer
03-02-2006, 03:20 PM
Well, looks like McNair isnt even an option now. Cant say that im not glad. Now we just gotta worry about the phins taking Ramsey's dumb @$$
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2351571

DaFish
03-02-2006, 03:25 PM
And how many interceptions did Whitehurst throw in 2005???

Rubbin420
03-02-2006, 04:15 PM
And how many interceptions did Whitehurst throw in 2005???

Look how many INTs Omar Jacobs had. Then tell me who you would rather have.

LKAT
03-02-2006, 04:28 PM
I have posted other times on this site about my opinion of Charlie Whitehurst. He is a tall, strong armed QB that can make any throw....the deep bomb, the fade, the touch pass...which i have seen plenty of through the years he played at CLemson. I have seen him in person, and he is a pocket type passer, but strong at the same time. He just has that "IT" factor, just seeing him in a game. He can manage a game, and he can win it if necessary. Clemson had a lot of games where he had to make a drive to finish it out, or make that perfect throw. He did have a down year in 2005, but he also went through 3 Offensive Coordinators, so he had to learn a lot of different things in a s hort time. He is also quicker than most people think, he isnt Vick by any stretch, but he also isn't drew bledsoe, he has that pocker passer look and arm for it, but can also get some yards with his legs.

ON the other hand, i didnt see many Bama games, but like others said, their offense was pitiful last year as many people always said "if they had an offense..."...so how good was their QB????

I would take Charlie over him, he has the brains, his Dad was a QB, he grew up around that...and he just has all the right tools, with a good QB coach, he has a lot more potential..and he should be there in the 2nd round, i would say, unless there is a run on QB's.....i dont see him or Croyle going 1st round......Cutler, Young, Leinart are.

Phishstix
03-02-2006, 04:33 PM
whitehurst is fool's gold. he's got all of the measurables, but his decision making and play under pressure bring up two big red flags.
croyle has proven to be a very good qb when he's been healthy, and that's his biggest concern. he's got a great arm and makes good decisions, but his is durability will determine what kind of qb he becomes in the pros. i'd take croyle over whitehurst- his decision making is way too shoddy for my blood.

In_Flames
03-02-2006, 04:40 PM
whitehurst is fool's gold. he's got all of the measurables, but his decision making and play under pressure bring up two big red flags.
croyle has proven to be a very good qb when he's been healthy, and that's his biggest concern. he's got a great arm and makes good decisions, but his is durability will determine what kind of qb he becomes in the pros. i'd take croyle over whitehurst- his decision making is way too shoddy for my blood.

:yeahthat: ...exactly

LKAT
03-02-2006, 04:44 PM

I disagree with the fact you say his decision making and play under pressure big up red flags?? He won many, many games for Clemson on last minute drives, I would say that is under pressure...he also won some big games in Clemson's past 3 year history, I would say that is being under pressure. As far as decision m aking, chooses the right target way more than he doesn't. I dont see how Croyle is better, but then again i didnt see him play much...id have to study some tape, but Whitehurst's weakness isnt falling down under pressure, he steps up......when clemson has needed wins, he has delivered the past 3 seasons...so that is far from the truth.

Ryan1973
03-02-2006, 04:49 PM
Well, looks like McNair isnt even an option now. Cant say that im not glad. Now we just gotta worry about the phins taking Ramsey's dumb @$$
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2351571

I would rather have them keep Frerotte than go after Ramsey.

Namor
03-02-2006, 04:49 PM
I disagree with the fact you say his decision making and play under pressure big up red flags?? He won many, many games for Clemson on last minute drives, I would say that is under pressure...he also won some big games in Clemson's past 3 year history, I would say that is being under pressure. As far as decision m aking, chooses the right target way more than he doesn't. I dont see how Croyle is better, but then again i didnt see him play much...id have to study some tape, but Whitehurst's weakness isnt falling down under pressure, he steps up......when clemson has needed wins, he has delivered the past 3 seasons...so that is far from the truth.

Being a Bama alum,I'm biased towards Croyle ,but I rather
have Whitehurst before Jacobs.

my 2 cents
03-02-2006, 06:17 PM
Beat me to the punch..people that do not like the guy will simply not like him...facts be darned. 9 fourth qtr. comebacks in his career, 5 wins over top 10 teams (this is Clemson we are talking about!!), 3 year starter, great size, decent feet, and big arm. If people do not like him for his decision making or some other reason....OK, even that is debatable, but the fact is this guy IS a pressure QB and played his best games against BETTER teams. The major concern with Whitehurst should be his shoulder NOT his performance under pressure. Smart and good pedigree, father was NFL QB. Also performed while having 3 different OC's in 4 seasons... Voted by 70% of teammates as "most inspirational teammate".

Croyle-2 year starter, often injured....elbow disllocation, torn labrum, torn ACL in BOTH knees, and 2 concussions. Best games were against ... Southern Miss, Utah State, Ole Miss and Texas Tech...also the florida gaqme where Florida layed an egg and Croyle picked on Jarvis Herring all day...by the way Herring ran a 4.9 at safety at the combine. 2 4th qtr. comebacks in career ... 1 a line drive field goal that snuck thru the uprights after Bama failed to convert on 2nd and 3 and 3rd and 3.

Both have the tools, but IMO Croyle might be even MORE of a risk than Whitehurst.....if posters don't like Whitehurst, at least get the facts correct and state the REAL reason for not liking the guy. He is not the value of Lienart, Cutler or even young, but IMO far above the risk factor you take with wrong sideline stick boy Croyle...who might also be a good NFL QB...just a lot of risk for a 2 or high 3 IMO...

Namor
03-02-2006, 06:22 PM
Beat me to the punch..people that do not like the guy will simply not like him...facts be darned. 9 fourth qtr. comebacks in his career, 5 wins over top 10 teams (this is Clemson we are talking about!!), 3 year starter, great size, decent feet, and big arm. If people do not like him for his decision making or some other reason....OK, even that is debatable, but the fact is this guy IS a pressure QB and played his best games against BETTER teams. The major concern with Whitehurst should be his shoulder NOT his performance under pressure. Smart and good pedigree, father was NFL QB. Also performed while having 3 different OC's in 4 seasons... Voted by 70% of teammates as "most inspirational teammate".

Croyle-2 year starter, often injured....elbow disllocation, torn labrum, torn ACL in BOTH knees, and 2 concussions. Best games were against ... Southern Miss, Utah State, Ole Miss and Texas Tech...also the florida gaqme where Florida layed an egg and Croyle picked on Jarvis Herring all day...by the way Herring ran a 4.9 at safety at the combine. 2 4th qtr. comebacks in career ... 1 a line drive field goal that snuck thru the uprights after Bama failed to convert on 2nd and 3 and 3rd and 3.

Both have the tools, but IMO Croyle might be even MORE of a risk than Whitehurst.....if posters don't like Whitehurst, at least get the facts correct and state the REAL reason for not liking the guy. He is not the value of Lienart, Cutler or even young, but IMO far above the risk factor you take with wrong sideline stick boy Croyle...who might also be a good NFL QB...just a lot of risk for a 2 or high 3 IMO...

Stickboy will be drafted higher than Whitehurst. end game

my 2 cents
03-02-2006, 06:39 PM
Stickboy will be drafted higher than Whitehurst. end game

You are Probably correct, but it is only our opinion and as noted below, higher pick does not equal better NFL QB ...... of note:

82:Art Schlichter was the QB picked before Jim McMahon
83:Ken O'brien before some guy named Marino
84:Rick McIvor before Jay Schroder
85:John Conner before Doug Flutie
86:Doug Gaynor before Mark Rypien
87:Mark Vlasick before Steve Buerlien and rich Gannon
88:Jeff Francis before Rodney Peete
89:Peter Tom willis before Niel O'donnell
91:Dan McGwire and Todd Marijuanovich before Brett Favre
92:Chris Hakel before Jeff blake and TJ Rubley before Ty Detmer
93:Gino Toretta before Alex Van Pelt, Elvis Grback and Trent Green
95:Todd Collins before Kordell Stewart
97:Jim Drunkenmiller before Jake Plummer
98:John Dutton before Matt Hasselback
99:Akili Smith before Daunte Culpepper
00:Tee Martin before Marc Bulger and Spergon Wynn before Tom Brady

WaxOn WaxOff
03-02-2006, 06:54 PM
That doesn't jibe with what I've been told from the combine. I saw a report on NFL network from one of their 'experts' that Whitehurst, despite a shoulder surgery 3 month ago threw 2nd best at the combine (behind Cutler). I've got it TiVo'd.

RalphX19X
03-02-2006, 06:56 PM
ill take Croyle

KB21
03-02-2006, 07:22 PM
I posted this in the VIP section, but this is Brodie Croyle's numbers over his past 15 starts:

3,033 yards
61% completion percentage
20 TDs
4 INTs
7.5 YPA

I think a true reflection of what Brodie brought to that Alabama team is this fact. Over his last 15 starts, Alabama is 13-2. When he went down in 2004, Alabama lost 5 out 8 games.

This is what I have to say about Charlie Whitehurst. He's a 1st round talent with 5th round production. He impressed the hell out of me during his sophomore season, and I was anticipating him to continue to rise and become a first round pick in LAST YEAR's draft. He really bombed his junior season though, and though his play picked up as a senior, he has never been able to match that sophomore season.

Charlie has great size, has a great arm, and is very nimble on his feet. Over the past two years though, it looks like the coaching staff at Clemson didn't trust him to do some things or make certain reads. They got monotenous with their short passingl It's almost as if they were limiting the chances that Charlie had of making a mistake.

Lappy
03-02-2006, 07:29 PM
vince young here's why http://badblocks.biz/~jcdenton/VinceYoung(Twisted3434).wmv

THANKS NICK1

primetime23
03-02-2006, 08:43 PM
whithurst had a good senior bowl, croyle had crap reivers who couldn't catch a balloon. that guy dj hall hes horrible i rmeber seeing drop so much balls

D-bolt
03-02-2006, 09:16 PM
That doesn't jibe with what I've been told from the combine. I saw a report on NFL network from one of their 'experts' that Whitehurst, despite a shoulder surgery 3 month ago threw 2nd best at the combine (behind Cutler). I've got it TiVo'd.

You may want to check that again because if memory serves me correct Whitehurst choose not to throw at the combine and Mike Mayock beleived that it could come back to hurt Whitehurst especially seeing he threw at that college all-star challenge in Miami. With that being said I will not discredit either of these kids and what they could bring to the table for our franchise. Both have ability, but it will come down to who Saban thinks is more coach-able and a better leader.

WaxOn WaxOff
03-02-2006, 09:34 PM
You may want to check that again because if memory serves me correct Whitehurst choose not to throw at the combine and Mike Mayock beleived that it could come back to hurt Whitehurst especially seeing he threw at that college all-star challenge in Miami. With that being said I will not discredit either of these kids and what they could bring to the table for our franchise. Both have ability, but it will come down to who Saban thinks is more coach-able and a better leader.

Dude...It's on my Tivo, I've watched the replay TWICE already. I doubt it's changed since the last time I watched it. The guy starts out by saying that there was a rumor that Whitehurst wasn't going to throw at the combine that was incorrect. He did throw and had the 2nd best arm at the combine. It played in the sum-up show on NFL network late Sunday night. Anyone else see or record it that can satisfy the naysayers? Heck, if I was smart enough to transfer it into a video clip for you I would. (But then again, that might get me a wrap on the nose by the finheaven staff)

Phishstix
03-02-2006, 09:37 PM

wrong type of pressure. he has very good resolve and is a good leader (though he did miss wide open recievers twice to beat miami this past season). i'm talking about in the face of a rush- he's never impressed me in that area, and you can't dismiss his questionable decision making, save for his soph. season, which looks more like the exception than the norm.

D-bolt
03-02-2006, 09:54 PM
Wax,
I do owe you an apology as I never saw that he participated, so I'm sorry about that.
Whitehurst is helping himself. According to ESPN Insider:

There were reports that Clemson QB Charlie Whitehurst (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/player/profile?playerId=116343) would not work out at this year's combine, but that was not the case. At 6-4½ and 223 pounds, Whitehurst showed up in good shape and put on the most impressive passing display of any of the quarterbacks not named Cutler. Whitehurst's performance will help his cause as he competes with Alabama's Brodie Croyle (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/player/profile?playerId=128154) and Bowling Green's Omar Jacobs (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/player/profile?playerId=134244) in the competition for the fourth quarterback in this year's draft class.

Here is the link: http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draft...odd&id=2346494 (http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draft06/insider/columns/story?columnist=mcshay_todd&id=2346494)

WaxOn WaxOff
03-02-2006, 10:36 PM
and here's to honor....if you get honor, stay on her....

BTW... I'm not totally sold on Croyle (durablity) or Whitehurst (decision making). I'm trying to think of a successful NFL QB that DIDN'T have a stellar college career. I guess Brady would fit that, but Whitehurst is no Brady....It's a toss-up between the two (Whitehurst/Croyle).

Jnaledu3
03-03-2006, 12:04 AM
The biggest thing that stands out at me when looking at Whitehurst and Croyle, is that Whitehurst has much more upside.

I think we have seen some of the best of Croyle already, yet Whitehurst has not reached his full potential.

Put Whitehurst in a consistant system, let his arm heal back- and I think we will have a damn good QB.

AquaAssasin
03-03-2006, 11:10 PM
The biggest thing that stands out at me when looking at Whitehurst and Croyle, is that Whitehurst has much more upside.

I think we have seen some of the best of Croyle already, yet Whitehurst has not reached his full potential.

Put Whitehurst in a consistant system, let his arm heal back- and I think we will have a damn good QB.

actually they are saying the same thing about croyle. He has alot of upside. Durablility a concern.

http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/scoutingreports/qb/brodiecroyle.html

D-bolt
03-03-2006, 11:32 PM
and here's to honor....if you get honor, stay on her....

BTW... I'm not totally sold on Croyle (durablity) or Whitehurst (decision making). I'm trying to think of a successful NFL QB that DIDN'T have a stellar college career. I guess Brady would fit that, but Whitehurst is no Brady....It's a toss-up between the two (Whitehurst/Croyle).

Thanks,
I definately have no problem admitting when I'm wrong:refuse: Anyways I just want to see us pickup someone who has upside that we can develop and eventually mold into a franchise QB. I wouldn't mind taking a lateround flyer on Ingle Martin.

John Biello
03-03-2006, 11:57 PM
if we have to take a flier on any of them id like to see whitehurts, then jacobs, stay away from croyle please

dolfan3431
03-04-2006, 02:34 PM

neither did vandy

PublixSubsRule
03-04-2006, 03:45 PM
You see i Believe the diffence is thier brains Croyle actually has one and is smart on the field however whitehart is dumb on the field... my friend likes whitehurst but i dont , i hate him look at his int to td ratio a few years he threw more ints then tds thats not good for a qb

jlfin
03-04-2006, 06:15 PM
no idea but it would make perfect since for this franchise to go after croyle to add to the legacy of scrub QBs since marino retired. i'd go with whitehurst.

Please do your research before posting ridiculous comments like that. Out of all the second tier QB's, Croyle has the best chance of being a very good NFL QB. He has an NFL caliber arm and from what I've read he's a very intelligent and instinctive player.
If he were 1-2 inches taller, weighed 15 lbs more and didn't have the injury history he would be getting hyped as a top 15 pick.