PDA

View Full Version : Digital Cameras

Roman529
03-04-2006, 03:17 PM
Hey everyone....I am wondering what kind of digital cameras you have? I bought a generic digital camera for about $200 about three years ago...it is only a 2.2 megapixel but it is reliable and takes decent pics. I am looking for something in the 4 megapixel range or better for about $200-$250....any recommendations? Do any of you guys have picture printers? What brands of cameras/printers are best? Also, any cameras that don't drain your batteries in an hour. :mad: Any help would be appreciated...I mainly take pictures of my dog, mountain scenery, beautiful babes. :wink:...

Dubfire
03-04-2006, 03:45 PM
Nikon makes great cameras. As far as photo printing, I'd recommend a Canon or Epson.

Jimmy James
03-04-2006, 04:30 PM
I bought a Panasonic Lumix LZ-2 from Amazon for like $200 with a 512 MB SD card back in December. I'm quite happy with it. It's a 5 MP camera with a 6x optical zoom. The only complaint about the camera I have found online is that there is an unusually high amount of noise at ISO 400. It has OIS, which makes it much easier to take good pictures at high zoom.

I do not have a photo printer. I don't see the need for one when I can upload photos and pick them up within an hour for between $0.15 and $0.19 each at places like Wal-Mart and Target.

Here is my camera buying advice:

- Be particular about the media and power source of your camera. If you already have SD media, buy a SD camera. If you already have CF media, look for a CF camera. I would strongly suggest you go with a camera that uses rechargeable AA batteries. Proprietary battery packs are expensive.

- Buy a camera with optical zoom, and get as much optical zoom as you can. The 6x zoom lets me get twice as close to the action as I could back when I had a 3x zoom camera.

- Read as many reviews as you can. I like www.steves-digicams.com, but the irony is that he seems to really dislike the camera I bought. I almost didn't buy it until I read many other reviews that made it clear the noise problem was not that big a deal. It doesn't bug me, though I have seen it on about two shots.

UncleCosmic
03-04-2006, 06:51 PM
I love my Kodak. I have the CX7430 4.0 Megapixel with the Printer Dock Series 3. Takes great pics, and the printer is easy to use. Highly recommended.

ILPhinFan88
03-04-2006, 06:59 PM
I have the Kodak Z760, 6 Megapixel I think. I use the Epson Picture Mate printer, and it is a great little printer. The pics it prints is awesome and they say they will last 100 years, and spill proof. Spill a liquid on it and you can just wipe it off and the pic is fine.

NJFINSFAN1
03-04-2006, 09:15 PM
Cannon Power Shot

d-day
03-04-2006, 09:16 PM
sony cybershot - my favorite thing next to my ipod 60gb - very small, thin and light - i take it everywhere... :dday:

NJFINSFAN1
03-04-2006, 09:19 PM
sony cybershot - my favorite thing next to my ipod 60gb - very small, thin and light - i take it everywhere... :dday:

You talking about your camera or your puppet!:dday:

d-day
03-04-2006, 09:21 PM
You talking about your camera or your puppet!:dday:

both... :wink: - oh the pictures i have :dday:

Ohio Fanatic
03-04-2006, 09:25 PM
I've owned multiple 200 cameras. They were alright. But after Xmas, when my digital camera broke in Hawaii (dammit) I came home and bought a Sony Cybershot 5.1, best camera in it's class IMO. (middle class 400-600 range). I liked it even better than some of the cameras in the 750 range.

PHINATIC13
03-04-2006, 10:42 PM
I've owned multiple 200 cameras. They were alright. But after Xmas, when my digital camera broke in Hawaii (dammit) I came home and bought a Sony Cybershot 5.1, best camera in it's class IMO. (middle class 400-600 range). I liked it even better than some of the cameras in the 750 range.

Will the Sony Cybershot use SD cards as well or just Memory Stick?

Fin Fan in Cali
03-04-2006, 10:46 PM
Hey everyone....I am wondering what kind of digital cameras you have? I bought a generic digital camera for about $200 about three years ago...it is only a 2.2 megapixel but it is reliable and takes decent pics. I am looking for something in the 4 megapixel range or better for about $200-$250....any recommendations? Do any of you guys have picture printers? What brands of cameras/printers are best? Also, any cameras that don't drain your batteries in an hour. :mad: Any help would be appreciated...I mainly take pictures of my dog, mountain scenery, beautiful babes. :wink:...Bro save yourself money on a printer and cartridges, either email them of take your chip to Walmart, and let them do it. It's a lot cheaper. They will even mail them to your door I believe if you email them.

Got my wife a Sony Cyper Shot for 400.00 for our Aniversary. It's a 7.2 megapixel, and works sweet. Check amazon for great deals www.amazon.com (http://www.amazon.com) Best of luck brother!:wink:

Roman529
03-05-2006, 03:07 AM
Thanks everyone!!! The Sony Cybershot sounds like a great product. I also will have to check out the Walmarts and Longs Drugs for the photo development. I made a blowup poster of my dog a few years back ...I didn't realize regular sized pics were about 19 cents at these places....probably would be better than getting a printer and having to buy the photo paper. One of my friends has some nice Photoshop stuff where you can do a lot of special effects...I have to get this and learn how to do this. Good info.
Thanks!!! :tongue:

Jimmy James
03-05-2006, 03:12 AM
Will the Sony Cybershot use SD cards as well or just Memory Stick?

I can't swear to this, but I'm pretty sure you'll find that Sony cameras exclusively use MS, much like Olympus and Fuji cameras use xD exclusively. In all these cases, it is because the manufacturers in question own (or co-own) the format for the memory in question.

Other manufacturers split things up between CF and SD, and a lot of which format is used has to do with the size of the camera itself. CF is huge compared to SD. I don't think anybody uses SM any more, and MMC is really just crappier SD.

Jimmy James
03-05-2006, 03:17 AM
Thanks everyone!!! The Sony Cybershot sounds like a great product. I also will have to check out the Walmarts and Longs Drugs for the photo development. I made a blowup poster of my dog a few years back ...I didn't realize regular sized pics were about 19 cents at these places....probably would be better than getting a printer and having to buy the photo paper. One of my friends has some nice Photoshop stuff where you can do a lot of special effects...I have to get this and learn how to do this. Good info.
Thanks!!! :tongue:

Be aware that there are a ton of different Cybershot cameras. Some are small and fat, and some are larger and thin. One of my wife's cousins has the Cybershot DSC-P100. I have used it a couple of times, and I really like it other than the fact it requires a proprietary battery pack. It is very usable and takes a great photo. It looks like that camera is no longer available, though.

ETA: Just to expand on this, Cybershot is just a name of a line of cameras for Sony. With Panasonic, the name is Lumix. With HP, it's Photosmart. I think Canon has some of this going with the likes of Rebel and elph, too.

Fin Fan in Cali
03-05-2006, 12:28 PM
http://www.amazon.com/gp/search/ref=sr_nr_p_4_5/103-7829537-5199803?%5Fencoding=UTF8&rh=n%3A502394%2Cn%3A281052%2Cn%3A12942391%2Cp%5F4%3ASony&page=1

Bro this is at Amazon.com Do your homework when looking. You will save a lot of money at Amazon compared to Best Buy and others. I ended up saving around 150.00 on the set up I got my wife. Good Luck bro.:wink: John

Motion
03-05-2006, 12:37 PM
Kodak Z740 here, love it.

http://www.finheaven.com/images/imported/2006/03/Z740_front_270x190-1.jpg

PHINATIC13
03-05-2006, 12:51 PM
I can't swear to this, but I'm pretty sure you'll find that Sony cameras exclusively use MS, much like Olympus and Fuji cameras use xD exclusively. In all these cases, it is because the manufacturers in question own (or co-own) the format for the memory in question.

Other manufacturers split things up between CF and SD, and a lot of which format is used has to do with the size of the camera itself. CF is huge compared to SD. I don't think anybody uses SM any more, and MMC is really just crappier SD.

Thanks JJ, I really like the Cybershot ,but my computer is "SD card ready".I just have to insert the card and I'm good to go.MP3 same thing,I guess I'll just find a good one with SD capibility.

Jimmy James
03-05-2006, 04:51 PM
Thanks JJ, I really like the Cybershot ,but my computer is "SD card ready".I just have to insert the card and I'm good to go.MP3 same thing,I guess I'll just find a good one with SD capibility.

If you don't find something you like as well as the Sony cameras you have been considering, don't compromise just because your computer is SD ready. You can buy a reader for MS memory for like $10 if you shop around.

With that said, I'm confident you can find a camera you like that uses SD. It's probably the most common format these days.

Pagan
03-05-2006, 04:51 PM
I have the Canon A85. Now that the A95 came out, the price on the A85 dropped like a rock. 4 megapixels, GREAT quality, easy to use.

Highly recommended.