PDA

View Full Version : A Perplexing Advantage for Taller Men

BAMAPHIN 22
03-04-2006, 11:45 PM
Uh Oh. If You're Shorter Than 5' 9''...

you could be making less--a lot less--than if you were taller. When it comes to salary, status, and respect, people who are short are short-changed in the work world.

Tall people earn more money--as much as $789 more a year in pay for every one inch of height--than their shorter colleagues, according to a new study from the University of Florida and the University of North Carolina at Chapel-Hill. This pay differential based only on height is especially pronounced in management and sales positions.

Think $789 isn't all that much? Think again. Even after accounting for gender, weight, and age it means that someone who is 7 inches taller, say 6-feet vs. 5-foot-5, would be expected to earn $5,525 more annually. If you add this up over the course of a 30-year career and compound it, it's literally hundreds f thousands of dollars of earnings' advantage that a tall person enjoys.

http://channels.netscape.com/careers/package.jsp?name=fte/shortpeople/shortpeople&floc=wn-ns (http://channels.netscape.com/careers/package.jsp?name=fte/shortpeople/shortpeople&floc=wn-ns)

HysterikiLL
03-04-2006, 11:48 PM
I'm 6'5'' and broke as hell, while Gary Coleman reels in millions....but I am a sutdent....and he's a midget, so I dunno

PHINATIC13
03-04-2006, 11:51 PM
I'm 5'9, the next time that I ask my Boss for a raise I'm wearing lifts.:wink:

Jimmy James
03-05-2006, 12:21 AM
This sounds good to this 6'3"-6'4" guy.

FinaciousOne
03-05-2006, 12:29 AM
Uh Oh. If You're Shorter Than 5' 9''...

you could be making less--a lot less--than if you were taller. When it comes to salary, status, and respect, people who are short are short-changed in the work world.

Tall people earn more money--as much as $789 more a year in pay for every one inch of height--than their shorter colleagues, according to a new study from the University of Florida and the University of North Carolina at Chapel-Hill. This pay differential based only on height is especially pronounced in management and sales positions.

Think $789 isn't all that much? Think again. Even after accounting for gender, weight, and age it means that someone who is 7 inches taller, say 6-feet vs. 5-foot-5, would be expected to earn $5,525 more annually. If you add this up over the course of a 30-year career and compound it, it's literally hundreds f thousands of dollars of earnings' advantage that a tall person enjoys.

http://channels.netscape.com/careers/package.jsp?name=fte/shortpeople/shortpeople&floc=wn-ns (http://channels.netscape.com/careers/package.jsp?name=fte/shortpeople/shortpeople&floc=wn-ns)

But aren't the averages skewed by basketball players?:wink:

anthony!
03-05-2006, 12:31 AM

All major athletes in general I would say...

King Nate
03-05-2006, 02:50 AM
I'm only 5'6"! :boohoo:

Roman529
03-05-2006, 02:54 AM
6' 1" here....not working at the moment but loving life. :D

darkmistress
03-05-2006, 03:05 AM

Yeah I was going to say that too. With the amount of money professional athletes rake in it's no wonder taller people average higher salaries.

Mind you I'm sure there's always an advantage to towering over your boss... just make sure you're standing when you ask for a pay rise :chuckle:

Jimmy James
03-05-2006, 03:06 AM
Why isn't anybody complaining about the way that jockeys and the folks who play elves in the Santa display skew things upward for the short folks?

Dolfan984
03-05-2006, 05:34 AM
6'4" here :D

Wildbill3
03-05-2006, 05:43 AM
Why isn't anybody complaining about the way that jockeys and the folks who play elves in the Santa display skew things upward for the short folks?I'd argue that the elves skew things downward actually. :lol:

FinaciousOne
03-05-2006, 11:05 AM
Why isn't anybody complaining about the way that jockeys and the folks who play elves in the Santa display skew things upward for the short folks?

With jockeys, only the winners make the big bucks, so for every big-buck jockey there's 8 to 11 low-buck, loser jockeys holding the average down.

The elves have never been able to successfully organize into a union because Santa's attorney has been able to keep them classified as "seasonal" employees. They also don't get health benefits.

Just more of the big guys keeping the little guys down.:tantrum:

PassRush
03-05-2006, 02:05 PM
This is true, I just got a promotion to assistant manager over an equaly qualified coworker. I am 6'4, he is 5'8.

0wn3d

FinaciousOne
03-05-2006, 02:55 PM
This is true, I just got a promotion to assistant manager over an equaly qualified coworker. I am 6'4, he is 5'8.

0wn3d

Are you sure the sexual favors had nothing to do with it? Happy Birthday!:party:

PassRush
03-05-2006, 03:04 PM
Are you sure the sexual favors had nothing to do with it? Happy Birthday!:party:

I wouldnt say sexual favors persay... More like I stumbled upon some incriminating photographs:wink:

FinsNCanes
03-05-2006, 03:43 PM
I'm 5'9 so I guess I'm on the border. All I know is the ladies like taller guys (you always hear them talking about how it's sexy) so that is definetely the one advantage they have.