PDA

View Full Version : UNC Beats Duke

Jt0323
03-05-2006, 01:18 AM
This is the first time since 2001 UNC beat Duck at Duke! UNC won 83-76! :woot: nice job Carolina!

DolphinDevil28
03-05-2006, 01:33 AM
:shakeno:

Byroan, and others, congrats UNC.

They are 1-1 on the year. I really hope that Duke and UNC meet again in the ACC Championship game.

It's the best rivalry in sports and it would be the rubber match. What a game it would be.

Roman529
03-05-2006, 03:14 AM
I bet Dukie Vitale cried his eyes out afterwards. :lol:

DolphinDevil28
03-05-2006, 04:04 AM
I bet Dukie Vitale cried his eyes out afterwards. :lol:

I don't know why you keep saying that. Dickie V is an ACC man, not just a Duke man.

He praises UNC just as much as Duke. It just so happens that UNC doesn't have 2 All-Americans in the same year. Duke does. That's where Dickie V gets all his "Dukie V." stuff from.

SCall13
03-05-2006, 08:00 AM
The Tarheel had them beat in 1st game too, but folded at the end. This UNC group of freshmen are unbelievable. Imagine what they will do if they all stay together for 2 or 3 more years.

nyjunc
03-05-2006, 09:03 AM
I don't know why you keep saying that. Dickie V is an ACC man, not just a Duke man.

He praises UNC just as much as Duke. It just so happens that UNC doesn't have 2 All-Americans in the same year. Duke does. That's where Dickie V gets all his "Dukie V." stuff from.

First off good game. It was sloppy at times but another typical Carolina-duke exciting game. Secondly, Vitale USED to love all good teams but that focused has shifted just to duke. Just watching ESPN Classic yesterday confirmed that. In an '88 Carolina game there was a tie up after a good dukle defensive play and the ball returned to UNC and he barely said a word then they showed a '96 clip similar situation and he went absolutely berserk. He is a duke man now, he'll still give phomny excitement for other teams but it's not real like it is for duke. Did you notice how nuts he was going when JJ started somewhat hot? after the game I swear he looked like he was going to cry.

NJFINSFAN1
03-05-2006, 09:37 AM
I told you all, UNC by the end of the year would be a top 10 team.

nyjunc
03-05-2006, 09:45 AM
I told you all, UNC by the end of the year would be a top 10 team.

I am glad you were right:D

Ferretsquig
03-05-2006, 10:46 AM
That was impressive. Amazing how guys like Ginyard, Sanders, Quentin, and Terry have improved over the course of the season. Not to mention Noel, who goes from an afterthought to being the heart and sole of this team. This team has been the greatest joy to watch of them all. Elite eight here we come :D

t2thejz
03-05-2006, 10:55 AM
I love watcing UNC vs Duke. The games are so intense. I enjoy these games more than game 7 in the NBA championship. Those guys pour everything they got into these games

FaninPatsyLand
03-05-2006, 02:09 PM
I don't understand all the hate directed at Duke, not that I care because I don't like them.

But why all the love for UNC? (Outside of the Carolina fans)

Doesn't make any sense to me.

GreenMonster
03-05-2006, 03:23 PM
I don't understand all the hate directed at Duke, not that I care because I don't like them.

They are all ACC basketball lovers because it's the "best" conference.. Anytime ACC teams play a good game its because it the "best" conference.. The 2 Nova - Uconn games were better games, by better teams, yet they didn't half the pub, that those 2 got last night on sportscenter..

FaninPatsyLand
03-05-2006, 04:16 PM
They are all ACC basketball lovers because it's the "best" conference.. Anytime ACC teams play a good game its because it the "best" conference.. The 2 Nova - Uconn games were better games, by better teams, yet they didn't half the pub, that those 2 got last night on sportscenter..

Agreed. Well said as always Monster...

NJFINSFAN1
03-05-2006, 04:29 PM

My brother is a coach at UNC!:wink:

Roman529
03-05-2006, 04:30 PM

Dick Vitale is the biggest Duke homer ever...all he talks about is the Cameron Crazies.

King Felix
03-05-2006, 04:35 PM
that was a sweet win

Buddwalk
03-05-2006, 05:04 PM
good win for carolina...duke is a choke team, if they make it to the elite 8 it'll be a miracle

King Felix
03-05-2006, 05:06 PM
one dimensional

byroan
03-05-2006, 08:44 PM
:woot:

Sorry for the late reply, I finally got internet at my new place. What a game by UNC. It was great watching Redick choke in the second half.

Buddwalk
03-06-2006, 01:45 AM

Sorry for the late reply, I finally got internet at my new place. What a game by UNC. It was great watching Redick choke in the second half.

:yes:

nyjunc
03-06-2006, 07:59 AM

Now we get to watch him choke in the Olympics. What a complete disgrace it is that he made the Olympic team.:fire:

Ducken
03-06-2006, 08:37 AM
Now we get to watch him choke in the Olympics. What a complete disgrace it is that he made the Olympic team.:fire:

WOW you know he has made the team before anyone else? They have established the 24 players that will try out for the 12 spots. And to be honest, even though I am a big time Duke fan, I doubt JJ makes the team.

nyjunc
03-06-2006, 08:55 AM
WOW you know he has made the team before anyone else? They have established the 24 players that will try out for the 12 spots. And to be honest, even though I am a big time Duke fan, I doubt JJ makes the team.

I thought they made the team. My mistake, JJ might be out of the NBA by the next Olympics but w/ K I bet he has a great chance to stick.

Ferretsquig
03-06-2006, 11:23 AM
Classic coach K......

Coach Mike Krzyzewski of Duke said that certain segments of the media have conducted a vendetta against his team this season for what is perceived to be favorable treatment from officials.

"Wow, it's been sad," Krzyzewski said. "And I think it's been orchestrated. I not only think, I know it has been."

"After we played Florida State - the Florida State kids beat us and we had our shots - the only thing that's on is they're going to critique whether Shelden should have had his fifth foul earlier," Krzyzewski said. "I'm not complaining. They shot 40 free throws, we shot 17. It's part of the game.

"Nothing was ever written about that. Nothing. And the story of the game is when Shelden should have had his fifth foul."

http://www.journalnow.com/servlet/Satellite?pagename=WSJ%2FMGArticle%2FWSJ_BasicArticle&c=MGArticle&cid=1137834512614&path=!sports!collegeteampages!duke!&s=

Its a conspiracy against Duke! I mean really.....how else could they possibly lose two games in a row :D

King Felix
03-06-2006, 01:32 PM
haha conspericy

nyjunc
03-06-2006, 04:06 PM
Classic coach K......

http://www.journalnow.com/servlet/Satellite?pagename=WSJ%2FMGArticle%2FWSJ_BasicArticle&c=MGArticle&cid=1137834512614&path=!sports!collegeteampages!duke!&s=

Its a conspiracy against Duke! I mean really.....how else could they possibly lose two games in a row :D

It's funny how nothing was said or written about the ypcial duke class of Dockery w/ his slap in the face and shove of Hansbrough. This continues from the Latenner stomping of a UK player, Jones a few years ago doing pushups , Redick and Muhammed last year, redick refusing to shake the hands of the UConn players at the FF and Melchionni giving the UNC fans the finger last year. It starts at the top and the media is the reason K is so powerful. If not for them they'd realize his program has advanced past the Sweet 16 only four times in 11 years and they'd relaize what a jerk he is and what a classless bunch his teams have been.

Buddwalk
03-06-2006, 04:19 PM
It's funny how nothing was said or written about the ypcial duke class of Dockery w/ his slap in the face and shove of Hansbrough. This continues from the Latenner stomping of a UK player, Jones a few years ago doing pushups , Redick and Muhammed last year, redick refusing to shake the hands of the UConn players at the FF and Melchionni giving the UNC fans the finger last year. It starts at the top and the media is the reason K is so powerful. If not for them they'd realize his program has advanced past the Sweet 16 only four times in 11 years and they'd relaize what a jerk he is and what a classless bunch his teams have been.

:yeahthat:

Ferretsquig
03-06-2006, 04:38 PM
Its kinda odd since when you see him during the little local media sitdowns they do with college coachs hes sounds like a very nice amiable guy, always joking around. But when it comes to being a coach hes ruthless...all it takes is going to a game and listening to the guy rip into his own players as well as the refs.

Ducken
03-06-2006, 06:37 PM

Thats a joke right?? I admit I am a big Duke fan but seriously man, Choah K and his teams have been one of the most respected teams the past 15- 20 years. He runs a clean program, and you never hear any negative reports coming from Duke. I hate NC with a passion, but when Coach Smith was there I had/have great reaspect for his team and program. I can understand the hate for the Duke program caus it is akin to the hate the Yanks now recieve. But to call Coach K a jerk and his program a classles bunch is a little off the deep end.

byroan
03-06-2006, 07:45 PM

Yeah I know. Their whole team is classless. They can't handle losing. Dockery couldn't be more obvious when he threw down Hansbrough. It was more obvious than what happened in the Charlotte/GW game with the elbows being thrown. I can't stand their attitudes. My reason for hating them goes far beyond them just being rivals to UNC.

bg34
03-06-2006, 07:59 PM
That was impressive. Amazing how guys like Ginyard, Sanders, Quentin, and Terry have improved over the course of the season. Not to mention Noel, who goes from an afterthought to being the heart and sole of this team. This team has been the greatest joy to watch of them all. Elite eight here we come :D

I'll give you Ginyard and Terry for sure, QT has improved a little, but the colonel?!! :lol: I guess he has improved since the only way for him to go was up, lol. No one will touch UNC this weekend, they will cruise to an ACC title, IMO. I mean, they've won their last 4 games by a combined 100 POINTS!! God I am so jealous!!....I'm an ncstate fan :( . I agree on the Elite eight too.

bg34
03-06-2006, 08:00 PM
And next year, Dickie V will be all over Carolina's jock for sure.

Ferretsquig
03-06-2006, 08:21 PM
I'll give you Ginyard and Terry for sure, QT has improved a little, but the colonel?!! :lol: I guess he has improved since the only way for him to go was up, lol. No one will touch UNC this weekend, they will cruise to an ACC title, IMO. I mean, they've won their last 4 games by a combined 100 POINTS!! God I am so jealous!!....I'm an ncstate fan :( . I agree on the Elite eight too.

Last year I was wondering why Sanders hadnt transfered. Even at the beginning of this season he and Quentin just seemed to be a turnover waiting to happen every time the ball was in their hands. But over the second half of the season he has provided a solid post presence to backup Tyler, hes stopped lowering his shoulder and getting charges called against him, hes outrunning his man on the break. For a guy whos had a disasterous atheletic career at Carolina, this is a great way to finish.

As for the tourney, I would like to believe they could cruise, but I doubt it. Both BC and State will give their opponents trouble, assuming they make it to the semifinals. If State is hitting the threes and Duke is missing em, they win the game. BC already showed they can beat Carolina...they are just so physical at every position, Carolina needs to get them running in order to win.

nyjunc
03-07-2006, 09:03 AM
Thats a joke right?? I admit I am a big Duke fan but seriously man, Choah K and his teams have been one of the most respected teams the past 15- 20 years. He runs a clean program, and you never hear any negative reports coming from Duke. I hate NC with a passion, but when Coach Smith was there I had/have great reaspect for his team and program. I can understand the hate for the Duke program caus it is akin to the hate the Yanks now recieve. But to call Coach K a jerk and his program a classles bunch is a little off the deep end.

First off please do not compare duke to the Yankees, people hate the Yankees b/c they WIN while people hate duke b/c they are overhyped by every media outlet. 4 times in the past 11 years advancing beyond the Sweet 16 is not Yankee-like.

Secondly, K is a classless jerk. Yeah he plays the media and is a great salesman to recruits but whther it was his treatment of longtime assistant Pete Gaudet, his treatment of Greg Newton, publily criticizing Avery and giving him wrong draft info, publicly criticizing dunleavy or his constant cursing at his players and the officials he is classless.

His teams have also been classless. As I mentioned the '92 East regional Final against UK where Christian Laettner stomped on the chest of a down UK player. Should have been ejected and duke would only have 2 titles. Dahntay Jones and his pushups after a big dunk, the bench player that went nuts at the official after duke lost to IU in '02, reedick refuding to shake the hands of the UConn players after the FF loss in '04, redick getting tangled up w/ Ismail Muhammed of tech last year then as Muhammed wason the ground he stood over him and talked trash, Melchionni giving the finger to the UNC bench and fans after the Heels beat them in '05 and noe Dockery's move. It starts at the top and K is a classless guy. Oh and by the way, a year ago right before John Chaney of temple sent the "goon" in to foul St. Joe's palyer K did the SAME thing when he sent in a player that nevr playes to foul Chris Paul and try to take Paul out of his game. It's typical K and it's typical that the media ignores it.

Last year I was wondering why Sanders hadnt transfered. Even at the beginning of this season he and Quentin just seemed to be a turnover waiting to happen every time the ball was in their hands. But over the second half of the season he has provided a solid post presence to backup Tyler, hes stopped lowering his shoulder and getting charges called against him, hes outrunning his man on the break. For a guy whos had a disasterous atheletic career at Carolina, this is a great way to finish.

I can't remember seeing the type of improvement individually like we have seen from those 2 this year. I can recall over the course of a year or 2 but both were brutal earlier this year and now both are playing really well and w/ such confidence. I thought Byron would leave w/ his one great moment playing in place of May and doing a good job against Okafor in his freshman year when the heels beat UConn but he has really been a contributor and it's great to see.

Ducken
03-07-2006, 06:26 PM
First off please do not compare duke to the Yankees, people hate the Yankees b/c they WIN while people hate duke b/c they are overhyped by every media outlet. 4 times in the past 11 years advancing beyond the Sweet 16 is not Yankee-like.

Secondly, K is a classless jerk. Yeah he plays the media and is a great salesman to recruits but whther it was his treatment of longtime assistant Pete Gaudet, his treatment of Greg Newton, publily criticizing Avery and giving him wrong draft info, publicly criticizing dunleavy or his constant cursing at his players and the officials he is classless.

His teams have also been classless. As I mentioned the '92 East regional Final against UK where Christian Laettner stomped on the chest of a down UK player. Should have been ejected and duke would only have 2 titles. Dahntay Jones and his pushups after a big dunk, the bench player that went nuts at the official after duke lost to IU in '02, reedick refuding to shake the hands of the UConn players after the FF loss in '04, redick getting tangled up w/ Ismail Muhammed of tech last year then as Muhammed wason the ground he stood over him and talked trash, Melchionni giving the finger to the UNC bench and fans after the Heels beat them in '05 and noe Dockery's move. It starts at the top and K is a classless guy. Oh and by the way, a year ago right before John Chaney of temple sent the "goon" in to foul St. Joe's palyer K did the SAME thing when he sent in a player that nevr playes to foul Chris Paul and try to take Paul out of his game. It's typical K and it's typical that the media ignores it.

I can't remember seeing the type of improvement individually like we have seen from those 2 this year. I can recall over the course of a year or 2 but both were brutal earlier this year and now both are playing really well and w/ such confidence. I thought Byron would leave w/ his one great moment playing in place of May and doing a good job against Okafor in his freshman year when the heels beat UConn but he has really been a contributor and it's great to see.

I am not even going to argue with you about this. Typical NC fan view point. :shakeno:

nyjunc
03-07-2006, 06:28 PM
I am not even going to argue with you about this. Typical NC fan view point. :shakeno:

Counter my points, by you not countering you are telling everyone you don't have an argument.

byroan
03-07-2006, 09:13 PM
http://www.finheaven.com/images/imported/2006/03/p1hansbrough4lx-1.jpg

DolphinDevil28
03-08-2006, 01:56 AM
Yeah I know. Their whole team is classless. They can't handle losing. Dockery couldn't be more obvious when he threw down Hansbrough. It was more obvious than what happened in the Charlotte/GW game with the elbows being thrown. I can't stand their attitudes. My reason for hating them goes far beyond them just being rivals to UNC.

C'mon Byroan, you are better than that.

(even though you like carolina.)

nyjunc
03-08-2006, 08:35 AM

(even though you like carolina.)

All the evidence is there. I respect the fact that K is a great coach and runs a clean program and on a certain level I like it how much he despises losing and how that trickles down to the team BUT there have been far too many instances of classless, sore loser moments from duke throughout the years.

byroan
03-08-2006, 12:02 PM

It's too bad dook isn't better than that.