PDA

View Full Version : Brandon Marshall being called "Baby T.O."

FinNasty
03-05-2006, 04:29 AM
Just saw the recap of the combine on NFL Network... Mike Mayock was going position to position talking about 4 or 5 guys that he really liked.

When he got to receivers... he said the obvious guy is Jackson, and another great one is Moss... but that a guy he really liked was Brandon Marshall. Mayock loved his size and said he really answered questions about his speed.

He also said that the scouts around the combine had nicknamed him "Baby T.O."... :cooldude: (And not because of anything off the field :whew: )

Skeet84
03-05-2006, 04:34 AM
Just saw the recap of the combine on NFL Network... Mike Mayock was going position to position talking about 4 or 5 guys that he really liked.

When he got to receivers... he said the obvious guy is Jackson, and another great one is Moss... but that a guy he really liked was Brandon Marshall. Mayock loved his size and said he really answered questions about his speed.

He also said that the scouts around the combine had nicknamed him "Baby T.O."... :cooldude:

To some people that is not a good thing. However I know what you mean.
I seen where he is alittle over 6"4 which is impressive. What did he run at the combine?

FinNasty
03-05-2006, 04:42 AM
To some people that is not a good thing. However I know what you mean.
I seen where he is alittle over 6"4 which is impressive. What did he run at the combine?

a 4.5 flat... he is 6'4&1/2 230lbs...

Skeet84
03-05-2006, 04:47 AM
a 4.5 flat... he is 6'4&1/2 230lbs...

Those are some really nice stats! Thats very impressive. I have a few questions. How good are his hands and what round is he projected to go in?

FinNasty
03-05-2006, 04:55 AM
Those are some really nice stats! Thats very impressive. I have a few questions. How good are his hands and what round is he projected to go in?

His hands are very good. UCF had another stud receiver(Walker) so his stats arnt gaudy, but when Walker got injured, and Marshall was the main man... he put up 210 receiving yards and 3 TDs in the Aloha Bowl... He also had 100+ yards and a TD in the Hula Bowl (Thats right... the lucky b*st*rd got to play twice in Hawaii this year)

He is very solid hands. His route running is the best part of his game, because his cuts and hips are extremely quick for his size...

He was projected to go in the 6th-7th before the combine because he was expected to run in the 4.6-4.7 range... but now he has probably moved up to the 4th maybe even the 3rd...

Skeet84
03-05-2006, 04:59 AM
His hands are very good. UCF had another stud receiver(Walker) so his stats arnt gaudy, but when Walker got injured, and Marshall was the main man... he put up 210 receiving yards and 3 TDs in the Aloha Bowl... He also had 100+ yards and a TD in the Hula Bowl (Thats right... the lucky b*st*rd got to play twice in Hawaii this year)

He is very solid hands. His route running is the best part of his game, because his cuts and hips are extremely quick for his size...

He was projected to go in the 6th-7th before the combine because he was expected to run in the 4.6-4.7 range... but now he has probably moved up to the 4th maybe even the 3rd...

Well that might be a very Nice pick for us in the 4th round cause we really need a 3rd WR. Welker could even play in the Slot at times and that would give us a nice option in the redzone oppisite Chris Chambers

FinNasty
03-05-2006, 05:08 AM
Well that might be a very Nice pick for us in the 4th round cause we really need a 3rd WR. Welker could even play in the Slot at times and that would give us a nice option in the redzone oppisite Chris Chambers
ya... I wouldnt want to spend a 3rd on him, just because we have so many more glaring needs... but I would love to grab him in the 4th...

And ya, he is a hell of a redzone target...

Skeet84
03-05-2006, 05:25 AM
ya... I wouldnt want to spend a 3rd on him, just because we have so many more glaring needs... but I would love to grab him in the 4th...

And ya, he is a hell of a redzone target...

Yeah we have alot of glaring needs and it would be nice to get him in the 4th cause that would really add alittle depth to our WR core.

FinNasty
03-05-2006, 05:34 AM
Yeah we have alot of glaring needs and it would be nice to get him in the 4th cause that would really add alittle depth to our WR core.
One of the reasons why he isnt projected to go higher... is that if you look at his carrer stats... he doesnt really have any in 2004. Thats because he was moved to safety because of a string of injuries to the defense...

And while playing safety... he led the team in tackles...

Geforce
03-05-2006, 08:22 AM
Do you guys really think he'll be there for us in the 4th? Especially after he answered the question about his speed and the way he played in the Hula Bowl against what was supposed to be better competition.

Pennington's Rocket Arm
03-05-2006, 11:16 AM
mike walker reminds me more of owens than marshall.

Motion
03-05-2006, 11:31 AM
Do you guys really think he'll be there for us in the 4th? Especially after he answered the question about his speed and the way he played in the Hula Bowl against what was supposed to be better competition.

I don't think so. I think he'll go no later than the 3rd, unfortunately.

Dors156
03-05-2006, 11:46 AM
yea i remmeber hearing mayock say that

FinNasty
03-05-2006, 02:33 PM
No way... Walker is way faster... and not as big...

FinNasty
03-05-2006, 02:37 PM
Selfishly... I hope so. I mean, I want him to go as high as possible for his sake... but I really want us to be able to get him in the 4th...
But since he had a great showing and solidified a 4.5 in his Pro Day... he might have snuck up into the 3rd... :(

musphinzfan
03-05-2006, 02:41 PM

How??....Walkers Smaller and uses his quickness....To and Marshall are almost Identical right...Hieght Size speed and they way they use their long arms.

Is this Walker jr or sr coming?

FinNasty
03-05-2006, 03:53 PM
How??....Walkers Smaller and uses his quickness....To and Marshall are almost Identical right...Hieght Size speed and they way they use their long arms.

Is this Walker jr or sr coming?
I agree... Walker has good size (6'2) but is a burner...

oh... and I'm pretty sure Walker is going to be a senior....

Pennington's Rocket Arm
03-05-2006, 05:22 PM
No way... Walker is way faster... and not as big...
he's an inch shorter than owens and has the same gamebreaking ability as him. marshall is still more of a possession guy in my book.

FinNasty
03-05-2006, 05:31 PM
he's an inch shorter than owens and has the same gamebreaking ability as him. marshall is still more of a possession guy in my book.
Na... Walker is a gamebreaker no doubt... but much differently than T.O. I mean, Steve Smith is a game breaker too... but he is a much different type of gamebreaker than T.O. I cant think of someone who Walker would compare to right now, but he doesnt play like TO.

Marshall is much more similar to T.O. than Walker because BM doesnt have any fear going across the middle and can still break a game open. There is no doubt that Marshall is more of a possesion guy... but I mean, he had 210 yards and 3 TDs in the Aloha Bowl... that is pretty game breaking to me. He also runs his routes and has short strides like a smaller WR which makes him able to get alot more seperation than a normal possession WR...

And anyway... I didn't nickname him "Baby T.O."... the NFL scouts did... :wink:

Geforce
03-05-2006, 07:00 PM
This was the problem with Chan Gailey's offense last season. He didn't use Brandon Marshall to the best of his ability. Gailey liked Walker to stretch the offense while he Marshall on the short to intermediate stuff. It wasn't until Walker went down and he used Marshall in Walker's role that Marshall began to show what he could do. Marshall may not be as fast as Walker but he runs better routes and has better hands.

FinNasty
03-05-2006, 07:16 PM
This was the problem with Chan Gailey's offense last season. He didn't use Brandon Marshall to the best of his ability. Gailey liked Walker to stretch the offense while he Marshall on the short to intermediate stuff. It wasn't until Walker went down and he used Marshall in Walker's role that Marshall began to show what he could do. Marshall may not be as fast as Walker but he runs better routes and has better hands.
I completely agree...

outtawack311
03-05-2006, 08:25 PM

You mean George O'leary's offense. He is our (ucf) head coach and Tim Salem is the OC.

King Felix
03-05-2006, 08:56 PM
ill take him

Geforce
03-05-2006, 11:08 PM
You mean George O'leary's offense. He is our (ucf) head coach and Tim Salem is the OC.
Yeah Him...Thanks for the correction.

TerryTate
03-05-2006, 11:54 PM
Patriots like the guy big time. The Bucs, Eagles, and others are big fans. I have a funny feeling that the Pats will pick him up at #21 in the first round.

If my feeling is wrong, he goes in the 2nd round, and is definitely picked late day 1 as the worst-case scenario.

FinNasty
03-06-2006, 12:03 AM
Patriots like the guy big time. The Bucs, Eagles, and others are big fans. I have a funny feeling that the Pats will pick him up at #21 in the first round.

If my feeling is wrong, he goes in the 2nd round, and is definitely picked late day 1 as the worst-case scenario.
wow...

those are some really strong words Tate... you really think he is going to go that high?

TerryTate
03-06-2006, 01:36 AM
wow...

those are some really strong words Tate... you really think he is going to go that high?

Yep, based on some rumblings I heard yesterday.

Skeet84
03-06-2006, 01:50 AM

Probably 3rd. I can't see him going in the 1st or early to mid 2nd.

cltchperf
03-06-2006, 01:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juan Cribbs

don't you guys mean Javon Walker, who's mike walker?

TerryTate
03-06-2006, 02:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juan Cribbs

don't you guys mean Javon Walker, who's mike walker?

Mike Walker is the other starting receiver that plays for UCF. He's probably the best athlete on the Golden Knights roster right now. If his knee heals and he has a good/great season, he could easily go on day 1 in next year's draft.

Phinsfan1980
03-06-2006, 02:33 AM
So when Mayock said that was it with his crazy lisp?

FinNasty
03-06-2006, 02:41 AM

Really? What exactly did you hear? and where did you hear it from?

ckparrothead
03-06-2006, 11:22 AM
The scouts are noticing his second gear, as well as the potential he has for chucking CBs at the line of scrimmage...and that is why they are calling him "baby TO". Those two attributes in particular. He doesn't have Owens' second gear, nor is he the amazing athlete Owens was coming out of college...but the amazing thing is that at his size, that he HAS a second gear at all. Most guys don't. I've never seen a good second gear in Stovall...or his teammate Samardjiza. Marshall also can at time abuse corners physically at the line and further up the field, like TO does. It's an apt nickname, for sure.

But if he goes first round to the Patriots at #21 I'll be laughing pretty hard. I love Marshall but he's not THAT good. For such a big man with potential to be ferocious on the line of scrimmage against the jam, he's not consistent with it. And also, regardless of what his 40 time might do to convince you otherwise, he does not have the speed to go deep or burn corners on double moves. He gets open by a few steps in the intermediate areas, but the longer the route, the more ground the CB makes up on him. I've seen this in action.

Basically I think if you loved Mike Williams you love Brandon Marshall...same kind of kid...both a little inexperienced at the position. What I like about Marshall is that where you had to take Mike Williams #10 to get hold of him, you can probably get Marshall in the 3rd...maybe even the 4th.

And Marques Colston is another guy to watch. Unlike Marshall, he does have the speed to separate deep. If Marshall is "baby TO" then Colston is "baby Boston"

FinNasty
03-06-2006, 11:57 AM
The scouts are noticing his second gear, as well as the potential he has for chucking CBs at the line of scrimmage...and that is why they are calling him "baby TO". Those two attributes in particular. He doesn't have Owens' second gear, nor is he the amazing athlete Owens was coming out of college...but the amazing thing is that at his size, that he HAS a second gear at all. Most guys don't. I've never seen a good second gear in Stovall...or his teammate Samardjiza. Marshall also can at time abuse corners physically at the line and further up the field, like TO does. It's an apt nickname, for sure.

But if he goes first round to the Patriots at #21 I'll be laughing pretty hard. I love Marshall but he's not THAT good. For such a big man with potential to be ferocious on the line of scrimmage against the jam, he's not consistent with it. And also, regardless of what his 40 time might do to convince you otherwise, he does not have the speed to go deep or burn corners on double moves. He gets open by a few steps in the intermediate areas, but the longer the route, the more ground the CB makes up on him. I've seen this in action.

Basically I think if you loved Mike Williams you love Brandon Marshall...same kind of kid...both a little inexperienced at the position. What I like about Marshall is that where you had to take Mike Williams #10 to get hold of him, you can probably get Marshall in the 3rd...maybe even the 4th.

And Marques Colston is another guy to watch. Unlike Marshall, he does have the speed to separate deep. If Marshall is "baby TO" then Colston is "baby Boston"

ya... I thought "Baby TO" was a very fitting nickname... because they are pretty comparable... Big, fearless across the middle, and can physically dominate corners...

but like you said... if the Pats took him in the 1st I would laugh... just because of the value they would be wasting with that pick.... because they could definatly get him in the 2nd.

However, I would then cry because my favorite player in this draft would be going to the team I hate the most... :fire:

ckparrothead
03-06-2006, 02:15 PM
It seems to me when the Patriots get into the late first round, or second round, they "reach" a lot for players they are sure will end up solid players. They never gamble that kind of pick. Ben Watson, Daniel Graham, Eugene Wilson, Bethel Johnson, Logan Mankins...even Matt Light to an extent. All are guys that I can specifically remember were projected lower than where the Pats ended up taking them.

Vince Wilfork is the only guy I can recall them getting in that area that was a guy who "fell" to them.

Miamibyrd_24
03-06-2006, 02:39 PM
Just imagine If UCF had a top Qb, how these recievers would develop.

FinNasty
03-06-2006, 02:40 PM
It seems to me when the Patriots get into the late first round, or second round, they "reach" a lot for players they are sure will end up solid players. They never gamble that kind of pick. Ben Watson, Daniel Graham, Eugene Wilson, Bethel Johnson, Logan Mankins...even Matt Light to an extent. All are guys that I can specifically remember were projected lower than where the Pats ended up taking them.

Vince Wilfork is the only guy I can recall them getting in that area that was a guy who "fell" to them.
ya... I remember thinking Watson was a reach. I was sure they were going to go after Ben Troope... Mankins was definatly a reach too...

ckparrothead
03-06-2006, 03:03 PM
ya... I remember thinking Watson was a reach. I was sure they were going to go after Ben Troope... Mankins was definatly a reach too...

Even Ty Warren at #13 was a surprise pick. Daniel Graham was predicted to go maybe at the very bottom of the first...not #21 overall. Bethel Johnson was DEFINITELY a reach, but he was the only WR left with top line speed. I specifically remember Matt Light being projected lower than he went. I know Eugene Wilson and Ellis Hobbs were both projected lower than the Pats took them. Marquise Hill has been pegged as a mid-to-late 3rd round prospect and the Pats took him with the last pick in round 2.

The reason I put quotes around the "BPA" is because it seems sometimes like they take the guy that is most highly rated at a position they want, and their only acid test for taking him is "Will he be there when we pick next? No? Ok take him."

FinNasty
03-06-2006, 03:10 PM
Even Ty Warren at #13 was a surprise pick. Daniel Graham was predicted to go maybe at the very bottom of the first...not #21 overall. Bethel Johnson was DEFINITELY a reach, but he was the only WR left with top line speed. I specifically remember Matt Light being projected lower than he went. I know Eugene Wilson and Ellis Hobbs were both projected lower than the Pats took them. Marquise Hill has been pegged as a mid-to-late 3rd round prospect and the Pats took him with the last pick in round 2.

The reason I put quotes around the "BPA" is because it seems sometimes like they take the guy that is most highly rated at a position they want, and their only acid test for taking him is "Will he be there when we pick next? No? Ok take him."

that is a terrible draft stategy... IMO, the draft is all about value. If you really want a guy, and know that you can get him a little later... you trade down, aquire more picks, and get your guy...

ckparrothead
03-06-2006, 03:16 PM
that is a terrible draft stategy... IMO, the draft is all about value. If you really want a guy, and know that you can get him a little later... you trade down, aquire more picks, and get your guy...

I'm not going to say whether it's terrible or not. They end up focusing on guys they really like, regardless of the consensus draft position, and their only questions clearly are will he be there when we pick again, and can we trade down. If both answers are no they pick.

Hard to tell the team that has 3 championships in the last 5 years that their draft strategy is terrible.

FinNasty
03-06-2006, 03:29 PM
I'm not going to say whether it's terrible or not. They end up focusing on guys they really like, regardless of the consensus draft position, and their only questions clearly are will he be there when we pick again, and can we trade down. If both answers are no they pick.

Hard to tell the team that has 3 championships in the last 5 years that their draft strategy is terrible.
oh no doubt... but if they played the draft using the value theory like I was saying... imagine what they could do with the players they targeted... plus the extra draft picks that they would have aquired while trading down...