PDA

View Full Version : Nabo's pathetic grab at attention :)

NaboCane
03-04-2006, 08:41 PM
30 more posts and I'm in! :lol:
Sugarcane should get in regardless of posts, as a legacy member. :D

Here's a couple of me right after bi-lateral knee replacement surgery last August:
http://www.finheaven.com/clear.gif

NJFINSFAN1
03-04-2006, 08:51 PM
Ouch!:eek:

The Confessor
03-04-2006, 09:22 PM
Nabs, I could have done without those pics. I gotta go see the knee doc monday afternoon. I was only able to ski mornings last weekend. They have been popping and hurt like bejeezus for a few years.... Soooo, do you still have those YKK zippers? OUCH

d-day
03-04-2006, 09:23 PM

Here's a couple of me right after bi-lateral knee replacement surgery last August:
http://www.myfilehut.com/userfiles/42359/DSC00404-40pct.JPG

http://www.myfilehut.com/userfiles/42359/DSC00398.JPG

:eek: - you got any after pics nabo?

darkmistress
03-04-2006, 09:35 PM

:eek2: those pics make my knees go weak just at the thought of it...

Are those staples in your leg? I know they use staples in the rugby league during games in order to get the guys back out on the field faster. It's some seriously nasty stuff :o

Buddwalk
03-04-2006, 09:43 PM

ouch bro why did you get that done? Looks like it hurt too

Reminder to self take picture of self on cell phone camera tonight :wink:

The Confessor
03-04-2006, 09:45 PM
I know they use staples in the rugby league during games in order to get the guys back out on the field faster. It's some seriously nasty stuff :o

They do WHAT:egads: :escape:

I know that down-under football is serious business, and I know sometimes our guys get a shot in the locker room, but dang that is prime-evil brutal

darkmistress
03-04-2006, 10:04 PM
They do WHAT:egads: :escape:

I know that down-under football is serious business, and I know sometimes our guys get a shot in the locker room, but dang that is prime-evil brutal

yep they get one chance to stay on the field if they can stop the bleeding if they start bleeding again they have to go off, if it's too deep for a bandage they click in some staples so they can go back out quickly (this is all becasue of limited substitutions) then at the halftime break or at full time they get replaced with stitches. The camera crews love getting that stuff on film and it's just plan nasty :eek2:

NaboCane
03-04-2006, 10:06 PM
Nabs, I could have done without those pics. I gotta go see the knee doc monday afternoon. I was only able to ski mornings last weekend. They have been popping and hurt like bejeezus for a few years.... Soooo, do you still have those YKK zippers? OUCH

ouch bro why did you get that done? Looks like it hurt too

Reminder to self take picture of self on cell phone camera tonight :wink:

:eek: - you got any after pics nabo?

:eek2: those pics make my knees go weak just at the thought of it...

Are those staples in your leg? I know they use staples in the rugby league during games in order to get the guys back out on the field faster. It's some seriously nasty stuff :o

1. az, no way you're this bad off if you're still skiing. You prob just have torn/loose cartilage, just a scope and you're done. Athletic guy like you will walk right out of recovery. And they took the zipper out 4 weeks after the surgery. Hurt like a mother.

2. Budd, because I was in so much pain that I needed crutches already. sometimes one of the knees would just give out...just go. Very disconcerting.

3. No after pics, it's just two big-*** scars now.

4. Yeah, I have to say this is not for the squeamish; they are indeed staples, about 80 per leg. But I gotta tell you, if someone so much as brushed up on those staples, I would literally not be able to keep from screaming, they hurt that bad. And I was on three different painkillers, two narcotic! I cannot...CANNOT imagine playing full-contact with those in. I'd faint like a little girl.

darkmistress
03-04-2006, 10:13 PM
4. Yeah, I have to say this is not for the squeamish; they are indeed staples, about 80 per leg. But I gotta tell you, if someone so much as brushed up on those staples, I would literally not be able to keep from screaming, they hurt that bad. And I was on three different painkillers, two narcotic! I cannot...CANNOT imagine playing full-contact with those in. I'd faint like a little girl.

If their injuries were as severe as that I don't think they'd be allowed back on the field lol... it's usually for the head gashes... but dang they look painful as hell :eek:

cnc66
03-04-2006, 10:31 PM
I had a friend get twenty of them in his thigh, he told me never again would he allow staples.

NewEra8
03-04-2006, 11:43 PM
Talk about bleeding aqua and orange... miami gear in the hospital... impressive...

NaboCane
03-05-2006, 12:32 AM
If their injuries were as severe as that I don't think they'd be allowed back on the field lol... it's usually for the head gashes... but dang they look painful as hell :eek:

They are. They really are.

NaboCane
03-05-2006, 12:38 AM
I had a friend get twenty of them in his thigh, he told me never again would he allow staples.

Thanks Nabo and thanks everyone,I think skape will put me in now,at least I hope he does.By the time he gets around to it I'll have my 500.

Damn Nabo that's some serious **** there,I hope the surgery helped you out a lot?Are the knees good now? WOW!! Not eveyone is that brave,props to you man! :)

Talk about bleeding aqua and orange... miami gear in the hospital... impressive...

I get better every day, thanks. And it didn't take courage so much as need; I wasn't able to even walk without pain anymore. No choice, really. And yeah Marty, no way anyone ever shoots staples into me again.

Miami, baby. Gotta represent!

Wildbill3
03-05-2006, 12:39 AM

http://www.myfilehut.com/userfiles/42359/DSC00398.JPGdude those scars Rock!!! :eek:

I saw a video for how that works, the part where they shave the bones and drill holes pretty much did it for me. I guess I'll cut back on the wheels joke now... :couch:

NaboCane
03-05-2006, 12:49 AM
dude those scars Rock!!! :eek:

I saw a video for how that works, the part where they shave the bones and drill holes pretty much did it for me. I guess I'll cut back on the wheels joke now... :couch:

I think that there are two really cool aspects to the operation; (NOW they seem cool, back then nothing seemed very cool at all) one is the fact that at some point, both my legs were split and laid open like a couple of sausages that have been cooked too long and burst lengthwise; and the other is that when they sawed my old knees off at the femur and tibia, for about a half hour I was officially an amputee - then they put the chrome-alloy knees in and fixed me right up again!

Wildbill3
03-05-2006, 12:55 AM
I think that there are two really cool aspects to the operation; (NOW they seem cool, back then nothing seemed very cool at all) one is the fact that at some point, both my legs were split and laid open like a couple of sausages that have been cooked too long and burst lengthwise; and the other is that when they sawed my old knees off at the femur and tibia, for about a half hour I was officially an amputee - then they put the chrome-alloy knees in and fixed me right up again!so, I know they are better than your original knees, but are they superior to a healthy persons knees?:confused:

NaboCane
03-05-2006, 01:06 AM
so, I know they are better than your original knees, but are they superior to a healthy persons knees?:confused:

Technically and mechanically, yes. Practically, no.

They are stronger, but they are married to bone; so conceivably something could happen there, but I ain't thinking about it ever. Also, I can't have any infection of any type for two years - if I do, and it travels to the knees, it could deteriorate that same bond and cause me to have another operation; if it got bad enough, amputation or rigid implants are a possibility. But once I pass the 2-year mark, I'm technically better than new.

Downside: I'll never run again for exercise; the wear on the polyethelyne discs that act as cartilage in the joint would be excessive and necessitate what they cal;l "revision" surgery - that's when they update the replacement. I can run just fine if I need to, but if I run 1-3 miles a day like I used to the implant would last 1/4 of its expected 20-year lifespan.

I'll also never ski again or do anything that would put me in danger of taking a blow to the joint, or a torsion injury. That would be bad.

But I can walk, hike, lift, bike, do yoga, tai chi, or any other non-impact sport.

But I'll miss having the option of running, I really will.

Wildbill3
03-05-2006, 01:09 AM

They are stronger, but they are married to bone; so conceivably something could happen there, but I ain't thinking about it ever. Also, I can't have any infection of any type for two years - if I do, and it travels to the knees, it could deteriorate that same bond and cause me to have another operation; if it got bad enough, amputation or rigid implants are a possibility. But once I pass the 2-year mark, I'm technically better than new.

Downside: I'll never run again for exercise; the wear on the polyethelyne discs that act as cartilage in the joint would be excessive and necessitate what they cal;l "revision" surgery - that's when they update the replacement. I can run just fine if I need to, but if I run 1-3 miles a day like I used to the implant would last 1/4 of its expected 20-year lifespan.

I'll also never ski again or do anything that would put me in danger of taking a blow to the joint, or a torsion injury. That would be bad.

But I can walk, hike, lift, bike, do yoga, tai chi, or any other non-impact sport.

But I'll miss having the option of running, I really will.I guess I would miss the option of running, but right now I can say I'll never miss or want to run again, unless I am being chased.

and wow to the "no infections" thing, that is serious man! :eek:

King Nate
03-05-2006, 02:51 AM
Chicks dig scars.

Good thinking Nabo.

d-day
03-05-2006, 03:00 AM
Chicks dig scars.

Good thinking Nabo.

chicks dig me because i rarely wear underwear and when i do it's usually something exotic: mesh, low rise, bikini...

Dubfire
03-05-2006, 12:38 PM
chicks dig me because i rarely wear underwear and when i do it's usually something exotic: mesh, low rise, bikini...

:spit:

The Confessor
03-05-2006, 01:07 PM
I'll also never ski again
===> Dont know what I would do, I really dont.:boohoo::boohoo:

But I'll miss having the option of running, I really will. Can you still run to the fridge for a cold one:happydrin

Hope everything heals alright Nabo. How much longer till the two year infection thing is over?

I am surprised they use polyethelyne. It is very soft, but very low Co-efficient of friction. Probably UHMW (Ultra High Molecular Weight)

NJFINSFAN1
03-05-2006, 02:42 PM
I'll also never ski again

:boohoo: :boohoo:

I could not take that!!:boohoo:

NaboCane
03-05-2006, 03:31 PM
===> Dont know what I would do, I really dont.:boohoo::boohoo:

Can you still run to the fridge for a cold one:happydrin

Hope everything heals alright Nabo. How much longer till the two year infection thing is over?

I am surprised they use polyethelyne. It is very soft, but very low Co-efficient of friction. Probably UHMW (Ultra High Molecular Weight)

1 1/2 more years, hoping nothing goes wrong in the meantime.

Yeah, I was surprised by the use of poly; I would've thought maybe some composite that used teflon or something similar. But apparently it works.

Fin Fan in Cali
03-05-2006, 03:42 PM

But I'll miss having the option of running, I really will.Hey Nabo, I hope that your year and half good by quickly with no infection bro! Here's to a wonderful life for you bro!:beerbang:

NaboCane
03-05-2006, 03:44 PM
Hey Nabo, I hope that your year and half good by quickly with no infection bro! Here's to a wonderful life for you bro!:beerbang:

Thanks John! It gets better every day, and I hope it keeps up that way.

themole
03-05-2006, 04:25 PM
Thanks John![QUOTE] It gets better every day, and I hope it keeps up that way.

Nabo, I had an ACL replacement when I was 44 from an old football injury.

I think I had around 15 staples over my Patella. They gave me 3 options for ligaments, Synthetic, Cadaver or a half inch strip three inches long removed from my patella ligament.

I choose the patella ligament. Due to the nature of my work, it took me nine months to recover and return to work.

That first night in the hospital I used up my supply of Morphine through the automatic dispenser by 1AM.:lol:

I don't believe in hurting, and I never did.

NaboCane
03-05-2006, 04:51 PM
[quote=NaboCane]Thanks John!

Nabo, I had an ACL replacement when I was 44 from an old football injury.

I think I had around 15 staples over my Patella. They gave me 3 options for ligaments, Synthetic, Cadaver or a half inch strip three inches long removed from my patella ligament.

I choose the patella ligament. Due to the nature of my work, it took me nine months to recover and return to work.

That first night in the hospital I used up my supply of Morphine through the automatic dispenser by 1AM.:lol:

I don't believe in hurting, and I never did.

Yeah, I know what you mean man. in the 2 weeks right after the surgery, they had me severely undermedicated. Of course, not knowing what the baseline was for this sort of thing, I just thought, well, this is how much it's supposed to hurt. And you know, they're making you walk right away, and it was agony. Finally someone woke up and they doubled my dose of oxycontin. Worked like a charm. :D

themole
03-05-2006, 05:30 PM
Yeah, I know what you mean man. in the 2 weeks right after the surgery, [QUOTE]they had me severely undermedicated. Of course, not knowing what the baseline was for this sort of thing, I just thought, well, this is how much it's supposed to hurt. And you know, they're making you walk right away, and it was agony. Finally someone woke up and they doubled my dose of oxycontin. Worked like a charm. :D

Where I lucked out is the Orthopedic Surgon is a good friend of mine.

At first, I told him I wanted to be awake and watch the procedure on the monitor. He didn't like that idea because they would have had to give me an epidural. His excuse was, no need to put a needle that close to the spine unless you have to. He was lying!:lol: He later told me he was afraid I might go bersurkee on him in the middle of the operation. But he did see to it that I had no PAIN.

NewEra8
03-05-2006, 05:52 PM
Nabo, my fathers actually a retired Orthopediac Surgeon (Sports medicine... Team doctor here at JMU for 30 years with football and basketball) so if ya had any questions for him, Id be happy to ask and report back...

NaboCane
03-05-2006, 06:13 PM
Nabo, my fathers actually a retired Orthopediac Surgeon (Sports medicine... Team doctor here at JMU for 30 years with football and basketball) so if ya had any questions for him, Id be happy to ask and report back...
Thanks man, I appreciate that. My doc's pretty good to me though. But I'll keep that in mind.

edit: I broke these out from Skape's thread, it was getting to be too many off-topic posts.

FIN-IN-RI
03-05-2006, 09:15 PM
Those are some serious slices in your legs nabo..
Hope your recovery goes smooth..Get well soon!

NJFINSFAN1
03-05-2006, 09:19 PM
Some guys will do anything for attention!:njphins:

PHINATIC13
03-05-2006, 09:26 PM
Wow! Nabo that hurts me just to see those staples.I push for the Morphine drip if I were you, goodluck with your recovery man.

NaboCane
03-05-2006, 09:51 PM
Those are some serious slices in your legs nabo..
Hope your recovery goes smooth..Get well soon!

Wow! Nabo that hurts me just to see those staples.I push for the Morphine drip if I were you, goodluck with your recovery man.

Thanks guys, I'm 6 months out of surgery and doing great. Still doing PT, but the progress is there.

Some guys will do anything for attention!:njphins:

:rolleyes2

NaboCane
03-05-2006, 09:52 PM

Morphine doesn't do crap for me, I'm so resistant to all that stuff.

PHINATIC13
03-05-2006, 10:00 PM

NaboCane unless I missed it this thread what was the cause of having to have knee replacement surgery? if you don't mind me asking.

NaboCane
03-05-2006, 11:13 PM
NaboCane unless I missed it this thread what was the cause of having to have knee replacement surgery? if you don't mind me asking.

A lifetime of self-inlicted abuse, essentially. I ran all my life, to keep my weight down - a constant battle in my life. then being overweight at several intervals through the years didn't help.

Add to all that several injuries that required a lot of arthros, and eventually you run out of cartilage...that's when the fun really begins.

So, my advice to anyone who wants it: Don't run. No matter how invulnerable you feel now, that bill will come due sooner or later.

Megatron
03-06-2006, 01:53 AM
Well I was uncertain at times but now I know I could kick Nabo's butt, and if for some reason I couldn't then I could at least run away.:lol:

Wildbill3
03-06-2006, 01:58 AM
Well I was uncertain at times but now I know I could kick Nabo's butt, and if for some reason I couldn't then I could at least run away.:lol:megatron < bionic Kneecaps.

Gonzo
03-06-2006, 02:11 AM
megatron < bionic Kneecaps.

We should keep Nabo in mind if we have to replace Mare...

Buddwalk
03-06-2006, 02:21 AM

Damn morphine doesnt help you...you must be a new evolved form of human being being able to fight off that :tongue:

anthony!
03-06-2006, 08:28 AM
Damn morphine doesnt help you...you must be a new evolved form of human being being able to fight off that :tongue:

Yeah I'd say. The **** makes me float for hours...

The Confessor
03-06-2006, 08:37 AM
We should keep Nabo in mind if we have to replace Mare...

I can see the new movie now. Its like the one about the kid who has elbow surgery and the docs tie the tendon too tight so he pitches some evil junk....

Nabo nailin 70 yarders.....:D
HEck if you could make a 30 yarder when it mattered you would be a step up on our current kicker...:evil:

GRAPEAPE
03-06-2006, 10:31 AM
Nabo: Glad your doing well. It has been 2 years since my last Knee Surgery. The last one they did a Bone Graft from my thigh into my knee. They refuse to do a replacement until I am at least 45. On my right knee I have the same scars as you do except I have 2 of them. 1 for the knee then 1 for the thigh where they harvested the bone from. Pain killers don't work on me either, and life really sucks when your constantly in pain. But all is well.

Here's what you can look forward to. My father has had both Knees, Hip, and a Shoulder replaced. His last replacement was 5 years ago. He is now in better shape then he ever was before. He swims daily, does low impact weight lifting, and rides his bike. He is a totally different person then when I was a teenager at home. Because of the constant pain he was always irratated, and depressed. But now he is happy and actually nice sometimes. Keep up with the PT you'll be new and improved. Good luck.

NaboCane
03-06-2006, 01:36 PM
Well I was uncertain at times but now I know I could kick Nabo's butt, and if for some reason I couldn't then I could at least run away.:lol:

:sidelol:

NaboCane
03-06-2006, 01:43 PM
Nabo: Glad your doing well. It has been 2 years since my last Knee Surgery. The last one they did a Bone Graft from my thigh into my knee. They refuse to do a replacement until I am at least 45. On my right knee I have the same scars as you do except I have 2 of them. 1 for the knee then 1 for the thigh where they harvested the bone from. Pain killers don't work on me either, and life really sucks when your constantly in pain. But all is well.

Here's what you can look forward to. My father has had both Knees, Hip, and a Shoulder replaced. His last replacement was 5 years ago. He is now in better shape then he ever was before. He swims daily, does low impact weight lifting, and rides his bike. He is a totally different person then when I was a teenager at home. Because of the constant pain he was always irratated, and depressed. But now he is happy and actually nice sometimes. Keep up with the PT you'll be new and improved. Good luck.
Great sig!

Thanks man, I know things are getting better every day, and in 6 months I'll be good.

As to your situation...I feel for you, I really do. I was bad at 27, but still playing softball and stuff. But seriously, you should get a second opinion. My doc, when we discussed the surgery and I expressed concern that I was too young to have replacements, told me that he has done replacements for people as young as 19 when medically warranted. Yes, there's the issue of having to have revisions at least 3 times in your life, but as their technology gets better, you're bound to see that as a non-issue down the line.

No one should have to live in debilitating pain, and that's what the doc told me - he said that when the pain got to where I couldn't do the reasonable activities to make me have quality of life, then it would be time, regardless of age. Good luck man.

GRAPEAPE
03-06-2006, 01:56 PM
Thanks Nabo. The last year I have been doing well. I stopped playing softball, running, heavy weightlifting, basically anyting that was high impact. I still play golf but that's really it. I always thought that surrounding the joints with muscles would take strain off, WRONG. The old man and I have a degenerative cartilage disorder, which bascially turns cartialge into the pulp you see in orange juice. Over the years I have trained myself to ingnore the pain. I know it sounds all macho and trying to be a hardass. But it works for me, well that and Vioxx, Celebrex, ice packs and a heating pad. I feel like and "old Man" sometimes but it's cool. I will talk to my doc about replacements next time I see him for my 6 month MRI.

Gonzo
03-06-2006, 02:05 PM
I can see the new movie now. Its like the one about the kid who has elbow surgery and the docs tie the tendon too tight so he pitches some evil junk....

Nabo nailin 70 yarders.....:D
HEck if you could make a 30 yarder when it mattered you would be a step up on our current kicker...:evil:

Fortunately they already tried that with Pennington. It had the opposite effect. Monkeys sling poop with more vigor than he throws a ball.

especially puppet monkeys

ChrisKo
03-06-2006, 03:44 PM
Thanks Nabo. The last year I have been doing well. I stopped playing softball, running, heavy weightlifting, basically anyting that was high impact. I still play golf but that's really it. I always thought that surrounding the joints with muscles would take strain off, WRONG. The old man and I have a degenerative cartilage disorder, which bascially turns cartialge into the pulp you see in orange juice. Over the years I have trained myself to ingnore the pain. I know it sounds all macho and trying to be a hardass. But it works for me, well that and Vioxx, Celebrex, ice packs and a heating pad. I feel like and "old Man" sometimes but it's cool. I will talk to my doc about replacements next time I see him for my 6 month MRI.

Wow, your pain sounds much worse than anything I've gone through with my knees so far. <knocks on wood/>

I had a complete tear of the ACL in my right knee about 13 years ago and had patella replacement for that. Then, I fractured the tibial plateu, slightly tore the meniscus, and completely tore the ACL in my left knee (patella replacement as well) a little over a year ago. I'm still pretty active and get some soreness when I'm very agressive, but it's been pretty low, thankfully.

I've got ortho pictures of the last ACL operation if anyone really wants to see them.

Hope you can get through without having to have a knee replacement. And I hope Nabo's bionic knees server him as well as they should!

Sidenote, it sucked this past time because my orthopedic surgeon was a die-hard Patriots fan and I had to go to his offices filled with Pats gear. Sfter my operation in Dec 2004, I had to put up with all the Super Bowl Champ T-shirts during my post-op visit. But then again, I would just think back to that great December 20th game. I was so ready to jump up and down, but then I realized the pain might be too much and I might tear the stitch on the meniscus.

NJFINSFAN1
03-06-2006, 05:15 PM

NaboCane
03-06-2006, 05:36 PM
http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/scifitv/images/SixMillion.jpg

http://www.finheaven.com/images/imported/2006/03/bionicwoman0yi-1.jpg

NJFINSFAN1
03-06-2006, 05:52 PM
http://img103.imageshack.us/img103/2738/bionicwoman0yi.jpg

:sidelol: You lucky dog!!!

NaboCane
03-06-2006, 06:00 PM
:sidelol: You lucky dog!!!

Yeah...but now all I want to do is stay home and play with, um...the cat.