PDA

View Full Version : graphic designers?

billz
03-05-2006, 06:47 PM
I am 16 and a junior in High School. Are any of you guys graphic designers, and do it as a profession?

I would like to know this because i want to be a graphic designer, so I was wondering how it is from someone who is actually one

thanks

Jt0323
03-05-2006, 06:50 PM
I am 16 and a junior in High School. Are any of you guys graphic designers, and do it as a profession?

I would like to know this because i want to be a graphic designer, so I was wondering how it is from someone who is actually one

thanks

i also want to do something along those lines, right now im taking a class on graphic design, dose ur school offer a class like that? if so take it, the thing that help me get better is practicing, Practice tutorials and get an understanding on them, if your serious of becoming a graphic designer you should get photoshop if u do not already have it, good luck!

darkmistress
03-05-2006, 07:15 PM
Graphic design is much more than just photoshop. In fact I rarely if ever use my photoshop comp/sig skills in my design work. It's mostly page layout and brochure design etc. Get InDesign or Quark Xpress and get up to speed with your page layout and design if you're interested. There are a lot of people in the industry so don't expect too much money especially early on. Bone up on your techincal skills they are very important. Other than that it's great :wink:

My advice don't do it if you have a short fuse, clients can and will be the end of you :chuckle:

TheAnswer385
03-05-2006, 07:25 PM
yea DM im planing on going to a small college for graphic design its cool right??

dolphinfan2k5
03-05-2006, 07:34 PM
I'm thinking about doing something like that too, but I'm concerned about a low salary.

darkmistress
03-05-2006, 07:43 PM
yea DM im planing on going to a small college for graphic design its cool right??
I would assume so. Anything you can get on paper always helps, plus getting insider knowledge is always handy. But in the end it's your design ability and technical skills that matter the most. About 40%/50% of the industry is people who haven't gone to a college and learnt on the job. That's where you'll pick up most of the technical side of things and learn the real pressures of a deadline. :wink:

darkmistress
03-05-2006, 07:45 PM
I'm thinking about doing something like that too, but I'm concerned about a low salary.
like any other job the more experience you get the more money you'll make. Just don't expect to become a millionaire... (unless you end up doing a freelance logo design for Microsoft or something :chuckle: )

TheAnswer385
03-05-2006, 08:00 PM
I would assume so. Anything you can get on paper always helps, plus getting insider knowledge is always handy. But in the end it's your design ability and technical skills that matter the most. About 40%/50% of the industry is people who haven't gone to a college and learnt on the job. That's where you'll pick up most of the technical side of things and learn the real pressures of a deadline. :wink:cool thanks

inFINSible
03-05-2006, 08:05 PM
DM, what's the diff between advertising design and graphic design?

darkmistress
03-05-2006, 08:08 PM
DM, what's the diff between advertising design and graphic design?

I don't know :confused2 they're the same to me :o

inFINSible
03-05-2006, 08:26 PM
I don't know :confused2 they're the same to me :o
No, it's me that's confused. For no particular reason I thought that advertising design would focus more on creating logos for companies where as graphic design would be more print work intensive.

darkmistress
03-05-2006, 08:41 PM
No, it's me that's confused. For no particular reason I thought that advertising design would focus more on creating logos for companies where as graphic design would be more print work intensive.
it's possible, I work for a group that deals with advertising, print and design so we do it all so to me there's no difference. I'm not sure you could survive as a designer without branching into print somewhere down the line.

but come to think of it you could be right there. We do get a lot of work in here from other design agencies that we have to double check before it gets printed. :hmmm:

Sethworld
03-05-2006, 09:08 PM
I am a creative director and I have been a graphic designer and a web designer and developer.

dolphinfan2k5
03-05-2006, 09:51 PM
Are there any certain fields or anything? Or does one person just do everything. You know what would be sweet, to get hired by the Dolphins for graphic design.

This thread should just be renamed "the ask dm thread"

darkmistress
03-05-2006, 10:04 PM
Are there any certain fields or anything? Or does one person just do everything. You know what would be sweet, to get hired by the Dolphins for graphic design.

This thread should just be renamed "the ask dm thread"
In order to do work for the phins or a similar organisation you'd more than likely have to work for a big design agency. I'd say they'd either work by yearly contracts or get several agencies to try for the imporant jobs.

PressCoverage
03-05-2006, 10:08 PM
Quark is the best for publications, I believe. I would strongly reconsider taking a job with a print media company that chooses NOT to use Quark Xpress.

darkmistress
03-05-2006, 10:31 PM
Quark is the best for publications, I believe. I would strongly reconsider taking a job with a print media company that chooses NOT to use Quark Xpress.

InDesign is a good program too only it's a bit slower but it has better features. I prefer Quark, because I'm used to it but a lot of places are using InDesign now. At least they are here.

Jt0323
03-05-2006, 10:43 PM
DM im learing Illustrator this week i have two questions is that easy to learn and also is it a good program?

darkmistress
03-05-2006, 10:54 PM
DM im learing Illustrator this week i have two questions is that easy to learn and also is it a good program?
you'll need illustrator or a program that works with vector based images. I think "Freehand" is another similar program?? I'd have to double check that. but yeah I'd say it's definitely worth learning. It took me less than two working days to be able to work freely in it from never having used it. It's quite simialr to photoshop so if you're familiar with that it should make it easier to pick up. My advice is get familiar with the "pen" tool it is very handy :wink:

Jt0323
03-05-2006, 11:00 PM
you'll need illustrator or a program that works with vector based images. I think "Freehand" is another similar program?? I'd have to double check that. but yeah I'd say it's definitely worth learning. It took me less than two working days to be able to work freely in it from never having used it. It's quite simialr to photoshop so if you're familiar with that it should make it easier to pick up. My advice is get familiar with the "pen" tool it is very handy :wink:

thanks for the advice

HULKFish
03-06-2006, 09:09 AM
Graphic design is much more than just photoshop. In fact I rarely if ever use my photoshop comp/sig skills in my design work. It's mostly page layout and brochure design etc. Get InDesign or Quark Xpress and get up to speed with your page layout and design if you're interested. There are a lot of people in the industry so don't expect too much money especially early on. Bone up on your techincal skills they are very important. Other than that it's great :wink:

My advice don't do it if you have a short fuse, clients can and will be the end of you :chuckle:

I completely agree and don't think these skills are just applied to one line of work, I do web-design and am an IT guy and graphic skills come in quite useful!

Also these are the programs of trade for things such as comic book publishing etc... If you're a pencil/ink artist at all.

Motion
03-06-2006, 09:56 AM
I have a degree in Graphic Design, but the field is so flooded in my area that it was extremely difficult to find a job. If you don't live near a big city its even harder and less paying. Not trying to discourage anyone but its the truth.