PDA

View Full Version : Jon Stewart and "Crash", Let's talk Oscars!

inFINSible
03-06-2006, 08:59 AM
I thought Jon was great last night.

After 3 6 mafia won the award for best song, they performed " It's hard out here to be a pimp".

They finish and Jon says, "Ummm, I think it just got easier out here to be a pimp."

At the begginning of the show he's recognizing all the people in the audience that were in the movie Crash and after the 5th or so a-list star he says, "Tell you what, why don't we do it like this, anybody who is not in Crash, raise your hand."

Okay it wasn't original but, it was the only way I could segway into this, I've barely even heard of Crash much less seen it, have any of you guys seen it? Was it any good?

It sounds to me like it would be something like Magnolia or Timecode. :dunno:

sugarcane
03-06-2006, 09:06 AM
This is the winners list.Never even heard of Crash but I'm glad Brokeback broke their back. ;)

http://www.cnn.com/SPECIALS/2006/academy.awards/print.ballot.html

NJFINSFAN1
03-06-2006, 09:07 AM
I didn't watch it, but the local paper says Stewart bombed?

Remember, VOTE NJ in the MUSIC DRAFT!

All Your Dreams will then come TRUE!!!:hysterikill::astro::dday::mor911::buddwalk::hump:

:1st::1st:

Dubfire
03-06-2006, 09:28 AM
I thought Stewart was great last night. Not over the top but he had enough edge to his comedy.

Crash is a great, great movie. I saw all of the Best Picture nominees and Crash by far carried the most punch. I dont want to give anything away but there are some very memorable scenes in that movie that I'll never forget.

Quelonio
03-06-2006, 09:38 AM
I loved when they presented Altman with the life achievement award, the way they presented the award was brilliant. (also the clip about the lobbying for the best sound recording award was damn funny.. though a little too technical)

GCD960
03-06-2006, 09:38 AM
I started to watch it this weekend on vacation but didnt get to see the end bc i was in a house of 17. There was no time to squeeze it in with all of the kids running around and being worn out when i got home everyday. The parts i seen up to kept having me say that this movie is great.

I can see a relation to Magnolia, its that type of movie. I never seen timecode but if its like magnolia then i will have to watch it.

I havent seen the end yet but i recommend it.

For those interested, i went to Disney World. The Aerosmith ride was hot, i rode it 5 times.

Dubfire
03-06-2006, 09:53 AM
Timecode is just a bit diffrent than Magnolia. Actually it's a bit different from any movie I've ever seen. It does follow the story of a group of people to a point in time where all their lives intersect but it does it by splitting the screen into four pictures and you have to watch them all simultaneously. It's sometimes hard to figure out which one it is that you should be paying the most attention and you also have to keep an eye on what people are doing in the other threequadrants of the screen but, It's got some big actors in it and Salma Hayek has a nice lesbian makeout scene ...:dday:

:popup:

:hump:

inFINSible
03-06-2006, 09:54 AM
I started to watch it this weekend on vacation but didnt get to see the end bc i was in a house of 17. There was no time to squeeze it in with all of the kids running around and being worn out when i got home everyday. The parts i seen up to kept having me say that this movie is great.

I can see a relation to Magnolia, its that type of movie. I never seen timecode but if its like magnolia then i will have to watch it.

I havent seen the end yet but i recommend it.

For those interested, i went to Disney World. The Aerosmith ride was hot, i rode it 5 times.
Timecode is just a bit diffrent than Magnolia. Actually it's a bit different from any movie I've ever seen. It does follow the story of a group of people to a point in time where all tyheir lives intersect but it does it by splitting the screen into four pictures and you have to watch them all simultaneously. It's sometimes hard to figure out which one it is that you should be paying the most attention and you also have to keep an eye on what people are doing in the other threequadrants of the screen but, It's got some big actors in it and Salma Hayek has a nice lesbian makeout scene ...:dday:

If I recall correctly it was all filmed in one take simultaneously in four seperate locations....and improvised.

it really is an interesting movie to watch and it doesn't hurt that it's a very good movie plotwise.

cnc66
03-06-2006, 10:17 AM
inFINS !!! ya got H.Wayne stylin'...cool, I like it better than the head bob

inFINSible
03-06-2006, 10:21 AM
inFINS !!! ya got H.Wayne stylin'...cool, I like it better than the head bob
Thanks.....The Dolphin's future is so bright, Wayne's gotta wear shades.:cooldude:

DrAstroZoom
03-06-2006, 10:36 AM
I think the industry insiders will hate Stewart's performance, but I thought he was ok.

Selma Hayek's dress last night ... :hump:

inFINSible
03-06-2006, 10:42 AM
I'm a big fan of Stewart and even though there were a few jokes that the audience didn't get or like, I was laughing at all of them. he may be a little too subtle in his delivery sometimes but, I thought he was great. I'd watch him again.

bullseyeguy
03-06-2006, 01:18 PM
Im not a big fan of Stewart, but I thought he did very well last night. Crash is a great movie, I picked it to win hands down, but i thought the academy would screw everything up and give it to the hype machine that is Brokeback Mountain...Thanks for getting it right!

dreday
03-06-2006, 01:32 PM
I thought Jon Stewart was well.....Jon Stewart.He wasnt as good as Chris Rock was.Crash should be seen by everyone.It has alot of important everyday life situations that we all go through.I thought it deserved the Oscar.

tucker
03-06-2006, 02:05 PM
crash was a good movie..glad it beat the gay cowboys..and stewart was quite funny for the most parts...and the best part of the show was seeing 3 6 mafia win...i mean 3 6 mafia actually won!!!!

Gonzo
03-06-2006, 02:15 PM
I thought Jon Stewart was a welcome change. He didn't grab at attention like most other hosts. Over the top comedy gets old for me after about 10 minutes, then I just want them to shut up.

Crash was good, though I don't know if I would compare it to Magnolia really other than the different storylines connected in someway aspect. I thought this year was a strong one for individual performances rather than strong overall movies. Best Actor and Actress really could have gone to anyone, for example.

HysterikiLL
03-06-2006, 05:44 PM
I thought Stewart was too one-linery for the Oscars, and he proved that. His funniest joke was when he was choking and pulled out the "Oh, by the way, Bjork was putting on her dress tonight and Dick Cheney shot her" line out of nowhere.

The Oscars is really only Gay/Prostitute/Transexual/Physical deformity appreciation night anyway nowadays :(

HysterikiLL
03-06-2006, 05:45 PM
By the way, did anyone see John Madden in the audience sitting behind Steven Speilberg. They didn't even have food in there, but somehow he managed to have crap spilt all down the front of his tux. :shakeno: C'mon John, C'mon.

Gonzo
03-06-2006, 10:37 PM
I thought Stewart was too one-linery for the Oscars, and he proved that. His funniest joke was when he was choking and pulled out the "Oh, by the way, Bjork was putting on her dress tonight and Dick Cheney shot her" line out of nowhere.

The Oscars is really only Gay/Prostitute/Transexual/Physical deformity appreciation night anyway nowadays :(

Yeah, its totally forgotten the inbred hick racist good ol' days. /sarcasm

All this over two movies out of how many? If only they would straighten up and make Deliverance 2.

LtDan
03-06-2006, 10:39 PM
Crash was a real good flick IMO

Jimmy James
03-06-2006, 10:39 PM
By the way, did anyone see John Madden in the audience sitting behind Steven Speilberg. They didn't even have food in there, but somehow he managed to have crap spilt all down the front of his tux. :shakeno: C'mon John, C'mon.

Wait...John Madden the Shakespeare in Love director or John Madden the guy who travels exclusively by bus doing bad color commentary for football?

Gonzo
03-06-2006, 10:41 PM
Wait...John Madden the Shakespeare in Love director or John Madden the guy who travels exclusively by bus doing bad color commentary for football?
They're different people?! :eek:

Kthurmus23
03-06-2006, 10:41 PM
Didnt see the Oscars, but I like John Stewart, so I hope he did a good job. As for Crash, it is good to see that it won, it was a very very good movie, my favorite of last year by far, to those who havnt seen it, I suggest that you do, because it is a must see.

Jimmy James
03-06-2006, 10:46 PM
They're different people?! :eek:
:sidelol:

HysterikiLL
03-07-2006, 01:35 AM
Yeah, its totally forgotten the inbred hick racist good ol' days. /sarcasm

All this over two movies out of how many? If only they would straighten up and make Deliverance 2.

Um, I was actually referring to the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Science's love affair with disordinate characters and abstract dehumanization over raw talent. My opinion of how the Academy drools over anything seen as 'Daring Blockbuster' is not positive, so I'm not quite sure what you're getting sarcastic on me. These films are cheered for their 'boldness' and 'daring escapism', whereas many films are overlooked for being too typical. See - Halle Berry in Monsters Ball, Charlize Theron in Monster, Huffman in Transamerica, Hoffman in Capote, Brokeback Mountain, Hillary Swank in Boys Don't Cry, The Crying Game and that's just completely off the head.

byroan
03-07-2006, 01:39 AM
Crash was a great movie. I recommend it to everyone who hasn't seen it.

Roman529
03-07-2006, 02:09 AM
I thought Jon was great last night.

After 3 6 mafia won the award for best song, they performed " It's hard out here to be a pimp".

They finish and Jon says, "Ummm, I think it just got easier out here to be a pimp."

At the begginning of the show he's recognizing all the people in the audience that were in the movie Crash and after the 5th or so a-list star he says, "Tell you what, why don't we do it like this, anybody who is not in Crash, raise your hand."

Okay it wasn't original but, it was the only way I could segway into this, I've barely even heard of Crash much less seen it, have any of you guys seen it? Was it any good?

It sounds to me like it would be something like Magnolia or Timecode. :dunno:

I watch a lot of movies and Crash was one of the best movies I have seen in the past couple years. It makes you really think about racism and how it effects people. Definitely rent it!!!

inFINSible
03-07-2006, 10:09 AM
I will rent it today. :D

Noodle Arm
03-07-2006, 10:33 AM
I guess I'm the only person here who thought Crash was just an average movie. It was just too heavy handed and preachy for me. Although I liked it a little more than this guy...I do agree with some of the points he made in his review http://www.chud.com/index.php?type=reviews&id=2787