PDA

View Full Version : Calf Injury Question

Agent51
03-07-2006, 09:26 PM
OK guys, I have a question. The other day I was working out, saturday to be exact, and then sunday I woke up with sore calfs, you know, the usual aches after a workout day. So I expected to wake up monday with a little MORE soreness since for me personally I am the most sore two days after the workout. Well monday rolls around and my right calfs are a little more sore but my left calf is like unbearably sore. The pain isn't really a "stabbing" or a burning or anthything like that, it feels like muscle soreness just like 20 times worse and only in that calf. The pain goes right down the middle of my calf from the back of my knee to about 2/3 down my leg. Its only on the middle and one side though, the inside part. Like I looked at a muscle chart and if you look at a back view of the leg it looks liek there are two side-by-side calf muscles, mine would be the right muscle on my left leg, or the one closest to my right leg, the "inside" muscle. A lot of medical sites say a sign of a calf strain or tear would be if I have pain pointing my toes or standing on them, but I don't, I have the pain/soreness when I flex the muscle and when I stand with my leg straight and my foot flator if I try to pull my toes up towards my knee (like the motion you do to relieve a charlie horse). In fact, the only way for me to walk on that leg without the pain is on the tippy-toes of my left foor. If I stretch it while walking then it seems to "loosen" up and I can walk with only s slight limp (but still a lot of soreness) but if I'm sitting pr laying for awhile and then I get up its iike the muscle is SUPER tight and contracted and I can't put it flat footed without a lot of the SUPER "soreness" pain. Again, the pain isn't a sharp "stabbing" pain or a burning pain, it feels like the normal muscle soreness you get after a hard wprkut just GREATLY intensified. My question is, has this happened to anyone before and does anyone know what it is, a strain or tear or just extra soreness? Also, does anyone know what I can do to heal it up because I have a surf trp coming up that I leave for next Tuesday (march 14th) and I wanna at least be able to walk for it, even if I can't surf I wanna be able to at least walk around and go see the sights of the place ya know? Any help would be greatly appreciated

anthony!
03-07-2006, 09:39 PM
Just sounds like you had a GOOD workout. I have seen me workout and not be able to walk for 2-3 days because my quads are wrecked (calves as well).

FinaciousOne
03-07-2006, 11:52 PM
OK guys, I have a question. The other day I was working out, saturday to be exact, and then sunday I woke up with sore calfs, you know, the usual aches after a workout day. So I expected to wake up monday with a little MORE soreness since for me personally I am the most sore two days after the workout. Well monday rolls around and my right calfs are a little more sore but my left calf is like unbearably sore. The pain isn't really a "stabbing" or a burning or anthything like that, it feels like muscle soreness just like 20 times worse and only in that calf. The pain goes right down the middle of my calf from the back of my knee to about 2/3 down my leg. Its only on the middle and one side though, the inside part. Like I looked at a muscle chart and if you look at a back view of the leg it looks liek there are two side-by-side calf muscles, mine would be the right muscle on my left leg, or the one closest to my right leg, the "inside" muscle. A lot of medical sites say a sign of a calf strain or tear would be if I have pain pointing my toes or standing on them, but I don't, I have the pain/soreness when I flex the muscle and when I stand with my leg straight and my foot flator if I try to pull my toes up towards my knee (like the motion you do to relieve a charlie horse). In fact, the only way for me to walk on that leg without the pain is on the tippy-toes of my left foor. If I stretch it while walking then it seems to "loosen" up and I can walk with only s slight limp (but still a lot of soreness) but if I'm sitting pr laying for awhile and then I get up its iike the muscle is SUPER tight and contracted and I can't put it flat footed without a lot of the SUPER "soreness" pain. Again, the pain isn't a sharp "stabbing" pain or a burning pain, it feels like the normal muscle soreness you get after a hard wprkut just GREATLY intensified. My question is, has this happened to anyone before and does anyone know what it is, a strain or tear or just extra soreness? Also, does anyone know what I can do to heal it up because I have a surf trp coming up that I leave for next Tuesday (march 14th) and I wanna at least be able to walk for it, even if I can't surf I wanna be able to at least walk around and go see the sights of the place ya know? Any help would be greatly appreciated

Did you over-work the calfs more than usual and neglect to stretch them afterwards.

Once many years ago, when I first got my Smith machine, I severely overworked my calfs and it felt like what you've described. The calf wants to keep contracting in self-defense. As I remembered it lasted 5-6 days. I slowly tried to stretch the calf as often as I could stand and used a warm jacuzzi. Be careful of any activity that could hurt your achilles tendon.
The problem results because the calf is such a good endurance muscle it's easy to overwork. It's also good to stretch before and after a workout. Palms on the wall, slowly move the feet backwards while keeping the foot flat on the ground. Right now it may be still to sore and tight, so take it easy since you don't want to trigger the muscle to contract more in self-defense. If it doesn't improve soon though you might need to get it looked at.

The ladies like those defined calfs, but not if you're walking on your tiptoes.:lol:
Good Luck.

Agent51
03-08-2006, 12:18 AM
Did you over-work the calfs more than usual and neglect to stretch them afterwards.

Once many years ago, when I first got my Smith machine, I severely overworked my calfs and it felt like what you've described. The calf wants to keep contracting in self-defense. As I remembered it lasted 5-6 days. I slowly tried to stretch the calf as often as I could stand and used a warm jacuzzi. Be careful of any activity that could hurt your achilles tendon.
The problem results because the calf is such a good endurance muscle it's easy to overwork. It's also good to stretch before and after a workout. Palms on the wall, slowly move the feet backwards while keeping the foot flat on the ground. Right now it may be still to sore and tight, so take it easy since you don't want to trigger the muscle to contract more in self-defense. If it doesn't improve soon though you might need to get it looked at.

The ladies like those defined calfs, but not if you're walking on your tiptoes.:lol:
Good Luck.

Thanks for the responses guys. I didn't work them THAT much more than usual, just added a few reps to each set, but now that I think of it I DID forget to stretch after. I'm hoping its just extra soreness from a good workout and not a tear, cuz like I said I have a big trip coming up in a week, lol. The thing that had/has me worried is its only my left calf that kills, the right one is just a little sore, thats why it has me thinking something it wrong. I've been using the R.I.C.E thing (rest, ice, compression, elevation) and I have also periodically been stretching it lightly just to loosen it. It has only been a day and a half of the super soreness so i really can't say if it is working that well or not, maybe 'll have a better idea of the R.I.C.E. effectveness after another night's worth of ice and elevation.

FinaciousOne
03-08-2006, 12:49 AM
Thanks for the responses guys. I didn't work them THAT much more than usual, just added a few reps to each set, but now that I think of it I DID forget to stretch after. I'm hoping its just extra soreness from a good workout and not a tear, cuz like I said I have a big trip coming up in a week, lol. The thing that had/has me worried is its only my left calf that kills, the right one is just a little sore, thats why it has me thinking something it wrong. I've been using the R.I.C.E thing (rest, ice, compression, elevation) and I have also periodically been stretching it lightly just to loosen it. It has only been a day and a half of the super soreness so i really can't say if it is working that well or not, maybe 'll have a better idea of the R.I.C.E. effectveness after another night's worth of ice and elevation.

My left was worse too. It's not uncommon for one side to be stronger than the other. You should know for sure in a couple more days. No use in worrying. Just be carefule for the next few weeks because your calfs may be much tighter and susceptible to tendon injuries. A friend blew out his achilles playing racquetball after an episode of tight calfs. It takes a while to get the flexability back.

FinaciousOne
03-09-2006, 09:52 PM
How did the leg turn out?

Agent51
03-09-2006, 10:09 PM
How did the leg turn out?

Hey, thanks for askin' dude, I was actually gonna post an update but I didn't get a chance to go through all the backpages to find it yet, lol. It's OK, my hopes, and your thoughts, were right, it must've just been a particularly good workout. It's still a little bit sore but I can walk fine now, not even CLOSE to what is was the past three days. Looks like I'm gonna be able to surf in Spain in 5 days after all!

FinaciousOne
03-09-2006, 10:12 PM
Good to hear. Have fun.

Pink_Dove
03-10-2006, 12:29 AM
Hey, thanks for askin' dude, I was actually gonna post an update but I didn't get a chance to go through all the backpages to find it yet, lol. It's OK, my hopes, and your thoughts, were right, it must've just been a particularly good workout. It's still a little bit sore but I can walk fine now, not even CLOSE to what is was the past three days. Looks like I'm gonna be able to surf in Spain in 5 days after all!

Surfing in Spain. :hail:

Are you heading up to Basque country ? Some nice places down there...PM me if you need any info, I know the country pretty well..