PDA

View Full Version : Foodies

Roman529
03-08-2006, 05:53 PM
For all you chefs and Foodies out there...what is the best food you know how to make? For me it is spaghetti. I make some killer sauce and garlic bread too. :wink:

Rocky Raccoon
03-08-2006, 06:05 PM
For all you chefs and Foodies out there...what is the best food you know how to make? For me it is spaghetti. I make some killer sauce and garlic bread too. :wink:

I make a mean hot pocket...ham and cheese :D

GRAPEAPE
03-08-2006, 06:15 PM
I make stuffed pork chops. Get thick cut, slice a gap, insert cream cheese, garlic and chives, close em' up with toothpicks and throw them on the grill.

They rock

Noodle Arm
03-08-2006, 06:22 PM
My grilled cheese sandwiches are top notch. Wanna add turkey?..ham?..no problem! You want it nicely toasted or extra crispy? Well then you'll get it!

People think it's easy to do, but in reality it's a fine art that I have mastered. Getting the right kind of bread, the perfect cheese, adding the meat and whatever else needs to be added, putting the perfect amount of butter (or margarine) in the pan and knowing the precise time to flip it over so it won't get too burnt takes time and effort.

Miamian
03-08-2006, 06:26 PM
Good question. I'll put my garlic sauce up against your's, even though it's the one of the easiest things to make in the world.

I don't do this anymore, but probably my best creation was chicken fillets in mamey cream sauce. Recently I've made a good sauteed fish in passion fruit sauce. Once I tried to make jicama sorbet and it was good, but I ruined it when I tried to add a little spearmint extract. I wanted to use fresh mint but couldn't find it that day.

I used to do a lot of Chinese cooking and made Szechwan green beans pretty often as well as twice-cooked dishes.

NaboCane
03-08-2006, 06:28 PM

Roast chicken with 40 cloves of garlic.

Start with a nice fat roaster, 5-7 lbs, marinate it overnight in a large ziplock bag with about 1/2 cup good olive oil (I like Spanish Hojiblanca); a small amount of a vinegar of your choice; whatever herbs you have on hand (but you HAVE to have thyme, rosemary, sage, and a small amount of oregano); sea salt and fresh-ground black pepper.

When you're ready to bake, put the chicken and marinade in a roasting bag and set it in a pan; use 1 tsp coarse sea salt to salt the top of the chicken under the skin - this'll make it tastier; take 40-60 cloves of garlic (unpeeled) and place them in the bag/pan surrounding the chicken and throw a few in the cavity - make sure the garlic is half-covered by the marinade, if not add more olive oil.

Baste the bird well one last time (the bag will take care of the basting while it bakes) and close the bag; bake at a very low temp - 200-225 is good - for about 2-3 1/2 hours, depending on bird size; use a meat thermometer to make sure the bird reaches no less than 135 degrees (it will cook some more after you take it out of the oven) but no more than 140 - it'll dry out the bird; remember that it needs to rest at least 10 minutes before carving.

After you take it out and the bird has cooled enough to handle, (but still warm) put 2 tbs butter in a blender, about 2 tsp of cream, (or enough to let the butter and garlic blend smoothly) and squeeze the poop out of 5-10 of the garlic cloves in as well; smear this paste under the breast skin and over it while the bird is still warm.

You can serve the garlic cloves with the chicken and let your guests have fun squeezing them...or squeeze them into a saucepan with some cream, salt, white pepper and a little roux, and whisk to make a gravy...or squeeze them onto some good bread and make roasted-garlic bread. Carve, serve, and enjoy the praise.
</IMG>

lazareth
03-08-2006, 06:31 PM
scallops and red pepper fettucine alfredo

EDIT: kind of hard to say though, I do all the cooking (wife can't cook...looks like I didn't do enough research!)

poornate
03-08-2006, 06:39 PM
Ican whip up some picture perfect Tuna, Avocado, and ginger maki rolls. (sushi)

Buddwalk
03-08-2006, 06:54 PM
I make a nice steak with a special sauce i make that i soak the steak in...tastes awesome too

Dubfire
03-08-2006, 07:57 PM
Coming from a family that includes 3 Chefs, cooking is one of my hobbies.

ONe of my favorites that was also a big hit last year for Valentines Day :hump: is:

Potatoe encrusted Tilapia Filet sauteed and fnished in a broiler laid atop a mesculin mix that's been lightly dressed with a balsamic vinegarette.

Sauce for the fish? A bernaise of course using good white wine. None of the cheap stuff for Chef Dub!!:lol:

Roman529
03-08-2006, 08:18 PM
I wish I could cook like you guys!!! Good eats. I also make a killer grilled cheese sandwich. :tongue:

:eating:

NaboCane
03-08-2006, 08:51 PM
I wish I could cook like you guys!!! Good eats. I also make a killer grilled cheese sandwich. :tongue:

:eating:

I also make really great franks in beer. I'm talking about the huge franks from Trader Joe's. Mmmmm....

Dubfire
03-08-2006, 08:53 PM
:beerbang:

Nikki's in beer taste much better!!:dday:

bullseyeguy
03-08-2006, 09:14 PM
Ive always been popular when Ive mad blackened salmon and my from scratch alfredo...Cooking is really the easiest thing ever, all you have to do is follow directions 90% of the time.

NaboCane
03-08-2006, 09:25 PM
:beerbang:

Nikki's in beer taste much better!!:dday:

:lol: That's the cool thing about stuff once you buy it - you can then name it anything you want...:groucho: :nabo:

HysterikiLL
03-09-2006, 12:35 AM
I have to eat hot food, so I make a sweet Cochinita Pibil that I marinate in achoite for 48 hours...then I law it on a bed of brown rice with jalapeno's and I chop up some jamaican habanero peppers and mince them through the rice...nobody else in the family can eat it, but it's all good. Takes forever to make though

d-day
03-09-2006, 12:37 AM
my spiderman foodies are money, especially on a cold night

dolphan117
03-09-2006, 12:52 AM
This thread is making me hungry.