PDA

View Full Version : For the KISS fans

Pagan
03-09-2006, 06:27 PM
One of the classic all-time interviews on TV. Ace Frehley was FACED in this interview, and steals the show. Watch Gene Simmons get PISSED when Ace takes over the interview.

Back when they were still cool! :lol:

Tom Snyder KISS Interview. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0jzve-Tmd70&search=KISS%20interview)

Rocky Raccoon
03-09-2006, 06:29 PM
they were never cool Pagan :chuckle:

NJFINSFAN1
03-09-2006, 06:29 PM
They were cool!

I saw an TV commercial the other day with Gene!

Pagan
03-09-2006, 06:35 PM
they were never cool Pagan :chuckle:
You're 19, you know nothing. :lol:

Man, in the 70's, KISS was Slipknot to the 10th power bro.

Ask anyone who was a teenager then, they were GODS. :rawk:

GRAPEAPE
03-09-2006, 06:38 PM
they were never cool Pagan :chuckle:Bite your tounge!

Rocky Raccoon
03-09-2006, 06:38 PM

maybe it is because I'm 19...my best friend is 20 and is a HUGE fan of KISS...they just never did it for me...I always thought the costumes were stupid, but again, you may be right, maybe I had to be alive during the '70's to see it.

Buddwalk
03-09-2006, 06:40 PM

My dad actually hated them to death...he thought they were a bunch of morons going around dressing up...My dad however was a humongous and still is today Aerosmith fan

NJFINSFAN1
03-09-2006, 06:43 PM
Boy, back in the day of drinking and driving (NOT RECOMMENDED!!!!)

Detroit rock City blasting in the car!!! WOW!!!

GRAPEAPE
03-09-2006, 06:45 PM
In High school I was in a crappy garage band, we played KISS, and Jimmy Buffett. quite the combo huh. Strutter, Love Gun, Detroit rock city, Beth, God of thunder. followed by Margaritaville :sidelol:

Pagan
03-09-2006, 06:53 PM
The thing about KISS is that before they got HUGE, they were f'ing MEAN.

You need to see some live clips from right up until "Alive!" was released. That album was KISS at they're RAWEST, before Hollywood took over. No poofy costumes back then, just all black leather and studs.

They were actually metal in '75 and '76. This interview was from '78 or '79, when they started going into the crapper.

WharfRat
03-09-2006, 07:00 PM

Absolutely...

They really broke ground back then... they did what everyone else wanted to do but were afraid to.

The early years before "Rock N Roll Over" were the best.... it went downhill from there IMO

WharfRat
03-09-2006, 07:01 PM

You need to see some live clips from right up until "Alive!" was released. That album was KISS at they're RAWEST, before Hollywood took over. No poofy costumes back then, just all black leather and studs.

They were actually metal in '75 and '76. This interview was from '78 or '79, when they started going into the crapper.

:yes:

Alive was thier last "great" album.

Destroyer was good, but not nearly as good as the old stuff...

WharfRat
03-09-2006, 07:02 PM
Boy, back in the day of drinking and driving (NOT RECOMMENDED!!!!)

Detroit rock City blasting in the car!!! WOW!!!

Yeah man!!!

Ya gotta lose your mind.....

:rockon:

TJamesW_phinfan
03-09-2006, 08:46 PM
And what an album Alive was. The energy on tunes like cold Gin, Black Diamond and others. Peter ripping out a great drum solo. Closing up with Rock and Roll all Night... and then Rock and Roll. All simplistic music but great tunes all the same and a great album. Kiss was an amazing experienced live not just for the theatrics but the energy their shows had. It was a very good time for rock and roll. :)

edit: Oops Let Me Go Rock and ROll not Rock and Roll. :)

Buddwalk
03-09-2006, 08:56 PM

Hey i got nothing against kiss...I got a paul stanley apocolypse sitting in my room with duncan pickups in it. The things awesome except its only got 22 frets and no tremolo

So in other words It never gets used

Hellion
03-09-2006, 09:03 PM
Actually Alive was (and still is) considered one of the best live albums of all time. My favorite song on that LP is "Let me go Rock-N-Roll" they just rip that song.

Like Pagen said, they were dark meen and meant buisness early on. The last LP that I truely loved (studio) was "Rock in Roll Over".

But to sit and listen to the 1st album Kiss, "Dressed To Kill" and "Hotter Than Hell" man you hear what they were meant to be before the marketing machine took over.
I remember an interview with Paul Stanley and he said that in 78' he looked out his hotel window in NY and seen moms and kids in Kiss makeup and though "What the F*&^ happened?" " this isn't what we wanted"

That's another reason why Ace and Peter wanted out.

But 70's Kiss is some great music. I remember My oldest brother hated them, but I knew he never heard anything but Beth, Hard Luck Woman and Detroit Rock City, one day he was in my car and I put in Alive and played Let me go Rock-N-Roll, he said it was a great song and I just smiled when he asked who it was...........:D Its Kiss Bro:D

P.S. I actually stayed up and watched that interview when it originally aired.

TJamesW_phinfan
03-09-2006, 10:04 PM
Actually Alive was (and still is) considered one of the best live albums of all time. My favorite song on that LP is "Let me go Rock-N-Roll" they just rip that song.

Like Pagen said, they were dark meen and meant buisness early on. The last LP that I truely loved (studio) was "Rock in Roll Over".

But to sit and listen to the 1st album Kiss, "Dressed To Kill" and "Hotter Than Hell" man you hear what they were meant to be before the marketing machine took over.
I remember an interview with Paul Stanley and he said that in 78' he looked out his hotel window in NY and seen moms and kids in Kiss makeup and though "What the F*&^ happened?" " this isn't what we wanted"

That's another reason why Ace and Peter wanted out.

But 70's Kiss is some great music. I remember My oldest brother hated them, but I knew he never heard anything but Beth, Hard Luck Woman and Detroit Rock City, one day he was in my car and I put in Alive and played Let me go Rock-N-Roll, he said it was a great song and I just smiled when he asked who it was...........:D Its Kiss Bro:D

P.S. I actually stayed up and watched that interview when it originally aired.

Gak! Thats right it was Let me go Rock and Roll not Rock and Roll sorry my brain is turning to goo with age. :) And yes they did rip on that one.

dQbell
03-09-2006, 11:08 PM
Not only were they a great band, but they were great actors....

Kiss Meet the Phantom of the Park!

A classic.

calphin
03-10-2006, 12:05 AM

back in the day,I drove my parents crazy with my Kiss albums.

Pagan
03-10-2006, 12:17 AM
About three years ago I went to a Costume party in Salem, MA dressed as Paul Stanley. Had the entire "Love Gun" costume that I made from scratch and won a prize that night. :wink:

Hey, how many 41 (at the time) year old guys could even FIT into a costume like that! :lol:

http://www.finheaven.com/images/imported/2007/01/measpaul9-1.jpg

calphin
03-10-2006, 12:32 AM
About three years ago I went to a Costume party in Salem, MA dressed as Paul Stanley. Had the entire "Love Gun" costume that I made from scratch and won a prize that night. :wink:

Hey, how many 41 (at the time) year old guys could even FIT into a costume like that! :lol:

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y179/Blazeland/measpaul9.jpg

damn good resemblance...Hell,I couldn't fit into that costume when I was 21, much less 41.more like meat loaf now.:boohoo:

TJamesW_phinfan
03-10-2006, 02:33 AM

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y179/Blazeland/measpaul9.jpg

Good job on the costume. But how many months of rehab therapy did your feet and or ankles need after a night in those shoes. :D Kind of amazing some of the moves Paul Stanley could pull on stage wearing those though. The rest were a little less acrobatic if I remember right.

d-day
03-10-2006, 02:43 AM
perspective: in the 70's there were not a whole lot of bands like today with all the different genres of music like we have today - no mtv, no satellite radio - there was no cable tv, just 3 channels - it was just the radio, which never played anything really good and going to concerts - that was it, going to concerts - this made bands like kiss and alice cooper truly over the top and godlike - with a band like kiss you got to see all the special effects and explosions and blood that we see now everyday on tv etc., but once a year at the nearest arena if you were lucky to get a ticket - it was truly a memorable experience - one that i'll never forget - i saw the dynasty tour in 1980 - but an experience that i think the younger posters could never understand

Roman529
03-10-2006, 03:03 AM
You youngsters here just don't realize how big Kiss was in the 1970's....especially around 1977 ....I was about 11 years old at the time....my friend's entire room was KISS. There really wasn't much rock besides them (Maybe Aerosmith, but Kiss was so much bigger)....the Disco era had just started, the Bee Gees were doing their thing, Peter Frampton was jamming and selling tons of records (there were no CD's back then). Kiss was selling out places like Tiger Stadium in Detroit (80,000+ fans). Pagan knows what he is talking about.

d-day
03-10-2006, 03:10 AM
You youngsters here just don't realize how big Kiss was in the 1970's....especially around 1977 ....I was about 11 years old at the time....my friend's entire room was KISS. There really wasn't much rock besides them (Maybe Aerosmith, but Kiss was so much bigger)....the Disco era had just started, the Bee Gees were doing their thing, Peter Frampton was jamming and selling tons of records (there were no CD's back then). Kiss was selling out places like Tiger Stadium in Detroit (80,000+ fans). Pagan knows what he is talking about.

damn whipper snappers... :chuckle:

DonShula84
03-10-2006, 06:56 AM
KISS is cool, I havent listened to that much of them, but what I've heard I've liked. I met Gene in Vegas a few years ago, guy was a dick but that's probably to be expected. I saw Paul Stanley at a Foreigner concert of all things but didnt get a chance to say anything to him.

Pagan
03-10-2006, 08:14 AM
perspective: in the 70's there were not a whole lot of bands like today with all the different genres of music like we have today - no mtv, no satellite radio - there was no cable tv, just 3 channels - it was just the radio, which never played anything really good and going to concerts - that was it, going to concerts - this made bands like kiss and alice cooper truly over the top and godlike - with a band like kiss you got to see all the special effects and explosions and blood that we see now everyday on tv etc., but once a year at the nearest arena if you were lucky to get a ticket - it was truly a memorable experience - one that i'll never forget - i saw the dynasty tour in 1980 - but an experience that i think the younger posters could never understand
I'm SAYin! I saw them for the first time on New Year's Eve 1975 at the Nassau Coliseum. I JUST turned 14, and they were so much larger than life at the time. I had been to other concerts before, but man...nothing even came close to what I saw that night.

Ducken
03-10-2006, 08:20 AM
I was a huge Kiss fan back in the day. I still am a huge fan of the old Kiss but I have not fallowed them after Peter and Ace left the band. I think I am one of the few people who actually like the album Music from the Elder. But then again a listen to a whole variety of types of music, I can go from Metal one day to classic Country, to classic Rock to easy listening. IMO looking back on things, when they did the solo albums that was the beinning of the end for the original band members. Looks like I'll be pulling out some Kiss cds today.

dQbell
03-10-2006, 08:36 AM
Not only were they a great band, but they were great actors....

Kiss Meet the Phantom of the Park!

A classic.

Anyone remember this movie? :sidelol:

GRAPEAPE
03-10-2006, 09:33 AM
Anyone remember this movie? :sidelol:Terrible movie, Gene just growled, and ace had that insane laugh through the whole thing, that's all i remember.

Pagan
03-10-2006, 10:25 AM
I think I am one of the few people who actually like the album Music from the Elder. .
I'm a member of that club also Ducken. Very underrated album. The songs "The Oath" and "I" are classic. I had the priviledge of meeting Eric Carr backstage at an Ozzy concert in the late 80's, and he had to be one of the nicest human beings I've ever met. So humble for his stature as a rock star.

Years later my band played a memorial concert for Eric at a local club (he's from my area) and a few days after that his sister called to personally thank us for helping to keep his memory alive.

That was definitely one of the highlights of my career.

Anyone remember this movie? :sidelol:
Remember it? I have it on DVD! :lol:

One of the all-time CLASSIC "cheese" movies! :goof:

While we're on the topic of KISS, anyone ever hear of the band that was hot around the same time as them, ANGEL? AWESOME band that unfortunately listened to their label and transformed themselves from early prog metal to power pop, and torpedoed their career. They were right up there with KISS for me when I was a teenager.

They reunited a few years ago for a tour, and we got the good fortune to open up for them at their show here. Getting to hang out with a band that I worshipped when I was a teenager was a MIND blower. The singer Frank Dimino hung out with me after the show and we talked for awhile, and about ten minutes into the conversation it dawned on me that here was one of my idols sitting there talking with me, and not just talking as a musician to a fan but as his equal.

http://www.finheaven.com/images/imported/2006/07/mefrank-1.jpg

BLEW me away.

WharfRat
03-10-2006, 10:48 AM
I'm a member of that club also Ducken. Very underrated album. The songs "The Oath" and "I" are classic. I had the priviledge of meeting Eric Carr backstage at an Ozzy concert in the late 80's, and he had to be one of the nicest human beings I've ever met. So humble for his stature as a rock star.

Years later my band played a memorial concert for Eric at a local club (he's from my area) and a few days after that his sister called to personally thank us for helping to keep his memory alive.

While we're on the topic of KISS, anyone ever hear of the band that was hot around the same time as them, ANGEL? AWESOME band that unfortunately listened to their label and transformed themselves from early prog metal to power pop, and torpedoed their career. They were right up there with KISS for me when I was a teenager.

They reunited a few years ago for a tour, and we got the good fortune to open up for them at their show here. Getting to hang out with a band that I worshipped when I was a teenager was a MIND blower. The singer Frank Dimino hung out with me after the show and we talked for awhile, and about ten minutes into the conversation it dawned on me that here was one of my idols sitting there talking with me, and not just talking as a musician to a fan but as his equal.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v520/WitchBass/mefrank.jpg

BLEW me away.

I remember Angel ... I had their White Hot and Sinful albums...on vinyl. :D

Great band!

d-day
03-10-2006, 12:24 PM

BLEW me away.

sinful was the one i liked best - i loved bad time - pretty heavy song for them - i remember as kid watching the movie foxes whenever they showed it on tv and waiting, just waiting for the few parts that showed jodie foster and the girls at the angel show... :wink:

Pagan
03-10-2006, 12:31 PM
sinful was the one i liked best - i loved bad time - pretty heavy song for them - i remember as kid watching the movie foxes whenever they showed it on tv and waiting, just waiting for the few parts that showed jodie foster and the girls at the angel show... :wink:
Dude, Sinful was their most "poppy" album!

You need to pick up the self-titled debut or Helluva Band. You wouldn't believe how heavy they were.

Even On Earth As It Is In Heaven is pretty heavy.

For the young 'uns....this is what KISS was in '75, before they started glamming out. This is when they scared the bejeebus out of parents and were worshipped by headbangers.

http://www.finheaven.com/images/imported/2006/03/kis54-1.jpg

http://www.finheaven.com/images/imported/2006/03/ksnw14-1.jpg

DrAstroZoom
03-10-2006, 03:27 PM
I like my version of KISS better.

Ducken
03-10-2006, 08:41 PM
I like my version of KISS better.

I don't know..........they both kick major ***!!:wink:

Hellion
03-11-2006, 12:20 PM

BLEW me away.

Yup, add me to the club, at first I was like "what the hell?" but after you listen to it you start to hear what they were trying to do, and then it works.

The album I had the biggest hatred for was Unmasked:shakeno: after that they came out with Creature of the Night and redeemed themselves but then the rest of the 80s' kicked in and it was all down hill from there.
I would pick and choose songs off of each album that I felt were worthy thru the 80s and 90s but the albums as a whole were not very good.

That's why when i refer to being a Kiss fan I say 70s' Kiss.

Bobby Humphrey
03-11-2006, 10:23 PM
I caught a Ace Frehley guitar pick at a concert once. Fivers where shared by all.