03-10-2006, 11:07 AM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/4197686.stm

Very interesting..

Motion
03-10-2006, 11:19 AM
Heard that on the radio this morning.

inFINSible
03-10-2006, 05:19 PM
That is a small moon, only 317 miles across, it's amazing that it has geologic activity at that size.

NaboCane
03-10-2006, 06:24 PM
That is a small moon, only 317 miles across, it's amazing that it has geologic activity at that size.

Enough to create water geysers! At a surface temp of -300F with no atmosphere though, I imagine it's not water for long.

TJamesW_phinfan
03-10-2006, 09:40 PM
Didn't they find water on one of Jupiters moons too a while back or eveidence of it?

NaboCane
03-10-2006, 09:58 PM
Didn't they find water on one of Jupiters moons too a while back or eveidence of it?

Yes, on Europa. But I think there it was the possibility of water; here it was confirmed visually.

cnc66
03-10-2006, 10:03 PM
liquid water is the ticket

King Felix
03-10-2006, 10:47 PM
about all this space talk. i went to mars once.

DwayneWade
03-11-2006, 12:06 AM
Whats so intresting its water lol.

TJamesW_phinfan
03-11-2006, 01:38 AM
liquid water is the ticket

Right. If I remember right they said something like the ice patterns showed that water may be flowing underneath but could not confirm it for Europa.

It all reminds me of the movie and novel 2010. :)

TJamesW_phinfan
03-11-2006, 01:41 AM

Liquid water is a major component for life, as our science defines it, to form or exist.

Blitz
03-11-2006, 02:51 AM

Because it leaves open the possibility of there being life on Enceladus. If we find life on Enceladus it will be one of the greatest discoveries of all-time. It would also make all of the world's major organized religions go the way of the gods of Olympus.

TJamesW_phinfan
03-11-2006, 10:46 AM
Because it leaves open the possibility of there being life on Enceladus. If we find life on Enceladus it will be one of the greatest discoveries of all-time. It would also make all of the world's major organized religions go the way of the gods of Olympus.

It may wreck televangelists and most of the “this is the way it is period” types, but I doubt it would destroy religion all together. I am a Christian and discovery of life out there wouldn't shake my faith one bit. Although I have always seen the Bible as a kind of a hint book rather than absolute fact since it was written by men and men are corruptible. It would definitely generate a lot of rethinking for everyone which would be a great thing.

It’s funny in that in the scientific community many of the most learned ones that are very quick to dispute the bible still believe in God to some degree that there is some kind of presence (God) that started things beyond random happenstance.

I think it is also important to realize science is not infallible. They have and will continue to find once thought absolute science facts were indeed wrong and disproved. We are a young culture in terms of how old our universe is and we have much still to learn.

I believe that there has to be life out there just because of the enormity of the universe. I doubt they will find it in our solar system though due to temperature and other extremes. It wouldn’t surprise me if they found rudimentary life (bacteria etc) or evidence of it from the past on Mars because it is closest to us in general climate and is theorized to have once had running water and a sustained non toxic atmosphere. But who knows what can live in what environments. They have found creatures here on earth that thrive in boiling water around volcanic underwater vents.

Technology and our knowledge of the universe has changed more in the last hundred years than in our entire previous history. Look at how many old science fiction things are now every day normal life. The next hundred years are going to be pretty amazing. Kind of a bummer that I will only get to see around a third of those and then only if I am lucky. :)

Dors156
03-11-2006, 10:48 AM
intresting