PDA

View Full Version : Computer Help!!!

aquaattak
03-10-2006, 11:39 PM
just got a computer for my daughter and wanted to install the hard drive from the old one on the new one,

I tried and a blue screen flashes quickly and reboots...OVER AND OVER AND OVER AGAIN!!!:boohoo: :fire:

Obviously something is wrong. Can anyone give me some tips on how to correct this...

Thanks a mill!

mor911
03-10-2006, 11:52 PM
Could be a million things actually.

1. Jumpers on the drive could be set bad... Meaining, if it's the sole drive on the PC it should be on Master or Cable select. If you have dual drives, keep 'em both on Cable select or one on Master and the other on Slave.

2. A cable isn't plugged in all the way somewhere. Check all of your IDE cables.

3. There's some kind of bios error going on. If you put the old HD in and it works, this probly isn't it.

4. The HD is just plain old bad. It's a long shot, but possibly the HD you're putting in is screwed.

NOTE -- May also want to make sure your power supply is sufficient.

:D

aquaattak
03-11-2006, 12:01 AM
ide's are fine...

HD DOSENT WORK and its the ONLY HD (maybe this info will help)

HD worked in other computer, tried another one with win2000 on it and it didnt work either

I believe the PS is enough...

I will check the jumpers, but for the record i go to the BIOS and it detects just fine.

Any ideas?:confused:

Wildbill3
03-11-2006, 07:54 AM
ide's are fine...

HD DOSENT WORK and its the ONLY HD (maybe this info will help)

HD worked in other computer, tried another one with win2000 on it and it didnt work either

I believe the PS is enough...

I will check the jumpers, but for the record i go to the BIOS and it detects just fine.

Any ideas?:confused:If nothing else worked, try to reset the bios using the jumpers on the motherboard.

Second, like MOr said, make sure the jumper on the HD itself is set to CABLE Select...

Muck
03-11-2006, 12:04 PM
just got a computer for my daughter and wanted to install the hard drive from the old one on the new one,

I tried and a blue screen flashes quickly and reboots...OVER AND OVER AND OVER AGAIN!!!:boohoo: :fire:

Obviously something is wrong. Can anyone give me some tips on how to correct this...

Thanks a mill!

Is Windows 2000 or XP still on this old hard drive?? Does the old hard drive work fine when you install it back into the old computer??

If so, what you're seeing is normal. Windows 2000/XP were designed to be very intolerant of chipset changes. Microsoft wants you to buy a seperate copy of Windows for every computer. And this is one way they try and dictate that.

When this happens, the only solution is to perform a complete format/re-install of Windows. But I'm assuming the reason you wanted to swap the drive is because she's got data/programs/etc. on that drive. In that case, there are several ways to back up and transfer those files to the new computer's hard drive, which should still work fine in the old machine. But the programs will have to be reinstalled from scratch.