PDA

View Full Version : Mac OS X Hacked In Less Than 30 Minutes

Agent51
03-11-2006, 01:50 PM
Firgured This was an interesting article for all you techies out there, and Mac fans:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nf/20060306/tc_nf/41948

FIN-IN-RI
03-11-2006, 02:34 PM
Good. I hate the ppl that act like Mac is soooo superior to M$ in security..

SCall13
03-11-2006, 02:37 PM
Wow, 30 minutes. That's pretty impressive, or pretty pathetic -whatever side your looking at it from.

The Samurai
03-11-2006, 02:54 PM
Windows can be hacked in 30 seconds. And yes, MAC is superior to windows. Ive had both

Agent51
03-11-2006, 07:18 PM
Windows can be hacked in 30 seconds. And yes, MAC is superior to windows. Ive had both

Nobody said Windows couldn't be hacked, but ther aren't articles on contests that MS runs claiming nobody can hack Windows and then somebody DOES hack it, in a half an hour at that, that's pretty pathetic. At least if you are going to have a contest like that and challenge hackers make SURE you can back up your claims, or at least make sure it can't be done embarassingly fast when you claim it can't be done at all.

I'm not trying to start a Mac vs PC war here either, I was just posting the article becuase it was interesting. All a computer is to me is a way to browse the net and do art projects. I use a PC and a Windows laptop for all my internet and music/movie downloading (shh, don't tell anyone, lol) and I do most of my photoshop work on it and I use a MAC desktop and laptop for all the video editing I do from all my surf trips and surf/snowboard films my friends and I do. I have no prefernece/loyalty to either, although if I had to pick I'd say PC because I just like it better for some reason, but that's my own prefernece, I'm not saying it's better than MAC or not, I don't use MAC enough (outside of video editing) to know about it.

darkmistress
03-11-2006, 07:31 PM
. . .Although Gwerdna said that Mac OS X contains unpatched vulnerabilities that would permit a hacker to infiltrate Apple's operating system, he said that the relatively small number of Macs in use -- in contrast to the vast number of PCs running Windows -- is the reason more hackers do not try to exploit them . . .

. . .According to Weafer, the number of Mac vulnerabilities discovered and the possibility they will be exploited will gradually rise as a direct result of an increased interest in Mac OS X . . .

That's exactly what I was about to post before I read the article, reading it just saved me the typing time :chuckle:

I think most mac users are aware that once the mac becomes "the pc to have" hackers and viruses will become a problem.

FIN-IN-RI
03-11-2006, 08:23 PM
That's exactly what I was about to post before I read the article, reading it just saved me the typing time :chuckle:

I think most mac users are aware that once the mac becomes "the pc to have" hackers and viruses will become a problem.

MAC will never become the "pc to have".

Ever.

Not that I care either way but if there is any developer that will overtake M$ in the OS department it will be that of a Unix varient or something Google concocts.

Jt0323
03-11-2006, 08:28 PM
i use a mac at school so im not too use to it, but its a petty cool set up. i mostly use it for photoshop and illustrator and soon flash

FIN-IN-RI
03-11-2006, 08:30 PM
i use a mac at school so im not too use to it, but its a petty cool set up. i mostly use it for photo shop and illustrator and soon flash

It's the best system for graphic design and such, far superior to any other platform out there. As for other capabilities of the platform it dwarfs in comparison to Linux and Window$ (more or less).

darkmistress
03-11-2006, 08:57 PM

Ever.

Not that I care either way but if there is any developer that will overtake M$ in the OS department it will be that of a Unix varient or something Google concocts.

ok I'll take your word for it :rolleyes2

Jimmy James
03-11-2006, 09:16 PM

Ever.

Isn't MacOS now technically a Unix variant?

Motion
03-12-2006, 01:12 AM
I love my MAC :D

Majpain
03-12-2006, 01:36 AM

lol not for gaming its not.

FIN-IN-RI
03-12-2006, 09:43 AM
ok I'll take your word for it :rolleyes2

:lol:

snippy, but par for the course (with me that is)....:shakeno:

FIN-IN-RI
03-12-2006, 09:47 AM
Isn't MacOS now technically a Unix variant?

Hm.. so it is.. shows how much I pay attention to Macs.. It's where the X comes from.. thanks JJ now I got some reading to do..

"The core of Mac OS X is an open source Unix-like (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unix-like) operating system, built around the XNU kernel with standard Unix facilities available from the command line interfaceThe core of Mac OS X is an open source Unix-like operating system, built around the XNU kernel with standard Unix facilities available from the command line interface"

Src: wikipedia

Muck
03-12-2006, 10:26 AM
Hm.. so it is.. shows how much I pay attention to Macs.. It's where the X comes from..

I was under the impression the X was roman numeral (OS 10).

FIN-IN-RI
03-12-2006, 10:31 AM
I was under the impression the X was roman numeral (OS 10).

And that is true too.. I just read that.

FIN-IN-RI
03-12-2006, 10:37 AM
http://www.finheaven.com/images/imported/2006/03/Unix-1.png

FinaciousOne
03-12-2006, 06:23 PM
To the best of my knowledge, my Atari 800 has never been hacked and they've had almost 30 years.