PDA

View Full Version : Nintendo Revolution info. needed

SKing29
03-11-2006, 08:45 PM
Yeah, I'm wanting to buy a next generation system. I'm a Playstation pusher but I fear that the PS3 will be way too much for a poor college student, and as far as the XBOX 360 goes well let me say I would like a system that has more than one successful gaming series, but I do love me some Halo. So that leaves the next Nintendo, I know that the Nintendo systems are usually cheaper than the others so thats a big selling point for me. However, I don't go for Nintendo's kiddy feel and they seem hesitant to go online (which I don't know why I care since I live in the boondocks and can only get dial-up), but anyways does anybody have any good info. on the next Nintendo system the Revolution. Any help would be appreciated.

Mike13
03-11-2006, 11:30 PM
nothing new has been announced yet.

dolphinfan2k5
03-12-2006, 12:51 AM
My advice to a college kid would be to stay away from Nintendo. Unless of course you love Mario. There isn't too much information on the Revolution yet though, I'm just basing my opinion on past products.

Medieval954
03-14-2006, 11:37 PM
This is a pretty good and updated FAQ.

http://www.revolutionreport.com/nintendo_revolution_faq

We'll know MUCH more starting May 9th.

Link
03-17-2006, 03:25 PM
Here is a good place to find all you want to know about the Revolution. http://revolution.ign.com/

It will be great. I am very excited to see Metroid Prime 3 and play the new Zelda on it. Plus it will be much cheaper from what I have heard. $150 to $200 is the rumored price.

bullseyeguy
03-17-2006, 03:51 PM
I just love the backwards compatibility of it...Im for sure gonna buy one, just so I can play Bond!

SKing29
03-18-2006, 12:28 AM
Yeah, I heard off my local news channel that the PS3 will be 500 smackers, thats crazy there s no way a normal gamer can afford that. I even consider myself a hardcore gamer, but that price tag alienates us poor folks. I would love to have a PS3 so that I could play my PS2 games on it as well as PS3 games, but not for that price. If that is the right price then Sony is making a huge mistake and might as well hand over the reigns to the XBOX 360. Sheesh 500 bucks man that crazy.

P.S. Thanks for all the info. guys.

phinpunk14
03-18-2006, 11:26 PM
Yeah, I heard off my local news channel that the PS3 will be 500 smackers, thats crazy there s no way a normal gamer can afford that. I even consider myself a hardcore gamer, but that price tag alienates us poor folks. I would love to have a PS3 so that I could play my PS2 games on it as well as PS3 games, but not for that price. If that is the right price then Sony is making a huge mistake and might as well hand over the reigns to the XBOX 360. Sheesh 500 bucks man that crazy.

P.S. Thanks for all the info. guys.

I've been hearing the same. If all of these rumors about the PS3 being extremely expensive are false, Sony needs to put a stop to them immediately. I really want a PS3 for Gran Turismo, but I am getting closer and closer to buying an xbox 360 just b/c I don't think I will be able to afford a PS3.

bullseyeguy
03-18-2006, 11:54 PM
What makes you think they are false? With the cost of making the systems as high as they are, I cant see the price being any lower than 5 bills...

Despacio
03-23-2006, 03:54 AM
I think you should know that Nintendo is no longer competing directly with the XBOX 360 and PS3. They are going for innovation with a completely new way of playing games (see controller).

I don't think your going to get your standard share of games on the Revolution. The best setup is a XBOX 360 or PS3 since they are targeting the same audience, with a Revolution on the side.

The 360 and PS3 are really lloking interchangable in the graphics/gameplay/online department. Aside of course from tha fact that one has certain franchises and the other has others. But the Revolution is certainly going to be a unique console in the history of gaming.

Just wait till E3, all will be revealed.

Medieval954
03-24-2006, 03:01 AM
Iwata also announced partnerships with Sega and Hudson to offer downloadable access to their classic games via Revolution's Virtual Console. Revolution owners will be able to relive their past gaming glories from the Sega Genesis console by playing a "best of" selection from more than 1,000 Genesis titles, as well as games sold for the TurboGrafx console (a system jointly developed by NEC and Hudson). These games join Revolution's access to 20 years of fan-favorite Nintendo games from the NES(R), Super NES(R) and Nintendo(R) 64 eras.
http://revolution.ign.com/articles/697/697882p1.html

Very nice :)

Link
03-24-2006, 03:12 AM
Not only will the Revolution be awesome to play, man does it look good.

http://www.finheaven.com/clear.gif

SKing29
03-24-2006, 08:09 PM
Actually from reports I've heard, they said that Nintendo does plan on competing with Sony and Microsoft for the number one console. Honestly I think Nintendo has a shot to win the next generation wars at least with hardcore gamers. I mean I like all of the new fangled online abilities for certain games and blu ray technology and such, but it seems that console video gaming is losing its soul and that is innovation. I mean I know money runs the world but I don't want to see console gaming become just PCs with controllers, I want to have a totally different experience and I believe the Revolution will deliver that. I personally love the idea of downloading the old games that I grew up playing with friends and making memories that I'll never forget, its different and creative. Although, if the Revolution doesn't come with a DVD player that is stupid on Nintendo's part, because some features are just a necessity nowadays. Well I just wanted to share my point of view.

Link
03-24-2006, 10:51 PM
Actually from reports I've heard, they said that Nintendo does plan on competing with Sony and Microsoft for the number one console. Honestly I think Nintendo has a shot to win the next generation wars at least with hardcore gamers. I mean I like all of the new fangled online abilities for certain games and blu ray technology and such, but it seems that console video gaming is losing its soul and that is innovation. I mean I know money runs the world but I don't want to see console gaming become just PCs with controllers, I want to have a totally different experience and I believe the Revolution will deliver that. I personally love the idea of downloading the old games that I grew up playing with friends and making memories that I'll never forget, its different and creative. Although, if the Revolution doesn't come with a DVD player that is stupid on Nintendo's part, because some features are just a necessity nowadays. Well I just wanted to share my point of view.

Actually according to Nintendo it will come with a DVD player option. Although we don't know exact specifics now, we will know soon. E3 is now a little more then a month away. Also, I am a huge Nintendo fan and I have to say I love the direction they are headed in. I think this will change gaming forever. For example with Zelda imagine instead of controlling Link and his movements you now are Link. What I mean is with that controller imagine using it as if it was the Master Sword or a Boomerang, swinging it in the exact direction you want the sword or boomerang to go. It will be awesome to have that level of precision and control. Plus that is just one of the many possibilities that comes with this controller. First Person Shooter will rock on it.

SKing29
03-25-2006, 02:06 PM
Yeah I did want a PS3 in the next generation wars, but the Revolutions price and innovative tech are really swaying me towards the Nintendo camp. Usually I don't go for Nintendo's little gimmicks like touch screens and GBA-GC conncectivity and the controller for the Revolution sort of intrigues me but not a lot. The real selling point for me is the downloadable old games. I mean I can just imagine playing the old marios along with Mario 64, plus I haven't played any of the NES Marios or Zeldas (actually I've only played Ocarina of Time). Plus if I can play Duck Hunt, its on. Yeah I hope Nintendo can deliver on the old games I'm sold, but I have a question: Are all of the downloadable games free (I heard a long time ago they might be but I heard on G4 they wouldn't be) or will there be a subscription like XBOX Live. I always loved the PS2 for its free online gameplay, although it wasn't as good XBOX Live but it did offer games for us dial-up users, who can't get broadband. So I just want to know about the subscription deal for all of the Revolutions old downloadable games.

bullseyeguy
03-25-2006, 04:33 PM
Ive got a friend who has basically every console and damn near every game ever...He is pumped about the Revo, because hes gonna put all the old stuff in storage and just be able to have one system to compensate...I think Nintendo will sell alot of them on this principle alone...

Link
03-25-2006, 10:46 PM
Yeah I did want a PS3 in the next generation wars, but the Revolutions price and innovative tech are really swaying me towards the Nintendo camp. Usually I don't go for Nintendo's little gimmicks like touch screens and GBA-GC conncectivity and the controller for the Revolution sort of intrigues me but not a lot. The real selling point for me is the downloadable old games. I mean I can just imagine playing the old marios along with Mario 64, plus I haven't played any of the NES Marios or Zeldas (actually I've only played Ocarina of Time). Plus if I can play Duck Hunt, its on. Yeah I hope Nintendo can deliver on the old games I'm sold, but I have a question: Are all of the downloadable games free (I heard a long time ago they might be but I heard on G4 they wouldn't be) or will there be a subscription like XBOX Live. I always loved the PS2 for its free online gameplay, although it wasn't as good XBOX Live but it did offer games for us dial-up users, who can't get broadband. So I just want to know about the subscription deal for all of the Revolutions old downloadable games.

From what I have heard the old games will either be free or have a small fee. Again we will know exactly what the case is when E3 gets here.

Despacio
03-30-2006, 11:59 PM
Like I said before, the Revolution will not compete directly with the PS3/360. Your really going to need a PS3/360 for your standard fix of games (Madden, Halo, etc.)

The Revolution is focusing only on gameplay alone with its unique controller, because check out this report that basically says the Revolution's horsepower is barely that of on original XBOX:

http://revolution.ign.com/articles/699/699118p1.html

The video game community is in an uproar at the moment. The Revolution WILL NOT be offering cutting edge graphics, but it will offer unique, innovative gameplay. It's a Gamecube 1.5 with a nifty controller that could or could not change the way we play games forever.

So you really need two consoles this generation.

Majpain
03-31-2006, 02:07 AM
Drop Nintendo please just go with Sony PS3 is having free online with a huge game selectio.Does anyone know if it will play PS2 games?

SKing29
03-31-2006, 01:38 PM
Despacio, good argument, but as the article you provided said, that even though the Gamecube couldn't hit the Xbox's and PS2's polygon peaks, Resident Evil 4 was one of the prettiest games of the generation and when a game is built ground up for a Nintendo system it can be visually stunning. So I think that some Revolution games may compete with the new PS3 and Xbox360, but I know the latter two will have more power. Nintendo is taking a huge risk, and because of that and their innovation I will take a huge chance on their next system. I will leave my PS2 games for the PS2 instead of buying a PS3 because it is backwards compatible, which was a big selling point for me. I am getting a little tired of video game systems being based on power and being media centers, I want some innovation and something fun to play. The Revolution had better deliver on their promises of really low prices for the system and the downloadable content as well as innovation, because I along with many others, are sacrificing having a system that can do many more things, for a system that can possibly be a blast.

Despacio
04-01-2006, 08:03 AM
Despacio, good argument, but as the article you provided said, that even though the Gamecube couldn't hit the Xbox's and PS2's polygon peaks, Resident Evil 4 was one of the prettiest games of the generation and when a game is built ground up for a Nintendo system it can be visually stunning. So I think that some Revolution games may compete with the new PS3 and Xbox360, but I know the latter two will have more power. Nintendo is taking a huge risk, and because of that and their innovation I will take a huge chance on their next system. I will leave my PS2 games for the PS2 instead of buying a PS3 because it is backwards compatible, which was a big selling point for me. I am getting a little tired of video game systems being based on power and being media centers, I want some innovation and something fun to play. The Revolution had better deliver on their promises of really low prices for the system and the downloadable content as well as innovation, because I along with many others, are sacrificing having a system that can do many more things, for a system that can possibly be a blast.

Well, first off I admire the fact that you are embracing the Revolution and it's risk on gameplay over graphics. I've always been a big Nintendo supporter and the prospect of what the Revolution can be has excited me since they first unveiled the remote. And then of course I learned it wasn't just a "remote" and was promptly blown away even more.

I'll certainly admit, the standard familiar gameplay but with better graphics mold is getting a little tired (oh look, Halo 3, it's like Halo 2 except with new guns, special effects, and 8 more people in big team battle).

But the Revolution will be a beast of a different nature, and it's going to be a challenge for Nintendo to challenge all gamers to try something new, and hey, maybe something even better. Although I do have to say that it's raw horsepower was a little dissapointing. Sure, RE4 looked great for the Gamecube, but it was a mutli-million dollar budgeted game that took years to develop. Plus, any Nintendo fan is aware of the extended period between great games on a Nintendo console. Nintendo needs more third-party support, and the unorthodox nature of the Revolution will make this an even bigger challenege.

What I am pretty sure of is that the Revolution will indeed be a cheaper console than the competition. That's certainly a plus. But I still think at this point it serves as a "side" console to the more standard offerings of a PS3/360.

What I like about such a label is that as the demographic for 360/PS3 is cannablized by each other since they serve the same functions (all in one media center, cutting edge graphics, etc.), everyone will have a Revolution on the side. Say you have 100 gamers, 50 own a PS3, 50 own a XBOX 360, and 100 own a Revolution as there side console b/c "Oh, hey man, did you see what that new Nintendo machine does? Yeah, that's cool I got to get me one of those. Hey, it's only $150, even better."

Winner? Nintendo! Well at least one can hope it works out as such.

So to wrap up all this scattered rambling? I guess it's:

A) I admire your commitment to nintendo's bold vision by making the Rev your sole next gen console.

B) I don't think many gamers will make the Rev their sole console b/c of the unorthodox nature and lack of horsepower.

C) The Rev will probably be a secondary console to a lot of gamers, at least initially.

D) That's not such a bad thing, in fact, it can be great for Nintendo and maybe even make them #1 again.

Anyways, what do any of us really know at this point anyways, right? It all comes down to E3. What will Nintendo show? The anticipation is almost as high as opening day against Pittsburgh. :dolphins:

Link
04-01-2006, 04:32 PM
I would just like to add that those specs on IGN could or could not be exact. Nintendo is still finalizing the Revolution and we won't know for sure till the presentation at E3. I would also like to point out that graphics are nice and all but seriously when you have such great graphics on all of these systems and possibly a little less for the Revolution, what comes to the front as a large factor? Game play. You know I will never understand people and their insane need for amazing visuals. I like them as much as everyone else but game play is more important to me. I mean for me The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time is still the best game ever made followed by The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past for the SNES. Game play has always meant more to me. Also I would like to point out that the Revolution controller will have a shell that resembles a more traditional controller that it can slide into for games like Madden and so on.

Majpain
04-01-2006, 04:41 PM
You guys know the Revo is going to be a little bit more powerful than the orignal Xbox right?

SKing29
04-01-2006, 09:50 PM
Actually, I have never been a Nintendo fanboy, I have a SNES and N64, but I've never fell in love with them like I have my PS2, Dreamcast, and Genesis. Actually, I was a SEGA fanboy and wish they hadn't have quit making hardware, because the Dreamcast was so fun and inventive. I mean the VMU was awesome, playing games and such on the VMU was so fun. I remember reading an EGM magazine that was talking about the PS2, XBOX, and Gamecube (still called the Dolphin:wink: in the magazine) before they were even close to coming out and they were talking about how they wished maybe the XBOX would try a VMU idea. Anyway I'm done with my "The Dreamcast was awesome" rant, and what I'm getting at is that the Revolution could be the next Dreamcast at least for me. I hope the Revolution, isn't Nintendo's last system of course but I'm talking fun wise. I think the Revolution has a chance to be Number 1 again on price alone, because not many people that aren't hardcore/money to blow gamers won't pay $500 bucks for a PS3 (if its lower, then yes). Plus the XBOX 360 charges you a $100 extra for their premium system for wireless controllers and a 20GB harddrive (which I could get for a hand of beans, if I were to buy one). Basically, in summary I am just dissapointed at how Microsoft and Sony are jacking up their prices and taking advantage of their loyal fans and other gamers its a shame. I know thats business but I commend Nintendo for understanding what video games are all about and not charging their fans and other gamers out their bums for their system and games

Medieval954
04-02-2006, 07:31 PM
You guys know the Revo is going to be a little bit more powerful than the orignal Xbox right?
No it isn't. Matt Casamassina was comparing an x86 chip (Xbox) to a PPC chip (GameCube), which are different architectures, and both have different graphics chips, NVidia (Xbox) and ATI (GameCube). So comparing them on clock speed numbers alone is moronic, even for him. The Revolution being 2x more powerful than a GameCube is a bigger deal than being 2x more powerful than an Xbox.

That being said, no one knows what the final specs are because the specs aren't final yet and he is making an uneducated guess based on an unnamed "source" on an unfinished dev kit. Everyone knows the Revolution won't be nearly as powerful the Xbox 360 or Playstation 3, as even Nintendo has said as much, but to make an unfair comparison like that is pretty weak, even for IGN.

Wait for E3 :)

Majpain
04-02-2006, 07:49 PM
Still I rather have a PS3.

Medieval954
04-02-2006, 08:02 PM
Still I rather have a PS3.
I want a PS3 too, and when the price goes down, I'll get one.

For now, I'll stick to my PS2, GameCube and DS and await the launch of the Revolution :D