PDA

View Full Version : Website creating programs?

dolphinfan2k5
03-12-2006, 03:59 PM
I know there are some good programs out there that you create websites with, but I'm not sure what us the best one. I've only really heard of one and that's Dreamweaver. Is that the best? I know a little html, and I'm not sure how much you need to know to use these programs.

unifiedtheory
03-12-2006, 04:18 PM
I hate Dreamweaver like poisen.

I use Photoshop for image creation (tabs, boxs etc.) and good old HTML hand coding for placement.

When I'm doing big sites that are strictly image based I use ImageReady. You can do a lot with that program. Making areas for text only is really easy.

Even with all the fancy programs you'll still need some knowledge of HTML, Javascript and style sheets.

Sethworld
03-12-2006, 04:19 PM
Dreamweaver is far and above the best... though if you are just after learning HTML... the a simple text editor like notepad is the best way to learn proper coding skills. A program like Dreamweaver will let you code very quick, but won't really teach you anything.

dolphinfan2k5
03-12-2006, 05:09 PM
I'm not really sure what I want. Right now all I can do is slice stuff in ps so that I can make headers and stuff. I don't know how you position text boxes and stuff so that you can type text in, not just have the text saved on the picture. Here is a website me and my friends made, the content is pretty much all inside jokes but here. www.freewebs.com/summervideo I did all that last summer and its pretty much all that I can do. I guess I just want to be able to do more complex stuff without having to spend hours and hours figruing out coding and stuff. I thought of this thread because I was reading this thing on miniclip.com and it said that you could put your games on your website through Dreamweaver. Here is what I was reading: http://www.miniclip.com/webmaster_faq.htm

Sethworld
03-12-2006, 05:51 PM
HTML is just text... you don't need anything special to do any of it.

dolphinfan2k5
03-12-2006, 05:56 PM
Well then what is Dreamweaver for? Html isn't just text? It does stuff with pictures and positioning and stuff too.

Sethworld
03-12-2006, 06:02 PM
Dreamweaver just has extra features that makes it easier and quicker... that is all. HTML is just text... hypertext markup language (HTML). Just a simple programming language that tells a browser what to do... but basically just text. There are some good tutorials online... just do a search for HTML tutorials in google and start practicing. I have been doing this for 10 years now.

dolphinfan2k5
03-12-2006, 06:26 PM
Dreamweaver just has extra features that makes it easier and quicker... that is all. HTML is just text... hypertext markup language (HTML). Just a simple programming language that tells a browser what to do... but basically just text. There are some good tutorials online... just do a search for HTML tutorials in google and start practicing. I have been doing this for 10 years now.

Like I said, I know some html, I made that website by myself. I think I thought you meant that html was only something you use for text, like to format it and stuff. Anway, I'm still confused about what Dreamweaver does. Is there a place that gives a free trial?

darkmistress
03-12-2006, 06:32 PM
I hate Dreamweaver like poisen.

you're crazy :goof: j/k :tongue:

PS, Image Ready and Dreamweaver make my life so easy :chuckle:

darkmistress
03-12-2006, 06:35 PM
Like I said, I know some html, I made that website by myself. I think I thought you meant that html was only something you use for text, like to format it and stuff. Anway, I'm still confused about what Dreamweaver does. Is there a place that gives a free trial?

Have you ever used frontpage? It's the same thing. It's basically a way of making websites without having to type out each bit of code... the program does it for you. It's like a page layout program only it's for the web instead of print :wink:

dolphinfan2k5
03-12-2006, 06:48 PM
Have you ever used frontpage? It's the same thing. It's basically a way of making websites without having to type out each bit of code... the program does it for you. It's like a page layout program only it's for the web instead of print :wink:

Nope. So is it kinda like Pagemaker except everything you do it codes and saves that into and html file like ps saves slices? Does it do slices like ps? If I were to get on of these programs what would you recommend.

darkmistress
03-12-2006, 07:33 PM
Nope. So is it kinda like Pagemaker except everything you do it codes and saves that into and html file like ps saves slices? Does it do slices like ps? If I were to get on of these programs what would you recommend.

I usually make my web page in PS then in image ready (although I don't think you have to use IR) I cut it up and save images and html (I think is what it's called). Then I open the HTML in dreamweaver and it has automatically set up my slices into the page I designed in PS. Then I can add layers, text, links etc.

I would recommend Dreamweaver, but I don't web design for a profession so I'm not sure if that is actually the best or easiest program to use. I'm just used to it :wink:

dolphinfan2k5
03-12-2006, 07:49 PM
I usually make my web page in PS then in image ready (although I don't think you have to use IR) I cut it up and save images and html (I think is what it's called). Then I open the HTML in dreamweaver and it has automatically set up my slices into the page I designed in PS. Then I can add layers, text, links etc.

I would recommend Dreamweaver, but I don't web design for a profession so I'm not sure if that is actually the best or easiest program to use. I'm just used to it :wink:

All right, thanks for the info. I'm gonna have to try it out.

dolphinfan2k5
03-15-2006, 03:15 PM
I just downloaded the free trial. Any good sites for tutorials or for the basics?

MillerTime
03-15-2006, 03:28 PM
http://www.pixel2life.com/tutorials/DreamWeaver/All/