PDA

View Full Version : Purim

Miamian
03-13-2006, 09:41 AM
The Jewish festival of Purim starts tomorrow. It's the happiest day on the calendar. We dress up in costumes; eat and eat, in particular triangular pastries called Hamantaschen in Yiddish, Oznei Haman (Haman's ears) in Hebrew; and party. The point of the holiday is to celebrate saving the Jews who lived in the Persian empire from the evil plans of the wicked Haman, one of King Ahasuerus' courtiers.

There's actually a commandment that you have to get drunk. The rule is until you don't know the difference between Haman and Mordechai (symbols of right and wrong).

In Israel some places have parades. I saw the one last year in Ra'anana, it was great, Latin-like with giant papier-mache bird heads (Jewish law forbids human statuary). Unfortunately, I had to work this year and missed it.:cry:

Right now I'm fasting. It's a traditional fast held each year before the start of the holiday.

Chag Sameach!

cnc66
03-13-2006, 10:16 AM
well eat up and enjoy !! I have never heard of this holiday and I don't recall any of my Jewish friends, who would party at the drop of a hat, ever celebrating it. Is this a mostly Israeli holiday ?

Miamian
03-13-2006, 10:38 AM
well eat up and enjoy !! I have never heard of this holiday and I don't recall any of my Jewish friends, who would party at the drop of a hat, ever celebrating it. Is this a mostly Israeli holiday ?
Oh no, it's celebrated by Jews worldwide. I'm surprised that they don't know it because it's considered an important holiday. Are they religious? Most secular Jews know very little. I certainly knew very little growing up, only to fast on Yom Kippur, have a seder which for us was nothing really special on Passover, get presents at Chanukah and that was pretty much it. All I knew about Purim was the costumes and hamantaschen.

cnc66
03-13-2006, 10:45 AM
Oh no, it's celebrated by Jews worldwide. I'm surprised that they don't know it because it's considered an important holiday. Are they religious? Most secular Jews know very little. I certainly knew very little growing up, only to fast on Yom Kippur, have a seder which for us was nothing really special on Passover, get presents at Chanukah and that was pretty much it. All I knew about Purim was the costumes and hamantaschen.

hmmm, maybe I'll sandbag a couple and wish them a "happy" tomorrow...shame them that a Gentile knows more about Jewish holiday's/parties than they do.

NaboCane
03-13-2006, 11:36 AM
The Jewish festival of Purim starts tomorrow. It's the happiest day on the calendar. We dress up in costumes; eat and eat, in particular triangular pastries called Hamantaschen in Yiddish, Oznei Haman (Haman's ears) in Hebrew; and party. The point of the holiday is to celebrate saving the Jews who lived in the Persian empire from the evil plans of the wicked Haman, one of King Ahasuerus' courtiers.

There's actually a commandment that you have to get drunk. The rule is until you don't know the difference between Haman and Mordechai (symbols of right and wrong).

In Israel some places have parades. I saw the one last year in Ra'anana, it was great, Latin-like with giant papier-mache bird heads (Jewish law forbids human statuary). Unfortunately, I had to work this year and missed it.:cry:

Right now I'm fasting. It's a traditional fast held each year before the start of the holiday.

Chag Sameach!

This is cool. :D

How long have you lived in Israel now? Have you acclimated to the way of life, or still finding yourself comparing?

Chag Sameach!

Miamian
03-13-2006, 02:17 PM
This is cool. :D

How long have you lived in Israel now? Have you acclimated to the way of life, or still finding yourself comparing?

Chag Sameach!
Just over 14 months. I think I've acclimated, but I could never adopt all the customs. I'll probably always compare.

The one big thing that I'm missing is a professional job.:boohoo:

Roman529
03-13-2006, 04:54 PM

Chag Sameach!

Good God!!! I am going to have to convert from Catholicism to Judaism. :lol:
Seriously, my sister-in-law is Jewish and I love Matso Ball soup, and we have a great New York style kosher deli here....great food. I hope to visit Israel and the Holy Land one of these days. I also have a sister-in-law who is a Muslim and she just married my twin brother who is in Kuwait. We all "broke bread" together at a nice feast this past Christmas.

cnc66
03-13-2006, 06:30 PM
ever hear of this guy? Hasidic reggae you can hear him here; http://www.myspace.com/matisyahu (http://www.myspace.com/matisyahu)

http://www.finheaven.com/clear.gif

Miamian
03-14-2006, 05:57 AM
Good God!!! I am going to have to convert from Catholicism to Judaism. :lol:
Seriously, my sister-in-law is Jewish and I love Matso Ball soup, and we have a great New York style kosher deli here....great food. I hope to visit Israel and the Holy Land one of these days. I also have a sister-in-law who is a Muslim and she just married my twin brother who is in Kuwait. We all "broke bread" together at a nice feast this past Christmas.
Sorry dude, this isn't a salad bar. If get permission to get drunk then you have to fast too.:tongue: